70's Show in the STL!

Muddy Waters

I hate to sound like a whiny bitch...but we are due for a 70's show preferably a 73, 74 or 76...Of the last 7 shows (and we only get one a year - more whine),  only 2 have been 70's show and one of them was when Eaton was gone and they did a JGB show...Respectfully requesting that the STL members shove there chips all in and help the hometown out with a full on 70's rager. Been 3 years 84, Original and 87 the last 3 shows.  All epic....but want  Sherman (Way back machine) to take it a bit farther back.  Thank You Kindly!!!!

• Forum MVP

The Swami predicts a 1-drummer show.

1.  Last year was a 84 I think

2.  the year before was original

3.  Rob K is from St Louis so its gonna be his time to shine with a 1-drummer (BUT... Dino is also midwest and may have lots of friends coming so this may nullify 71-74)

4.  In 17 shows Ive never seen a 1-drummer (Yes I understand that this has 0 impact on the statistical nature of anything), but I'm due.

I dont care what DSO plays.  They can play a 95 show and forget the words and ill be smiling ear to ear.  This is just a prediction, not a request.   If its not a 1-drummer it will be one of those 20 or so 1970 3-set shows. 

St. Louis is very interesting territory for the Band...It is ironic that Rob, Dino and the light master as well as the former Road Manager are from St. Louis. I understand why they play only one time a year here.  This place is somewhat saturated with the Dead given our geographic location, with Locals Jakes Leg and the Schwag (currently on hiatus - not a huge fan), not to mention Terrapin Flyer (Chicago)  who play  down here 3 or 4 times a year.  DSO is pretty smart strategically about booking shows. They know what they are doing.  It is kind of a shame there is not an outdoor Festy closer to home they can play every summer. Or some logical outdoor venue that would fit, because I do believe that would draw.  I agree that historically they have not done many one drummer shows because I think Dino and Rob both like to play in front of friends and  family.  I think 76 fits the bill for everyone and would be a win..win..My choice for one drummer would would be one of the epic spring 74 Northwest shows.perhaps Missoula or Vancouver..But You actually may be spot on with that two drummer 1970 notion...Like Jerry says it's like Ice cream...all good.

• Forum MVP

I loved that sculpture park show! Great set and setting (pun intended), wonderful weather, and part of a fun run. I'd love to see another one there again. I wish I could have made the JGB show also, but you can't do 'em all.

Jerry had a good comment about licorice too.

St. Louis is very interesting territory for the Band...It is ironic that Rob, Dino and the light master as well as the former Road Manager are from St. Louis. I understand why they play only one time a year here.  This place is somewhat saturated with the Dead given our geographic location, with Locals Jakes Leg and the Schwag (currently on hiatus - not a huge fan), not to mention Terrapin Flyer (Chicago)  who play  down here 3 or 4 times a year.  DSO is pretty smart strategically about booking shows. They know what they are doing.  It is kind of a shame there is not an outdoor Festy closer to home they can play every summer. Or some logical outdoor venue that would fit, because I do believe that would draw.  I agree that historically they have not done many one drummer shows because I think Dino and Rob both like to play in front of friends and  family.  I think 76 fits the bill for everyone and would be a win..win..My choice for one drummer would would be one of the epic spring 74 Northwest shows.perhaps Missoula or Vancouver..But You actually may be spot on with that two drummer 1970 notion...Like Jerry says it's like Ice cream...all good.

Forgotten Space (GD Tribute) from Texas has played St. Louis twice in less than 6 months. They tore it up at the Old Rock House on Saturday night. Nice turn out at the Old Rock House on a very cold winters night. Look for this band to come to St. Louis more often.

As for an outdoor venue for DSO to play in the summer in St. Louis, the Chesterfield Amphitheater is the perfect venue. The city of Chesterfield has already featured jam bands at the venue in the summer. Umphrey's McGee and STS9 put on a great show there last August. Look for this venue to be a possibility for a future DSO show in St. Louis during the summer months.

• Forum MVP

The dead played 2 outdoor shows in St. Louis many times on summer tour. I'm not a stat junky like many here who can tell u the total shows played but I know in 95 St. Louis got 2. That really helps get a good following in an area. We only get St. Louis in feb with DSO. On a weekend they will pull at least 1500 which is a solid turnout for the size of the area. They seem to go north of St. Louis on summer tour. Sort of surprising with all the St. Louis peeps in DSO that they don't stop there more. I'd love for a DSO to do a 2 show stop in St Louis just so they could spend time with family

As I mentioned before, DSO seems to be very astute as it relates to where they play and how often.  It's clear that they have concluded that a late in the week (but usually not weekend) show in mid-winter is the play.  They have never done a multiple day run here and with the exception of the Sculpure Park  and a Jam Grass collaboration have never played here in the Summer.  They have done a few fall shows and when they do the Winter date is skipped. I'm sure there is a method to their madness and if I i had to guess have done a cost analysis on all this.  To me the coolest outdoor gig in the STL would be at Jefferson Barracks Park it's perfect.  Natural setting on the Mississipi River..Perfect size.  EL Monstero (Pink Floyd cover) featuring among other Great STL Musicians Jimmy Griffin, played there a few years ago and it was incredible.  So popular they had to move there Summer show to Riverport (where the Dead played). Those guys are smarter than me but I do believe if promoted right, an outdoor summer gig would work and Jefferson Barracks would be ideal. And I know at least one member of the band (Rob) is familar with venue because I saw him there last fall with his cute Baby!!!

Chesterfield Amphitheater is a beautiful venue, but the town of Chesterfield didn't know what to do with the UM crowd, Security was way too anxious even though the crowd was on good behavior.  Chesterfield is half the distance for me, but I'd rather make the drive to U-City for a good vibe.

OK...I found the show to do Thursday Night....No worries!

Show Found

05/14/70
Merramac Community College - Kirkwood, MO

Set 1:
Don't Ease Me In
Friend Of The Devil
Deep Elem Blues
Silver Threads And Golden Needles
Candyman

Set 2:
Casey Jones
China Cat Sunflower
Jam
I Know You Rider
Mama Tried
High Time
Drums
Good Lovin'
Drums
Good Lovin'
Good Morning Little School Girl
Me And My Uncle
Dire Wolf
Cold Rain And Snow
Attics Of My Life
Cumberland Blues
New Speedway Boogie
St. Stephen
Not Fade Away
Turn On Your Love Light

Encore:
Cold Jordan

I wouldn't mind hearing this show....

February 6th is the 45th Anniversary of the Grateful Dead's appearance at the Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis. The Dead opened for Iron Butterfly that night in 1969.

02/06/69

Kiel Auditorium - St. Louis, Mo.

Morning Dew, Dark Star > St. Stephen > The Eleven > Turn On Your Love Light > Drums > Turn On Your Love Light, Cryptical Envelopment > Drums > The Other One > Cryptical Envelopment > Feedback > And We Bid You Good Night

https://archive.org/details/gd69-02-06.sbd.cotsman.6284.sbeok.shnf

• Forum MVP

If they do a 90's show on Thursday, I may lose my mind.

And not in a good way (lol)

Quick Muddy:  Delete this post!!!!  The band has what can only be characterized as a cruel sense of humor!  If this keeps up, your going to get:  6/15/95.  Don't say I didn't warn you :)

• Forum MVP

I don't care what we get. I enjoy them all. We have a 1st timer going with us to St. Louis and the Casio style keyboard drives him nuts lol. In Nashville we will have 2 more 1st timers. Packing up the Denali with 6 peeps for that show!! Woot.

Archived