Furthur and DSO in LA on the same night, and Dylan the same month

busybeingborn

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good. I don't really like spicey food all that much. I do, however, love cheese! But I've never actually made my own. This sounds yummy. Don't think I live near a Krogers, but I'm gonna keep an eye out for this stuff. I hear it's good on toasted bagels;) Maybe those on new, flat pretzel-crisp things?

I love smoked salmon and cream cheese on a toasted bagel, too! One of my favorite things for lunch.

• Forum MVP

To respond to a couple of the above posts at once - it was chasing performances like the above Mission that had me going all over this great country of ours, and along the way my dietary horizons were broadened. Thus I, too, learned to love offerings such as cream cheese and salmon or lox on bagels. But I stayed true to my roots, and part of that includes things like pimento cheese. Yes, it is a spread in the sense that you spread it on your bready item of choice. But it isn't a cream cheese concoction as suc unless you want to make it that way. I personally have never head of such a thing but then I don't get out much these days and I know the times, they are a-changin.' So maybe new recipes are coming and the old ones go.

I like it on Saltine crackers or wheat bread, but that is just me. I think it would work just fine on flat pretzel things.

And just one more thing - if you paid attention during the credits of the movie Hot Shots, they had a really nice recipe for nobby buns! :)

• Forum MVP

Paula Deans recipe calls for cheddar and cream cheese ... the true southern recipe used only cheddar and is spicy (sounds tasty) , as google is telling me ... the bagel stores in my home area offered cream ch w/pimento spread , or cream ch w/olives and pimento spread ... Paula's may be a combo of North and South , she's good like that ... all of it can be spread on celery stalks also :) ...

I'm going blind reading some of this :rofl: ... some of you are a little nuts :wacko: ... and some of you need spankings :wub: ... isn't pimento cheese a cream cheese pimento spread mixture !?!?

Thanks for the Mission Mike! Had to look up where it was from, and the whole show is on YouTube (Providence Civic Center). No bouncy iPhone. Time IS a stripper!!!

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

So I know I said I would leave it alone, but this thread reminded me of groups of fans in Philadelphia and an anecdote of mine from a trip to San Francisco.

After reading Zygote's posts explaining how awe struck he is and was since the 80s of Jeff Mattson's guitar playing, I remember hearing similar adornment for another Jerry guy out in Philadelphia. I don't know if they would go so far as to say he surpasses Jerry, but there are definitely those out there that swear he is it when it comes to playing Jerry. He plays in a band called Splintered Sunlight. Some call him Asian Jerry; his name is Butchy Sochorow. I have friends that go to his shows even when DSO is in town. They definitely feel that he puts its out there with his band better than jeff and dso or jk and furthur. I happened to personally disagree with this sentiment, but this sentiment is very real. I know several on this board who have attended his shows and although at times impressed, never felt the shows bring it like a DSO show. However, they are extremely intimate and fans have a great deal of access to the members of the band; even more so than the access that we have to our beloved DSO which is also a very intimate experience. I wonder if that helps one get off at a show, intimately knowing the members? Just thought it was funny to note that some people feel the same way about Butchy as Zygote and Noah feel about Jeff.

Now on to the anecdote. In 2008, I went out to San Francisco to attend the closing of the Warfield run being put on by Phil and Friends. No matter what you thought of that Phil and Friends line up; I certainly found that 5 show run to be a very moving experience. The trip turned out to be very trying. My buddy crashed my car on Lombard street. So myself and 3 others were stranded in San Francisco. Unfortunately, one of those with us did not have an ID with them so, in the end, I had to rent a car for us to drive home in. I found the shows to be phenomenal. However, on the last night, I managed to get myself thrown out of the show. Don't ask what possessed me to do this, but after being refused alcohol service, I grabbed an empty cup and pulled the tap handle around the bar to serve myself my own drink. I may have been intoxicated at the time, but alcohol wasn't the issue. I didn't get a wrist band on the way in and later decided I wanted drinks. I was over 21. They gave me the run around to 4 bars to get a wrist band only to be told to go somewhere else each time. I lost my cool and reacted inappropriately. I deserved to be kicked out; I should've gave up on finding booze. However, after being thrown out, the band inside would go onto play brokedown palace. As the band broke into brokedown which we could catch wind of from the back door. We sang brokedown palace outside. I found our brokedown palace outside to be one of the most moving experiences of my life and it had nothing to do with our ability to sing. I also experienced some true family kindness that night that I will never forget. I had been thrown out in T-shirt and a shorts and even though it was May by the early AM it was cold outside. One of the kids that got shut out seeing that I was cold gave me his sleeping bag so I could stay warm. It always strikes me even to this day to experience kindness like that from a stranger.

