Dark Star Jubilee 2022

LangeradoSoul

4 hours ago, Captain Zap said:

These are the dates posted on the darkstarjubilee.com site. I'm pretty sure they mean Friday May 27th closing Monday May 30th.

Just looking for someone to confirm for me because ... I'd hate to get it wrong.

Help!

Yes, it’s Friday 5/27- Monday 5/30

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

It’s Friday, Saturday, Sunday, wake up and get the fuck out as early as possible Monday which is usually 9-10am. Year 1 and 2 we straggled out around 12:30. Now once the shit is over we GTFO to get home as early as possible. In 1 the last 4 years I have woken up at 11am on Monday hours later than planned to an empty lot and all our friends gone. Tarp city with 15 people became our tent with several tarps on the ground with workers saying better start packing up. Made sure we got properly woken up for the police profiling so we could tell them to suck it if they pulled us over. If you don’t know, the state troopers have a spotter at the jubilee interstate entrance Monday and you have a good shot to get pulled over miles down the interstate, so don’t drive dirty post jubilee. Every year we see multiple cars with cops emptying backpacks on the side of the interstate. Have your fun 3 days and don’t be stupid because they don’t fuck around and we know peeps who got arrested and a lawyer actually came on forums to talk about illegal police profiling. Can’t repeat this enough. Don’t leave jubilee with a bowl. Toss it in the trash on Monday and wait until you get home. Cheers. 

• Like (+1) 1

My last Jubilee was at Nelson's Quarry ... a long time ago. I'm looking forward to this year and making it easy for myself by renting an RV for the adventure. I have never been to this venue and have no idea where to park to give me maximum exposure. I know nothing at all, other than I really want to be there.

Anybody got a digital map of the venue and parking area?

Who can give me advise for which tickets to buy and where to park. I'll be there to suck in the whole experience. I'd love some advice on what to stock up with ... do they have hookups for the RVs ... ect. ect.

One last quick question ... these tickets ... do I really need to pay for two RV tickets or can I buy one and lower the cost for my wife by buying a different type?

Looking forward to shaking my bones with all of you.

• Forum MVP

For RV just buy a regular Rv pass. You will be at top of the hill. No need for VIP RV. Regular is where everyone goes. It’s a good flat spot right outside the fence and there will be a ton of regulars there. 

you buy 1 RV pass for the vehicle and 2 festival passes. The RV pass is just for the RV. The festival pass is what will get you in and out of the venue. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I made a quick map markup on my phone. 

69-D4601-B-CF12-4968-938-D-1-C7609413-D2

I think VIP RV is behind the vip camping but regular RV is where pretty much everyone goes with RVs. You have a completely flat spot in regular RV. We used to do regular GA camping but you have to pack your gear around 500 feet. You are like 200 feet from the stage and super close in GA camping but packing gear up and down is a pain in the butt as you get older. Vip camping lets you camp next to your car but it’s a longer walk(maybe 700 feet to the stage). You are still close but not GA camping close. You get showers in Vip. I always used to say screw a shower, but a post show shower with hot water can be pretty freaking euphoric.  

edit: Ignore the pit pass stuff near the stage. This is a pic from another festival. The whole area is GA near the stage. 

• Like (+1) 2

Here's another map I did for someone a few years ago, to supplement rude's post:

The following is a rough and quick sketch on the camping areas of the festival. 

A. General Admission camping within Concert Bowl

B. General Admission Camping within Concert Bowl

C. Vendor Row by pine tree grove

D. Main Parking lot outside of concert venue (you can camp at your car if you want, its a grassy field). 

E. ADA camping for disabled folks, restricted camping. 

F. Family Camping, restricted. 

G. VIP RV Camping

H. GA RV Camping

I. VIP Camping

Dark%20Star%20Jubilee%20rough%20map.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Rude said:

You’ll be easy to find. Most of us wear business casual all the way up to black tie on the final day of shows. 

Thanks for reminding me to get my tux to the dry cleaners.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillK522 said:

Thanks for reminding me to get my tux to the dry cleaners.

