Football

bs69

• Forum MVP

It's about time to talk some football. The season is in full swing with fans in the stands. I'm personally more of a college fan than pro but am very happy to see my Bengals at least decent this year. So far so good on my Cincinnati Bearcats crashing the playoff party this year,  I don't think they'll get in even if they run the table but fun nonetheless. 

• Forum MVP

This is the year they have a shot to get in. The issue is the 1 and 2 teams are freaking evil this year. Georgia’s starting defense hasn’t allowed a TD in 5 games. The 2 TDs they allowed were Q4 with the starters removed. If Bama and Georgia go 12-0 into the SEC championship the winner gets the 1 and other the 2. The 3 and 4 are wide open. 

In pros it’s nice to see my cowboys looking good so far. Their degense is still suspect but they have won the turnover battle every game. That won’t last but happy to be 3-1 right now. 

• Forum MVP

You are rooting for Texas this week hard. You need Oklahoma who’s looked horrible so far to finally lose one of those close games. Not covering a spread or even close to covering a spread for a team with an elite QB coming back is inexcusable. Reminds me of that year where Ohio state didn’t cover the 1st 5 weeks almost losing to Illinois state and they stayed rank 1. There should be no preseason ranking. Rankings should start after week 1. 

So SEC likely gets 2 in. Big 10 1. Acc 0. Pac 12 0. Big 12 undetermined. If Texas can beat Oklahoma cincy may sneak in. Thank Clemson as they have taken a spot every year with that weak schedule. I think cincy gets in if they don’t lose. 

• Forum MVP

Penn state was dominating until they lost their QB. The replacement was garbage. 2 ints and 36 passing yards. Eww. Iowa got away with one. 

Georgia’s defense continues to dominate. Their number 1 2018 recruiting class with 8 5 star players is why that defense is so good. They still have 5 of those 5* guys starting their senior year. That front 4 is fantastic. 

UK a surprising 6-0. They are probably equivalent of Iowa but no where near a legit playoff team and at Georgia next week the fantasy comes to an end. UK has been feeding 1st and 2nd round defenders to the pros the last few years and this defense looks pretty good. The offense is going to have a rough time vs Georgia next week. 

texas A&m’s pro talent finally showed up. 3 straight rank 6 recruiting classes but Jimbo wasn’t getting the talent to do what it should. They put Bama in a hole early and even when Bama took the lead their defense couldn’t hold. This is why Georgia was number 1 FPI. That D line plus a few LB’s are all going pro and Kirby is the best defensive coach in the country. 

Oklahoma dashed a bit of Cincinnati’s playoff hopes yesterday with that comeback. Cincy needed Texas to hold that lead. Oklahoma is a horrible defensive team. Big play after big play. Big 12 can recruit offense but they don’t get the elite defenders. I mean why would any top defender go to teams that allow 50 a game.  

Ohio state is finally getting it together a bit and getting the the ball to the NFL guys. Feed the talent. 

Ohio state can win out and get playoff. If Bama wins out and beats Georgia in the championship they will get in along with Georgia. Then if Oklahoma wins out too, cincy will miss the playoffs.

I’m going with Georgia, Ohio state, Oklahoma and Cincy as the 1-4. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Rude said:

Penn state was dominating until they lost their QB. The replacement was garbage. 2 ints and 36 passing yards. Eww. Iowa got away with one. 

Georgia’s defense continues to dominate. Their number 1 2018 recruiting class with 8 5 star players is why that defense is so good. They still have 5 of those 5* guys starting their senior year. That front 4 is fantastic. 

UK a surprising 6-0. They are probably equivalent of Iowa but no where near a legit playoff team and at Georgia next week the fantasy comes to an end. UK has been feeding 1st and 2nd round defenders to the pros the last few years and this defense looks pretty good. The offense is going to have a rough time vs Georgia next week. 

texas A&m’s pro talent finally showed up. 3 straight rank 6 recruiting classes but Jimbo wasn’t getting the talent to do what it should. They put Bama in a hole early and even when Bama took the lead their defense couldn’t hold. This is why Georgia was number 1 FPI. That D line plus a few LB’s are all going pro and Kirby is the best defensive coach in the country. 

Oklahoma dashed a bit of Cincinnati’s playoff hopes yesterday with that comeback. Cincy needed Texas to hold that lead. Oklahoma is a horrible defensive team. Big play after big play. Big 12 can recruit offense but they don’t get the elite defenders. I mean why would any top defender go to teams that allow 50 a game.  

