This Might Shine Some Light....

Stagger

We've all had speculation and thoughts on this subject (Some more than others)....

This was from a Q&A on the Zone last night with Phil and Jill Lesh:

By mind left body (Molesh) on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 12:45 am: Edit Post

Phil, how did you meet John? Were you familiar with DSO or did you guys just pick up and jam one day?

By Phil Lesh (Kilowatt) on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 12:53 am: Edit Post

Molesh;

As one who is classically trained, I actually always thought that DSO was very cool, treating GD music as repertoire- much as I've tried to do in my various bands. I was familiar with the concept, but not the players. When Bob and I decided to put Furthur together, Jill suggested we try John out. After our first session, we were sold.

DSO Keep on doin' what you do best...Keepin' the spirit ALIVE!

-Stagger

• Forum MVP

Molesh;

As one who is classically trained, I actually always thought that DSO was very cool, treating GD music as repertoire- much as I've tried to do in my various bands. I was familiar with the concept, but not the players. When Bob and I decided to put Furthur together, Jill suggested we try John out. After our first session, we were sold.

No shit Phil. If you love GD music (and I know you do) it is impossible to resist thinking that this band is very cool. I would go as far as to say there may have been a little inspiration there.....

:dsorocks:

We've all had speculation and thoughts on this subject (Some more than others)....

This was from a Q&A on the Zone last night with Phil and Jill Lesh:

By mind left body (Molesh) on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 12:45 am: Edit Post

Phil, how did you meet John? Were you familiar with DSO or did you guys just pick up and jam one day?

By Phil Lesh (Kilowatt) on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 12:53 am: Edit Post

Molesh;

DSO Keep on doin' what you do best...Keepin' the spirit ALIVE!

-Stagger

I find this very interesting......I guess he thought DSO was so cool, he could never find the time/desire to make a guest appearance with them(as other members of the Dead have!)

I suppose I should be glad Mrs. Lesh came up with the idea of auditioning JK ? ;)

I guess this thread will finally put to rest any ideas that selecting thier lead guitarist from DSO was purely a musical decision & in no way a selfish decision to remove one of the many extremely talented musicians from DSO ! :rofl:

Well Mr. Lesh- DSO still has a large fan base,because of the community it has fostered for the last dozen years-Now we just get to enjoy 2 bands performing Grateful Dead music instead of only DSO !

Peace,

Rob

I guess he thought DSO was so cool, he could never find the time/desire to make a guest appearance with them(as other members of the Dead have!)

Big deal...Why does everyone make a point of the fact that Phil never sat in with DSO as some sort of slight or disrespect......

Respectfully I think that notion is ridiculous....

The guy said he thought the concept of DSO was cool..but that he really did not know the players....

That answer seems fair to me........What is it with the anti-phil cadre around here....

Sheesh.....

• Advisory Board

I call horseshit on Phil's answer concerning DSO... I think he had to say those things because it shows him in a good light... I only say this because I've seen the 2 sides of Phil... in public, he's the nicest person you'd ever think to meet... When not in public, he's a dick... atleast that's how I took him the few times I've met him in non-public ways...

just my .02... don't y'all get your panties in a bunch over my opionon..

:D

What I wanna know is how SENOR JACKALOPE gets to meet and greet with Phil ?? I know this topic is all over the joint and I know alot of Furthers decisions seem pretty FISHY ! I will say this I am really happy for Phil and Bob . Its like they got a new lease on life . It's like they are living again . Kinda like when WE found DSO ! I know there is a lot that is wrong but I'm a sucker for being nice . You know if it took Johnny going to furthur for US to get respect out there, then we are winners . If WE get to see DSO on fire with JEFF destroying it then again we are winners . If DSO gets pushed by furthur, then we are winners ! Again I know ALOT of this stinks , but man OH MAN , alot of this is GOOD ! Senor Herd I gotta know , oh and I love you kid ! :) :) :)

anth

• Forum MVP

...shit, go read his book.

not to direct the conversation in a different direction... but that's not very true. His book is honest and there are many areas where looks down upon himself for the decisions he made. He was smart enough to get out of the stuff he was doing though... now look at Phil, 70 with no signs of aging.

not to direct the conversation in a different direction... but that's not very true. His book is honest and there are many areas where looks down upon himself for the decisions he made. He was smart enough to get out of the stuff he was doing though... now look at Phil, 70 with no signs of aging.

Vinny,

I think you should read a few other books by the Grateful Dead Family-They paint quite a different picture of Mr. Lesh!

Alot of the same events are told by others, let's just say slightly different that he recalls them!

I would be happy to recommend a few I've read, if your interested.

Peace,

Rob

Guest Mind Of A Squirrel

Big deal...Why does everyone make a point of the fact that Phil never sat in with DSO as some sort of slight or disrespect......

Respectfully I think that notion is ridiculous....

The guy said he thought the concept of DSO was cool..but that he really did not know the players....

That answer seems fair to me........What is it with the anti-phil cadre around here....

Sheesh.....

I'm with you on this. I think that as fans we see everything 'GD' through rose colored glasses.

The people who made the music have an entirely different perspective I'm sure. They lived it.

Just because some other band starts playing their music doesn't mean they're all suddenly going to run to the well just to join in. it's been nice when they have, but we shouldn't expect that...

Old ballplayers don't show up at spring training expecting to take the field... They hang back and sign autographs.

I loved his book.

• Forum MVP

Saying "I've always thought..." anything, when such language occurs in an interview or other public wordsmithing rhetorical environment, is almost always a backpedal. No matter whether it's Phil or any other public figure. If you notice people using "I think" vs "I've always thought" you'll find the latter occurs when backpedaling and the former when sincere. No correlation of this nature is 100% but this one is compelling at least in my experience of parsing waaaay too much of what people say. Naturally it's my opinion based upon my empirical observations.

Even so that's just rhetorical stuff.

I say let Phil be Phil and TM is right we are doubly blessed with music these seasons.

"As one who is classically trained, I actually always thought that DSO was very cool, treating GD music as repertoire--much as I've tried to do in my various bands..."

>> Saying "I've always thought..." anything, when such language occurs in an interview or other public wordsmithing rhetorical environment, is almost always a backpedal.

An expression for back-pedaling is 'singing a different song.' If we're hearing that tune, then we might be hearing some inner qualifier, like "As one who is classically trained--(although I've never formally acknowledged or endorsed them)--I actually always thought that DSO was very cool, treating GD music as repertoire...."

There is the distinct possibility that he is being completely sincere, academically / intellectually and personally, but has previously not brought that sentiment to form, until now, for whatever reasons, as the "heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own..."

I call horseshit on Phil's answer concerning DSO... I think he had to say those things because it shows him in a good light... I only say this because I've seen the 2 sides of Phil... in public, he's the nicest person you'd ever think to meet... When not in public, he's a dick... atleast that's how I took him the few times I've met him in non-public ways...

just my .02... don't y'all get your panties in a bunch over my opionon..

Agreed. More food for thought......ever think fill might be saying this to increase the furthur phan base? Is it a surprise that they have dropped ticket prices close to DSO's ticket prices? I heard the rumors years ago about how fill couldn't stand the fact that DSO was out there keeping the spirit alive. Make no mistake, fillz moves are calculated.

Does all this hatred toward Phil keep you folks up at night ??

I sure hope not ...

I think assuming that the posts on this topic are a direct result of hatred is very short-sided. Didn't scrutinize all the posts but didn't see anyone say they hated phil. Don't know the guy, so how could we hate him?

Archived