Summer Fun

Tom Banjo

• Forum MVP

I would say the journey really began when I awoke in DC close to noon on the day of the first Pocahontas show.  It had been a long time coming and a crazy few days.  I would need more than coffee to get going and this game is a dangerous one.  It fuels with energy straight from the depths of hell, but before you know you don’t believe any energy exists inside of you without it.  Jenna’s flight got into Reagan around 1230 and I would be about a half hour late picking her up.  I lived in DC while I attended Georgetown University on the 5-year plan.  I was no stranger to the crazy insanity of the traffic situation there.  The place screams over population, but I still felt like DC to Richmond with 1 PM departure couldn’t take more than 3 hours.  After all, it’s only 110 miles from airport to destination, the show.  I quickly realized just how wrong I was as I weaved on and off of 95 and route 1 to find traffic just about the same everywhere around.  Needless to say, those coffee beans and traffic didn’t mix.  Plus, the realization that we would probably miss some music had definitely set me on edge.  This kind of uneasiness is experienced much more for me on the East Coast.  Whether it be the traffic, the coffee, or just the attitude of the environment 95 can set someone’s heart on fire and not in the good way. 

We finally arrive to the cabin around 530.  We try to get the cabin right and the dog situated and our minds just right, but the band starts playing before we even begin the trek through the woods from cabin to amphitheatre.  We missed most of the first set.  I could never really find my balance or groove, but I did the best I could to twirl with delight as DSO worked their way through mama tried, Mexicali, and China-Rider.  I would say I was just beginning to find the groove at the end of the rider and then the set ended.  I really missed a lot of the set.  It was truly a big bummer after all the energy put in to make this happen, but no need to fret.  Several of us lay blissfully sweat pouring out are buddies with our minds jumbled disappointed to have missed some of the 1st set, but certainly mixed up in a state of anxious anticipation of the music yet to come.  I know several people ended up “lost in the woods” after the psychedelic experience that was the 2nd set.

Naturally, the 2nd set went much better for me.  After all, I was actually in attendance.  I grooved pretty good to a strong take on Dancing followed by a strong take on Cold, Rain and Snow.  I definitely made sure to fire glances Jenna’s way playfully during this number.  St Stephen was another big dance number and then we all basked in the holiness that is the complete Terrapin, although I wish DSO would’ve let the one at the Jubilee linger as the lone full Terrapin for a minute.  The song seems to be entrenched as a go to during the electives now.  It doesn’t have to diminish the specialness or magnitude of what happened at the Jubilee, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say it did some of that to me.   I pretty much disengage and lose interest during drums space, but pick up beat again during NFA.  The UJB-Dew cleanses the soul and Jenna and I decide to start the trek back to the cabin.  It had been a long day.  I really never fully engaged in the show with Dancing through Cold rain being the only stretch of solid dance and expression for me.  Mister Charlie is great going up the hill and I’m sure many were grooving this one out hard.  We could just barely hear Box through the woods and I had no problem with that.  My dad knows I love him and Box doesn’t have to turn my world upside down every time now.  It was great to get back to the cabin and take care of the dog.  Soon enough those lost in the woods would make their way home. 

This night would go late and we would share stories and companionship with many of you throughout the night.  I already considered many of you distant brothers or long lost kindred spirits, but slowly but surely we are truly getting to know one another.  It is a beautiful thing.  I would say even more so than the music this weekend the feeling of companionship and camaraderie moved me and I’m not saying the music wasn’t great.  My approach could’ve certainly used some work. 

After the previous day traffic/lateness disaster, you would think I’ve got this figured out better the next day, but no this weekend I pretty much was a disaster.  We slept in the cabin until a little after 4 PM.  It was hot and I have no idea how we managed to sleep through that heat, but we sure did.  If it wasn’t for a kind neighbor waking us up for dinner, we may have slept straight through the show.  We do the dinner, supply, and dog run around and make it to the show much closer to on time tonight. 

The loose lucy was just that loose with a fast tempo.  The crowd definitely had a more together dance scene going on tonight.  BTW dripped with emotion and the Cumberland got the feet moving fast and good.  I was already more engaged in tonight’s show and enjoying it that much more for it.  The experience for me really is greatly impacted by my ability to tune out the distractions both internal and external and lock into the music.   Despite being engaged to a greater extent, my lady sat a good part of the show and I chose to join her.  She doesn’t attend all the shows I do and I want to make a point of spending my time with her when she does.  After taking in the emotion of bird song seat, I sprang back into dance with a fury during Let it Grow.  This was probably the most expression and intensity I would put out all weekend.  It really wasn’t my biggest dance weekend, but sometimes you got it and sometimes you don’t.

