Tri Studios

kdubfan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have mixed feeling about the concept, but the money issue is trivial if you throw a little party for the occasion. Just hook up the computer to whatever TV and sound system you have and enjoy a nice time with friends and/or family. Unlike a concert, only one $20 admission is needed. I'd do it myself if I wasn't heading to the Giants game tonight, which BTW is costing a lot more than $20.

• Forum MVP

I ended up boycotting it and saving my 20 bucks even though I admit that I'm pretty intrigued and somewhat supportive of this concept...happy to pay up to 10 bucks, but not 20....

But how was it...for those who watched/heard it??? I'd love to hear folks' perspectives....sure sounded like the Shoreline gigs were smokin' so I'm curious how they dished it out from in the studio....

(Enjoying the vast spectrum of opinions about this whole thing :D )

• Forum MVP

The band played one long, tight set - a little over 2 1/2 hours total. Highlights included Jack Straw, virtually anything Chementi did, the instrumental portion of the full Terrapin Suite, and the set closing Mountain Song->I Know You Rider. No encore. No fluff. It was as if they were paying top dollar by the minute to their streaming provider and they weren't wasting it by diddling around.

The first hour was technical perfection - no hiccups in the high def video or the pristine audio mix. Then, as the Wheel was jamming into The Other One, the video began to pixelate and boom - dead air. The stream was gone completely for perhaps 2 minutes. When it returned, the audio never again faltered, but over the last hour the video resolution didn't always maintain high def quality. So there were obviously some issues. Did others experience this as well?

As for the video direction, Justin Kreutzmann did a pretty good job keeping the shots where they needed to be, although there were times where either Phil, John, or Jeff were doing something noteworthy and the camera was elsewhere. There were also some unflattering shots, particularly of John, straight up from ground level. Overall though the editing was impressive. They almost completely managed to keep other cameras out of the frame. Zero shots of the audience or other area of TRI.

With six of us we were down to around $3 a head, although I brought a nice bottle of pinot and the host scoffed at my attempts to help him cover the twenty bucks. :cheers:

With six of us we were down to around $3 a head, although I brought a nice bottle of pinot and the host scoffed at my attempts to help him cover the twenty bucks. :cheers:

Great review......thats a good host...I feel like I missed out. I think they could improve it if they offered a music only stream for those with shitty internet. Or just a stripped down version. Was the pop up comment screen going off the whole time?...that must suck some bandwidth. I know it kind of defies the purpose of having the super HD technology but even a stripped down youtube equivalent requirement would allow for a much larger audience. Im stoked for all the folks that got to see it! I wonder if they will tell us how many tickets they sold.

• Forum MVP

Was the pop up comment screen going off the whole time?...that must suck some bandwidth.

It was going, but I'm sure the bandwidth required is nothing compared to the A/V. Of course once one puts the video on full screen, that ridiculous little comment screen is thankfully gone from view.

I like that they clearly gave preference to the audio in the event that the servers were choking on the bandwidth. I wonder what the streaming specs are. To venture a guess, I bet the audio is 256kbps and the video is in the neighborhood of 512k. That's some serious bandwidth when the delivery requirements get into the hundreds of viewers. I heard the initial event had over 300 simultaneous viewers. No idea about last night.

ok so we bought the show- we connected from the laptop to the 42" tv. we did all test's before hand and got a great rating on the site. all was good - the countdown screen was just an active timer counting down. the show started promptly @ 9pm est. the boys talked real briefly about phil and his ear sound situation- bobby told him "i think you'll like it"~ later a big smile and head nod told us all that he indeed liked it!!

They opened with Playin' in the band, near the end of that it crashed - or appeared to - lost connection. tried to get back and refresh and then finally doing the whole tri setup again and had the show back - but missed all but the last minute of crazy fingers. Then a little Jack Straw> Brown Eyed Women> big bad blues>jam>Wheel>Unbroken Chain>Other One>Uncle John's>Terrapin Suite>Black Peter>Mountain Song>I Know U Rider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WoW- ok now lots of "Buffering" going on during Black Peter and mountain Song.

overall it was really cool- jager shots in the living room with some other treats and bobby and phil right there too! there were kinks but it was a good first try- they will fix some of the bugs and this will be the wave of the future- with gas at 4$ a gallon - this is cheap! you can even have your own shakedown.

