Wellmont Theatre - Montclair, Nj

found

• Forum MVP

Hey y'all. Just checking to see whose gonna be in attendance tonight. I remember reading a lot of people from the boards should be there. My brother and I will be there with a few buds but I'd like to meet some of you fine folk. I'll be wearing white jeans and this shirt (http://www.havetohaveitco.com/images/GratefulDead/GD53.jpg). You can use my profile pic for reference. So don't be scared to say hello, it's okay to talk to strangers...

Having said all that. I'm very excited for tonight. Both times they played here they fucking rocked the house. Expecting an elective setlist so it should be a real hootenanny. Taking one of my really good friends to his first dead related show and what better introduction than DSO.

:dsorocks:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Hey y'all. Just checking to see whose gonna be in attendance tonight. I remember reading a lot of people from the boards should be there. My brother and I will be there with a few buds but I'd like to meet some of you fine folk. I'll be wearing white jeans and this shirt (http://www.havetohaveitco.com/images/GratefulDead/GD53.jpg). You can use my profile pic for reference. So don't be scared to say hello, it's okay to talk to strangers...

Having said all that. I'm very excited for tonight. Both times they played here they fucking rocked the house. Expecting an elective setlist so it should be a real hootenanny. Taking one of my really good friends to his first dead related show and what better introduction than DSO.

:dsorocks:

Unfortunately, I will not be in attendance tonight to make your acquaintance found. I graduate from Georgetown today and my parents won the fight of graduation ceremony vs. DSO show. I have a feeling you guys are in for a monster show. Last nights show was great and I wouldn't expect anything less tonight. It was great to see the band playing at such a high level and maybe even more importantly, all in good spirits and really enjoying playing the music for us. I am eternally grateful.

• Forum VIP

Apparently Herdy cant make the show either Harvard Graduation is today, he is graduating with a Summa Cum Donkey..which is a very honorable award...he is special....you are the man Herdy........Congrats to all the Graduates .....Dr. V

• Forum MVP

Due to a glitch in the Dark Star Orchestra setlist page, I can't post set list until 2:00 a.m. east cost time. Since I won't have internet access then and may not have it tomorrow, I'm posting it here for now.

05-22-2010 [ # 1806 ] Wellmont Theater [Montclair, NJ]

Set One:

The Wheel > Greatest Story Ever Told ; It Takes A Lot To Laugh It Takes A Train To Cry ; Cassidy ; Hard To Handle ; Simple Twist Of Fate ; Lazy Lightning > Supplication ; Might As Well

Set Two:

Feel Like A Stranger ; Cats Under The Stars ; Weather Report Suite > Let It Grow > Mountains of the Moon > Drums > Space > Dark Star (verse 1) > Mason's Children > Not Fade Away

Encore:

Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion) > Let It Rock > And We Bid You Goodnight

• Forum MVP

dso show # 100 for me and WOW WOW WOW>>> I'll try to gather my thoughts on the show later, gotta go to work now...

yes herdy, sickness in stomach.... :dsorocks: :dsorocks: :dsorocks:

anyone who sweats like chuckvegas must be-all-right....

• Forum VIP

Dark Star...Mason's Children...Hard to Handle....Weather Report...Mountains of the Moon...Cats down under....Let it Rock....WOW...how come we can have an anstronaut in space working today on the space lab and we cant get a simple live stream of a show from New Jersey... i would have paid $25 to hear that show...come on techies get on this.....my 2 cents....Dr. V

• Forum MVP

Jill has it right - absent friends were missed because....well, because they weren't there!

Herdy, get over the drive heaves and hit the road for next weekend....Dr. V, the best and the brightest of Herdy's classmates are busy now setting it up for Tarrytown.

x13629858.jpg

Plus, as an added extra bonus, we got the late-night best Bertha ever...

• Forum MVP

Had a blast last night. My friend was blown away by how much DSO brought it. Jeff Mattson melted our faces off and we danced the whole night long. DSO was very timely too. Came out right at 8 o'clock.

The wheel opener was cool surprise and very well played which went right into a very ripping Greatest Story ever told. Takes a lot to laugh really showcased JM's blues skills and a nice first set ballad. Cassidy was great as always, had some awesome twists and turns. Great communication by the band. Hard to Handle was funky and went world wide. Rob B let the pigpen loose. Simple Twist was another great first set ballad that put any fears about JM's voice to rest. I think he sounds great behind the mic. Lazy Lightning>Supplication was good, always a pleasure to hear. Rob E always brings it for that pairing. First set had a very nice eclectic mix of songs.

Met Kieu during the set break and she was a total sweetheart. Probably one of the nicest nicest and kindest people I've ever met. She had a very warm spirit about her. Anyways we had some nice convo and she introduced me to some other board members after the show (August West and nwnj steve). It was very nice to meet all of you and i hope to see you at some more shows in the future. Me and my brother will be at the DSO show in Brooklyn next so until next time...

Feel Like a Stranger opener was absolutely fucking S-M-O-K-I-N'! Cats Under Stars sounded really awesome and had some great jams. I'll never turn down some JGB from DSO. Weather Report Suite was sublime as usual. What more needs to be said. Let It Grow was out of this world which had a nice little drum break just like the 12/30/08 Wellmont show. Mountains of the Moon was another great tune for JM and he nailed it. The Drums and Space was pretty fun, definitely had its moments. Dark Star was well... Dark Star. Had some great exploratory jams and locked into a few grooves and everyone in the band had great chemistry. Mason's Children was fun, sounded tight and jammed by DSO. Not Fade Away was the perfect set closer and it was just bursting with energy and everyone on the dance floor was feeling it. Golden Road encore was fun, Let It Rock was a real treat to hear. JM let the Chuck Berry loose on that one. And we bid you goodnight was oh, so, sweet. What a great send off into the night.