The 2nd set I split between sitting with Jenna and dancing.  The shakedown felt huge funky and dancy.  I was definitely amongst many people get their groove n and I shared in the groove.  I sat Dark Star out and took some shit from a friend.  After the Peak, I claimed Dark Star was the quintessential song of the Grateful Dead and here I was sitting while they played it.  I didn’t find this one nearly as powerful as the one from the Peak, but I did enjoy it from my seated position.  I sat more tonight then I did night 1, but I was definitely more engaged tonight.  I guess you don’t have to dance to feel and interpret each note.  I definitely think it is more fun when you do.  Shining star was beautiful.  I had another semi-serious dance eruption during playing and somber bob during Stella.  The band really turned up the heat with Going  Down the Road and after that I was spent.  The Brokedown encore on the walk back was just exactly perfect. 

Pocahontas State Park is a beautiful place.  I am sure both the town of Chesterfield and the park itself loves the revenue that this event brings in.  Unfortunately, the police have a large presence here.  They try to shake you down any chance you get.  They demand to know the contents of your hands and may even check you pockets.  They will demand you turn down the music or the laughter even though no one but them gives a damn.  It’s real shame.  I didn’t see anyone acting in a disrespectful intrusive manner other than the police.  I would gladly turn my music down upon the request of my neighbor but the guy driving his police truck around at 2 am is nuisance.  If you attend these shows, I would remember to remain on your game.  There is definitely something shaking at these shows, but it takes a whole lot of poking around. 

I went home for some home time before flying back out to Atlanta.  I’ve been told several times in and around Dewey not to come round here anymore.  Don’t worry guys; I’m a poor listener and I will be back, but it wasn’t my time this year and I needed a few days to get off the coffee and my mind back on track. 

I let my friends build Atlanta up.  I’m not going to say that last year wasn’t a good dance party.  I get the idea.  If enough of us take up a platform and at least one of us is willing to be agro and militant about keeping the space, we can have a modest dance party on one of the platforms.  We didn’t accomplish that at all tonight.  I don’t think starting the show acoustic helped much.  We weren’t able to get a serious groove going before other people started to move in.  I’m a firm believer that the show takes all types and everyone has their place.  I wouldn’t agree with my friend who called the frat boys pathetic, but man did they detract from my show.  I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the 3 or 4 really gets it down the line, but tonight they wanted to drink and piss on other people’s experience.  Unfortunately, at the playhouse, once you’ve chosen a platform you can’t really move 5 people to another platform and expect to have space.  In addition to the frat boys, we had the pleasure of sharing the space with some headier looking types.  You know, the chicks had dreads and the guys had hats with pins.  One of their guys dumped 2 beers all over the floor and my pants.  The other didn’t know Attics of my Life, but at least they had some of that crunchy headiness to them. 

Musically, this show was fantastic.  I’m not a huge fan of the acoustic stuff and I felt that it went on for long time, but we got a Dark Hallow, Ripple, and Brokedown all in one set.  I believe the band had just finished recording American Beauty and thus, lots of these stripped down acoustic numbers were on their mind.  Jeff did go electric on a few tunes giving them a little extra umph but the acoustic segment was rough given our surroundings.  I decided to take a friends advice and put myself on a different plane at setbreak and it worked.  I started to have a better time despite the lack of space.

I loved the electric set, although no rap on Good Lovin and I’ve definitely heard these tunes stretched out more.  The bombs during Easy Wind were otherworldly.  Caution was played with such raw intensity.  Unfortunately, the space sucked and I would not call myself engaged at the show.  I enjoyed myself, but tonight didn’t work for me.  The show could have been so much more than it was, but hey, I’m happy I got what I got anyway.  A night on the road with friends seeing DSO is a blessing and certainly not to be frowned on.   A good group of us would hit the road to Black Mountain tonight and set sail out of Atlanta.

The ride up to Black Mountain was ridiculous fun.  I know some old timers and other friends would cringe at that party going on in this car, but we must’ve burned 8 to 10 doobies on that 3 and half hour ride.  The car must’ve been smoking like a chimney in mountain house with only a wood stove for heat in the peak of winter.  We listened to some early GD and really enjoyed riding out that new plane.  This whole story is leading up to Black Mountain where the real magic for me happened.  We had a major dance party at the Jubilee and I’m not ready to put Black Mountain on that level, but we were certainly pushing towards it. 

