Football

bs69

• Forum MVP

Cincinnati has less 4 star players on their team than Kentucky recruited just last year. Cincinnati’s 2019 recruiting class was rank 89. They had only a handful of 3* players. If you battle teams with talent and you lack talent, eventually you will lose.....unless your only game with a top 50 ranked team is notre dame whos not that good. When you list Indiana as one of your hardest games, your schedule is garbage. Michigan vs Ohio state will determine who wins the big 10. Iowa won’t be competition for either of those. That big 10 west is trash. Michigan state is a product of a really bad schedule. I wouldn’t doubt they lose 3 games this year, but penn state has fallen apart after that Iowa game they had handled until they lost their QB. He’s back but he’s not the same. You don’t lose to Illinois and score only 10pts in regulation vs a team like that. 

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Rude said:

Cincinnati has less 4 star players on their team than Kentucky recruited just last year. Cincinnati’s 2019 recruiting class was rank 89. They had only a handful of 3* players. If you battle teams with talent and you lack talent, eventually you will lose.....unless your only game with a top 50 ranked team is notre dame whos not that good. When you list Indiana as one of your hardest games, your schedule is garbage. Michigan vs Ohio state will determine who wins the big 10. Iowa won’t be competition for either of those. That big 10 west is trash. Michigan state is a product of a really bad schedule. I wouldn’t doubt they lose 3 games this year, but penn state has fallen apart after that Iowa game they had handled until they lost their QB. He’s back but he’s not the same. You don’t lose to Illinois and score only 10pts in regulation vs a team like that. 

Not sure what the point is here.  Is it that teams with more talent typically beat teams with less?

100% agree.

But this is like an ongoing pic of man screaming at clouds.  🙃

I do also see your unsolicited jab at my Irish haha.

They're not great, but they’re top 10.

Which is pretty good.

• Forum MVP

Of course it’s great being 6-1. FPI has ND at 15th and cincy at 9th. Anyone in top 25 FPI can beat anyone not top 3 any given week. My only cincy point is the only top 40 team they play all year is ND. So is it fair they make a playoff vs say a Texas A&M who plays 7 top 25. The playoff needs to expand. In basketball it doesn’t matter if you are rank 3 or rank 30. You get a shot to prove you are the best. The SEC is refusing the 8 team playoff format especially adding Texas and Oklahoma. It would give 1 spot to all 5 conferences, 1 to an independent/mid major. That’s no good for a conference where you have so many teams that will beat up on each other because of the consolidation of top talent and now it’s about to get even worse. You are looking at half the top 25 recruiting classes all in 1 conference and yes teams with better talent beat up on ones with less. It’s why Ohio state dominates the big 10 now. It’s not great coaching. They have underperformed several years recently with talent second only to Alabama but they still rule the conference. 

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Rude said:

Of course it’s great being 6-1. FPI has ND at 15th and cincy at 9th. Anyone in top 25 FPI can beat anyone not top 3 any given week. My only cincy point is the only top 40 team they play all year is ND. So is it fair they make a playoff vs say a Texas A&M who plays 7 top 25. The playoff needs to expand. In basketball it doesn’t matter if you are rank 3 or rank 30. You get a shot to prove you are the best. The SEC is refusing the 8 team playoff format especially adding Texas and Oklahoma. It would give 1 spot to all 5 conferences, 1 to an independent/mid major. That’s no good for a conference where you have so many teams that will beat up on each other because of the consolidation of top talent and now it’s about to get even worse. You are looking at half the top 25 recruiting classes all in 1 conference and yes teams with better talent beat up on ones with less. It’s why Ohio state dominates the big 10 now. It’s not great coaching. They have underperformed several years recently with talent second only to Alabama but they still rule the conference. 

You can't just go by recruiting classes today because it gets redistributed through the portal. I'm an Ohio State fan (grew up in Ohio) and UC fan (alum). Ohio State brings in 4 and 5 stars every year and a lot don't see the playing time they expect and transfer, like Williams to Alabama,  but must go to good mid level teams like UC. UC has 2-3 players that will go in the first round of the draft this year and another couple that will go 2nd day. They can play with anyone this year. I hope they get the chance. 