Kevin's bass was thundering the whole night. Rob E's intricate rhythm parts always have me entranced. Lisa is a goddess, she sure has some pipes. This was my firs time seeing JM with DSO and it sounded absolutely phenomenal. Havent missed a beat and I think he even elevates some of the songs to new levels. He's A-Ok in my book. Dino and Rob are always solid on the sets and the Drums section got funky and tribal. Last but not least. Rob B is the man, I fucking love his work on the keys and vocals. Hoped everyone enjoyed the show as much as I did.

• Forum MVP

Due to a glitch in the Dark Star Orchestra setlist page, I can't post set list until 2:00 a.m. east cost time. Since I won't have internet access then and may not have it tomorrow, I'm posting it here for now.

Set One:

The Wheel > Greatest Story Ever Told ; It Takes A Lot To Laugh It Takes A Train To Cry ; Cassidy ; Hard To Handle ; Simple Twist Of Fate ; Lazy Lightning > Supplication ; Might As Well

Set Two:

Feel Like A Stranger ; Cats Under The Stars ; Weather Report Suite > Let It Grow > Mountains of the Moon > Drums > Space > Dark Star (verse 1) > Mason's Children > Not Fade Away

Encore:

The fist set of this show is what dso electives are all about- a great mixture of eras. Cool start with the wheel>gset...Lisa's "yea yea yea"s at the end were the definitely the most drawn out and best that i've heard. Smokin hot out of the gate, which I'm beginning to realize is Mattson's mo. Train to cry a nice surprise and well played, same goes for simple twist of fate. The jam from hard to handle was straight out of 1970. Lazy>Supp had a hilarious false start and then proceeded to smoke our faces. IMO Mattson takes every song to a higher level. This could just be my experience of it but I think that he is just great.

As good as the first set was the second set was better. Don't really need to say much here.... :dsorocks:

Looking forward to #101...

Set One:

Set Two:

Encore:

Thanks to band and crew for a GRATE show. Setlist pretty much says it all.....an ORIGINAL MONSTER. Greatest was rockin and train to cry.....well it don't get much better than that! Eaton doing his jerryette impression on cats is priceless and a very strong performance on weather/grow. JM jam at the end of mountains was grungey. Such a strong effort all night....after space and encore was just KILLER.

GREASE is the Word!

Suks to be you Herdy!

Set One:

Set Two:

Encore:

Where do I begin to describe this mind-blowing performance...

I know, from the first drum beats of "The Wheel", which took me by surprise as a show opener. This version started slowly, then built up steam over time, and ended with the audience singing as loud as the band. The "Greatest Story" was phenomenal (and I would not usually use such a lofty word when talking about this song), as Lisa really pushed the band with her strong vocals. I love the early-70's treatment this song received, with the stretched out jam towards the finish. When they started "Train to Cry", I knew we had us an "elective" show (Yay !). This version really showcased how much Jeff adds to this band.... his guitar work was so focused, and his voice (yes, his VOICE!) was so confident and powerful, right in tune. I was all smiles and kept looking around to witness that I was not alone in that emotion. "Cassidy" was fun, tight, and got the blood pumping. By this time in the show, my friends and I were beginning to feel that great DSO vibe penetrating our bodies and minds, along with most of those around us . The "Hard To handle" was so reminiscent of early 1971 GD versions, and Rob B seemed like a man posessed with the spirit of Pigpen, with chops all his own. His keyboard antics had me jumping up and down with glee, and I needed a mini-break after this song to get a grip on things. That break came in the form of "Simple Twist of Fate", which was just perfect. I mean, PERFECT. I have always loved this Dylan tune, and, once again, Jeff treated this one with honor and grace. His guitar solos were timed just right, his vocals warm and full of conviction. "Lazy Lightning > Supplication" was tightly played, rocking the way it should. The "Might As Well" was a joyful way to end a remarkable first set.

Set 2 opened with a very strong "Stranger". Rob Eaton looked at times like he would self-combust... so 'on fire", he was, and not a fire extinguisher in sight ! The jams in this song were quite extended, to my delight, and it got me right back into the groove. "Cats" was another total surprise, and a very pleasant one at that. Yet again, Jeff showed what he can bring to the fore, and he sang the lyrics with such emotionally charged prowess (like a cat, pun intended!). "Weather Report Suite" was just beautifully played, and "Let it Grow" was typically powerful, and full of audience participation. There was a brief quiet moment before "Mountains of the Moon" was offered up, and it took me a moment to realize what song it was. I was not prepared for this version. It was understandable to me that Jerry and the GD had dropped this song from their repertoire early on, as it seemed very hard for him to sing. Well, 40 years later, one Jeff Mattson has dusted off quite a jewel of a song, and Saturday night he made it shine, shine, shine. So patient he was with the verses, and his bandmates wrapped themselves around him in support. The "Drums > Space" section was relaxing, but also kept me attentive as I found myself entranced with Dino and Rob K's unique synergy. The "Dark Star" took quite a while leading up to the first verse, which I love, and was chock full of inventive jams. "Mason's Children" was another welcome surprise, and it was SO great to finally hear this song live. The harmonies were awe inspiring, and jaws were dropping all around me, a truly amazing version! "Not Fade Away" was an excellent choice to end the set, a rocking crowd pleaser that I never tire of.

The 3 encores were a medley, and a damn fine one, at that !!! "Golden Road" was short, but expertly delivered, "Let it Rock" was full of blisteringly hot leads by Jeff, and the "We Bid You Goodnight" was a fitting way to end a fantastic show. Thank you, DSO, for another great show... and can't wait to see you all later this Summer !

Topher

Archived