Ohio state is finally getting it together a bit and getting the the ball to the NFL guys. Feed the talent. 

Ohio state can win out and get playoff. If Bama wins out and beats Georgia in the championship they will get in along with Georgia. Then if Oklahoma wins out too, cincy will miss the playoffs.

I’m going with Georgia, Ohio state, Oklahoma and Cincy as the 1-4. 

Anti West Coast post here.

Oregon controls its destiny from my point of view.  Hard for Ohio State to argue against them this year.

I see these teams in for sure:

Georgia

Cincinnati

Oklahoma

Last spot to either Oregon or Alabama.

B1G cannibalizes itself, with Ohio State probably beating everyone, but Oregon handled their chances in the Shoe.

My Irish probably end around 6 in POCOM poll.  Maybe get Michigan or Iowa in Fiesta?

• Forum MVP

Oregon has a bad loss to Stanford and really not much the rest of the way that’s a roadblock or can show the committee they beat another good team. Ohio state has many chances to improve its stock and at 1 loss they get in over Oregon even with Oregon winning head to head assuming osu doesn’t play scrubs to 1 score games and handily takes care of them. Cincy has had a great little run, but would they be a playoff team If in SEC west? That’s a division that is cannibalising itself. There’s so much talent in that division. UK is lucky theY are in the East with a much easier road to a decent bowl. 61 years since UK started 6-0 but most of those years are because of Florida and Georgia and with Georgia next week we’d need a miracle. But holy shit we’d likely win the SEC East if we beat Georgia. I can dream right lol. 

• Forum MVP
8 hours ago, Rude said:

Oregon has a bad loss to Stanford and really not much the rest of the way that’s a roadblock or can show the committee they beat another good team. Ohio state has many chances to improve its stock and at 1 loss they get in over Oregon even with Oregon winning head to head assuming osu doesn’t play scrubs to 1 score games and handily takes care of them. Cincy has had a great little run, but would they be a playoff team If in SEC west? That’s a division that is cannibalising itself. There’s so much talent in that division. UK is lucky theY are in the East with a much easier road to a decent bowl. 61 years since UK started 6-0 but most of those years are because of Florida and Georgia and with Georgia next week we’d need a miracle. But holy shit we’d likely win the SEC East if we beat Georgia. I can dream right lol. 

They played head to head.

Not just you, RD, but the mental gymnastics that we see to skirt this fact is funny to me.

Can I tell BS that the Irish deserve in more than Cincinnati, too?

• Forum MVP

The Irish are looking at 100-1 odds to win it all which means they won’t get in. 

Right now the odds to win it all are 

Georgia 7/5

Bama 2/1

osu 9-1

oklahoma 14-1

iowa 20-1

cincy 25-1

michigan 30-1

oregon 50-1

based on this, Oregon is a longshoreman to make it to the playoff. 

oh and the money line on Kentucky vs Georgia is KY +1100. Georgia -2000. Thats extremely high lol. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Rude said:

The Irish are looking at 100-1 odds to win it all which means they won’t get in. 

Right now the odds to win it all are 

Georgia 7/5

Bama 2/1

osu 9-1

oklahoma 14-1

iowa 20-1

cincy 25-1

michigan 30-1

oregon 50-1

based on this, Oregon is a longshoreman to make it to the playoff. 

oh and the money line on Kentucky vs Georgia is KY +1100. Georgia -2000. Thats extremely high lol. 

if this thread would have started a month ago you’d be saying how Clemson is a lock.

my point remains, the games do need to be played.

perhaps Iowa can beat the buckeyes, etc.

• Forum MVP

The games have to be played of course. Just looking where the money is being laid. I think at this point Ohio State is the only team that would scare me if I was Georgia. They have the talent to compete. Teams with offensive lines that are future accountants will be destroyed by that front 4 who will be in need of good accountants. 

• Forum MVP

I think Oregon, Oklahoma and Iowa will all lose a game down the stretch. Losing Verdell is huge for Oregon. As a Cincy alum, I sure hope we get a shot if we run the table. I think we can hang with most of the top teams and win with a few breaks. I think we could run the table in any league/ division except the two SEC divisions and big ten east. The one thing we are still a little behind on is building up offensive line talent,  we have some pretty good young guys but our like us so a year or two away. 

