Asheville

Rude

• Forum MVP

War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY (11/7/85)

Dancin' in the Streets

Dire Wolf

C.C. Rider

Loser

Mama Tried

Mexicali Blues

Cumberland Blues

Beat it on Down the Line

Deal

Touch of Grey

Samson and Delilah

High Time

Let it Grow

drums

Gimme Some Lovin'

Stella Blue

Throwin' Stones

Not Fade Away

Midnight Hour

Filler:china>rider

One more Saturday night

Last night had Viola Lee and that was awesome, but tonight was off the charts amazing....perfection from the band....venue was was definitely over sold, which I'm happy for the band but its tough on an attendee...saw the Peel staff carrying a chick out that was in bad shape...praying shes ok....wishing I was headed to ATL and Bama, but ive gotta work a few days then I'll be enjoying The Music Farm in Charleston. ..can't wait

• Forum MVP

I'm very particular about what energies I associate myself with. Packed house of dancers is different than packed house of talkers and over imbibers. It was Saturday in a college town. Things got messy. You want to feed off communal energy. Dance West.

• Forum MVP

the Orange Peel has been a sardine can for not only DSO but many of the big shows that come through....

With that said I love that town and venue but do not make it a priority anymore to attend ....

what I don't get is all the people for example on DSO facebook page that ask the day of shows this question - "Are there any tickets left ...it says sold out ??" ... WHAT THE FLIP PEOPLE .... get a freaking clue and buy the ticket 2 weeks before the dang show .....

again tonight .... sold out in Atlanta but still people asking for tickets ..... reminds me of a line from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid ... "Morons, I got Morons on my team" ...

• Forum MVP

with all my heart I dream of seeing them in Asheville and Atlanta a few more times at least…. every year I miss these shows a little part of me weeps all day.  sometimes a big part.  those southern skies, I might not be on my way, but my heart has never been anywhere else… how could my heart ever leave the place that brought me this band? electronica shows and college kids refusing to buy into the system teaching me to say fuck it…. sigh…. how I ended up at DSO in all of that is a miracle I muse over on days like today when I realize, hey now, I have finally been seeing these guys for 5 years.  

so much has happened with this music in 5 years! I was always late to everything in American culture (they called me a hippie as a kid, but I knew that they were all gone, I liked Nirvana so much til my brother told me Kurt was already dead, and I always resisted the Dead cause it was def before my time) but I was right on time with DSO.  sure, coulda gone when my girl wanted me to go back in the early 2000s, but would it have changed anything, then? I was just some professor's daughter with some naive notion that if I loved hard enough, maybe I could save the world.

since I found DSO I have watched the music they play fold and grow and die and bloom and change and shift and spiral into what seems (esp with the addition of SKIP!) to now be just exactly perfect.  i mean, you can expect them to be DSO every night.  there were times there that I was like, "wtf, DSO?" or "where did that come from, DSO?" and then I CHANGED MY OWN HEAD and got shown the light (AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN)  and now I wonder how I was ever satisfied with anything before….

the next show really always is the best one (unless you are lucky enough to be at one in this moment, then THIS is ALWAYS the best show!)

love you southern friends and skies and all my gratitude and love to you for taking me home.  

packing up the house, a month out from moving into traveller life once more.  grateful grateful grateful grateful this band is the ultimate golden ticket ;)

• Forum MVP

And I know in spoiled but 3 out of my last 5 shows have been 80s offerings. How bout some lisapen tonight?

Lol. I got 74, 76, and 77 when I was hoping for an 80s. Maybe DSO doesn't give u what u want. They give u what u need. DSO works in mysterious ways. Praise be to thee. And they called down thunder and spoke the same. Their word filled the sky with flame. Please tithe 10% of your salary to The Estimated Prophet ministries. Your funds will help needy DSO fans all over the country get to see shows.

• Forum MVP

I had a situation that prevented me from committing to Asheville until the last minute. That was a minute too late. I went anyway and watched my friends seidle into the show while my brother and I stood in the 21degree cold with our finger up along with about 50 others. "No soup for you!!" Sad for me, but happy that DSO is now more often filling the house than not. At least I don't have to perfectly fill out a 3x5 index card with 12 pieces of critically placed information, mail it and wait two weeks to find out I did it wrong. I just have to commit earlier and buy them online while they are available.

• Forum MVP

Sorry brother. That was tough ticket. Several got shut out. Hopefully you get the black mountain gigs over the summer.

Hate I missed grooving with you bro. Got my viola in Charlotte so I'm a happy camper. You can bet your ass I won't lolly-gaggin on the black mountain tix...