The Super 8 started to fill with heads the next day.  I certainly feel sorry for any straight folks that decided the Super 8 would be a quiet place to sleep this weekend.  Friends and strangers in tie-dyes just poured into town.  It was going to get strange and psychedelic.  We could all feel it.  Pisgah is a really cool place.  I recommend it to everyone and anyone.  They let us peacefully have fun.  I am so thankful for both the venue and the hotel letting us enjoy ourselves.  Doobies are always better when you’re not looking over shoulder all the time. 

The show kicks off with a rocking Bertha.  The crowd responds by filling the space with jumps, leaps, twirls, and bounds.  It is very clear that the circus must be in town.  The energy doesn’t dip but kind of stays stagnant through Momma Tried and Deal.  I’m certainly not dancing like no one is watching.  I’m flashing smiles around and carving out some space.  I’m noticing the others who are carving out there space.  We carved out a good chunk of it.  I would not argue with Rude that the dancer’s sacrifice a big amount of sounds for the space they enjoy but the dance party is contagious and certainly where I want to take in the show.  Cassidy is the first point where it all starts to fade away and I’m just overtaken by the dance.  I can still see faces and bodies, but its all just a blur as I find the rhythm in my feet.  Tonight, I had that rhythm in spades at times I failed to be completely present in the music and I was just straight showing off.  The music was flowing through my body and turning me around on myself, but I maintained a tremendous amount of body control and danced with quite a bit of style.  Friend of the Devil slowed the movements, but further engaged me in the show.  I’m not going to explain the emotional significance of the song.  I think you all get it.  Big River is dancy fun and the show explodes again into Brown eyed women.  This venue is full of beautiful organic looking ladies, a real hippie hoe down.  It makes it real tough that those day must be gone, but I’ll take solace in my confidence that I can still take up the plow and plow the fields around.  Although if being real, after bout 10 minutes of working that plow I’d realize I was a bit over confident.  It’s all over now is a solid rocker and goes on for a bit.  I wouldn’t say stretched out just rocked out.  Scarlett provides a platform for playful prance and we all share in the laughter and smiles again.  This venue truly is such a beautiful scene.  I dance, but start to disengage, as I know that Promised Land will close the set.  I saw one California transplant spring into action like he was racing himself back to the Promised Land.  I must say I was still feeling 77 at this point and despite all the hints in the 2nd set, I wouldn’t come off that prediction.  

If the first set moved me, the 2nd set was transformative.  The music played with such passion and authenticity and the dance done with such precision, speed, and creativity created the experience of nirvana.  I wouldn’t say ego death or an out of body nirvana experience, but a clear state of bliss sitting on the edge of epiphany.  Might as Well not my favorite, but certainly good to get the muscles moving again.  The tune provides a good opportunity for the dancer’s to reestablish space and get grooving again.  Boom.  Samson and I’m off like a man possessed.  I probably was a man possessed.  This was probably the peak for me.  I was no longer at 70 % steam or concerned with showing off.  I was moving like I wanted to rip that lions jaw.  100% of the energy I had to give was emanating from my soul.  This song touches at the very essence of my being.  Help allows me to catch my breathe without losing any connection to the music as I prepare for things to get hectic again during slipknot just to smooth out into a blissful groove during Franklin’s and you know what? That’s exactly what happened.  DSO, friends, and strangers were all providing the energy necessary to roll away the dew.  For what I guess was close to 2 hours (set 2) I truly didn’t have a care in the world.  The music was moving me and I was moving the music in response.  Dancing is so silky smooth.  The words and energy of the song make it hard to not just reached out and grab the cutest girl within arms reach, but instead I just put forth some solid dancing and exchange a few smiles with my friends.  Drums was brief and the show serious and heartfelt again during the wheel and ship of fools.  Back into dancing to cool your mind and put you back in that playful space.  Going down the road is just what I needed and One more Saturday night is one more platform to show off some solid moves and share smiles with friends.  US Blues not my favorite tune, but I got a good smirk during you better change your act.  I see you Eugene.  Come see how much I’ve changed my act. 

