Tarrytown - 5/27/10

ThinMan

01-07-78 Golden Hall, Community Concourse, San Diego, Ca

1: Minglewood, Cassidy, Sunrise, Passenger, Mexicali> Me & My Uncle, L. L. Rain, El Paso> Let It Grow> Promised

2: Jack Straw, Dancin> Samson, Playin> Drums> NFA> Around E: Saturday Night

my first time seeing Mattson and he doesn't sing a song, show was just ok for me, the band sounds great as usual, but it was hard for me to really get into the show without any garcia tunes

highlights for me was the Mexicali > Uncle, the LL Rain was really good as well, but the highlight by far was the Dancin (with a very unique, Mind Left Body Jam sandwiched in the middle) > Samson, i left during the playin - i give it a 6 out of 10 at best

Guest Lisacat

mattson has been singing his ass off, if he needed a night off, he deserved it....

.....or maybe they were just playing the show for historical purposes...

Sometimes you just have to play with the cards you've been dealt. Great playing by the band. I'll go on my tirade of the venue security tomorrow.

yeah, trust me i did not leave because jeff wasn't singing and now that i am seeing the filler, i am bummed to have missed the two souls. i knew the filler that rob b was going to come out strong

it was for personal reasons that i left and just did not have the energy to slug it out

the truth of the matter which some people alluded to here on this board is that there was connection missing last night -- could be that security was hasseling people for no good reason - why they didn't let people into the space between the stage and the first row of seats is beyond me. here you have a good 6 feet, where people that wanted to dance could of been and instead you get people in the front row that are sitting. that physical space between band and audience added to the distance i felt last night. everytime the audience tried to bring some energy (jack straw), they were swept away to the back and air left the room...

just didn't have the IT factor for me, but as a stated in my first post - the band sounded great and the dancin was worth the admission alone

and Dan if you reading this - get my email from Reed

• Forum MVP

yeah, trust me i did not leave because jeff wasn't singing and now that i am seeing the filler, i am bummed to have missed the two souls. i knew the filler that rob b was going to come out strong

it was for personal reasons that i left and just did not have the energy to slug it out

the truth of the matter which some people alluded to here on this board is that there was connection missing last night -- could be that security was hasseling people for no good reason - why they didn't let people into the space between the stage and the first row of seats is beyond me. here you have a good 6 feet, where people that wanted to dance could of been and instead you get people in the front row that are sitting. that physical space between band and audience added to the distance i felt last night. everytime the audience tried to bring some energy (jack straw), they were swept away to the back and air left the room...

just didn't have the IT factor for me, but as a stated in my first post - the band sounded great and the dancin was worth the admission alone

and Dan if you reading this - get my email from Reed

It bums me out that in this day and age we have to have problems with security! I'm personally going to address this issue with our road manager Matt today and put an end to this behavior. You guys are one of the most well behaved audiences out there and deserve better. Sorry it took away so much from the music. On stage we had no idea except that we were rocking it! RB

It bums me out that in this day and age we have to have problems with security! I'm personally going to address this issue with our road manager Matt today and put an end to this behavior. You guys are one of the most well behaved audiences out there and deserve better. Sorry it took away so much from the music. On stage we had no idea except that we were rocking it! RB

Thank you, Rob, for looking after us in the audience. You are so right.... I have NEVER witnessed anything or anybody at DSO shows that would warrant such tight security. Every venue is, of course, responsible for the safety of those attending performances there, and we understand the need to keep fire pathways and exits clear, but there is no excuse for the egos and elitism of some security officers at certain venues.

Keep on amazing us with your keyboard / piano playing, and incredible vlocals, and I will see you all down the road !

Topher

• Forum MVP

Some of it this isn't really securities fault. I remember last time around at Tarrytown and some other shows in the NYC or No. NJ areas where the people in the front row asked security not to let us upfront to dance. They wanted to sit and view the band. I agree some times security has an elitist and entitled attitude too, but so do many GD fans in the NYC area. I hope this can be addressed in the best possible way for all. Maybe not selling tickets for the front row at venues like Tarrytown's would help, but it is a tough problem. If the people in the front row with front row tickets don't want dancers in front of them, security is going to remove them. I hope Jeff feels better.

Get well Jeff!

Guest Lisacat

Thanks Rob... I felt really bad for the band because the audience wasn't about to participate as much as they should have been. I went out at drums and ended up having a conversation with the woman who was running the venue and very respectfully told her that security is over doing it. Security really should be there for the safety of the band and the audience. Last night they were on a freakin power trip for NO reason. I had the woman on the right side SCREAM in my face to move and then pushed me (karma got her though because she decided to walk past me mid spin with my eyes closed and I clocked her in the face by accident). There was nobody in the seats behind me, I wasn't obstructing anyone's view- I was dancing and spinning like I normally do. And then she had the nerve to hassle Randi! (she did end up apologizing to her later). So I moved back to the other side (where my seat was anyhow) and got jerked around by the other guy. He also had an issue with my dancing and I got the flashlight shined on me. Sort of had a bit of ditzy moment because then it dawned on me that that was actually my seat and I had every right to be there so he let me be. But SOOO many times people just wanted to come up and danced and were shoved away. It was really a shame. No one was seated that cared if people were dancing in front of them. This asshole security guy actually yelled at a guy for jumping up and down! I went up and said something to him after witnessing that.... I told the woman running the place that 2 fans left because of the security and will never come back. She was very understanding and told me she was going to say something to them and that I should write to the theatre and complain of my experience because they really like having DSO there and want it to be better next time. So I was out there in the lobby for the rest of the show and when I walked back for the filler, I noticed that they let people fill in and what a difference that made. Its so much better being able to dance WITH people.

