Casey Jones.

Set Two

Cumberland Blues, Big Boy Pete, Big Boss Man, Cryptical>

Drums>Other One>Cryptical>Wharf Rat>St. Stephen>

Goin' Down the Road>Lovelight.

E:  Johnny B. Goode.

Our band delivered the goods.  The all powerful

Elective reaches new heights in Atlanta.  You  keep

going to shows to catch an evening like this one.

I was giggling typing the list, I mean look at that

masterpiece.  Where to begin, a Pig night to be sure.

First set reaches flawlessly delivered, the sandwich,

filling.  After a great jump to the second, the business 

really picked up during the BBP/BBM combo.  I thoroughly

lost my marbles on that pair.  Other One an epic journey,

Stephen transcendental, the Pig Lovelight complete with

all scat covered by Rob.  Thanks band and crew.

See you in Orlando.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

The cucamonga sandwich with king bee gave us a hint of what we were in for. The cryptical>lovelight was one insane song. The construction of the jam segments was so unique. Every song in set 2 had a complete deconstruction of the song. You could play just a jam segment of any song in set 2 and no one is guessing what song you are in. Very dark hard psychedelic Jazz. Every song left the structure of the song and went into a fantastic jam segment. It was nuts. The lovelight to finish was psychadelic butter. That hour long nonstop segment was a pure improv masterpiece. Wow. They came at us hard tonight. There was no space in the cryptical, just drums. Been a while since I’ve seen an original not have a space segment. I guess it’s why koritz had a quick pee before cryptical lol. This was a ridiculous show. The song construction was very different or weird even. They created alternate jazz melodies for songs. It was a barrage of I’m in a mood to see how far we can take intersong jams. I’m like well they left GDTRFB. They left every other song, then well lovelight will be more straightforward. Nope. 4 minute crazy jazz jam segment and when they return to the song it’s done completely different than you will ever hear. It was like they were playing it in a different key or something. Trust me it was mind blowing hour segment in set 2. 

oh and Jeff busted out a new guitar, peanut. It’s like a replica of a guitar Jerry played in 71 maybe? That must have been the inspiration for this 2 drummer early 70s show. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Forum MVP

It’s hard to really feel that early 70’s hard jamming psychsdelia when at the house mostly because the quality of the boards won’t let you get all of the intricacies of the original. Hearing this on that amazing PA system in all its glory is hard to describe. I thought their compositions were all so original. The style was unique, the transitions were improv genius and they really stretched a lot of songs to their limit. 16 minute other one, 18 minute lovelight, 9 minute GDTRFB. They didn’t skimp on the jams. It was superb. Pig shined in this original. Got home a few hours ago and feel rejuvenated. There were these folding chairs zip tied taking up half the space in front of the board so we pushed several rows forward and several rows backwards and had this protected area that was around 25’x10’ for meili and I and a person here and there that wanted a lot of get down space. Slowly over 30 minutes I moved those rows of chairs as people would get up until we had this amazing area 20’ in front of the board where we could get wild and no one could interrupt. It was awesome. It was like some roped off vip area with just us using 200 sq feet of dance space. I wish the band would have sold more tickets but it was great for fans. Georgia @ Georgia tech was played that afternoon in Atlanta which definitely didn’t help. Met a group of 6 young guys who did the game then the show, but that definitely hurt attendance. I also think the area isn’t great for attendance. It’s sort of touristy with expensive parking on the outskirts of town near Marietta. It was great for a travel weekend as we had food and drink and venue all within a couple blocks. Hung around the Braves stadium Saturday afternoon after lunch. It’s definitely a solid spot for anyone who flew or drove in from out of town but could see how it may not be an ideal location for locals, but there are thousands of parking garage spots within 200 feet of the venue so it’s super easy to get in and out of considering they have parking to hold the 40k baseball fans who come to the games literally 20 feet away. Another great Dso weekend is in the books. We are very grateful to the band and to our friends who came. :))

• Like (+1) 5
  • Forum MVP
On 11/28/2021 at 7:15 PM, Rude said:

I It’s definitely a solid spot for anyone who flew or drove in from out of town but could see how it may not be an ideal location for locals, 

This new venue, Coca Cola Roxy, is actually located between Atlanta proper and the suburbs and just off I-75 and I-285.  It will be an easier drive for us Dead heads now living outside town than going all the way to Variety Playhouse in Little Five Points area where many other older folk are afraid of the free people there. I think that after we eventually get over the C19 stuff this venue will be sold out.

Unfortuntly I could not attend the shows because a few days earlier I was in the emergency room and hospilized for a whole week. I'm doing fine now and finally back home. My tickets did not go to waste for a good friend of ours who you all know was able to pick up the mircle tickets from me during a good welcome visit at the hospital.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP
5 hours ago, Michael Doc Watson said:

This new venue, Coca Cola Roxy, is actually located between Atlanta proper and the suburbs and just off I-75 and I-285.  It will be an easier drive for us Dead heads now living outside town than going all the way to Variety Playhouse in Little Five Points area where many other older folk are afraid of the free people there. I think that after we eventually get over the C19 stuff this venue will be sold out.

Unfortuntly I could not attend the shows because a few days earlier I was in the emergency room and hospilized for a whole week. I'm doing fine now and finally back home. My tickets did not go to waste for a good friend of ours who you all know was able to pick up the mircle tickets from me during a good welcome visit at the hospital.

Peace and Love,

Doc

I can attest the tickets were put to use.

Feel better Doc.

Praise DSO.

• Forum MVP
17 hours ago, Michael Doc Watson said:

Peace and Love,

Doc

you think concerts will ever be the same? I don’t think many will ever be over this. We’ve had 2 years of shit pounded into our collective heads and the country needs therapy. We will continue to do all the shows we can but many are still too scared and may never attend an indoor show again. My parents skipped the stones for covid fears and know my dad wouldn’t see an indoor show at this point and the stones was even outdoor. 

If Dso plays here again in 2-3 years, we’d definitely make the trip. It’s really nice having food hotel and venue all right next to each other. It’s an easy weekend setup and not many places are set up like this. The only thing that sucked were the bars mostly closed at midnight or 12:30 in the battery when most of those would have been 2am in 2019. And the bars were all huge pre baseball game type monstrosities. There were no dark quaint bars to have a drink post show right there.