This was a special night of music.  My most special of the 5 shows I caught at the end of summer tour.  The dance was topnotch and I’m not just talking about myself.   The old locals can dance here.  Some of the most respectful and engaged kids (people around my age or younger) and of course, BM brings out some of that travelling DSO dance troupe.  This was surely a magical night.  I wanted for sunny to get even more energy out of the next night but I would be lying to say I did.  However, I certainly wouldn’t classify night 2 as a let down. 

The party at the super 8 was topnotch with some topnotch friends.  We even had some acoustic music in the gazebo.  The night was just exactly right.  No need to go into details if you were there then you know. 

First set was a bit choppy for me.  Loved the Jack Straw.  Althea great but really slowed the energy for me.  Cowboy tunes tried to kick it back up and then we slow again for lets spend the night together.  Keep on Growing dancy, but doesn’t do much for me.  I move to the sound for the Masterpiece as the show has slowed for me and I want to try to connect with the music on a higher level.  It was beautiful up there.  People moved just enough so I could dance. 

I thought the 2nd set was much more powerful.  Loved the music opener and the sailor saint was dancy and touching all at the same time.  Crypitcal was powerful but had nothing on the Jubilee and the other one was strong.  Visions pulled at my heart strings and the show peaked with a ripping Viola. 

I spent 1 more hour with great friends at the Super 8 and then it was off to the Atlanta airport for early Am flight home to the dog and reality and the like.  I had such a great time at BM.  No doubt in my mind I will be back next year. 

• Forum MVP

Thanks for helping me relive the amazing time and huge props go to sunny for packing an a/c window unit in his truck for the cabin. Saturday afternoon naps have never felt so good. 90 degrees outside. A cool 68 in the cabin. We were lovin life during our pregame naps. Without that air, none would have napped and our energy would have lagged. We were the envy of the cabin folks and thank u Amy for hooking us up with the last minute cabin. We were all packed for camping but not having to set up camp was a treat. This will be my last poca. Just too far a trip for me and next year we are doing the beach over July 4th so no "hey DSO is playing the day after we leave. Who knew? Lets stop in Richmond for 2 days on our way"

• Forum MVP

Thanks Rick for sharing in such a profound way. I wish I could write about my experiences like that but I live so in the moment during times like this my reflections are more broad emotions than sharp memories. Of the few memories that are clear for me, as you mentioned, the comraderie. I really enjoyed the down time moments with you, sunny, Jen, mango, and torin. The music is omnipresent and always the center of my efforts, but oddly I always come away remembering the time with friends more. Loved hanging with Rude and "girlfriend transformed to a major head in under a year" Meli, my boy Tea for Texas, Scott and Kris such beautiful people, CNJbrian who I loved dancing with, sweet Amy and my new head coach and mentor teacher Matt. And not the least of which, my best friend blood brother Steve who invited me on the bus in grand style in 1985. And my very good pal Macray who I invited on the bus in 2005 and have enjoyed many shows with since. I'm always gonna get the music one way or another, but time with good like minded people is the biggest reward for me during "summer fun". Peace my brother. Anxiously awaiting our next encounter.

• Forum MVP

I need to listen to the shows, helps to conjure the memories. Not an option anymore ;(

Nice read, Mason. I've known you Torin and Jerry for a long time now but we don't get to hang much anymore. It was really special to me to blend the old with the less old and the new.

Also really enjoyed connecting with some forum folks that I haven't crossed paths with much in the past. I generally like the kind of people who are really into Dso... Weir kind of a rare breed.

I had the pleasure of a catching a three night run on this tour. Atl>black mountain x2. Third year in a row doing Pisgah and second with Hotlanta preceding. I travelled red eye on the way out there and had a 7am flight the morning after the last sure ....4 hours away (thanks buddy). Made for a whirlwind of a trip.

We didn't fare too well in Atlanta in terms of creating a spacious dance experience. Circumstances weren't working with us. Perhaps going for the platform isn't the way to go. I tried to make the best of it; in the end my best strategy was to dance in slanted aisle. The security guards played along with us (I followed another friend's inspiration to play this game). As long as we moved when they were walking by they let us dance. After being caged in all night by frat boys it felt so free, albeit a little discombobulating with the slanted floor. Given the context of the show (1970) and the nature of the crowd (many people literally sitting down) it felt like I had been transported back to another time. Of course this always happens with DSO to some extent but on this night it was especially potent.

