Taft Theatre - Cincinnati

SuperKind

• Forum MVP

Marin County Veteran's Auditorium, San Rafael, CA (10/31/83)

Wang Dang Doodle

My Brother Esau

Peggy-O

Little Red Rooster

Brown Eyed Women

Lost Sailor

Saint of Circumstance

Deal

Help on the Way

Slipknot!

Franklin's Tower

Estimated Prophet

Eyes of the World

drums

St. Stephen

Throwin' Stones

Not Fade Away

Revolution

F: werewolves

Ballad? What's that?

• Forum MVP

Good stuff as always. Place was hopping. Had to deal with seats but made the best of it. Deal was unreal. Jeff threw down. The big crowd loved the franklins. told my son (big Beatles fan) they played blackbird thursday night, may get a revolution tonight. Lol. Gonna be high stress today as we'll have to leave straight from his bball game to hightail it to Indy.

• Forum MVP

Had a great time last night. Was "on the rail" on skips side for most of the show. The crowds seem to be getting bigger every year they play in Cinci/Covington. Great venue.

Me and MC had that big open space to your left up front. Not sure which one u are as I haven't met but if you looked left you prob saw 2 guys twistin and turning. Think we helped set the pace for everyone behind. Sort of lucked out as they wouldn't allow anyone else up there and had room to groove for most of the show.

• Forum MVP

I feel like its been awhile since I've tried to put my experience into words. I had an incredible night. The Taft theater is a beautiful theater with seats all the way to the front. I can already hear the groans from the dancing faithful. Seats all the way to the front. I wasn't thrilled. Shortly after arriving, Nicky reminds that the Dead played the Taft and so has Pink Floyd and other titans of rock and roll and the music industry. The place oozes with a special vibe. The Dead show in 71 is during Keith's first tour. I'm determine to feel some of this energy. I most definitely found the right head space. Not too much not too little. I had the groove but my wits about me. After arriving at a venue with seats, I generally go through a search of where it will be best to dance. I even moved about a little bit the first 2 songs of each set searching for a better spot. We danced upfront. Security tried to help keep the row clear. If you didn't have a seat, you didn't belong. I should mention that the 2nd security guy did not know how to project his authority. One kid lit a cigarette in front of him and just pushed him out of the way. This space we danced in upfront did allow for a pretty decent boogie. I could spin. I could move, but I'm talking maybe 60% speed. I know some people would really let this detract from their time. I know I have in the past. I didn't tonight. The experience was pure magic. DSO delivered a spirited high energy 80s danceathon. I know I've called some of these shows snoozers in the past. I didn't feel that vibe tonight. I guess keep an open mind and all.

Now to the music. The set starts off with a mellow but definitely dance vibe setting Wang Dang. I've heard DSO or the Dead played it with higher energy but DSO settled into the groove nicely here. The Essau to follow I feel pushes this laid back dance groove further into the ethos. The drum beat in Essau is great to dance too. Peggy-O would prove to the be the ballad of the night as the Dead choose to play higher energy songs throughout the 2nd set. Rooster would be the slow point of the show, but definitely furthered in that laid back dance groove. Maybe the songs really helped me feel good about 60%. The slower laid back dance groove allowed me to feel like I was expressing myself even at a less than 100 percent. Sailor-saint kind of breaks away from this and first, quickly rejected, thoughts that I would love to have a little bit more space to let go. Deal is rocking, but I'm peeing and getting a drink. I knew the set was over.

I met my friends out by the car. We had one of the best parking spots right out front the venue. The Taft lets you come in and out of the venue. The staff super kind and helpful. There wasn't a cop insight outside. They let people set up and vend arts and crafts and pins. Naturally, I light one on up. The usual terror effect of the smoking in public never really sets in. Like I said, not a cop in sight. Super laid back feel. Head still on a swivel but not twirling around. Setbreak smoke out was a success.

Set 2 pretty much destroys the notion of the laid back dance groove. DSO opens with Help and the energy builds slowly through and at times more ferociously throughout slipknot before delivering a very strong rocking Franklins. The space upfront wasn't as good, but I was dancing at a high level. I was able to make very good use of the space provided and their were some other people trying to get their groove on. I guess Estimated is more in that laid back energy, but the crowd definitely felt a different stranger connection. Faces started to glow. Some younger kids started to sing a little bit but quietly reservedly, more mouthing them. The feeling was palpable. I wonder if I was glowing too? The feeling never really seemed to go away. I might even say it grew during an energetic take on Eyes. Drums is a quick reprieve. Dancing in tight quarters given as much as I can without being the nuisance myself, I had worked up quite a little lather. We smoke another half of one. Why not? Then, we head back to the dane floor. That crazy glowing energy just radiates stronger as DSO strikes into St Stephen. The Stephen really electrified the theater for me. I looked up into the balcony. I could see shimmering faces through little rays of light. It felt good to be home. Maybe too good. Throwing Stones has fantastic energy. The crowd is definitely getting more comfortable with each other. Hips tap. This continues through NFA as we work through the groove together, ritualistically. Revolution encore doesn't really do much for me, but no big deal. The werewolves is fun. I definitely enjoy seeing Lisa doing the ears. I'm generally not close enough and moving with too much intensity to see the stage so it was nice to be able to see the bands happiness and playfulness here at the end. I think the fact that they are enjoying themselves really helps bring it home for us to be able to enjoy ourselves.

We even went out for more dancing afterwards. We hit up the after party with a Dead coverband hyryder. I thought they played well. Real nice energy in Cincinatti this after party was crowded to so at times, but I definitely was able to groove some more. We eventually headed back to Indianapolis and slept up to get ready for today's show. I'm excited. Big open space tonight. Thank you DSO for allowing me to experience and share in this love and communal energy that was something so special to all of you. It really moved me last night, even without a ballad. I wouldn't be who I am without what you have done for me. For better or for worse.

Love is real.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived