Wellmont Theatre - Montclair, Nj

found

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Herdy.... sorry you couldn't make it to this barnstormer of a show. We can always hope for an Eaton mix and Nugs download.... :rolleyes:

Pk's videos of this show are great! The band sounds amazing...and Mattson is so soulful vocally and lead guitar wise...vintage Jerry...what a fantastic matching...I am REALLY looking forward to seeing this DSO incarnation!

• Forum MVP

Pk's videos of this show are great! The band sounds amazing...and Mattson is so soulful vocally and lead guitar wise...vintage Jerry...what a fantastic matching...I am REALLY looking forward to seeing this DSO incarnation!

there seems to be s shit load of talking during the song :( ... is that Stout in the background bullshiting through the whole song ;) ... jeez , friggen new jersians ... :P

• Forum MVP

there seems to be s shit load of talking during the song :( ... is that Stout in the background bullshiting through the whole song ;) ... jeez , friggen new jersians ... :P

the correct terminology is "jerzoid"

the bar is inside the performance space instead of the lobby. makes a diff on chatter. since im not using a board feed , I get all the ambient sound near and far. I find if you turn up the volume when playing the video, its also makes a (positive) difference.

glad you enjoyed them.

• Forum MVP

the correct terminology is "jerzoid"

jerzoid :rofl: ... definitely a unique state and state of mind going on here ...

the bar is inside the performance space instead of the lobby. makes a diff on chatter. since im not using a board feed , I get all the ambient sound near and far. I find if you turn up the volume when playing the video, its also makes a (positive) difference.

glad you enjoyed them.

PK , your videos are always top notch , always appreciated and always enjoyed :) ... all you gotta do when your at a show in NJ is tell them jerzoids to shut the heck up and " listen to the music play " ... ;)

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

~FYI~ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ I went and got Blythe and I a beer during that song, and used the restroom.That must be Tucket you hear because he didn't shut up all night!!!!

• Forum MVP

~FYI~ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ I went and got Blythe and I a beer during that song, and used the restroom.That must be Tucket you hear because he didn't shut up all night!!!!

I think I was able to fill in the blanks.

• Forum MVP

did you just call me a Gaytard in blanks ??? :rofl:

It was a grate time for all! Awesome time, couldn't think of one sub-par moment.

Cant wait for Tomorrow night and Sunday!!!

Herdy probably won't show up Sunday as you have to drive thru Dirty Jersey to get to Tuxedo... :rofl:

Peace

Alex911sc

We thought the same...and that any direction they went it would work out pretty well. Which it did...

Haven't been pointed in the wrong direction; except once....and it was the scene of one of the greatest Dr. V performances of all time! He might remember the issue I had.....

What a great show, an awesome time! And so much fun seeing ya'll and meeting up with some of you before the show. Second set was especially hot, lots of sweet jamming, I'm loving Mattson's groove,...get him in his jamming element, and he lights the fire! His vocals were impressive too, really sung his heart out belting out certain songs (I wonder if this show brought on the laryngitis?) I hope you're feeling better Jeff!....

It had been way too long since I've seen our dear DSO, and it was so worth the wait. Thereafter I had a really hard week, only emerging from it now, but this show ~ being 'home' again with this beautiful music and band and friends I cherish ~ resonated with me through the following days, a buoy in the tumult of reality 101. We're so blessed with beloved Grateful Dead through DSO, thank you thank you I love you!

And thank you ~ found the sound and topher ~ for the awesome reviews! Really vivid, beautiful, and well-expressed recollections. I'm grateful for your words that keep the memory of the experience close. And it was so nice meeting you, found! Your wisdom and intellectual curiosity and graceful kindness bring so much to this community...

Now looking forward to Stamford and Brooklyn and other shows with songs to fill the air and our hearts in summer sunshine daydreams~*

~lovek

• Forum MVP

What a great show, an awesome time! And so much fun seeing ya'll and meeting up with some of you before the show. Second set was especially hot, lots of sweet jamming, I'm loving Mattson's groove,...get him in his jamming element, and he lights the fire! His vocals were impressive too, really sung his heart out belting out certain songs (I wonder if this show brought on the laryngitis?) I hope you're feeling better Jeff!....

It had been way too long since I've seen our dear DSO, and it was so worth the wait. Thereafter I had a really hard week, only emerging from it now, but this show ~ being 'home' again with this beautiful music and band and friends I cherish ~ resonated with me through the following days, a buoy in the tumult of reality 101. We're so blessed with beloved Grateful Dead through DSO, thank you thank you I love you!

And thank you ~ found the sound and topher ~ for the awesome reviews! Really vivid, beautiful, and well-expressed recollections. I'm grateful for your words that keep the memory of the experience close. And it was so nice meeting you, found! Your wisdom and intellectual curiosity and graceful kindness bring so much to this community...

