Johnny b Goode

Baby blue

10-5-84 Charlotte, NC

Sunshine daydream*

Tangled up in blue*

New orleans*

Werewolves of London*

*with Lisa Mackey

That's a wrap folks. Four hours on the dot. Compliments of gr8fulpair!

• Forum MVP

Great rockin show last night. After what we went through to get here it was sweet to get a show from from my fair city. Everyone killed it last night, but I was mesmerized by Kevin for some reason. He was just wearing out some of the most classic Phil bombs and riffs ever played. The drought is officially over in Ohio. Soaked to the core. MAJOR storm this morning. Nothing like getting rousted from your tent by lightning at 7am....

If I had to pick I think this would be my favorite of the weekend. they were all just beyond amazing but this night spoke to me more for whatever cosmic reason. dso never ceases to amaze me in how they seem to get better every night. I danced so hard I thought I just might collapse after the show but the music gave me endless energy to keep dancin on. first I need to mention the black peter.. its been a while since I last heard dso play those one and it totally blew me away. at moments you could hear a pin drop the crowd was so enthralled by the band. I love those moments!

west la, red rooster, estimated eyes, baby blue, and tangled up were also exceptionally stellar. the moon I believe was full that night and was right above the stage almost the whole show. t was making these really dramatic and beautiful displays in the sky as it was going in and out of the clouds. one of the most beautiful displays of nature I've ever seen at a show. the werewolves was definitely fitting. the beautiful night did not hold out and we accumulated inches upon inches of rain. we made the best of it and chose to dance in the rain all night instead of hide in our tents. my ez-up suffered catastrophic damages but I guess all is fair in love and music :)

ps-

Dear Camp Inappropriate,

I love you all for making this the best weekend ever and my favorite festival of all time. My face still hurts from laughing so much. lets do it again soon. please.

love jenna

• Advisory Board

-

Dear Camp Inappropriate,

I love you all for making this the best weekend ever and my favorite festival of all time. My face still hurts from laughing so much. lets do it again soon. please.

love jenna

Dear Jenna,

As Captain of Camp Inappropriate, I hereby thank you for your kind words. Yes, we laughed, and laughed, and laughed till our faces hurt... or we pee'd or puked in the tent, or puked outside of the ez-ups, dunkaroo's a plenty, misconduct to the fullest, and well... you know the rest... I can't thank everyone enough who was part of our camp. Everyone who put up a tent with us, or stopped by, hung out, and partied till the sun came up (numerous times) should give themselves a pat on the back for being professionals at what we do.. What is that you ask? PARTYING!!!

Sincerely,

Captian Inappropriate Herdy

UUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

OK. Wow. When I try to go somewhere other than this weekend in my mind... well, I can't. Ain't no place I'd rather be.

Felt the 80s from the onset when we closed up shop to head down the hill. I left Mango to actually close up, as I have to arrive earlier to have my front row spot than he does to dance in space. Found a friend, handed out a pig pen (turns on its lovelight!), was ready for the weekend to begin. We were the first vendors in by hours and looking up on the hill to see we were the only ones that had closed for the show made my grateful heart swell with a healthy dose of pride. Damn right we're closed for the show. Next year we shall have a giant sign that says so for giggles.

Seeing DSO take the stage at THEIR OWN festival was really cool. Gratefulfest was never officially theirs (which was kind of icky feeling considering it was theirs lol) so THIS WAS REALLY COOL. We got the big stage of fun for the 80s show which was appropriate for a grateful festival if you ask someone like me who didn't get the pleasure of being there the first time round and is in it in part for coincidences and synchronicities of that nature.

Figured we would get Music>Sugaree to start it all off but the thought had occured to me that they may make us wait for it.... these guys are like that ;) They did. Bertha was welcome by all and we ignored the gravel and danced away. Scorching then pouring pouring and we found ourselves flying to the promised land with the band we had all traveled from anywhere and everywhere to create with for the weekend. Create with? I think that's the best way to describe it. Creation. BIG bang, here.

