Rush

bs69

• Forum MVP

Wondering if anyone has caught them on their current tour? Got tickets to see them 8-29 in Columbus, looking forward to them bringing the goods like they always do. :headbang:

Should be a good show.

They're playing the entire Moving Pictures album, correct?

• Forum MVP

I'd rather hear fingernails on a chalkboard......

No disrespect intended to the Rush Fandom of course......

LOL........Garcia once said that the GD are like black licorice........you tend to either love them or hate them.

I think Rush engenders similar responses.

Actually I'm kind of "Meh" on Rush. I respect them a lot, have a pretty good working knowledge of their history, and enjoy a lot of their older stuff like 2112 era or so... but they don't really crack my top 10 of favorite bands. I'd like them more if they left more room for jamming.

Anyway.... the point I'm trying to make is that I neither love them nor hate them.

• Forum MVP

Actually I'm kind of "Meh" on Rush. I respect them a lot, have a pretty good working knowledge of their history, and enjoy a lot of their older stuff like 2112 era or so... but they don't really crack my top 10 of favorite bands. I'd like them more if they left more room for jamming.

Anyway.... the point I'm trying to make is that I neither love them nor hate them.

I hear you.....I'm pretty much the same way regarding Rush. It really depends on the specific Rush song for me.

I would definitely not put them in my top 10. I do marvel at their obsessive/compulsive demand for musical perfection.........especially Peart.

I'm also kind of on the fence with Rush. I have a great attraction to power trios like Rush and Cream. There is just something with the really primal energy of just having a guitar, bass, and drums on the stage. The musianship of Rush is just plain incredible. Most people speak of Neil Peart's drumming, but the other two are also incredible musicians. Some of the bass playing is completely mindblowing in some of the live material I've heard.

However....

There is just something too mechanical about their sound at times. I suspect if you listened to two live Rush performances from a given tour, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. Peart's drumming is technically off the charts, but it just seems to lack a certain kind of spontaneous joy. As a contrast, I'd pick Keith Moon.as exhibit A Completely chaotic and even sloppy at times, but just the most incredible display of drumming I'd ever had the pleasure to witness.

I'd would have liked to see Rush at Shoreline in a few weeks, as I've never seen them live. However, I'm going to be at the Jerry Garcia night festivities at the ballpark that same evening!! Ya gotta have your priorities straight.

• Forum MVP

I'm also kind of on the fence with Rush. I have a great attraction to power trios like Rush and Cream. There is just something with the really primal energy of just having a guitar, bass, and drums on the stage. The musianship of Rush is just plain incredible. Most people speak of Neil Peart's drumming, but the other two are also incredible musicians. Some of the bass playing is completely mindblowing in some of the live material I've heard.

However....

There is just something too mechanical about their sound at times. I suspect if you listened to two live Rush performances from a given tour, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. Peart's drumming is technically off the charts, but it just seems to lack a certain kind of spontaneous joy. As a contrast, I'd pick Keith Moon.as exhibit A Completely chaotic and even sloppy at times, but just the most incredible display of drumming I'd ever had the pleasure to witness.

I'd would have liked to see Rush at Shoreline in a few weeks, as I've never seen them live. However, I'm going to be at the Jerry Garcia night festivities at the ballpark that same evening!! Ya gotta have your priorities straight.

I was thinking the same thing and almost mentioned it........Peart and Moon are on polar extremes in their drumming style.......I admire both of them.

• Forum MVP

I got free tickets to Rush for the August 5th show in SLC. I am excited as I have never seen them live before.. can't go wrong with free tickets and good friends!

Dude, you scored......enjoy!

When you see them, keep in mind their age.

I think you will at least be impressed.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

The boys still have it! Great show last night with a great mix of old and newer songs. Highlights for me were Presto, Red Barchetta and a kick ass Camera Eye.

Rush 8-29-10 Nationwide Arena Columbus, OH

Set 1

Spirit of Radio

Time Stand Still

Presto

Stick it out

Working them angels

Leave that thing alone

Faithless

BU2B

Freewill

Marathon

Subdivisions

Set 2

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

Caravan

Love 4 Sale

Closer to the Heart

2112 Overture/Temples

Far Cry

E. La Villa Strangiato, Working Man

• Band Member

Dino and I saw this show last Sunday. Being the age that we are, we basically learned to play drums to Moving Pictures. Same setlist you saw, and they tore it up!! Hadn't seen them in at least 5 years. They did not disappoint, and Geddy's voice (love it or hate it) has held up amazingly well through the years.

• Forum MVP

I had two friends go the shows @ Red Rock's last month. I heard it was mediocre. Same exact setlists in order, for the whole tour. I wish DSO would do that ! :rofl:

That is why you only go to one show. It certainly saves cash :cheers:

Archived