Thoughts And Prayers

Brian NJ

Guest crazy digits

To a great guy and even a better son. I know your Dad was proud of you buddy...my sincere condolences Steve..love you pal.

• Forum MVP

Thanks everyone for your kind words .This place always meant alot to me ever since I found it .I never sean a community pull together so much as it did when Tara was sick and you showed me how there was so much more then just the music itself and hopefully it will always be like that here .

My dad s been sick off and on for awhile now ,3 emergency room visits since november .I think alot of his problems started when he had radiation treatments for prostate cancer 2 and a half years ago .The reason being I think my mom was so afraid to lose him he went for it and at that age it fucked his insides up .

He would of been 85 next saturday on the 25th so he lived a good long life .He was a WW2 veteran and a member of the 101st airborne and the 82nd .He told me once that he signed up for the airborne division becouse it paid like 12 bucks more a month ,not realizing what he was getting him self into .He fought in the battle of the bulge and when ever I d come over in the winter and say it was cold out today he d say ,nothing like the winter of 44 ,living in a foxhole waking up covered with snow and this was at 18 years old.

My dad took me to my first yankee game at the stadium in 62 ,seen micky that day with whitey ford on the mound .Reason being I 'm a big time yankee fan today.

In 1983 my life was spinning out of contol ,cocaine and alcohol abuse for many years .He had a friend that worked at a rehab in denville new jersey and I was given the oppertuneity to get sober in which I have been ever sinc another thing, he had a little powder blue corvair ,a 63 I do believe .He d bring me up to plainfield when I was little to get crew cuts then we d stop at grillo s to get a 25 cent italian ice .It was in the late sixties and one summer day we were parking the car and there in front of us the the first hippie I d ever seen ,long hair and all ,the crap that came out of his mouth that day I ll never forget .Also with the radio on that day listening to wabc and cousin brucie a song came on the car radio and these guys were singing about being high on cocaine ,casey jones you better watch your speed .He fukin flipped and I m thinking to my self that that sounded pretty cool .needless to say.......

My dad and I always didn t see eye to eye in earlier years but we both grew to respect each others thought and beliefs.

Friday they brought my dad down to icu and they put a breathing tube down his throat ,he knew what was going on ,very aware of his surroundings and he couldn t talk and we could tell he wanted to say something ,there was a priest there giving him his last rites and my sister asked him if he wanted his tube taken out and he shoke his head yes so the nurse came in and started to give him morphine , my brother and Kris showed up and we were all able to talk to him and tell him things we wanted to ,he died at 1:30 in the morning when the hospital was real quite ,so many thoughts and flashbacks of my life were racing thru my head in those hours ,lines in grateful dead songs ,its amazing how much this stuff has been a part of my life for so long that when ever something goes on I m able t o pull a line of a song or a time that I heard a song play ,it is so comforting -peace to all

• Forum MVP

Thanks for sharing those thoughts about your dad. Your words brought back some pretty vivid memories of my dad, who passed away many years ago, but who would have been 10 years older than your dad and who also fought at the Battle of the Bulge (he would never talk about it). Memories are precious and it seems like you have plently to call upon over the years. May they bring you and your family peace.

• Forum VIP

My thoughts and prayers are with your family....your Dad sounds like one of those individuals whom we will look back on and say "they don't make em like that any more" .....he lived a truly special life...we will all miss their influence....peace..Dr. V

Archived