As an aside- I did get a really good giggle out of the guy that came up and asked me if I was hired by the band to dance. He thought I was "part of the act"

Guest Lisacat

Next time buy a front row seat....

I had one Matt- that is not the point. The point is that security interfered with the energy of the show for absolutely no reason. And I still got hassled!!!!

First of all I hope Jeff feels better, secondly I think the band was great last night. I was not in a great space personally and sometimes when I find myself in this space I rely on seeing DSO to help me get out of the way of my crazy thoughts. It's not their falult for trying, because they certainly did. The connection I get from being close and allowing the energy and voulme to fill my soul is often the only relief I get when stiuations in my life go to hell. So with that said I couldn't deal with security and did not want to make an issue out of my front row snobism. Who do I think I am to be up front when all those good folks got their front row tickets. I much prefer general admission shows and will avoid seated venues like Tarrytown in the future. Same thing happened last year, you think I would learn.

So I watched the show from the last row in the balcony, (sound and lights were fantastic up there) where there was a large empty flat space that would have been ideal to dance in. No way security needs to keep this clear in case of a fire. If there was a fire help me to understand how that space would be clear. I told the security how I wil never come back to their quaint little theater again. Too bad it's just over an hour from my home.

What I saw of the show was good, we decided to leave during dancin, the Jack Straw put me in a sour mood which is not becasue of the way it was played again it's my "f" up head.

Sunrise was great, Let it Grow amazing I had an idea they would do two souls and it probable would have been worth it to hang for that, so do love it. I am so grateful for my soulmate who keeps me sane. I hope Rob's voice holds up he had a monster of a night with all the singing he did, thank you everyone who helps to make each and every show unique and special.

Hope all have a great time in New Hampshire see you on Sunday.

Peace Kris

• Forum MVP

First of all I hope Jeff feels better, secondly I think the band was great last night. I was not in a great space personally and sometimes when I find myself in this space I rely on seeing DSO to help me get out of the way of my crazy thoughts. It's not their falult for trying, because they certainly did. The connection I get from being close and allowing the energy and voulme to fill my soul is often the only relief I get when stiuations in my life go to hell. So with that said I couldn't deal with security and did not want to make an issue out of my front row snobism. Who do I think I am to be up front when all those good folks got their front row tickets. I much prefer general admission shows and will avoid seated venues like Tarrytown in the future. Same thing happened last year, you think I would learn.

So I watched the show from the last row in the balcony, (sound and lights were fantastic up there) where there was a large empty flat space that would have been ideal to dance in. No way security needs to keep this clear in case of a fire. If there was a fire help me to understand how that space would be clear. I told the security how I wil never come back to their quaint little theater again. Too bad it's just over an hour from my home.

What I saw of the show was good, we decided to leave during dancin, the Jack Straw put me in a sour mood which is not becasue of the way it was played again it's my "f" up head.

Sunrise was great, Let it Grow amazing I had an idea they would do two souls and it probable would have been worth it to hang for that, so do love it. I am so grateful for my soulmate who keeps me sane. I hope Rob's voice holds up he had a monster of a night with all the singing he did, thank you everyone who helps to make each and every show unique and special.

Hope all have a great time in New Hampshire see you on Sunday.

Peace Kris

I agree that non-seated venues are better for you guys. But, venues like Tarrytown are ideal to play in. When we have the sound dialed in like we do there, magic can and will happen. My first Dead show was at the Academy of Music in NYC, quaint seated theater and I have yet to have seen any venue, cept for Red Rocks, that will ever come close.

We will do our part to rectify the situation and hope you all understand that there are limitations. Much love, Rob

I too left early & it wasn't becouse of jeff not singing .The band played their asses off .Security sucked ,it was that simple .cross off Tarrytown .Its not worth the hassel

Steve, you looked content when I saw ya??? Wat happened?? I had no issues with security? We roamed all over the place?? Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy man...

Tuxedo for ya still, Right??? Hope to see ya there!

Peace

Alex911sc

• Forum MVP

I agree that non-seated venues are better for you guys. But, venues like Tarrytown are ideal to play in. When we have the sound dialed in like we do there, magic can and will happen. My first Dead show was at the Academy of Music in NYC, quaint seated theater and I have yet to have seen any venue, cept for Red Rocks, that will ever come close.