• Forum MVP

I looked up cincinatti’s recruiting on rivals. Of the last 4 classes the top one was rank 39. They had an 89 ranked class that was mostly 2 star players. A good coached team can play way above their heads but when teams like Ohio state, Bama, Georgia play you, the speed can be too much. I think Ohio state is going to run the table in the big 10 and get in as a 3 seed. I don’t see how Iowa’s offense can score enough to beat Ohio state. I think cincy will get in as a 4 seed and play Georgia game 1 and Ridder will need the game of his life to keep it close. Lots to be played though. All Kentucky needs to do is beat Georgia, an upstart tennessee And Alabama and they get the 1 seed. Very doable 😂

• Forum MVP

If anyone is wondering what the spread is going to be on games, use the FPI ranking. Every team has a number. For example Georgia is rank 1 with 28.8. Kentucky is rank 32 with an FPI of 7.9. Georgia would be a 21 favorite on neutral field. They were a 22.5 favorite at home. Georgia, Alabama and Ohio state are 123. Iowa is rank 18 and would be around an 11 point underdog to Ohio state. Sandiego state, UTSA and SMU are 22,24 and 21 in the AP but are 63,59 and rank 40 in the FPI. They would be 6-10pt underdogs to tennessee. It’s a pretty cool tool if you want to figure spreads. It’s pretty much within 3 points of Vegas point spreads. Here’s the link if you are curious. https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi

• Forum MVP

Perfect weekend for shows if there were any. Worst college games ever and I mean maybe ever. Pure trash mashups. Clemson and Pitt May be the best game.  That’s just sad. Homecoming/bye week. Ugh. Every good team is playing the worst team. Michigan v northwestern. Blah. Penn state v Illinois. Ewww. Oklahoma v Kansas. Wtf. Cincinnati v navy. Ohio state v Indians. All time worst week ever. Bama v tennessee is compelling b/c tennessee will keep it within 14. That’s the good game....... bad bad week of college football. 

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, BillK522 said:

Who knew about these new OT rules?

I saw PSU/IL 20-18 in 9OT and was

like WTF?

BTW:  Alabama's student section has talent.

Praise DSO.

I was thinking the same thing while watching that PSU/IL game. A lot of games turned out to be more interesting than expected yesterday,  that's what makes college football so great. 

• Forum MVP
On 10/24/2021 at 7:25 AM, BillK522 said:

Who knew about these new OT rules?

I saw PSU/IL 20-18 in 9OT and was

like WTF?

BTW:  Alabama's student section has talent.

Praise DSO.

see what I’m saying about sec on cbs. Perv producers. Between every play they find a girl with cleavage to show. At the Georgia game they featured a chick with intentional underboob showing. 

Put the ball at the 2. At the 3 is too much for 2 inept offensive teams. 

for such a horrible day on paper, 2 bottom 10 fpi teams in navy and Kansas almost upset 2 “top 5” teams. Oklahoma has looked bad all year. Cincy showed how a team who’s highest ranked recruiting class in at rank 39 can’t be consistent enough to battle the top teams or Georgia, Alabama and Ohio state. 

the FPI has Georgia, Bama and ohio state at least 7-10 point favorites over everyone else. Those 3 teams are head and shoulders above the rest of football. Oklahoma was a 40pt favorite over lowly Kansas and almost lost. There was a point where Michigan, Oklahoma, penn state and Cincinnati’s total points scored was less than navy, Kansas, Illinois and northwestern combined.  

• Forum MVP
8 minutes ago, Rude said:

see what I’m saying about sec on cbs. Perv producers. Between every play they find a girl with cleavage to show. At the Georgia game they featured a chick with intentional underboob showing. 

Put the ball at the 2. At the 3 is too much for 2 inept offensive teams. 

for such a horrible day on paper, 2 bottom 10 fpi teams in navy and Kansas almost upset 2 “top 5” teams. Oklahoma has looked bad all year. Cincy showed how a team who’s highest ranked recruiting class in at rank 39 can’t be consistent enough to battle the top teams or Georgia, Alabama and Ohio state. 

the FPI has Georgia, Bama and ohio state at least 7-10 point favorites over everyone else. Those 3 teams are head and shoulders above the rest of football. Oklahoma was a 40pt favorite over lowly Kansas and almost lost. There was a point where Michigan, Oklahoma, penn state and Cincinnati’s total points scored was less than navy, Kansas, Illinois and northwestern combined.  

Cincinnati battled Georgia in last year’s bowl game.

But other than that one, recent example, it sure does seem impossible.