Now this was one set- we were commenting on the fact that we were partying and went to the bathroom twice--the boys just PLAYED- the whole time!!! Way to go Guys!

• Forum MVP

Anybody with a review of the music?

2 cent worth:

Have to agree with those that said for $20 I expect to be drinking a beer with some one preforming live. But considering circumstances already discussed by me I might consider live feed for select bands.

Guest Silver Fox

Anybody with a review of the music?

2 cent worth:

Have to agree with those that said for $20 I expect to be drinking a beer with some one preforming live. But considering circumstances already discussed by me I might consider live feed for select bands.

I watched it....and LOVED it!!!! John sounded GREAT!!!!!!! He is truly incredible every time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sound was great, the video was cool and the overall performance was all very tight. I will pay for the things that I enjoy, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching Furthur at TRI Studious.

It was going, but I'm sure the bandwidth required is nothing compared to the A/V. Of course once one puts the video on full screen, that ridiculous little comment screen is thankfully gone from view.

I like that they clearly gave preference to the audio in the event that the servers were choking on the bandwidth. I wonder what the streaming specs are. To venture a guess, I bet the audio is 256kbps and the video is in the neighborhood of 512k. That's some serious bandwidth when the delivery requirements get into the hundreds of viewers. I heard the initial event had over 300 simultaneous viewers. No idea about last night.

Technically, I would rate this a success...other than one glitch where I had to refresh it was pretty clean in that department. The choice of camera shots left a little to be desired...too jumpy if you will...If JK is ripping a solo, leave the camera there. Chimenti has some good long solos where the camera remained on him...The quality of the video/audio was excellent on my end for the most part. The whole bandwidth gobbling part of it is a little rough. Streaming video is a behemoth bandwidth eating monster...Netflix has opened up a big door with their streaming and it isn't very "green". Server farms are energy hogs...Anyway that is a whole other issue...It should be noted that Phil and Russo still opted for their earpieces when all was said and done...Terrapin was well done but I still don't like the mid tune hand off to Weir...It breaks the continuity of the song for me and it was cruising along so beautifully at that point. I'm not a fan of any of the vocal sharing of tunes for that matter. I see TRI has a msg up:

"We thank everyone that supported us for "Furthur experiments at TRI" . For all you that bought the show lookout for a special announcement tomorrow

10 hours ago"....

For 20$ and being a part of this "experiment" one would hope they would offer at least a free audio DL of the show...The sun has finally shed it's winter coat here in N.Cali... :)

• Forum MVP

Technically, I would rate this a success...other than one glitch where I had to refresh it was pretty clean in that department. The choice of camera shots left a little to be desired...too jumpy if you will...If JK is ripping a solo, leave the camera there.

Exactly my friend.

If Justin wants semi quick cuts then fine. Just make the jumps from different cameras but have them all on the guy who's doing the fucking solo and give us different perspectives.

It's like he doesn't get that no one has ever done this correctly and so he has to follow the wrong path just because it 's the only path out there.

What is the point of focusing on Weir's guitar or Jeff's piano when John is soloing? What is the point of focusing on John when Jeff is soloing?

How can Justin or whomever not get this? I really don't get it.

Also, there is no pop-up screen if you don't want it.

I watched this thing cause I had little interest in the Finals (even though I did end up watching the second half)...but I think this will be the last time...it's just not for me, even though some of it is actually really good.

I love Weir and I know that that is going to change if I keep watching these.

(Hopefully, I'll be able to stop.) :)

I love Weir and I know that that is going to change if I keep watching these.

(Hopefully, I'll be able to stop.) :)

BUMMER! Never stop...nono no never stop!!! I was hoping to see around the solo gigs in the future.