• Forum MVP

Not in a position to give the war and peace version of this show.  I was dialed in - just in a different way than other times I get to see DSO.

While Dancin had its moments, CC Rider is where it started for me.  Had to leave the comfort of my companions after this tune due to some fu*kin joker.  He had my number and would not disengage despite various approaches.   He called me a cop and said I didn’t know a damn thing about this music.  Shit!  My cover was blown :)

Loser was sublime – Jeffs riffs hit some notes that were almost outside of the spectrum right before he brought it back home.  The band never ceases to amaze me….

Everything from there through deal was a high-energy dance party!  Cumby after Mama>Mexi?!?  Spellbinding !

Touch was dialed in and Samson was a freaking romp.which was paced to sweet perfection.

Oh my lovely High Time…It was just amazing!  Jeff threw in a little extra at the apex that I thought was perfect.  My only complaint is that I had to move 2x during the song to get away from some inane yappers.  After that tune, I had to bail back to larger confines towards the back – and even then space was a premium.  Good company back there though.

Stella & NFA were my post drums (pre filler) standouts.  Stella should have had some absolute pin-drop moments but too many people wanted to party instead of hearing the truth of the song.  Amazingly, what other people were doing had almost no effect on my connection to the sound.  This almost never happens to me – I get distracted and then frustrated that people aren’t paying enough attention to the music.  For whatever reason, I would not let myself be deterred.  The band was feelin it and the NFA was like a roller-coaster with a thrill every second.  I think I leaped to the ceiling a couple of times.

Midnight PM made me smile – the band was having a blast up there and they spread that fun all the way around!  Ear to Ear!

The China > Rider had all the necessary ingredients for liftoff and off it went.  So tight – so blazing – so energized that I managed to jump up and bump my head on the top of a large doorway.  Oops – just a few stars and a little knot.  Still laughing.

The furious closing of Rider then ushered OMSN.  I wasn’t sure I had the energy to keep it up at my level but the music did its thing.  So freaking fun!

I love the Peel and while I was able to mostly rise above the cramped quarters, I’m not sure if I want to keep doing it if it will always be so packed.  I gotta have some space.  The Thomas Wolfe Auditorium is right down the road – it seats 2,500 which would have been perfect. 

Looking forward to DSO at Black Mountain. 

• Forum MVP

Not in a position to give the war and peace version of this show. I was dialed in - just in a different way than other times I get to see DSO.

While Dancin had its moments, CC Rider is where it started for me. Had to leave the comfort of my companions after this tune due to some fu*kin joker. He had my number and would not disengage despite various approaches. He called me a cop and said I didn’t know a damn thing about this music. Shit! My cover was blown :)

Loser was sublime – Jeffs riffs hit some notes that were almost outside of the spectrum right before he brought it back home. The band never ceases to amaze me….

Everything from there through deal was a high-energy dance party! Cumby after Mama>Mexi?!? Spellbinding !

Touch was dialed in and Samson was a freaking romp.which was paced to sweet perfection.

Oh my lovely High Time…It was just amazing! Jeff threw in a little extra at the apex that I thought was perfect. My only complaint is that I had to move 2x during the song to get away from some inane yappers. After that tune, I had to bail back to larger confines towards the back – and even then space was a premium. Good company back there though.

Stella & NFA were my post drums (pre filler) standouts. Stella should have had some absolute pin-drop moments but too many people wanted to party instead of hearing the truth of the song. Amazingly, what other people were doing had almost no effect on my connection to the sound. This almost never happens to me – I get distracted and then frustrated that people aren’t paying enough attention to the music. For whatever reason, I would not let myself be deterred. The band was feelin it and the NFA was like a roller-coaster with a thrill every second. I think I leaped to the ceiling a couple of times.

Midnight PM made me smile – the band was having a blast up there and they spread that fun all the way around! Ear to Ear!

The China > Rider had all the necessary ingredients for liftoff and off it went. So tight – so blazing – so energized that I managed to jump up and bump my head on the top of a large doorway. Oops – just a few stars and a little knot. Still laughing.

The furious closing of Rider then ushered OMSN. I wasn’t sure I had the energy to keep it up at my level but the music did its thing. So freaking fun!

I love the Peel and while I was able to mostly rise above the cramped quarters, I’m not sure if I want to keep doing it if it will always be so packed. I gotta have some space. The Thomas Wolfe Auditorium is right down the road – it seats 2,500 which would have been perfect.

Looking forward to DSO at Black Mountain.

Narc!!!!!!!!!

Archived