Praise DSO.

My friends used to have a prom at one of the bluegrass festivals up this way every year. All the guys in the group would dress up in suits and tuxedos and there was a collection of prom dresses that was assembled from thrift shops, tag sales, etc. for the ladies. Everyone would dress up and remain like this for the night. It was mainly before my time hanging out with them, but I got to witness one prom, it was pretty fun 😁

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I’ve never really liked dressing up. Not a fan of halloween at all. Feels too stressful. We were with Dr B one weekend and he has the most amazing closet of super cool vintage gear and was trying to give us stuff to wear. Unfortunately I was just a bit larger of a size to wear any of it. Having a 6’5” wingspan being a shot blocking machine, anything less than XL will result in being ripped at the seams like the Hulk. There was a vintage scarf, but I thought I’d be just a bit over the top and my fragile self esteem couldn’t take it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP
20 hours ago, LangeradoSoul said:

Gonna post pics I’ve taken from Jubilee pasts leading up to this years event (assuming I can figure out how to post pics on the forums)

Dark Star Jubilee 9/1/2012, Jeff Mattson & Rumpke Mountain Boys at VIP Tent. 
Jeff Mattson & Rumpke Mountain Boys, 9/1/2012

hurricane jubilee. As many vendors as people. I remember the fest offering all hurricane jubilee vendors half off the 2013 jubilee. One vendor for breakfast said I’ll make as many eggs and bacon as you want included in the standard breakfast since he said the food was going to go bad. Only disco pizza had any customers. Seems strange now since it generally sells out but that place was a ghost town come Sunday night. I now know so many people who were there that year. If I could travel back in time I’d probably know 10%+ of the attendees lol. There were maybe 150 people down by the stage night 3 if that many. I know a lot of people near us packed up and left b/c their tent was flooded. Heard one woman tell her man we are going to a hotel or going home. Not sure what their final decision was. I didn’t wake up early enough Saturday to see the 4 feet of water or whatever it was under the stage. There was a conspiracy theory that an employee or crew of someone blew up a mattress under the main stage to sleep (back then it wasn’t a permanent stage) and that the mattress blocked the drain. That wouldn’t make a lot of sense since the mattress would have floated away the second he got off it to swim for his life, but it evidently the river created by the 5” of rain made the stage unsafe to play on almost cancelling the whole event. Luckily it continued and it was a great time!!! 

• Like (+1) 3

I was on top of the hill, behind the pines, by the fence, and there was a river in my tent. For those downstream, even worse. Thankfully I had a cot that year, off the ground, so it made it more palatable. I did see the water under the stage, it was also a river, an even larger one.

I had a great time. The Mickey Hart in the tent was an interesting solution, so I'm glad he returned in 2013 for a late night show.

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, LangeradoSoul said:

I was on top of the hill, behind the pines, by the fence, and there was a river in my tent. For those downstream, even worse. Thankfully I had a cot that year, off the ground, so it made it more palatable. I did see the water under the stage, it was also a river, an even larger one.

I had a great time. The Mickey Hart in the tent was an interesting solution, so I'm glad he returned in 2013 for a late night show.

did anyone go past the ridge line amd camp in the bowl?  I don’t think anyone put tents there. I was under the trees right across the path and no water came past me. Shade was important being Labor Day. The field would have been really hot that Friday. Plus with no one there peeps camped as close to their cars as possible. 

you’re wife played year 1 and 2 didn’t she? Maybe even year 3 too?

• Forum MVP
10 hours ago, Rude said:

did anyone go past the ridge line amd camp in the bowl?  I don’t think anyone put tents there. I was under the trees right across the path and no water came past me. Shade was important being Labor Day. The field would have been really hot that Friday. Plus with no one there peeps camped as close to their cars as possible. 