• Forum MVP

That is true. But Georgia’s defense is mostly 5-star starters and the rest 4’s. It’s why it’s the best defense college has seen since bamas single digit average points allowed D. It’s also why Georgia’s front 4 will all be 1st and 2nd round picks which is unprecedented. 

I don’t see how Ohio state didn’t jump Oklahoma in the AP poll. The Kansas win is really a loss for Oklahoma and now Ohio state is blowing teams out. The AP poll is pretty much win loss record. Iowa state was a 7 point fav over 8 rank Oklahoma state and when ISU won they called it an upset when it was far from that. Right now Ohio state would be a 8-10 point fav over Oklahoma. I’m no OSU fan but they have skill players and skill players win games. I see the playoff assuming Oklahoma wins out being Georgia v Oklahoma and osu v cincy. Both of those are bad matchups. Cincy vw Oklahoma is a close one and Georgia v Ohio state would only be a 3 point spread at this point. But if you flip those it’s 2 10-14pt spread games. Osu has Michigan which will be their only test and that’s gonna be a 7 pt spread 

on 1 last note. No team has won the national championship that didn’t consistently recruit top 5 classes. It is all about talent to be the best. You can beat others lacking talent but not win it all. Bamas loss to Texas A&M wasn’t a huge upset considering A&M had 3 straight 6th ranked recruiting classes. They feed the NFL talent. Skill players make plays and you get beat sometimes. Ohio state lost to an Oregon team that has started putting together consistent top 10 classes and pulled a 3rd rank class. Penn states loss to Illinois was a no excuse game. Illinois is slow slow slow. 

• Forum MVP
On 10/25/2021 at 3:42 PM, Rude said:

Bro, you always jam so many ideas into these football posts 😅

Ok.  

If the SEC wants to watch each other play in just them in a playoff format they already have it.  It’s called the regular season.

Every year we hear the SEC thing, and every year they lose a bunch of bowl games.

I know, I know, it’s because they don’t care.

Got it.

Look, the top 3 used to be a top 4 just over a month ago, and you had it nailed down that Clemson was a lock for the Playoffs along with Bama, UGA, and OSU.

Now 25% of that is gone.

Games need to be played.  They matter.

Georgia was mediocre 10 years ago, they will return there someday.  Look at USC.  Florida State.  They blow.  They will not always blow.  The game is cyclical.

Would help if Nick Saban could retire so other teams could have a chance haha.

• Forum MVP

I’m a stat nerd. This shits fun for me. Spreads have always fascinated me. You see a crazy one that you are like that can’t be true and they are dead on. I think that FPi site is pretty crazy. It’s dead on with upcoming spreads. I was doing a test with a buddy before the next weeks spreads came out and it was within 1-2 points of each spread subtracting 1 teams FPI index from the others. 

I just want a 12 team playoff. I want to see a team like Ole Miss get a shot. Having to mostly go undefeated isn’t realistic for teams outside of the ACC this year and even there it won’t happen but there are teams who are great but lost a game. I think 2025 is when a 12 team is projected to start. Win or go home games are so intense. 

and actually the SEC was 7-2 last year and 8-2 in bowl games in 2019 and have at least a 60% win rate vs any other conference and they even schedule games like SEC 5 vs ACC 2. Top to bottom it’s the best every year of the last 15 years. They may not have THE best team but the depth is crazy and they pull 10 of the top 20 recruiting classes every year. Tennessee is 4-4 and that’s a team no one wants to play. They lost so many close games vs top teams. They will beat Florida this weekend. That’s my prediction.  

• Forum MVP

Don't Georgia and Florida play this week,  not Tennessee and Florida? I think 12 teams is too many for a playoff. They will need to get rid of conference championship games if you have 12 and teams will rest players late in the year when they know they are in. I think 6 or 8 would be much better to keep the excitement of the regular season. I love college football because the regular season games are so good. There are a lot of blowouts but in any window there are a couple tight games to follow and so many games can affect your teams chances to make the playoffs. This weekends slate looks great. 

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

I remember in high school, (graduated ‘79) one of my teachers would just tell stories, barely taught. He told us of being in Alabama, the football fans would have a box of Tide laundry detergent in the back window of their car with a roll of toilet paper on either side of the box of Tide.
Roll, Tide, Roll.  