West LA had everyone dancing with that special LA swagger and there were smiles and everyones best "this is the greatest day ever" look gleamed off joyful faces. By the time we were strutting around the henhouse I think we all decided it didn't matter what happened the rest of the weekend, THIS was the best festival. THE BEST. The music was just too good to deny it and the bounce back from the crowd bubbled and spiraled all the way through the multiverse and it was still the beginning of first set.

Duprees brought us to our knees in sympathetic pantomime and the band seemed to be having one hell of a great time. Standing in front of Jeff on nights like this is just ridiculous.... talk about feeling like a little mouse caught by a prowling cat that just plays with its prey without ever striking the killing blow.... good greif! Esau comes in and Eaton and his fan club (you guys are so awesome!) go crazy and we're all in for it, despite the killings.

AND THEN we get our BEW to swingly sway us back to that time of yore. Quick and masterful. Still had to get us all estranged and I do beleive this may have been one of the better first sets of an 80s show I have ever been to or even heard (I don't listen to much 84) and during this stranger placed quietly in the back end of the first set I realized this greatness I was partaking in on a deeper level.

MIGHT AS WELL! What a great way to send us to break time. I was standing in front yapping with friends when I saw our booth light on. had to check on Mango. there were about 10-14 hippies, deadheads, friends and randoms all huddled inside the booth and i pretended to not see the ridiculousness of it all as I smiled and grabbed what I needed to return to the front. THAT was a circus, so what is gonna happen back at the show when they come back on!?!

The China>Rider that opened the second set was so fine it nearly blew my mind. The transition was especially mind bending and delicious and when they peeked over at the burning shore I was sure this Prophet>Eyes was going to be amazing and it surpassed my expectations. Could possibly see second sets open with these four songs by this band repetitively and wouldn't mind... that would be awesome lol. I think everyone appreciated that they just went there and melted our faces from the start so we could just get over ourselves and enjoy what was to come. The drums was particularly delectable and we felt otherworldly already in space so when the other one dropped by we couldn't really even get it together it was just too good.

By Black Peter I was thankful we were coming to an end (this rarely happens) because it had all just been so good and I was wearing out fast! heavenly and beautiful we had just said in the car how this was one of our favorites for this slot.

all wrapped up with sugar mags with no SSDD just straight to Johnny and that was COOL :) Ohhhhhhh baby blue is just one of the best songs ever so I just fell off the planet at this point. I think Joseph fell with me. Splendid to behold, you guys, oh my goodness!

Then we get our Lisa and our SSDD just to find ourselves Tangled up in that same blue we just were dancing in and it just goes to show. Under the big blue moon we went to New Orleans and by werewolves the band had the place howling as usual.

MAGIC. Those of you that were not there were missed, those that didn't know why they came realized why, and those of us that had some idea how great this would be and made the necessary arrangements to be there were not disapointed. this is GREATNESS. and it was still the first night.

we passed out and found ourselves in the early morning rain preparing for a really really WET weekend!

• 3 years later...

It was awesome to have Dark Star come to Legend Valley. I had so much fun here when Ratdog headlined for Hookahville back in 2000. I arrived early afternoon on Friday and enjoyed the sun and warmth. I was back by the fence, uphill from the pines, and not far from the guy with a telescope. We lounged until Rumpke Mtn Boys opened. People were still arriving and setting up, so there were literally 4-5 of us watching Rumpke for the first couple of songs.

I enjoyed a couple of moments of Cornmeal's set where they jammed out a few songs. THe wind was rippling the tie dyed stage cloths in the air, and a nice vibe started to arise from the growing crowd.

Dark Star took the stage. There was something really nice about seeing them rock out Bertha>Promised Land with the nice breeze, setting sun, and being back at Legend Valley. I danced once to a Bertha at Legend Valley played by Melvin Seals and the JGB in July 1999 when High Times through a festival there. Judah Gold was the guitarist used by Melvin then. This Bertha got me dancing and thinking about being there 10 years prior dancing, and all that had happened since. I loved the set. Unfortunately, I retired early this evening during the second set. I had a great time dancing though. ALot of fun.

Archived