Now looking forward to Stamford and Brooklyn and other shows with songs to fill the air and our hearts in summer sunshine daydreams~*

~lovek

I heard that Lupos is a venue that allows smoking which in this day & age is crazy might of had something to do with it.

It's a very nice review, Tyler! Your love of the music shines through your words, which I can tell you enjoy so poetically piecing together.

Thank you for writing it, and your clip and photos are great too! Always feel welcome to post your reviews here, where other folks might be most inclined to read them. Keep them coming! Until the next one, I hope it's okay, I've pasted this beautiful one here. Thank you for sharing it with us!

love and peace

~k.

~~~~~~

Tyler Curtis on Dark Star Orchestra 5/22/10

Dark Star Orchestra took the stage with the intention to give people a run for their money. This was the 3rd time Dark Star Orchestra had played the Wellmont, and it appears whenever this Grateful Dead tribute band peeks out of their shell here in Essex County NJ, the hippies and deadheads make their round of meet and greets with the fellow freaks. We all came for the music, and that’s what it’s all about, the music never stops.

The band came on with a really fierce “The Wheel”, which set a standard that we were in for a real treat.

I was taken surprise by a “Cassidy” where the vocals of Jeff Mattson, Rob Eaton, and Lisa Mackey soared with emotion and power, which was complimented appropriately by Jeff and Rob’s impressive guitar playing. “Hard To Handle” was lead by Rob Baracco in both a meritorious vocal and key’s playing standpoint. Ending out the set was a decent “Lazy Lightning”>”Supplication” and an arousing “Might As Well” that left the set on a highpoint, shaking the crowd with excitement.

The second set was mainly where I focus my review on, as the building of the setlist really left me at the end, satisfied and blown away.

“Feel Like A Stranger” gave me chills in the drive of power that was backed behind Kevin Rosen’s top-notch bass thumping, making me feel as if there was a hole in my stomach. The band let the jams do the talking, but then hit you back with reality, as if stretching out a rubber band for a while, and as soon as it snaps, you are suddenly back to reality. Maybe this is something that this band is better doing chemistry wise, then the Dead did.

“Cats Down Under The Stars” was belted out by Jeff Mattson. Rob Barraco made his presence very noticeable with aggressive keys playing.

The highlight of the night is the rest of the second set, “Weather Report Suite>Let It Grow” had its loose improv jams, all gaining intensity with how early or late it was in the song, and made its way into a slow and beautiful “Mountains Of The Moon” that had Jeff Mattson written all over it. This gave flight to an average “Drums and Space”. Then transitioning into a lovely interpretation of the psychedelic “Dark Star”, making my night for the slow side of the night, with great lights, and even more loose jammy playing. You could not go wrong with the chemistry being experimented with on stage. The connection between the synergy of the crowd and band making a ball of energy that would determine where the show would take direction to had me lost as if I was at a Grateful Dead show in the early 60’s, not giving note to anything besides how the music was wrapping me around in the experience and atmosphere of the audience around me. The next transition, “Masons Children” had its moments, never leaving a dull moment in this tremendous combination. “Not Fade Away” rounded out the 2nd set, as the crowd took all the energy and love they had expressed before, and showed it full out, with the Not Fade Away chant, and dancing.

An encore banter still continuing the “Not Fade Away” chant must of inspired the band to end the night with a bang, because “Golden Road” couldn’t have been better. Not only that but going into the Jerry Garcia band classic “Let It Rock” where Jeff Mattson once again shined through. DSO then calmed and ended it all down with “And We Bid You Goodnight” that could not have been more appropriate obviously.

I’ve seen DSO 3 times at the Wellmont, and every time I’ve been surprised, but this show is one that I will always remember as the one I had the most fun at. They really put themselves on the map in NJ, giving the deadheads a great deal for their 30 dollars.

Set 1: The Wheel > Greatest Story Ever Told; It Takes A Lot To Laugh; Cassidy; Hard To Handle; Simple Twist Of Fate; Lazy Lightning>Supplication; Might As Well

Set 2: Feel Like A Stranger; Cats Under The Stars; Weather Report Suite>Let It Grow >Mountains of the Moon>Drums>Space >Dark Star> Masons Children> Not Fade Away

Encore: Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion)> Let It Rock> And We Bid You Goodnight

• Forum MVP

Tyler is only 15 years old , plays the drums and as you can tell , loves DSO !!! He's more deadhead than some of you old pooters ....

Lets not get too carried away Mike. Tyler shows great effort to get a few shows and could blossom into quite a Deadhead or judging about his writing abilities may be destined for College and the I don't have enough time to go see shows camp. Kid can write, loves music, and makes it to some shows. I think we should leave him alone.

Just got to the forums after much traveling. Is this guy serious? What a douche way of trying to drive traffic to his site. Nice to see other reviews so I don't have to click the link!

I've seen people do plugs for their bands, business, etc.

Take a look at his blog it's not bad and props to him for doing it.

Definately not spam. Thanks fo the review. :icon14::D:dsorocks:

Archived