Barton Hall again!

yetivanmarshall

Hello,

Sitting here listening to GD 9/18/74.

I searched all over the web wondering if there is any footage of the actual 5/8/77 concert. Can't seem to locate any info. Does anyone have any knowledge of film existing? Also, do you guys think DSO will do a 5/8/17 concert at Cornell commemorating the concert. I've already put in for vacation time to travel to Utica in the event there is and I'm still of this planet.

Thanks for reading. 

Greg in NJ....

• Forum MVP

What's up with your obsession with Barton Hall yeti? In my opinion, the dead had stronger shows in may 77 or October November 77. 69 generally smokes 77. so does most of pigpen 71. Of course, these all just opinions. I just saw DSO do Barton Hall. I'd rather they bust out a Pembroke Pines. I take it Barton turned you onto the dead. Care to share the story?

What's up with your obsession with Barton Hall yeti? In my opinion, the dead had stronger shows in may 77 or October November 77. 69 generally smokes 77. so does most of pigpen 71. Of course, these all just opinions. I just saw DSO do Barton Hall. I'd rather they bust out a Pembroke Pines. I take it Barton turned you onto the dead. Care to share the story?

As I've been playing guitar for nearly 50 years, I'm obsessed with Jerry's proficiency with his instrument and tone on this particular night. His lead in They Love each other paralyses me when I try to play along with it. The slide on row jimmy is so crystal clear and he's using a metal slide vs a glass one with little if any overdrive/distortion, It's crying drippy love is beyond that of any mere mortal. If you play you'll know what I'm talking about. Hippy 4th of July.

• Forum MVP

I don't play but believe me I listen very intently and always interested in discussing grateful dead and jerry with those that do play. I'm not saying Barton Hall isn't a strong show. It is. Just saying there are others that compare and set lists just as strong. Jeff isn't going to play note for note and consistently the same tone as Jerry did at Barton Hall even if they do the recreation.

• Forum MVP

Barton Hall generally smokes ... pigpen saw DSO do Barton Hall. ...Care to share the story?

... I'm obsessed with Jerry's proficiency with his instrument and tone on this particular night. His lead in They Love each other paralyses me when I try to play along with it. The slide on row jimmy is so crystal clear and he's using a metal slide vs a glass one with little if any overdrive/distortion, It's crying drippy love is beyond that of any mere mortal. If you play you'll know what I'm talking about. Hippy 4th of July.

I love this description.    All I have to add is that the slide probably is a good 316 stainless and not an low alloy copper.

Peace, Love, and Fresh Strings for the Show,

Doc

• Forum MVP

I love the dancing. Just taking note it seems to have a great deal of importance to yeti. I can understand why the dead version does. It's a strong show. Clearly one of if not arguably the best ever. I don't think it's best ever but that's my opinion. I know many do. I also know it has no bearing on dsos recreation of that night. They will play the songs their own way staying true to the Era and show but not matching it identically. Seems other shows from 77 have got less attention from DSO than Barton. Just played in Jamaica. Has DSO ever done Pembroke Pines?

• Forum MVP

Has DSO ever done Pembroke Pines?

Charlotte from this past Feb. E-P-I-C!

http://www.dsoforums.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19131#entry142539

A barn burner, and the night of Rudedogggs rebirth on the dance floor. Shit got crazy.
That was my coming out party!!!

Praying no sellout tonight. Haven't checked if sold out but tonight will be the type of show Meili likes and want to get my dance on. Last nights show was perfect for no space as it was drippy and with so many changes it wasn't easy to find a groove anyway. Almost every song was not the dancy version. Doin that rag at jubilee was an off the hook dancer. Last night not so much. It was a great show to just stop and stare with mouth agape.

• Forum MVP

I'm with mango. I would not be okay with being confined during the 69. of course I'd be grateful and appreciate catching the show,but for it to reach critical energy mass I need to be able to move. dancing for me is very crucial to this whole experience.

• Forum MVP

To be at a really good show and not be able to dance is actually painful for me. I've felt it before- many times. For a long time I was a back dweller. Still am usually, other than certain circumstances. Can't stand that claustrophobic feeling...

• Forum MVP

Jenna gets real claustrophobic. I do better. I also have a bit of a knack for creating space. I have had my fair share of gigs ruined by space constraints myself. I still try to remind myself to appreciate the music but it can be hard. Early dead also very special to me. They played an 84 and I couldnt dance. I might think of leaving. It would definitely ruin my time.

KC outdoor with great space.

Archived