Football

bs69

• Forum MVP

I really hope that Georgia beats Alabama but I'm nervous. When I've watched Alabama they haven't looked very good like a typical Alabama team. Georgia has looked great,  especially on defense,  but I'm not so sure about the offenses they have gone up against. We'll see. I just hope that my Bearcats win and get in. Very happy for Marcus Freeman at Notre Dame and that Fickel will be staying at Cincy at least until the Ohio State job opens up. Interested in your take on the Notre Dame coaching situation Desert Dad?

• Forum MVP

Thanks, BS.  Yeah, we are thrilled about Marcus Freeman.  The notion that a head coach has to be tested at that level prior to taking over at ND is as stale as our last national championship.

The guy is dynamic and engaging, not to mention hard working, both as a coach and just as importantly as a recruiter.  Already getting some studs to commit, and now this will hold things together.  

We are also thrilled that Tommy Rees and most of the staff, in general, is staying.  

I appreciate Kelly for leaving ND in a MUCH better place than we he found it, and also for leaving haha.  Guy is a knob.  I don’t wish him any ill, though.  

I prefer Marcus to Fickell and to Campbell, so happy for all.

Now we’ll see what happens this weekend and if Freeman’s first game is in the Playoffs or just a NY6 Bowl.  His first regular season game at the Horseshoe, where he played.

And, yeah, it seems a lot of our respective coaches were at each other’s school haha.

Cool ish!

DD

• Forum MVP

It’s funny that Riley ran away from the SEC and Kelly ran to it. Sorta crazy to bolt before a potential playoff appearance. Riley is like now that Oklahoma is in the SEC I’m looking at 3 loss seasons being the norm so let’s go to the last cupcake conference left, but Kelly thinks he can recruit the 5 star guys at LSU he couldn’t get at notre dame. Interesting divergent paths. 

• Forum MVP

You guys will get to play Bama game 1. Ouchies. Bryce young is a generational QB with maybe the fastest release of any QB on earth literally. It’s probably a 50% shot of another SEC final. Michigan Georgia May be a game but if cincy keeps it within 14 that will be a win for them. Bama running that hurryup with the number 1 draft pick in 2023 at QB gives them so many chances. That auburn game where they refused to block was a wake up call.  I’d Metchie has a serious injury it may be a bit closer but 2 1st round receivers and the number 1 overall lock in 2 years is going to be hard to stop. 

edit: unless Michigan loses then you will likely play Georgia game 1. Bama has the 1 seed. Michigan and Georgia will be the 2/3 in whatever order and cincy the 4. Cincy will prob take the 3 if Michigan loses which is doubtful vs the worst power 5 offense in Iowa 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
14 hours ago, bs69 said:

Happy to be in no matter who we play. 

it’s definitely exciting that a non power 5 made it in. I think Michigan Georgia will be a good game. Neither Georgia or Michigan have big offenses so it will be a defensive battle. 

• Forum MVP

Ya Georgia let us all down. 2 SEC teams again. CFP is getting boring in its current format. Just crown SEC champ national champ. If you not in SEC you have to do more to get in. It's almost feels like intentional corruption. Keep league special. Georgia through that game. Bama couldn't score against Auburn. This amazing QB couldn't get it done against Auburn then he smokes Georgia. 

Let's do best of 3 from the top of SEC. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Confused (neutral) 1

We all seen this Charlie Brown and Lucy gig before.  Ol Chuck (Georgia) thinks he will finally kick that football (beat 'Bama) only to have Lucy (Bama) pull it away for a disappointment of biblical proportions!

I was quick to bring up how Bama got a Playoff bid 5 yrs ago even though they did not represent the SEC in the Conference Championship Game, Bama did not "earn" an invite.  I will apply that same thought process here, after seeing Georgia get pummeled by Bama again, they have not "earned" an invite. Michigan will be no gimme for them Dawgs but as much as I would hate to see it, Georgia needs to earn the right to be in this Championship Game and I think they really need to go through Bama to earn that right... 

I love SEC Football, but is a possible all SEC Championship Game the best thing for College football?  

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Tom Banjo said:

No one is saying the SEC champ doesn't deserve to be in or even number one. I'd even fight for Georgia to be the number 4 team if they played Bama close. You know a 24 to 21 game. A game like auburn played. Georgia got handled start to finish. 

