Songs That Leave You Cold That Most Seem To Adore

neutrino

Guest Lisacat

I said it before but I LOVE these threads! Even though I got called out for not liking Days Between when we got people saying they don't like Terrapin and Playin!!! LOL To me, Terrapin is maybe the ONE song I would use as an example to completely represent what the dead is all about. Just remember these are OPINIONS! So I've already revealed 2 of mine, Days Between and Dark Star in the other thread but here's a couple more...

Casey Jones- agree with what others have said already. I think it's one of the first dead songs you hear and you like it at first, then when you get more into them you see this song as simple and cheap by dead song stardards

El paso

Days Between is not my favorite Jerry ballad either, but I have a hard time saying I don't like a Jerry ballad.... but I hear you. I don't think I've given the song a chance yet or have had a spiritual breakthrough with it.

Another one of mine....Cassidy. Though I've had really great moments with the song too.....I think that sometimes its a matter of allowing the song just to be rather than huffing and puffing when you hear the first notes and deciding to run to the bar or bathroom; before you know it you are totally entranced.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Days Between is not my favorite Jerry ballad either, but I have a hard time saying I don't like a Jerry ballad.... but I hear you. I don't think I've given the song a chance yet or have had a spiritual breakthrough with it.

Another one of mine....Cassidy. Though I've had really great moments with the song too.....I think that sometimes its a matter of allowing the song just to be rather than huffing and puffing when you hear the first notes and deciding to run to the bar or bathroom; before you know it you are totally entranced.

Back in the day there were no bars to go to therefore the bathroom break wasn't so crucial...Once you got planted up front near your musician of choice(always Garcia for me) and were being "horribly smashed" that was it...game over...I can't imagine for example trying to get to a bathroom at the Broome County Arena in 77'...impossible! Later on for me it was always a Booby tune I would check out on...Rooster or Wang Dang were never favorites of mine...

• Forum MVP

Is it just me, or am I noticing a distinct anti-Bobby vibe?

This isn't just something I've noticed on this board; it's a trend I've noticed for a while now.

I tend to prefer bobby's earlier stuff but I definitely dig some of the 80s stuff, particularly Throwing Stones. Let's just call it a 'pro-jerry vibe'...

Guest Lisacat

Is it just me, or am I noticing a distinct anti-Bobby vibe?

This isn't just something I've noticed on this board; it's a trend I've noticed for a while now.

I love Bobby! some of the songs noted above are some of my favorite Bobby tunes to hear at a show.....I love Walkin Blues- so much fun to dance to. and wang dang has a very slinky sexy beat which is always a blast to dance to. To me though, its all about the dance...Bobby tunes are typically alll really danceable tunes whether they are the cowboy numbers or promised land, bucket, etc.

actually all of these songs listed above I always love hearing......

CC Rider

Wang Dang

Walkin Blues

Used to Love Her

Me & My Uncle

Rooster

I think over the years there's probably always been somewhat of an anti-Bobby vibe among certain folks. I wasn't there, so of course its all second hand information, but I believe there was a sect within the spinners who were so anti-Bobby that they'd sit every time he sang.

I love Bobby! some of the songs noted above are some of my favorite Bobby tunes to hear at a show.....I love Walkin Blues- so much fun to dance to. and wang dang has a very slinky sexy beat which is always a blast to dance to. To me though, its all about the dance...Bobby tunes are typically alll really danceable tunes whether they are the cowboy numbers or promised land, bucket, etc.

actually all of these songs listed above I always love hearing......

I think over the years there's probably always been somewhat of an anti-Bobby vibe among certain folks. I wasn't there, so of course its all second hand information, but I believe there was a sect within the spinners who were so anti-Bobby that they'd sit every time he sang.

The beauty of the Grateful Dead was/is that people go for a plethora of reasons...I always connected deeply with the Hunter Garcia tunes...What I would call deep Dead tunes...which for me are the likes of UJB Ripple Box of Rain etc....So for me the Walkin Blues, CC Riders, Wand Dang were never "top shelf" to me...

