30 Trips Around The Sun - the mother of all boxed sets

John A

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

That's one big swing - 700 stones.  Papa's bankbook isn't big enough....

I wonder if the commercial releases will cause each of these shows to be redacted from archive.org?  Not so good if true.... 

I'm sure it will be music to your ears if you have the ways and means.

• Forum MVP

If someone buys I will give them $100 for a burned copy of each on CD... plus of course I will pay for CDs postage and a fair labor fee

Looks like they give a USB stick with the order filled with every show. That would take about 5 minutes to copy vs burning 80 CDs :)

• Forum MVP

That's one big swing - 700 stones. Papa's bankbook isn't big enough....

I wonder if the commercial releases will cause each of these shows to be redacted from archive.org? Not so good if true....

Slow death to archive. I remember Jerry saying something about once we play a show we are done with it. That's why he didn't mind tapers. No way this 700 buck release would fly if not for 50th anniversary and people paying insane amounts for tix.

I wonder if the commercial releases will cause each of these shows to be redacted from archive.org? Not so good if true....

Slow death to archive. I remember Jerry saying something about once we play a show we are done with it. That's why he didn't mind tapers. No way this 700 buck release would fly if not for 50th anniversary and people paying insane amounts for tix.

+1

• Forum MVP

Rude is my new archive

• Forum MVP

Not saying abandon the CDs but if u get a home receiver or car one that plays USB, your life will be forever changed :). I have around 150 CDs on 1 USB drive including around 30 big flac ones. Having an LED show and song list makes finding what you need ultra efficient. Plus no scratching and when you get a new show just pop it on the drive. :)

• Forum MVP

Rude is my new archive

Tea we need to start a project to get every Dead board there is. Etree having no seeders anymore hurts somewhat. I think flairblair has like 1k boards as he got the entire sugarmags library on a huge hd. Maybe we need a late night raid on Eatons mega stash. We can just zip line in. Repel through his helipad, then quickly clone his hard drives and leave with no one knowing. Who said tv makes you stoopid.

• Forum MVP

23 a show seems a bit much when buying 30 at a time. Maybe that's just me. What was the math on Europe 72

Don't forget it's a once in a lifetime purchase.....with new once in a lifetime releases to come out at Christmas.

Also don't forget you get a book as well, and instead of having to meddle with the unreliable Internet to listen to shows, you now have 80 CDs to keep up with. Hold on while I find disc 2 to this show. Goddamnit honey have you seen disc 2 of this winterland show. It's not in it's case. No not that winterland one...

• Forum MVP

Those 66 through 71 could be new shows with primo sound quality that aren't out there yet. You know to make up for all those poor quality sound boards from that Era you can't stand rude.

Not just that era. There are horrible boards where u get no bass in the late 80s. And if you can't hear for example Phil's bass, it loses a lot of the intricacy of the sound that makes the dead the best band on the planet. I'll check these out for sure as soon as someone puts the collection on a torrent site. :)

• Forum MVP

23 a show seems a bit much when buying 30 at a time. Maybe that's just me. What was the math on Europe 72

Europe was just under $21 a show.  A much better value considering (1) the shows were longer for the most part, and (2) the amount of work to do this was far more intense - mixing 16 track reels vs. remastering 2 track stereo recordings.  So yes, this is definitely a "bit much".  But, not unlike the Fare Thee Well tickets, I expect all 6,500 copies of this release to sell out quickly.

FWIW, here are the shows:

1966 - 7/3, Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA

1967 - 11/10, Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, CA

1968 - 10/20, Greek Theater, Berkeley, CA

1969 - 2/22, The Dream Bowl, Vallejo, CA

1970 - 4/15, Winterland, San Francisco, CA

1971 - 3/18, Fox Theater, St. Louis, MO

1972 - 9/24, Palace Theater, Waterbury, CT

1973 - 11/14, San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, CA

1974 - 9/18, Parc des Expositions, Dijon, France

1975 - 9/28, Lindley Meadows, Golden gate Park, San Francisco, CA

1976 - 10/3, Cobo Arena, Detroit, MI

1977 - 4/25, Capitol Theater, Passaic, NJ

1978 - 5/14, Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI

1979 - 10/27, Cape Cod Coliseum, South Yarmouth, MA

1980 - 11/28, Lakeland Civic Center, Lakeland, FL

1981 - 5/16, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY

1982 - 7/31, Manor Downs, Austin, TX

1983 - 10/21, The Centrum, Worchester, MA

1984 - 10/12, Augusta Civic Center, Augusta, ME

1985 - 6/24, River Bend Music Center, Cincinnati, OH

1986 - 5/3, Cal Expo Amphitheater, Sacramento, CA

1987 - 9/18, Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY

1988 - 7/3, Oxford Plains Speedway, Oxford, ME

1989 - 10/26, Miami Arena, Miami, FL

1990 - 10/27, Zenith, Paris, France

1991 - 9/10, Madison Square Garden, NY, NY

1992 - 3/20, Copps Coliseum, Ontario, Canada

1993 - 3/27, Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY

1994 - 10/1, Boston Garden, Boston, MA

1995 - 2/21, Delta Center, Salt Lake City, UT

• Forum MVP

I don't like the price. I'm probably in though. Just need a few weeks to get my ducks in a row. Teacher pm in September. I'm hopeful the late release mail date will help hold buyers off for a few weeks.

• Forum MVP

I figure it's about 20 DSO shows, so I'm saving my money for live music. Don't get me wrong, I'd looooove to own this box set, but with dollars at a premium when I weigh listening to 30 shows in my den on my stereo vs seeing DSO, it's an easy choice. I have a bounty of recordings albeit lesser quality to tide me over between shows. Wouldn't mind having that book. Wish they were selling that separately, you know, for like $30. Those that get it are lucky, enjoy!

Archived