If you’re saying that whoever the number 5 team is should be in instead of both teams from the SEC that just played each other, that is an opinion I could quickly get on board with.  😇

• Forum MVP

Georgia was completely dominant all year long. Their defense allowed 6.9 pts per game. They allowed 7 TDs in 12 games. They finished 12-1. Bama went 9-1 vs FPI top 40 teams. Bama played 10 top 40 FPI teams this year which is nuts. Georgia went 4-1 vs top 40 FPI in the easier East but they dominated all comers. Cincinnati deserves the playoff spot but they didn’t play the way Georgia did all year and Houston wasn’t even an FPI top 40 team. Cincy was 1-0 vs top 40 FPI teams. Cincy can prove they belong by playing Bama close. 

luckily a 12 team playoff will be coming soon. 

I still think Ohio state is a top 3 team this year and I despise OSU. This year they dominated after the slow start and the snow game in Michigan. In a 12 team playoff they would have a good shot at winning it all. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Rude said:

Georgia was completely dominant all year long. Their defense allowed 6.9 pts per game. They allowed 7 TDs in 12 games. They finished 12-1. Bama went 9-1 vs FPI top 40 teams. Bama played 10 top 40 FPI teams this year which is nuts. Georgia went 4-1 vs top 40 FPI in the easier East but they dominated all comers. Cincinnati deserves the playoff spot but they didn’t play the way Georgia did all year and Houston wasn’t even an FPI top 40 team. Cincy was 1-0 vs top 40 FPI teams. Cincy can prove they belong by playing Bama close. 

luckily a 12 team playoff will be coming soon. 

I still think Ohio state is a top 3 team this year and I despise OSU. This year they dominated after the slow start and the snow game in Michigan. In a 12 team playoff they would have a good shot at winning it all. 

Lol at Ohio State somehow still being top 3 in your world.  Instead of who?

One of the teams that would be in a 12 team playoff with them just beat their ass.

Another team that would be in the 12 team playoff (Utah) beat the shit out of a team that beat Ohio State at home.  Twice.

I suggest Ohio State worry about being the best team in Pasadena on January 1.

Before any more about Ohio State, who is that they beat/dominated?  Sparty?  Maryland? 

• Forum MVP

I didn’t say they deserved a playoff spot but I think they are one of the top 3 teams. They weren’t ready to play Michigan. That’s for sure but they were dominating teams all year. They lost game 1 to Oregon but OSU has been a notoriously bad team out of the gate in the past decade. They have some really bad wins in the opening weeks. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Rude said:

I didn’t say they deserved a playoff spot but I think they are one of the top 3 teams. They weren’t ready to play Michigan. That’s for sure but they were dominating teams all year. They lost game 1 to Oregon but OSU has been a notoriously bad team out of the gate in the past decade. They have some really bad wins in the opening weeks. 

I agree. With a new freshman starting qb and revamped defense,  not a good year to start with a conference game on the road followed by a home game against a to 10 team. Tough start for Freeman next year playing a more veteran Ohio state at the start of the year. My Bearcats will be reloading after this year and starting at Arkansas,  that should be a test. 

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Rude said:

So more of the games not counting?  😂

First it was Oregon shouldn’t count because it was “early”.  

Now a pass on Michigan because they weren’t ready? 🤣 How about too fucking bad?  Michigan beat their ass and was ready.  What are we supposed to say to them?  

I mean, I hate Michigan with the intensity of a thousand Suns, but THEY are a top 3 team.  I think Georgia is.  I think Alabama is. 

Are you playing a joke on me, or is this intended to be serious?

I have an idea, it may sound familiar.  I say instead of ranking teams based on recruiting rankings (done by a bunch of guys who could not get work actually coaching the game) or how they “look”, how about we actually let them play, and the results of those games matter?

And not sure what difference you’re trying to clarify between Ohio State being top three and them making the playoffs?  Those equate to the same thing, correct?  (Same thing, get it! 😁)

• Forum MVP

I’m not saying they are a playoff team but think they are one of the 3 best. It’s like the undefeated 2007 patriots who lost to Eli in the SB. They were better than the giants but lost to them. Michigan has come on strong. They peaked at the right time and that DE of theirs is spectacular. He actually may be a successful nfl player even though Dallas and many other teams have bitten into the fools gold on Michigan D linemen and lost. Taco charlton still leaves a bad taste in my mouth when TJ watt was taken right after him. Ugh. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

It’s insane right now. It’s going to get worse. Omicron is coming to infect everyone. The bears had their whole secondary on the covid list. The playoffs may become a joke if QBs are forced to sit. Green Bay is in the best position b/c Aaron Rodgers can’t be tested again before the super bowl with his 90 day test free window post covid. it looks like pretty much everyone is going to catch omicron in the next 2 months. I forsee some crappy games upcoming. There have been several so far from covid. At least there was nothing like last years Denver WR playing QB type game with 1 completed pass. 

• 2 weeks later...