I was dumb enough to be in the bowl. Super flooded an moving never even crossed our minds even tho the whole field was totally open and moving to higher ground would have been simple, we just didn’t think of it. Eventually one of our neighbors asked “why didn’t you guys just move” and my cousin and I just looked at other like “we never thought of it” 🤣😆

• Like (+1) 1
  • LMAO 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Rude said:

Some did camp in the bowl, like Dead Duck. I have more photo evidence, but don't want to go to the hassle of uploading. I think turnout played a part in this strategic decision. Dead Duck showed the grit the of the midwestern deadhead by ignoring the elements and rollin' with the punches.

Dino & Lee Owen from lex dead cover band Born Cross Eyed along with a few other lexington folks including my wife started doing a JGB side group playing Lexington around January 2012.

They played the 2013 Jubilee as My Sister's & Brothers, then 2015, 2016, and 2017 Jubilee as Owsley County, as they morphed from JGB side group into doing originals and non jgb material.

They fizzled out as a group, but she still sings with Born Cross Eyed along with Lee and occasionally Dino on the rotating drum slot.

Here's a little sample from Jubilee 2013:

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

We got teased with sun and near 70 degrees during the day before the bottom fell out at night. I was such a rookie I didn’t pop in the car to drive to Walmart to get a sock cap. After that weekend, if the temp is under 60 I’m wearing a sock cap to stay comfy. I had a hoodie which isn’t slightly similar to the protection a cap gives you plus 4 t-shirts and 1 long sleeve tee under it. To recap my total clothing for that jubilee was a hoodie, 1 long sleeve tee and 4 tees and I had all of them on and i couldn’t stay warm at night. After dso played I jumped in the sleeping bag and never left until the next morning. Now I bring thermals. As soon as dso finishes if it’s 55 or under I change into them plus coat and hat so I’m good to go regardless of the weather. Then we got that gorgeous 2014 jubilee. 75/55 highs and lows. My ideal is 72/48 for better night sleeping, but not getting under 55 until midnight. Omg am I that progressive commercial turning into my grandfather.  He’s 95 yes old and will be like it’s going to hit 70 around 11:30 on Saturday with mostly sunny skies, but it’s going to be a bit windy but the wind will die down around 4:00. 

• LMAO 2

• 1 month later...

Just a few short weeks left. Normally at this time of year I'm so desperate and dying for a getaway I'm almost unhinged. This year I changed jobs and took a week vacation prior to the Jubilee and I think it's gonna make this Jubilee even sweeter than before cause I'm feeling super relaxed, which is crazy for me in May. It's also a great sign for the band that VIP & VIP RV are sold out, and I hope GA sells out prior to the event just to make it worth it for the band.

I'm looking forward to seeing John K play with Melvin this year.He's upped that bands game, and they've broadened their songbook with him on board. I've not seen John K since 2010, and I know he'll drop in with DSO, and that will be cool, cause I've not seem him with DSO live since 2000.

Lastly, usually I sneak in and around the DSO shows with a low profile, but I may say hello this year and be slightly more friendly. Times are strange, and its good to give greetings and appreciate these moments before they are gone.

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP
19 hours ago, LangeradoSoul said:

Just a few short weeks left. Normally at this time of year I'm so desperate and dying for a getaway I'm almost unhinged. This year I changed jobs and took a week vacation prior to the Jubilee and I think it's gonna make this Jubilee even sweeter than before cause I'm feeling super relaxed, which is crazy for me in May. It's also a great sign for the band that VIP & VIP RV are sold out, and I hope GA sells out prior to the event just to make it worth it for the band.

I'm looking forward to seeing John K play with Melvin this year.He's upped that bands game, and they've broadened their songbook with him on board. I've not seen John K since 2010, and I know he'll drop in with DSO, and that will be cool, cause I've not seem him with DSO live since 2000.

Lastly, usually I sneak in and around the DSO shows with a low profile, but I may say hello this year and be slightly more friendly. Times are strange, and its good to give greetings and appreciate these moments before they are gone.

you do go stealth mode but did say hi at the cincy show. With all the covid stuff it had been years since I’d seen a few of you and completely forgot what the peeps who I don’t do tour with looked like. 

• Like (+1) 1