2023 Skull & Roses Festival

Tea

• Forum MVP
37 minutes ago, Rude said:

https://m.facebook.com/SkullandRoses4

you can go and watch last night with barraco Eaton skip Melvin wolf lane and jk. Good show so far. Little man is wresting me b/c I want music with my coffee. He wants trains so he’s attacking me climbing on me. 

FYI you don’t need a FB to watch the stream. 

You could tell they didn't have a ton of time to practice but settled in pretty quickly.  Not sure of JK had some nerves to start as he had some lyrical trouble, but they started really gelling a third of the way through the 1st set.  The first set was all I saw since it got to be past my bedtime - I am a a delicate flower after all. 

Great assortment of talent and you could tell they were having a good time up there 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

I didn’t make it to start time lol. Was in bed at 9pm. I need sleep to be on my feet starting at 7a with wild man. He no longer lets me sit down. I must stay active with him or he climbs me like a tree. Knees to the nose is my punishment for sitting. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
13 hours ago, Tea said:

Smokin so far!  Great assortment of talent

Gomorrah ❤️

Here's a likely error prone setlist :rofl: (1st set especially)

How Sweet it Is, Me & My Uncle > Big River, Ramble On Rose, Cassidy, Song of Gomorrah, Tom Thumbs Blues, Let It Grow > US Blues

Feel Like a Stranger, Next Time You See Me, Scarlet Begonias > Playin in the Band > Dark Star > Drums > Jam > Dark Star > Truckin > Morning Dew > Midnight Hour, Shakedown Street  E: Brokedown Palace

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

The lead guitarist of the Garcia birthday band plays with the speed of like Joe satriani but playing dead. Holy shit the let it grow is nuts. Expecting maybe 2-3 notes in a noodle he throws like 6 all perfectly played. It’s not as bluesy playing that speed but it’s was pretty fucking badass. 

edit: I’m officially in love with their lead guitarist. Holy crap he’s fucking amazing. That mighty high was also sick 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

So JK is playing with the Latin Dead. Didn’t know he identified as LatinX. Good to have a bit of diversity in the scene. It’s veryyy pale. It’s so pale I almost feel racist for going up to the one black chick I see at a bunch of shows and giving a hug and saying hi. I wouldn’t do that to a random white girl. Is that racist or just being hyper aware how white the scene is and wanting to welcome others. Playing basketball in high school I was the only white person at a few parties but we were a sports team so. Ramble ramble. 420 started way early along with whiskey 30. 

• Forum MVP

1st you had JK in Latin Dead.  Now barraco and skip in Mars hotel. This fest is half dso players. It’s jubilee with perfectly sunny weather and all dead bands. On that note, I want MORE DEAD at jubilee. How about a local Dead act mid day. Invite Hyryder. They would sell 300 tickets by themselves. I’d like jubilee to be more like this. Who needs variety of music styles. I just want variety of Dead. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Smokin 1st set.  Monitor issues for the band but sounded just fine to me! 1976 or elective:

Might As Well, Mama Tried, Row Jimmy, All Over Now, Loser, Minglewood Blues, Bertha, Lazy Lightnin > Supplication, Sugaree > The Promised Land

Bertha throwin me off

I know this is a DSO fan site and I aint tryin to upset the sandbox - BUT - Hyryder’s set knocked it out the park ️  They’ve paid their dues and deserve some professional success.  Hats off to them boys !!!!

