Russia and Ukraine

bs69

• Forum MVP

A wise, intelligent man explained to me the other day that Putin, in his heart (if he has one), thinks that Russia should be back the way it was, geographically, before the dissolution of Russia. That’s his motivation. I’m not so sure how you can negotiate with how a man feels in his heart. 
Disclaimer; I just got home from a colonoscopy. I am under the influence of drugs at this time.

• Forum MVP
7 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

A wise, intelligent man explained to me the other day that Putin, in his heart (if he has one), thinks that Russia should be back the way it was, geographically, before the dissolution of Russia. That’s his motivation. I’m not so sure how you can negotiate with how a man feels in his heart. 
Disclaimer; I just got home from a colonoscopy. I am under the influence of drugs at this time.

you mean before the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Ukraine was not part of Russia. It was part of the USSR. Putin wants to bring the economies of former Soviet Union countries under his control. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

If only those Ukrainians would stop invading and attacking Russians, the peace loving Putin wouldn’t need to send peacekeepers into the region. The Russian people are very prosperous because of Putin’s leadership and how he makes sure the wealth goes to the middle class and not to his cronies. It makes him unpopular how he fights for the little guy at the expense of the rich who want to fleece the country of their natural resources. Putin lives very modestly on a salary of around 100k a year so the people can flourish unlike rich politicians like Bernie Sanders who bought a 500k lake house and lives like a king. There are silly rumors that Putin is the worlds richest man but he just laughs off the lies of terrorist opposition party members who murder people constantly. I hope this conflict can end without too many innocent Russians getting killed by Ukrainian aggressors. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Amused To Death by Roger Waters esp The Bravery of Being Out of Range now that all the tv "news" broadcasters are so happy they can report on Russia hitting Ukraine. Yay, ugh. 

Oops, I thought I was in the Now Listening to topic

"It all rolls into one and nothing comes for free. Theres nothing you can hold for very long"

you know the rest

• Forum MVP

I think Putin made a massive miscalculation on the western response as well as the Ukrainian resistance. Russia is pretty much just a big gas station. Russia’s GDP is only around 8x what Kentucky’s is. Their economy is already beginning to tank and they can’t afford any protracted conflict. Even Switzerland abandoned 100 years of neutrality to freeze assets. Putin screwed the pooch and there’s no turning back which is the scary part. It’s obvious that the NATO handheld weaponry we distributed there can take out Soviet era systems they are still using and more is on the way. If Russia didn’t have nukes they would be pretty much irrelevant on the world stage. The people in Russia are going to feel the pain soon and that’s when the police and Putin lose control of the situation. Being kicked out of the World Cup will not be popular with the populace. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

It’s all about energy.

We are buying oil from Russia (Let’s go Brandon).

China  buying oil from Russia and can fund them especially at these and increasing price.

Germany gets majority of energy from Russia.

We could supply them but will displease John Kerry hence Depts of energy, interior, etc… will not even consider permitting for LNG.

Seems to me only Russia internally can stop Putin.

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

And we export much of our oil to others instead of keeping it all home. Everyone buys from everyone in case a supply dries up. American private companies stop producing at many sites under $80pb. Many will start pumping as the price goes up. During the pandemic when the price fell, many stopped pumping. Saudi Arabia has a break even price at around $15 a barrel which is lowest in the world. In the US it can be anywhere from $50-120pb as a break even depending on how it’s removed from the ground. We are the worlds largest oil supplier. I don’t like that Biden isn’t encouraging more production, but we are producing as much as any time in history so it’s not like the misinformation that Biden is stopping companies from pumping. Florida has banned all offshore drilling near them so it’s not like Biden is stopping pumping in the Gulf. I think he’s been slow to respond to many issues and is a pretty weak guy but the energy issue isn’t caused by him. Any country who only gets their energy from 1 source can be held hostage. It’s why everyone buys from everyone to protect national security. But I do agree we need to stop buying from Russia after we have the replacement for those 500k barrels a day, but note it’s oil companies buying it not the president. 

• Forum MVP

Keystone provides the difference….oops

Having the opportunity to be energy independent…emphasize independent, and doing everything you can to squander that is just dumb.

Oil and Gas has allowed the sun to shine in my back door for 40 years+

so I may be biased but not misinformed.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Keystone is Canadian oil so it’s not technically being independent and it was years away from transporting Canadian oil. We are energy independent currently if we nationalized all oil or banned oil exports. But we export lots of oil and import lots of oil. We do need to cut off Russian imports for sure though.

I thought your fearless leader wanted us to be best friends with Russia and leave NATO. Why would we stop buying Russian oil from the great guy Putin who admires trump so much. I guess his trump Moscow hotel is dead forever now so he may change his tune even though he was praising Putin as genius the other day.  There will be a fierce primary fight as whoever gets the GOP nomination will have a cake walk into office. You know Zelensky hates Trump after Trump tried to blackmail him to get that military aid money which caused impeachment 1, but he can’t criticize Trump or risk Trumps wrath. Biden is incompetent. Trump is corrupt. I don’t want to see either in 3 years. Both made the mistake of coddling the fringes of the party when those would never vote the other way anyway when both should have been going to the middle. Biden miscalculated badly that he could keep moderates and liberals on board. Trump did it for cheers to feed his ego and tried to force the party too far right and lost the independents. 

• Like (+1) 1