Guest Lisacat

The beauty of the Grateful Dead was/is that people go for a plethora of reasons...I always connected deeply with the Hunter Garcia tunes...What I would call deep Dead tunes...which for me are the likes of UJB Ripple Box of Rain etc....So for me the Walkin Blues, CC Riders, Wand Dang were never "top shelf" to me...

exactly! I love the balance of the heavy spiritual, hunter/garcia material along with the fun Bobby tunes that I can tear up the dance floor with (not that I don't dance big to Garcia tunes!!!!!).

It can't be deep all the time for me ....I need those Bobby tunes to bring me back to earth a little bit. Of course, there is JGB which some consider the most holy of all; but even there you have the tunes like Tore Up, You can Never Tell, Deal etc which provide some levity among the tunes like Mission, Catfish John, Like a Road, ....

Its ying and yang and I feel they balance eachother perfectly. Didn't we all have this conversation about Bobby before?

TLEO, as previously discussed.

Shakedown.

Saturday night.

After seeing Jerry deliver quite a few They Love Each Others.......I find it incredible that anyone........Anyone could not fall in love with the tune!

Look for a few on You Tube & maybe you reconsider your feelings for the song (especially after it slowed down from it's faster tempo debut)!

And if I'm wrong .....we all are intitled to our opinions.

Peace,

Rob

:dsorocks:

Guest Lisacat

After seeing Jerry deliver quite a few They Love Each Others.......I find it incredible that anyone........Anyone could not fall in love with the tune!

Look for a few on You Tube & maybe you reconsider your feelings for the song (especially after it slowed down from it's faster tempo debut)!

And if I'm wrong .....we all are intitled to our opinions.

Peace,

Rob

dsorocks.gif

refer to my rant about it in the other thread....I just find it kind of blah. It doesn't really speak to me- lyrically or musically...

• Forum MVP

....some people don't understand my love affair with friend of the devil (slow version) .....

I agree that a slow version of "Friend of the Devil" is some of the most beautiful music ever created.

But my imediate family (wife and son) think it's a very bad song... bad as in evil.

They call it "the devil song" and ask me to turn it off whenever they hear it.

I think its a relidigious thing with them.

So I can understand that saying about "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

But I feel very sorry for those that try to see ugly and harm in our world.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

The beauty of the Grateful Dead was/is that people go for a plethora of reasons...I always connected deeply with the Hunter Garcia tunes...What I would call deep Dead tunes...

I completely agree. My wife definitely prefers the Bobby songs to the Jerry songs. As she puts it "Jerry's voice is so soft, its sometimes hard to hear him but Bobby is always front and center". For me, that's why Bobby is the rock star and Jerry breaks your heart. best of both worlds, imho.

Row Jimmy was always a struggle for me, in the first set. It was certainly fun the first couple of times, but then it got really old, and seemed to go on forever. The band it struck me sometimes got very sloppy with it as well, almost as if bored and lost during it's long playtime. There are certainly a few more first set songs, but this stands out for. My dislike for Throwing stones/not fadeaway as a set closer probably fits more with the subject of this discussion. Separately I think these songs are great, but for me when the throwing stones chords started it indicated to me the show was over, nothing left to be surprised by. Even at a DSO show when these two songs are played to close a show I start looking for he exit. I know it can be a crowd pleaser, but to me it it suggests the band has decided they are done as well.

Funny how we all react differently. Row Jimmy was one of the songs I always hoped to hear at GD shows. What really blew me away was what Jerry would sometimes do with the solos. Sometimes it fell kind of flat, but other times it soared like few other songs could. When he really got into some inspired playing on this, it was one of the finest experiences in concert for me. I do seem to recall reading some interview with Jerry where he expressed his love for playing this song, but also added that the rest of the band kind of found it boring. It's not a song the offers much for the rest of the band to shine, which likely explains their lack of enthusiasm for it. I was not a big fan of the Reggae ending, which seemed to evolve over the years. However, those guitar solos could be just so beautiful.