• Forum MVP

...Terrapin was well done but I still don't like the mid tune hand off to Weir...It breaks the continuity of the song for me and it was cruising along so beautifully at that point. I'm not a fan of any of the vocal sharing of tunes for that matter.

Weir's vocal deliveries of Garcia Hunter material, at both this and the initial TRI event, have been stunning improvements over his on stage delivery of said songs. Even Black Peter didn't suck. Good news: Bobby is doing a better job on Black Peter than I could have imagined. Bad news: Bobby is singing Black Peter.

As for the Terrapin, the jolt of Bobby stepping up for "inspiration", after having JK lead the band through Lady With A Fan, was like a dagger to the chest.

• Forum MVP

I watched this thing cause I had little interest in the Finals (even though I did end up watching the second half)...but I think this will be the last time...it's just not for me, even though some of it is actually really good.

Don't try to tell me that watching the Heat in their offensive sets, completely bereft of any activity beyond whoever has the ball (Wade or LeBron), is any better than Weir singing a Garcia ballad. ;)

• Forum MVP

Don't try to tell me that watching the Heat in their offensive sets, completely bereft of any activity beyond whoever has the ball (Wade or LeBron), is any better than Weir singing a Garcia ballad. ;)

wow, both equally painful, i will side with Stone, Heat like watching paint dry, weir on black peter, as stated, like a dagger in the chest...

• Forum MVP

I miss Tex and his triangle offense. Sure #23 would go one on one when he had to but this is not basketball that we are watching now.

Wooden has to be turning over in his grave.

And I have nothing to add to John's point about Weir getting better regarding his sodomization of Garcia ballads.

I admit that I'm a picky deadhead, but it's not a choice.

There is no volition or conscious decision making in this for me.

• Forum MVP

I found the show and experience to be top notch. This is the best Bob has sounded in the last 15 years. With gas being so high, concert tickets being $65 and up, having some health troubles that make getting in and out of most places a big task, and now moving to an area that just don't draw the bands I'm into without a 2+ hour drive. With all that and being a single parent, getting a night out without the kids is a most difficult thing to come by, this option is a welcome one.

The site ran the show over a loop this entire weekend so I was able to turn several folks on to this. Everyone who seen it with me was stunned. A group of people most of them standing, dancing, and being blown away by the performance of the band. I have to say this is the first time seeing and hearing JK mixed correctly. His guitar and vocals were turned up enough to fit with everything that was going on. I think the band members were really enjoying themselves a lot and it showed through the music. Bob and Phil sure did pick the right guys to play with that's for sure. A few people who put down the cost and the idea of this concept were forced to reconsider their original stand on this subject after seeing an hearing the quality of the product. I also like the fact that the real artists here, the musicians, have a chance to make a little money without having to pay a huge venue, promoters, and the ton of others with their hand in the mix. Sure a few things need to be tweaked to make it a little smoother for the larger influx of viewers and yes I would like at least an audio download to go along with the show. It will only get better from here.

I loved the show. It gave me a few "goosebump moments" and I was all wound up after as if I was at any other live show. To tell the truth the Terrapin Suite was worth the cost. Simply amazing.

I for one will be awaiting the next TRI show!

• Forum MVP

Weir's vocal deliveries of Garcia Hunter material, at both this and the initial TRI event, have been stunning improvements over his on stage delivery of said songs. Even Black Peter didn't suck. Good news: Bobby is doing a better job on Black Peter than I could have imagined. Bad news: Bobby is singing Black Peter.

Agreed. Bobby was ON!!!! He was SINGING EVERY WORD with passion, he was dancing around, we've NEVER seen him so on for an entire show with Furthur, and we will pay to see them do this again anytime. It was soooooo good! The way they specifically highlighted the new Furthur way of doing things and new material was so cool! Hope it happens again soon.

But yeah, the CAMERA angles REALLY upset us, they kept missing they best JK hops, dips and solos, but hopefully that will get better!

Archived