Four hour drive to black mountain, I captained the monster truck. Listened to a dicks picks, 2-5-78. The scarlet>fire is out of this world, Jerry sounds like he is playing from the mountain top. Arrived in BM tired but happy to wake up there in the morning.....

Nigh 1 was really good, I especially enjoyed Dancin>>>Loved the way Whell materialized and then melted into Ship of Fools. I particularly enjoyed GDTRFB>OMSN. In that moment it was exactly what I needed to hear to brake the shackles of the mind and fully tap into the music/dance. Even U.S. Blues and Sing our Blues away took on profound feeling to me now that i'd found the floor. I felt the whole night that night two would the perfect culmination and my peak experience of the run. Always has been my experience in BM (not necessarily others though).

Asleep before sunrise but not too long....

Night 2  I felt connected right away. I brought my toe shoes along for the trip and was delighted to discover how great there are for dancing on grass. Really changed my whole experience (yes, i'm a dork).

Let's spend the night together was a definite highlight for me. Mason, you came up and said something to me during this one that I didn't understand...."lets spin the night together"? Is what I heard. So I smiled, and continued. Wish we got more JGB! then again would I change any of it?

The rest of the set was great to me. I love keep on growing. call me cheesy- or the song- it's all good :) Crowd settling in and dancing taking hold. Building up to what would be a large gathering of happy hippies, dancing under the trees and the stars. 

Second set was great. I followed the sound and/or space as I felt necessary and it allowed for a freeing experience. This venue is great in this way- there's space if you need it. Much of the set I spent getting down with my friends and the groovy locals, other moments I would retreat back by the vendors. It was nice back there with the kids running around and spinning with me. There's something so wholesome about that area there....hard to explain but I like it. Perhaps someday....

No particular thoughts about the music. I have found dancing to be therapeutic in my life. I always leave a run of shows feeling motivated to try just a little bit harder, to grow a little more. The glimpses of bliss remind me of the amazing possibilities that we possess , motivate me to broaden my lens past the narrow scope of my experience.  I experience mind-less-ness while dancing that I seldom if ever achieve while sitting. 

Hope to be in Eugene!

Love for All!

• Forum MVP

Chris, she's definitely not a major head but at Asheville she finally got it. It's sort of crazy but she's up to 12 DSO and 1 dead show lol. She's been constantly talking about the shows and can't wait until the next ones. I'll have some dead show on and she will be like we saw this at so and so. She isn't that interested yet in learning the words and still would likely prefer to go see Broadway shows, but she loves the experience and the people. She calls herself a happy head.

• Forum MVP

When I thru hiked the AT, lots of hikers who planned in advance got free packs, poles, tents etc. And if you had already thru hiked and were going to do it a 2nd time u got everything you needed. Now hiking 2100 miles takes a little more perseverance than partying for a few tours, but if you could come up with an ad campaign for a marketing firm like the BS bud light does with making fake cities and PAC man mazes, you may be able to squeeze out some cash. Start putting your copywriting skills to work chuck and come up with some ad campaigns.

• Forum MVP

Mango, I'm not really into the aisle game.  How can you say you're engaged in the music when you're constantly making sure you dodge both security and passer throughs on a slanted surface?  I think leaning against the back wall with you're eyes closed would be better for a true connection.  Dance in your head.  I didn't do this, but I do believe it may have elevated the connection.

• Forum MVP

Who's to say what's better for connection? I have a need to move sometimes. On this night it was exactly what I needed. Remaining conscious of security is not a big burden... There are always things to stay conscious of. Let's not get into saying what's right and what's wrong.

• Forum MVP

I was just asking you to clarify your experience. There is no right or wrong here. Like I said, I won't even say the frat boys were wrong. Mason used to stand completely still with his eyes closed and I think his connection was strong on most nights. I feel most connected when I can dance. Dodging security and other patrons would interfere with what I call dancing. I've played the game before though. I think you were able to connect more than me. Torin and I were chatting.

What's better for ones connection doesn't necessarily mean it's better for yours. Sorry if I implied this.

• Forum MVP

the frat boys were at least seemingly trying to have a good time,..just that their good time is way different than ours .. but wow they sucked to share a platform with,,no respect .. with this in front of me and to the side of me,  it was more difficult to really enjoy the show ..at times...Greatest story filler was my highlight because they left and i could move as free as i could for the UncleJohn opener ,which was basically just a few of us on a platform...i know you had to step outside early too MC wish you stayed for that

Archived