• Forum MVP

There are a lot of songs that listening to on tapes, nothing special ever happened for me with them, but for the most part it seems that any song I can think of that I just plain don't like at the moment (always in moments), I'll finally hear that version that DOES click with me, or I'll see DSO do it (even if I'd seen it before) and suddenly I do see why it is a good song.... not just get it on a personal level, but you know, really understand it's place with other songs and places and eras and people.... I think this is why the Dead never get boring, and I have trouble coming up with songs that leave me cold or that I think are the worst because as SOON AS I mention or even THINK of one for the offering, I am mystified by the channel's or our show selections for the day's ability to change my mind... it's one thing to not like a song in theory, something else to not like it while experiencing it (so grateful for tapers, holy cow, we often talk about how "the end of technology as we know it" just CAN'T happen in some apocalypse because our hard drive wouldn't work... lol)... and I just can't bring myself to say that anything actually leaves me cold (except nobody girl at furthur).... but some of those poll choices from the other thread were pretty awful... but you know what? if DSO played em and maybe prepared some people for the fact it was gonna happen so it wasn't a horrible shock like it was to people when the Dead did it (I feel a lot of sympathy for what was said about how awful the experience could be) I bet they could pull it off and make some of us really like those songs... I mean, even those songs on the poll, I totally know people I've met at shows who would be down with them (and probably were then, too)... some people aren't very particular and just wanna dance, after all.

Deadheads are hard to please. It's a good thing deadhead musicians play from their hearts and not to please everyone because that would just be impossible. I think that is one of the coolest things about DSO.... they want you to have a good time but they are gonna give you what you're gonna get, not take requests from the drunk girl in the back or give in to haters when people complain about song selection, or not playing the era the person wanted, or whatever it is.

Some songs that I OR (not and lol) Jon didn't care for particularly until we saw DSO perform them at some point: Easy Wind, Loose Lucy, Sailor>Saint, Lazy River Road, Attics, Picasso Moon (Driggs!!! Jon will NEVER forget, hahaha), um, if it's not too wrong to say, drums>space.... I could probably go on but I feel like that's enough confession for the moment :)

AND, neither of us ever had so much appreciation for Bobby until we started really paying attention to Eaton.... it is AMAZING what you will think is Jerry on a tape but then learn was really Bobby by watching Eaton and then be able to fine tune your ears a little better to hear what is happening on the tapes...... thanks Eaton, thanks DSO.

We both feel like the more Dead we've experienced in our life, the more we've really grown to like Bobby a LOT, even if we feel the playful attitude towards him and join in, the man WANTS you to laugh at the shows with him, at him even a little, or he wouldn't make so many retarded jokes or do so many goofy things if laughter wasn't what he was partially going for, and I know we still enjoy conjuring some good ol' Bobby antics and sounds outta him at Furthur by standing there and concentrating really hard and saying over and over (not screaming, just kinda chanting) "come on, Bobby, do it Bobby!" and then, when you think he just doesn't have the energy left, he DOES IT and everyone that was trying to make it happen with us all around the crowd all screams out in triumph at once.... hehe, these are FUN freakin' moments!

When I am in a bad mood (not sad, bad) it is always listening to Pigpen or Bobby being really drunk or really "high", respectively (heh), that cheers me up. 'Cause that's the stuff that will make you smile no matter who just pissed in your cheerios. But, of course, when I am really sad, there is nothing like putting the speakers on the ground and sitting right in front of them with my head on the ground and my ears covered and the stereo all the way up to really hear Jerry searing into my soul, telling me a sweet, swirling tale with his guitar and feel like I am there.

Eh, enough outta me, already, LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH! :)

• Forum MVP

It was Bobby's cowboy songs that first brought the Dead onto my musical radar and into clearer focus, distinct from the overall musical big picture of excellent music in the early '70s. And those have remained near and dear to my heart ever since.