I am so thankful that this music has brought me together with so many of you. It really warms my soul to know that there are people out there that share my love of this music, see things in a slightly different way, and truly care about myself and each other. Love is real.

Glancing through this thread, best line is definitely from Rick. "I remember when Furthur first started... The advisory board decided to start an other bands section."

I remember as well Rick :). Remember all the fun threads that used to circulate back at that time? This is a good one too. Glad to see Mike back on the boards and you even got DStone to chime in here. So I call it this a good thread.

• Forum MVP

thanks, zygote, i am glad my post encouraged you to share your love of jeff!!!!!!!!!!

rick, you are the first person I met going to shows that went regularly and i will always value your musical opinion and i know your love of this music carries you through like it does all of us. maybe the intimate experience is where it is at for some, and I felt that pull as I met JK in a crazy synchronicity moment for us both and when he left the band I felt the loss of the personal connection... he was my musical shaman leader and he showed me Jerry for the first time.... my forums description used to say "john is my jerry" as the first line until early this year when I realized in my time away from the music that it was DSO that I craved, not Furthur, so I changed it.

it's weird to talk about jerry garcia. never knew him. never got to see him play. he is this legend of a myth of a story of some chatter about some music lost on the wind and to compare those living with him is as difficult and bold of a statement as comparing DSO with the Dead members as a whole.

the truth is in the jams, not the cheese. inside the sandwich, spread all over the place, is some real magic at these shows that no other act can seem to spread out for our pleasures.

i was talking to this guy that does nothing but see shows and whatnot for life and he was expressing his love of the shoreline show. i told him the reasons i felt why i did, the show tune nature, the inauthentic musical movements, dancer's confusion, etc, and that it made me decide to stick to DSO and he said "you are really gonna go see the boys playing the boys' music instead of the boys?" and I said heck yes and the girl standing beside him cut him short as he tried to laugh at me (never met her in my life) and said "DSO has been outplaying them for YEARS!"

that says it all, from the mouth of babes.

we aren't supposed to say it..... the old DSO saying amongst fans is always "think it, don't say it" and DEF "say it don't type it" but

DSO IS better and there is no longer doubt in my mind, I just wanted to share so those of you that feel the same can feel less alone and because I enjoy the reminders from those who don't of all the reasons we ALL COME TOGETHER over this music.

long live DSO. (i know some boys in training right now for the next generation........ your shows are their best lessons!)

• Forum MVP

Okay...so I'm really not being a good thread reader. I'm going to see one of these upcoming SF shows and so I'm checking the recent lists that have dropped and decided to drop in this thread to see what's going on...I've really only read bits and pieces and really only bits and pieces from the above post (I'm THAT lazy) but what's with all this better stuff?

I'm really curious...since when did the General Discussion page on here get turned into the Sports page?

We can all agree that this isn't football...right?

My point is....if others out there want to compare the stuff these bands conjure up out of thin air from this music we hold so dear to our hearts like we are all in some scene from the movie Scott Pilgrim vs the World (cool movie...right?) then so be it...but that doesn't mean that we have to be that silly, right? I think it demeans us.

This here is art...right? Leave the sports talk to those dumb ass radio shows.

Just a suggestion...take it how you may.

Archived