• Forum MVP
9 hours ago, bs69 said:

Crazy to think but it looks likely that we will have a playoff without Ohio State,  Clemson, Oklahoma and Alabama

Yeah it is.  

Good thing we went ahead and let Michigan and Ohio State actually play the football game.  😆

Congrats to Michigan on an impressive win (Tea!).  

• Forum MVP
12 hours ago, bs69 said:

Crazy to think but it looks likely that we will have a playoff without Ohio State,  Clemson, Oklahoma and Alabama

True that likely Bama won’t get in but they are only 6.5 point dogs. The game is on turf in a dome on a neutral field. Well it’s actually not very neutral as Bama dominates in the Georgia dome. Who would be the 4th team in if Bama loses?  It’s either Bama or Ohio state. Unfortunately we won’t get to see Bama vs Ohio state. Wanted to see that one. Cincy should be rhe 4 no matter who’s in as they are by far the easiest team who can be in the playoffs and Georgia deserves getting them. 

• Forum MVP
15 hours ago, Rude said:

True that likely Bama won’t get in but they are only 6.5 point dogs. The game is on turf in a dome on a neutral field. Well it’s actually not very neutral as Bama dominates in the Georgia dome. Who would be the 4th team in if Bama loses?  It’s either Bama or Ohio state. Unfortunately we won’t get to see Bama vs Ohio state. Wanted to see that one. Cincy should be rhe 4 no matter who’s in as they are by far the easiest team who can be in the playoffs and Georgia deserves getting them. 

I'd say with a Georgia win you would have: 

1. Georgia

2. Michigan (assuming they win)

3. Cincinnati (assuming they win)

4. OK. St. (assuming they win)

A loss by any of 2-4 opens the door for Notre Dame. I wonder if they would put Notre Dame in ahead of Cincy if Cincy lost close?

• Like (+1) 1

If Cincinnati loses, they’re not only out, they’ll lose their NY6 bid to Houston.  And let’s not assume Bama loses.  Never bet against Saban.  And Michigan and OK St could both lose.  

My guess however is

Georgia

Michigan

OK St

ND

if Bama wins, OK St is out.  

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
On 11/28/2021 at 9:05 PM, Rude said:

Ohio State is out unless Michigan, Cincinnati, Alabama, and Oklahoma State all lose.  If that happens, they could be selected.

That level of chaos would lead to

1. Georgia

2. ND

3. Baylor

4. Ole Miss or Ohio State or some Pac 12 team

Your comment about Georgia is more of the same about eyeballing it.  Georgia’s first test of the year comes Saturday.  They are very much number 1, but seedings based on what they deserve is not how it works.

And yes, BS, if Cincinnati loses, they are immediately out of the Playoffs.  

• Forum MVP

If Bama beats Georgia, we will see that game again in the finals. 

If Bama wins its 

1.  Bama

2.  Georgia

3.  Cincy

4  Michigan 

if Georgia wins you can’t include Bama b/c they can’t play Georgia again as it makes the sec championship irrelevant. No one wants to see Bama at 4 and Georgia at 1 having to play each other again. 

It has already been proven that Conference Games are nothing but irrelevant Cash Grabs!  Going back to the 2016 season, Georgia and Auburn played in the SEC Conference Game. Both Auburn and Georgia beat Alabama during the regular season (remember the "Kick Six"). But given that, Alabama, who did not even represent their conference, was still selected to the Championship series!  I agree that Bama was the best team in college football that season, but hey, on any given Saturday right?

If you don't even represent your conference championship game, how do you leap frog into the NCAA Championship???  Yeah that still chaps my hyde, and any day Nick Satan cries and loses, that is a good day!

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, Tom Banjo said:

I hope Georgia smokes Bama.

Alabama’s best offense is probably equal to Georgia’s best defense. The question is can Georgia score against Bama bevause Bama will put up points 

• Forum MVP
9 hours ago, Rude said:

I’ll guess 27 points. The bigger question is can Georgia score against Bama. Bama has 1st round offensive skill position guys and prob the 1st QB in the 2023 draft. Georgia doesn’t. 

Agree that this will be a big test for Georgia.  (Understatement.)

If I had to pick a winner, I’d pick Georgia, but a Bama win would not surprise me much.  Will be fun!