EDIT: somebody tipped the show - prolly right. Won’t post till it’s over

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Ain’t no real debate but if Hyryder comes back next year, I hope they get a better slot.  Prolly listened to 6 hrs straight!  Ain’t no way it scratches the surface of bein there but it was great fun for me !  Thankful for the free stream ❤️

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

Was still rolling after the 🔥DSO show…love me some 76….other one-comes a time-Franklins-Sugar Mag….wowzer!! Helluva He’s Gone and the Eyes-Music 2nd set opener kicked ass. Liftoff achieved during Sugaree in first set…

was still rolling after the live stream so I circled back to check out Hyryder and see what you guys have been talking about last couple years…hell yes,,smokin rippers for sure…fun high energy tight band I look forward to catching live some time.

kind of parallels Grateful Shred in my mind…who’ve also been gathering steam and starting to get out and tour a bit and on my radar.

yes,,digging the free stream…very cool of the promoters to choose that path and provide the music for everyone…

Anyone know how many attendees? I went last year and looks similar this year from the stream but can’t remember how many there were….

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
On 4/22/2023 at 6:06 AM, Tom Banjo said:

Hyryder delivered. I think I may return to Grateful fest but once again DSO clearly leagues better than the rest.

DSO just puts it all together so well. They are so balanced. No need to compensate anywhere. One massive boost is cotter on sound. Last night listening to Phil and friends, the levels were wrong. We couldn’t even heay the piano and the high hats were almost muffled. Gotta have the clean high hat sound like dso has to make the sound rich. I felt bad for Chris in no simple highway. His vocal mic was completely off during him singing revolution to open their show. There were a lot of sound problems that you don’t get at jubilee. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Never miss a Sunday Shoe!  Phil’s lineup was the best since the Q!

stream got cut - with curfew, there shoulda been a few more - but they Smoked IT 🔥

Jessica, Mason's Children, St Stephen, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, China Cat Sunflower > Shakedown Street > New Speedway Boogie > Viola Lee Blues, Blue Sky.                                                    
Encore Set:  Golden Road, Brokedown Palace > I Know You Rider, Sugar Magnolia

Please listen to this Brokedown Palace - It’ll change your life ❤️  7:36 on this vid.  Tears in my eyes

https://fb.watch/k5FZgM8FQM/?mibextid=tejx2t

dont need Facebook

• Like (+1) 3
On 4/20/2023 at 5:01 PM, Rude said:

1st you had JK in Latin Dead.  Now barraco and skip in Mars hotel. This fest is half dso players. It’s jubilee with perfectly sunny weather and all dead bands. On that note, I want MORE DEAD at jubilee. How about a local Dead act mid day. Invite Hyryder. They would sell 300 tickets by themselves. I’d like jubilee to be more like this. Who needs variety of music styles. I just want variety of Dead. 

This 100%.  I've done a couple jubilee's dating back to the 1st and have love every one of them.  These was totally Jubilee West.  But even a little better for me given the constant barrage of G.Dead music.  If S&R can keep this up, I'll be hard pressed to make my journey east from SoCal for Jubilee.  This scratched that itch and then some.  

• Forum MVP

Just so you can hear the sound difference with Cotter running DSO’s board and how all 6 instruments are so crystal clear,

Here is DSO

https://www.facebook.com/SkullandRoses4/videos/1229897600968662/?app=fbl

Here is Phil and friends the next night. 

https://www.facebook.com/SkullandRoses4/videos/3522641931358786/?app=fbl

Cotter should be paid to run the whole festivals sound. Toss him 10k and say get to work!!!! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Rewatching Hyryder's set and for some irritating reason they show the drummer during Charlie's leads. Actually they show everyone else more than him and ET might as well have not been there. There is zero footage of him. WTF, not a del a production, this is not a video from the vault director quality. Overly produced, way too many camera changes annoying and disturbing like most production live music video

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Tea did you see that on Hyryders 1st show post skull n roses that bill Walton wrote their 1st set setlist and it was pretty weird. 

here it is. 

Hyryder @ Mousetrap 5/5/23 Indianapolis, IN  Night 1 

Set 1 
         Don’t Ease Me In, Bright Side of the Road, Greatest Story Ever Told, All Along the Watchtower> I Need a Miracle> Positively 4th Street, Scarlet Begonias> Touch of Grey, St. Stephen> The Eleven> Standing on the Moon 

Set 2 
         Help on the Way> Slipknot!> