Songs That Leave You Cold That Most Seem To Adore

neutrino

At the request of Funky Bass, I am starting a tread specifically addressed to those songs that seem to be almost universally loved, but don't do it for you. This can range from a little less than indifference to absolute disgust when you hear the first bars . A previous thread was aimed more specifically to the worst GD songs, which most agree are pretty lousy.

My comments in the previous thread were about Dupree's. I got universally pummeled. :blink:

Everyone else seems to love it, but I just find it clunky. The chorus flows especially poorly. Yes, the lyrics are interesting and fun, but the singing of these lyrics often sounds ackward. The guitar solo also usually sounds forced. Certainly don't hate it, but immediately start looking forward to what might be next. So far, it looks like I'm alone on this, but would be interested in hearing if anyone agrees. Otherwise, it's probably best to move on to some others.

The previous thread had a few interesting picks for pee-break songs. One that really seemed amazing to me was Days Between. To me, this is Jerry and Hunter's last masterpiece. The idea that anyone would make a beeline to the bathroom for this is incomprehensible.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

At the request of Funky Bass, I am starting a tread specifically addressed to those songs that seem to be almost universally loved, but don't do it for you. This can range from a little less than indifference to absolute disgust when you hear the first bars . A previous thread was aimed more specifically to the worst GD songs, which most agree are pretty lousy.

My comments in the previous thread were about Dupree's. I got universally pummeled. :blink:

Everyone else seems to love it, but I just find it clunky. The chorus flows especially poorly. Yes, the lyrics are interesting and fun, but the singing of these lyrics often sounds ackward. The guitar solo also usually sounds forced. Certainly don't hate it, but immediately start looking forward to what might be next. So far, it looks like I'm alone on this, but would be interested in hearing if anyone agrees. Otherwise, it's probably best to move on to some others.

The previous thread had a few interesting picks for pee-break songs. One that really seemed amazing to me was Days Between. To me, this is Jerry and Hunter's last masterpiece. The idea that anyone would make a beeline to the bathroom for this is incomprehensible.

Uncle John's Band....probably one of the only universally loved jerry songs that I can't stomach.

and Box-- Love the lyrcis but Jerry should sing it.

• Forum MVP

At the request of Funky Bass, I am starting a tread specifically addressed to those songs that seem to be almost universally loved, but don't do it for you.

Rel, you should tell him to clean your house next.

I am not a supporter of this thread.

:(

• Forum MVP

We have this REALLY good friend who we LOVE to see at shows, and he told us recently that the number one song he CANNOT STAND is Not Fade Away. I know it's not a GD original, but I just had to put it out there because we were so blown away by what he was telling us about how he and his friends always cringed when it started because they felt like they "had" to clap their hands and whatnot and thought it was kinda a weak gimmick. I never feel pressured to clap with everyone, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, depends on the vibe, but I still love the freakin song and love dancing when it is being played... but I get where he's coming from, too :)

Rel, you should tell him to clean your house next.

I am not a supporter of this thread.

:(

A number of people thought it would make for some interesting discussion. I'm not doing anyone's bidding and already have a house cleaner. This actually strikes me as a more postive discussion than the previous one about the worst songs, which you were very happy to contribute to. It's really more about the interesting diversity of taste we all have, rather than just agreeing that something Weir wrote completely sucks.

Sounds like you got out of the wrong side of bed this morning.

• Forum MVP

This actually strikes me as a more postive discussion than the previous one about the worst songs, which you were very happy to contribute to.

Sounds like you got out of the wrong side of bed this morning.

I think you are taking me too seriously. But if I am going to be serious about this I would say that regarding your first sentence, it's true. I contributed to that other thread and have no right to bitch about this one (espeically since I offered up Tenn Jed and Loose Lucy). The thing is....some of us take these songs very personally. Over the years of seeing Garcia on stage, there are many people who have developed almost too close a relationship with some of these songs and to have a thread dedicated to having people throw them under the bus, so to speak, is bound to not be a fun thread for some, to my way of thinking.

But again, it's not THAT big deal either way...if people don't want to come to this thread...they don't have to.

And I'll look into getting a new bed.

:)

• Forum MVP

I don't see how this is any better or worse than the other thread.

One of my top ones, and would think that at least a few would agree with me, is Sugar Magnolia. Especially the sunshine daydream part. Even more so when they separate them. :icon13: Doesn't mean I stop dancing or go to the Bathroom but I truly just don't like the song very much. Call me crazy.. :wacko:

I think you are taking me too seriously. But if I am going to be serious about this I would say that regarding your first sentence, it's true. I contributed to that other thread and have no right to bitch about this one (espeically since I offered up Tenn Jed and Loose Lucy). The thing is....some of us take these songs very personally. Over the years of seeing Garcia on stage, there are many people who have developed almost too close a relationship with some of these songs and to have a thread dedicated to having people throw them under the bus, so to speak, is bound to not be a fun thread for some, to my way of thinking.

But again, it's not THAT big deal either way...if people don't want to come to this thread...they don't have to.

And I think it's a good thing that you jumped when my buddy told you to jump. It's gonna make him smile.

:)

The thing is, the first thread actutally seems more meanspirited and oriented to throwing some musical works under the bus. There, one could pile on to some songs like Samba or Corinna (which I actually kind of like). By constrast, discussing some song which would appear to be universally liked is more like a embarrasing confession. After admitting I don't really care for Dupree's, I kind of threw myself under the bus. Nobody else seems to agree, but that is how I react to it.

There seemed to be multiple people who thought similar reactions would be interesting to hear. If not, then the thread will simply fade away. If, for instance, someone explained in an articulate manner why they didn't like Stella or China/Rider. I would find that to be interesting. It seems incomprehensible, so I'd like to hear why they react that way.

Perhaps I did take you too seriously with your first reply. No offense taken. B)

• Forum MVP

The thing is, the first thread actutally seems more meanspirited and oriented to throwing some musical works under the bus. There, one could pile on to some songs like Samba or Corinna (which I actually kind of like). By constrast, discussing some song which would appear to be universally liked is more like a embarrasing confession. After admitting I don't really care for Dupree's, I kind of threw myself under the bus. Nobody else seems to agree, but that is how I react to it.

There seemed to be multiple people who thought similar reactions would be interesting to hear. If not, then the thread will simply fade away. If, for instance, someone explained in an articulate manner why they didn't like Stella or China/Rider. I would find that to be interesting. It seems incomprehensible, so I'd like to hear why they react that way.

Perhaps I did take you too seriously with your first reply. No offense taken. B)

Oops...I edited my last snarky comment...but too late!

For me, the last thread was talking about some songs that actually made some of us who were seeing shows at that time angry, if you can believe that. Like it was not a just and fit world because songs like Way to Go and Samba were in the same universe of this great band of musicians. So, personally speaking, it's a whole different deal but that's just how I think of it.

This thread shouldn't fade away...like you said, there are many who find it interesting.

And I didn't really take that much offense. I understand that it is hypocritical of me to think it's okay to dump on some songs but not okay to dump on others.

Let the dumping resume!

Guest Lisacat

how bout the thread "songs that no one else really seems too into, but I love" I seem to have a few of those....some people don't understand my love affair with friend of the devil (slow version) but to those that say that, I ask have you ever spun to it? The jam is one of the best in GD repertoire and just perfect for a nice long spin ;-) I could hear it at every show.

• Forum MVP

how bout the thread "songs that no one else really seems too into, but I love" I seem to have a few of those....some people don't understand my love affair with friend of the devil (slow version) but to those that say that, I ask have you ever spun to it? The jam is one of the best in GD repertoire and just perfect for a nice long spin ;-) I could hear it at every show.

I think most people consider FOTD to be one of the most cherished songs in the history of songs (along with the other stuff from those two acoustic albums). Fans and musician's alike.

Not sure where you got the impression otherwise but it ain't so...at least in my world of the GD.

For me, the Brent solos in this song during the 80s, at times, were as good as it gets regarding the electric piano.

2nd vote for Tennessee Jed.

Tennessee Jed and FOTD are interesting examples of songs that can go either way for me. The suspense is whether the band is going to end it soon and it will be kind of a snoozer, or whether they'll jam the hell out ot it and reach a completely insane peak. I fell in love with Jed the first time I heard it on the Europe '72 album. Over the years at GD shows, it could be a real highlight, or just some rather unmemorable slow song. Same thing with FOTD.

Casey Jones: Seems to repetitive. Never really found it exciting.

Tennessee Jed: I hate the riff and it's played over and over. But the solo began to click for me after I heard Dark Star played it once (at the TLA in September this yea when they played a Europe '72 show).

Playin' in the Band: The jams don't really excite me. Maybe I've never really listened "correctly" and thus they haven't clicked, or heard that archetypeial version which lets it click.

Terrapin: I don't know why, but it's just an 'ehh' song for me. But just like with Playin', I may end up loving it at somepoint.

I'm drawing a blank as to which others, but I think there are.

We Can Run - not that I don't want to save the environment or anything, but that song seriously should have been the soundtrack to "Fern Gully: The Last Rainforest."

Touch of Grey - a tough one, because I never saw Jerry. And the version from the first post-coma show gives me chills (not as much as the "Candyman" later that set...go find a good AUD and feel that one in your bones.) But I always seemed to hear "Touch" at EVERY elective DSO show when JK was guitarist. I couldn't escape it. I'd often say, "wait, we got a 'Stephen > Two Souls > Stephen > William Tell > New Potato > The Eleven,' and they're closing with effing 'TOUCH?!?!?!?'" It just seemed anticlimactic.

Tennessee Jed: I hate the riff and it's played over and over. But the solo began to click for me after I heard Dark Star played it once (at the TLA in September this yea when they played a Europe '72 show).

Playin' in the Band: The jams don't really excite me. Maybe I've never really listened "correctly" and thus they haven't clicked, or heard that archetypeial version which lets it click.

Terrapin: I don't know why, but it's just an 'ehh' song for me. But just like with Playin', I may end up loving it at somepoint.

Have to agree with you on Casey Jones. Seems to get most ot the audience going, but it also just seems rather repetitive to me. Perhaps being on coke helps.

I think perhaps you haven't been exposed to a great version of Playin'. When it's good--it's REALLY good. I've always considered the Playing on the Ace album to be one of the greatest examples of what the GD were occasionally able to achieve in the studio. The jam on that album still blows me away. Perhaps the closest they have ever been able to capture what they did in concert.. What sometimes disappoints me is if it gets unfocused and kind of drifts into extended noodling.

Terrapin...

Well, this one always gets my heart beating fast. Certainly one of a handful I always hope to hear. I was fortunate enough to experience this one almost the first few times it was played at some Winterland shows. It literally put the auditorium into a frenzy when they went into the jam after"And the whistle is screaming". Since we hadn't heard it before, the question at first was "HOLY SHIT!!! WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT???" Sometimes Jerry would extend this with a gradually building peak that would have people's jaws hanging open.. I've heard some great versions from DSO too. The only problem I have with this song is that if the jam doesn't really take off and build to a peak, it almost seems a bit of a letdown. This is one of those times where most of the momentum has to come from the lead guitar. Sometimes I find myself almost attempting to mentally will the lead guitar to explode into a cresendo, but it just doesn't happen that night and the song quickly transitions into something else. I guess it's just having huge expectations, which are not always met.

I gotta agree with Csaey Jones song just doesnt do it for me. But Playin? Really. Terrapin may be one of my favorites

• Advisory Board

But I always seemed to hear "Touch" at EVERY elective DSO show when JK was guitarist.

:rofl: :rofl: Let's not forget Liberty as well with JK... I like Liberty though, the lyrics to that song pretty much tells the tale of my personality... One of my favorite lines... "I say what I mean and I don't give a damn... I do believe that I am who I am"....

Pee-Break songs for me that most people love are Looks Like Rain, and Playin'... Uncle Johns Band is up there as well... AND of course, even though everyone like to bash me for saying this, Dark Star.... LOVE when The Dead did it back in the early years, but just NOT a fan of the tune these days... Don't get me wrong, it's not like I hate these songs, I just don't have any "feel" for them when they are played... NOW... a Playin' Reprise, I do like...

Songs I truly dislike are Esau, Johnny B. Goode, and Must of Been the Roses...

Row Jimmy was always a struggle for me, in the first set. It was certainly fun the first couple of times, but then it got really old, and seemed to go on forever. The band it struck me sometimes got very sloppy with it as well, almost as if bored and lost during it's long playtime. There are certainly a few more first set songs, but this stands out for. My dislike for Throwing stones/not fadeaway as a set closer probably fits more with the subject of this discussion. Separately I think these songs are great, but for me when the throwing stones chords started it indicated to me the show was over, nothing left to be surprised by. Even at a DSO show when these two songs are played to close a show I start looking for he exit. I know it can be a crowd pleaser, but to me it it suggests the band has decided they are done as well.

• Forum MVP

If I never had to hear Dancin in the Street again, it would be fine by me. I don't like anyone's version of it and really didn't like the Dead's. I have watched people with the look of pure joy, just go nuts, dancing to this song. I soooooooo love it for them as I know other songs that do that same thing for me. But Dancin' is about as big of a let down for me as a Corrina>Samba>Wave sandwich would be to many. Maybe it was the Jagger/Bowie rendition from like '84 but it just freakin kills me when I hear the opening lick to that song.

I said it before but I LOVE these threads! Even though I got called out for not liking Days Between when we got people saying they don't like Terrapin and Playin!!! LOL To me, Terrapin is maybe the ONE song I would use as an example to completely represent what the dead is all about. Just remember these are OPINIONS! So I've already revealed 2 of mine, Days Between and Dark Star in the other thread but here's a couple more...

Casey Jones- agree with what others have said already. I think it's one of the first dead songs you hear and you like it at first, then when you get more into them you see this song as simple and cheap by dead song stardards

El paso

Archived