We will do our part to rectify the situation and hope you all understand that there are limitations. Much love, Rob

I, for one, don't mind seats as long as people are allowed to stand. With gen admission these days and the lack of consideration many a folk have regarding their space issues, having one's own space where you aren't being run into or constantly bumped, is ok with me. I never had that problem seeing the GD because we either had seats and everyone had their own space clearly defined, or if it was gen admission, it usually meant it was outside, where we had our blankets and friends around us. Gen admission now-a-days can be a huge pain in the ass if you aren't surrounded by good people.

Guest DarkStargirl

Most security guys are either off duty cops or cop wannabees

DSO should not play gigs at seated-only venues.

The Wellmonte in Montclair was perfect as is Nokia and similar venues with

no seats in front

I SO TOTALLY enjoyed the Wellmonte show.

Jeff ROCKS!!!!

See you all in Brooklyn.

XXXOOO

• Forum MVP

:D

Most security guys are either off duty cops or cop wannabees

DSO should not play gigs at seated-only venues.

The Wellmonte in Montclair was perfect as is Nokia and similar venues with

no seats in front

I SO TOTALLY enjoyed the Wellmonte show.

Jeff ROCKS!!!!

See you all in Brooklyn.

XXXOOO

I had to go to the stronger lenses to read that one...... :D

• Forum MVP

I, for one, don't mind seats as long as people are allowed to stand. With gen admission these days and the lack of consideration many a folk have regarding their space issues, having one's own space where you aren't being run into or constantly bumped, is ok with me. I never had that problem seeing the GD because we either had seats and everyone had their own space clearly defined, or if it was gen admission, it usually meant it was outside, where we had our blankets and friends around us. Gen admission now-a-days can be a huge pain in the ass if you aren't surrounded by good people.

I agree with you. Some of my favorite shows have been the deco-tinged small theaters. I'm a sucker for crushed red velvet seats and gold gild......what can I say?

Seeing the GD at the Fox Theatre in 10/85 is a prime example.......I still don't know if it's really true that the constellated dome ceiling slowly rotates as if it were the night sky. It sure sounded plausible at the time...... :rolleyes:

• Forum MVP

I don't mean to be an old fuddy duddy , but I just don't think the space between the front row seats and the stage is fair game ... I think that if you want to sit or stand or dance in your assigned seat area weather it be front row , middle row or back row , it shouldn't be a problem at all and that if the person behind you is annoyed at your standing and dancing because he or she feels like sitting the whole show , too bad , I made the decision to stand and dance , they made the decision to sit , deal with it ... assigned seating in theaters with full seating and no open floor have to run with certain rules in order to keep things from getting out of hand but that doesn't mean security has the right to be disrespectful to someone that is simply dancing in a an area that people need to walk through to get to and from their seats ... I'm a deadhead and believe in the rights of deadheads to dance and be free , but I also remember being in the front row in a wheelchair secured spot with my friend who is in a wheelchair and had to see him get pummeled by the crowd that was allowed between the stage and front row of seats at the Count Basie theater , it was insane to see ... in assigned seating shows I normally stand and dance in place through the whole show , if the problem was security telling people to sit down , even if in front of their own seats , then I probably would have left early also with a complaint to the manager on my way out the door and a post expressing the situation here , but I wasn't there and am only speaking from past experience and personal feelings .

• Forum VIP

Dear Old Fuddy Duddy:

Sorry I couldnt resist, as you will notice even we went to shows all free space is taken over by dancers, which is their deal...seated shows just dont work....never have and never will for this type of music...you will need to be back in the roped off area with me and we will have a Glade spray can when it gets a little sweaty shall we say...signed Dr. Fuddy Duddy

• Forum MVP

Dear Old Fuddy Duddy:

Sorry I couldnt resist, as you will notice even we went to shows all free space is taken over by dancers, which is their deal...seated shows just dont work....never have and never will for this type of music...you will need to be back in the roped off area with me and we will have a Glade spray can when it gets a little sweaty shall we say...signed Dr. Fuddy Duddy

seated shows suck for this type of music , no doubt !!!

Dr. Fuddy Duddy , see you in the roped off area ;) , I'll bring the Glade ... :D

• Forum MVP

I agree with you. Some of my favorite shows have been the deco-tinged small theaters. I'm a sucker for crushed red velvet seats and gold gild......what can I say?

Seeing the GD at the Fox Theatre in 10/85 is a prime example.......I still don't know if it's really true that the constellated dome ceiling slowly rotates as if it were the night sky. It sure sounded plausible at the time...... :rolleyes:

I was at that show too bro. One of my top 10! The ceiling rotates for some and not for others. Totally up to your state of mind. Absolutely gorgeous venue.

• Forum MVP

...seated shows just dont work....never have and never will for this type of music...

My number one priority is the sound in the place. If there are seats, I am hoping that no one is sitting and that's only because I don't want to be dancing in front of anyone who is sitting because I don't want to block anyone's view of the stage. If a place has good seats (that leave you enough room without crushing your shins) and everyone is standing, to me, that's a lot better than a gen admission show in a room that has average sound.

But I'll take your word for it that seats don't work well for this band. You've been to many more seated shows than I--I've only been to two.

Archived