Over the years I have developed an ever greater appreciation for what he contributed as the Dead evolved with the times. As noted by several here, Eaton has added immeasurably to that for me... not just the cowboy songs but the enduring classics (BTWind being a prime example). Currently I have a couple of the happy, bouncy tunes (Memphis Blues, Desolation Row) as well as the slower, more contemplative ones (Watchtower) in heavy rotation. "Heavy rotation" means pretty much every day.

I believe that it is all part of a tapestry, rich and inseparable, the parts of which are powerful themselves, and the sum is beautiful and life changing.

OK, this eases my mind a bit! It's not just around here, as someone said...some days it just feels like a lot of people I know wanna dump on Bobby, and it pains me! Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to the situation.

Having never seen the good ol' when they were still going, I only have recordings, stories, videos, etc. to base this opinion off of, but it seems to me that Bobby was the "evil twin" of the Garcia/Weir guitar duo. Whereas Jerry always seemed shy, contemplative, and unwilling to draw much attention to himself, Bobby was the bombastic, fiery presence on stage that ALWAYS wanted to draw attention to himself...and I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way.

It's the fun yin and yang of a good show that you could have guys with such different personalities that also happen to be deeply tapped into what the other one does and wants to do on stage. Like many on here, I'll admit I didn't really "get" what Bobby was doing on stage until I saw Eaton a few times (the clincher might have been the two-night run at Higher Ground in '08 - I was at the rail and Eaton was loud in the mix - wow!).

As I always tell people, my favorite example of the Bobby/Jerry dichotomy might be the 8/1/94 show. Jerry bares his soul on the line with my favorite "Stella Blue" of all time. But I can't imagine that "Stella" without the rocking "Satisfaction" that came right after.

It was Bobby's cowboy songs that first brought the Dead onto my musical radar and into clearer focus, distinct from the overall musical big picture of excellent music in the early '70s. And those have remained near and dear to my heart ever since.

Over the years I have developed an ever greater appreciation for what he contributed as the Dead evolved with the times. As noted by several here, Eaton has added immeasurably to that for me... notjust the cowboy songs but the enduring classics (BTWind being a prime example). Currently I have a couple of the happy, bouncy tunes (Memphis Blues, Desolation Row) as well as the slower, more contemplative ones (Watchtower) in heavy rotation. "Heavy rotation" means pretty much every day.

I believe that it is all part of a tapestry, rich and inseparable, the parts of which are powerful themselves, and the sum is beautiful and life changing.

I preface what I'm about to say with the fact that I LOVE seeing young folks getting their groove on at DSO and or Furthur....BUT there was something very special about being in Garcia's bubble/aura that is almost inexplicable for me...but it drew me in on a very deep level. He sang those timeless Hunter lyrics with conviction and passion. It felt personal... It was there in spades early on and even though it dissipated as time went on he could still muster that infectious/draw you in energy in the later days as well...My first GD record was Europe 72' and Weir's playing to my ears was masterful(not to mention his guitar tone which nowadays IMO is lacking)..Weir and his songs grew on me for sure and I love me some Lazy Lightning, BTW etc...I guess what I'm trying to say is I my love for Garcia and his songs is deep and I never felt quite that way about Weir...DSO is such a blessing...the vibe in the room.. at least in the shows I have attended is as close as it gets to what it once was...They play the music with passion and attract passionate people to come and listen. It's a beautiful thing...

I am NOT a big fan of Alligator and it seems that this is one song many fellow deadheads love. Don't get me wrong, there have been times when I have heard a kick ass Alligator and there was even once that I remember telling a friend, right before a show, that I didn't like Alligator so much only to hear it that night and loving it. This is a very tough question because other than this song, I don't think there is a song I don't like. Anyway, this one is a bit too bangy and clanky for me at times...DSO played the best version I have ever heard though.

It's quuestions like yours, that make us think and even might attrat real feeling to the discussion table, that makes me return to this forum time and time again...Good question!

"The grass aint greener, either side of the hill!"

