Random thoughts and randomness in general

Rude

• Forum MVP

Even when I think John Mayer sounds good he never measures up to JK Jeff Mattson Stu Allen Dave Abear Zach Nugent or countless others that play GD or Jerry Garcia inspired music.

But the worst is the faces he makes on stage. I can't look with out falling over laughing.

• LMAO 1

• Forum MVP
10 minutes ago, Tom Banjo said:

But the worst is the faces he makes on stage. I can't look with out falling over laughing.

Agreed - very good blues guitarist - that's about as far as I'll go..

Why did you have to bring up Mayer's 'O-face' ?  Then it forces me to do this:

dde2f6f83aed948c2f19cb3bbcff90a0.jpg

a26jqS94C7qES9xI0hGg.jpg

• LMAO 1

• Forum MVP

just had a guy at the gas station ask me what my license plate (boxrain)meant. I asked him if he ever heard of the Grateful Dead, and if he ever saw them. He said yea, once., Austin, Texas, 1969. I looked it up. If it was Austin, he musta meant 2/23/70. He said they did the coolest thing. After they were done playing the show, they set up a huge set of cymbals and the guy just played the cymbals for a really long time. He said he has seen the Moody Blues three times. I thought that was cool. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Holy crap. Saw someone on CashorTrade trying to sell their DSO Was fest tix for $220 each which is face and it’s just dso playing not an all day fest or anything. Those were official platinum for 2nd row center. I’d pay more for DSO than pretty much any band but not paying $220 a ticket. Geez. I can guarantee no one on CashorTrade is buying those 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP
Just now, adman said:

Howdy! Does anyone know when DSO usually announces the fall/winter tour dates? I'm so excited to see them in STL again in November!

did they announce a St. Louis show in November?

8 hours ago, Rude said:

did they announce a St. Louis show in November?

Sorry, I meant that I saw them last November and I'm hoping they come again this year! It was an amazing show.

I still listen to the China>Rider often- crowd was electric!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Is there ever a night where you just open Apple Music/Tidal and search Willin’ and let every live version play in a row for over an hour? I’m there. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Fyre festival early bird tickets for an undisclosed date at an undisclosed location for late 2024, sold out. Hope everyone got their tix. Should be epic. They only sold 100 so this was obviously to get free media publicity, but it also shows there are at least 100 fools out there who buy tix from a previous scammer without knowing when and where a festival will be or who will even be there….A sucker is born every minute 

• Haha (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I wonder if I’d actually attend a show in this 115 heat index heat If it was in chicago today. I think I’d probably pass. Playing outside with little man right now for 10 minutes has me soaked and I’m barely moving. Guess you’d need a bunch of paramedics on standby and some post NFL game ice baths. That could be VIP. Tubs filled with ice included in your ticket. Heat domes suck a dick!!!

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

I haven’t been on FB for prob 8 years but it’s always funny to read the Tour comments. One that recently made me giggle was someone said “Columbus finally!!!”  I guess Thornville is too long a haul. The northeasters are the greediest. If you don’t have the northeast on every tour those peeps are pissed. But I did learn that New York is way too far for someone from New England to travel b/c of all the hate if there isn’t a show in New Hampshire or Boston. 

On 9/14/2023 at 1:32 PM, Rude said:

I haven’t been on FB for prob 8 years but it’s always funny to read the Tour comments. One that recently made me giggle was someone said “Columbus finally!!!”  I guess Thornville is too long a haul. The northeasters are the greediest. If you don’t have the northeast on every tour those peeps are pissed. But I did learn that New York is way too far for someone from New England to travel b/c of all the hate if there isn’t a show in New Hampshire or Boston. 

I haven't heard Northeasterners complaining. I guess it's relative to who you have in your circle 🙂

Rude you can always hop on a plane and go see the band possibly the Northeast where the highest concentrations of deadheads in the nation are!

• Forum MVP

I was referring to FB peeps who demand the band play within 5 miles and don’t think a 1 hour drive is local. Unfortunately with a 2.75yr old, getting on planes are few and far between. But I will be doing 4-5 fall tour shows. Birmingham>Atlanta>Chattanooga then St. Louis and maybe chicago after. 
Our small local airport no longer has the 7am flight to chicago that lets us end up anywhere and now only flies to Charlotte. The other option is the 2 hour drive to Nashville which is no biggie if a direct flight. Last year for New Years dso we tried to find a flight that could get us to Albany leaving same day but the best we could find was 1 connection getting us there a few mins before show time. In the old days Philly was great b/c southwest flies there direct and cheap but having to add a travel day makes it too rough on the grandparents. Little boss is a handful. 

6 hours ago, Rude said:

I was referring to FB peeps who demand the band play within 5 miles and don’t think a 1 hour drive is local. Unfortunately with a 2.75yr old, getting on planes are few and far between. But I will be doing 4-5 fall tour shows. Birmingham>Atlanta>Chattanooga then St. Louis and maybe chicago after. 
Our small local airport no longer has the 7am flight to chicago that lets us end up anywhere and now only flies to Charlotte. The other option is the 2 hour drive to Nashville which is no biggie if a direct flight. Last year for New Years dso we tried to find a flight that could get us to Albany leaving same day but the best we could find was 1 connection getting us there a few mins before show time. In the old days Philly was great b/c southwest flies there direct and cheap but having to add a travel day makes it too rough on the grandparents. Little boss is a handful. 

Airports, decent hospitals, good italian resturants, seafood, cultural arts and culture in general are a few reasons I Haven't moved to the sticks!

• Forum MVP

Having been born and raised in New York City but spending the last few decades in the land of corn and soybeans I have the following observations:

The rural vs urban divide is just as if not more so the source of the destructive polarization going on.

Does anybody where I currently live give a rats ass about the NYC subway system? Yet I explain to the indigenous population that my parents never had a drivers license. Their livelihoods and my upbringing depended on the mass transit system.

When I was growing up,I thought that corn grew in the A&P cause there was always plenty there. There was and is little appreciation of the agribusiness it requires in fly over country to feed the city folk.

So IMHO I believe it best to live in the sticks and visit the city.

Especially true if raising kids.

I have seen just as many GD shows in Alpine Valley as MSG. I loved both for different reasons.

Over the past 20+ years and hundreds of DSO shows, in the aggregate, I have no issue with what their tour schedule offered regarding location.

Sometimes the light shines on me, other times…

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I like living in a smaller city. Luckily we are the economic hub of the area with 2 full service hospitals that serve the 250k people in surrounding counties which brings lots of professionals here. We also have the western district of KY federal courthouse that brings more than our share of lawyers here. The surrounding counties are white supremacist strongholds but we are the little blue blip in a sea of red.  It’s a cute little town. My mortgage is eye poppingly low. Everything I need besides shows, which many of us have to travel for besides the 5 a year some get locally, I have. I do lack live music on weekends if we did anything at night anymore. 

Although New Jersey gets a bad rap it is a good place to live. It is the Garden State and not sure how I would fare without Jersey corn and Jersey tomatoes not to mention all the other great fruits and vegetable grown here. I have spent 10 plus years traveling into New York City daily, Manhattan Brooklyn mostly. I would much rather live where I live and travel to the city. It takes just as much time for me to go to the city as to the beach or to Ken Lockwood Gorge or many other areas that are beautiful parts of New Jersey. I couldn't handle living anywhere near a place like "try that small town" I get very nervous when I am surrounded by nothing but Caucasian people. Except at a Grateful Dead like event...