Regarding BOBBY - Hey man, Bobby fucking rocks! He has been doing this since he was 17 and there is no one who does it better or who is more comfortable with the audience as Bobby and Phil. Part of what made the dead, the dead, was the way they knew each other and Bobby and Phil know each other better than any other duo today. What they do to us people who are on another plateau, is intended - they are fucking with us just like they did during they days of Haight Ashbury and the Acid tests. Their music, along with Jeff Airplane and Joplin, was the music that people on the Acid Test Furthur bus listened to, and their psychedelic revelations were intended even if the outcome was unknown! And no one alive is better than Bobby. Hey, I love Mattson, Barraco and the gang, but there is a reason why Furthur sells out huge stadiums faster than Janet Jackson! There are few bands, even today, that can sell out 20 + shows in less than 1/2 hour and that is exactly what happened with the recent East coast run they did. I know, I was online trying and most of hte shows were sold in 20 minutes, and all the big venues were sold out by 30 minutes.

• Forum MVP

If I never had to hear Dancin in the Street again, it would be fine by me. I don't like anyone's version of it and really didn't like the Dead's. I have watched people with the look of pure joy, just go nuts, dancing to this song. I soooooooo love it for them as I know other songs that do that same thing for me. But Dancin' is about as big of a let down for me as a Corrina>Samba>Wave sandwich would be to many. Maybe it was the Jagger/Bowie rendition from like '84 but it just freakin kills me when I hear the opening lick to that song.

I agree with the later versions of Dancin', but I do like some early versions, especially the new years 71' version with the baby new years on stage. Great version like a train rolling down the track. As stated early in the thread, Not Fade away was always a major buzz kill for me.

• 7 months later...

I used to not be a big fan of Alligator but last few times I've heard it, it has rocked my soul...Believe I heard it at Best Buy...one of the first songs if not hte opener. Good question though... I am often dismayed when folks sit down for songs like Stella Blue and Looks Like Rain. Especially in the old day... but then again, I am as big a Bobby fan as I am a Jerry fan. Rob's versions of Bobby's songs are really awesome...especially Looks Like Rain...shows a lot of feeling in that song. Mattson on Stella was equally awesome. I am trying to think of the one song that perhaps I like the least...maybe CAUTION cuz I am kinda new to this song (heard it for the first time about a year ago). Mind you, it's not that I don't like it, just not into it right now. I used to not be into Stella and now it's one of my favs, so go figure. PEACE. Thx for the good question...don't allow others to prevent you from posting good ones like this one. There are folks out there that will say that you are stirring trouble when in reality, they are the ones stirring trouble...just look at the other posts that they add to this forum. I'm talking bout the ones who constantly have nothing nice to say...as if youy made them read the post. (<~>);}

• Advisory Board

One that really seemed amazing to me was Days Between. To me, this is Jerry and Hunter's last masterpiece. The idea that anyone would make a beeline to the bathroom for this is incomprehensible.

Agreed

Call me crazy.. wacko.gif

You're CRAZY!!

Great question, I'll go with:

Most, if not all:

Brent tunes!

You're DEFINATLY CRAZY!!!! I <3 Brent tunes!!

Now, here's my updated list of songs I can do without... (Yes, they are mostly Bobby tunes... not to say I hate Bobby tunes at all though)

CC Rider (though the E-Factory one was SICK!!)

Wang Dang Doodle

Rooster

Esau

Johnny B. Goode

Almost ALL Vince tunes

Roses

Walkin' Blues

Lost Sailor (LOVE Saint though!)

Darkstar

Tennessee Jed (I'm 50/50 when this is played)

Touch of Grey (JK ruined this one for me as he played it almost EVERY elective show)

there's a few more, but I'm having a brain fart...

NOW... tunes I could listen to OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again...

Althea

Believe it or Not

Doin' That Rag

Viola Lee

Mr. Fantasy>Hey Jude

Bertha

Help>Slip>Franklins

ALL Lisa tunes (Lisa, not Donna! lol)

We Can Run

Terrapin

Peggy-O

Standing on the Moon

....and again... there's a bunch more, but the brain fart thing is happening again

Archived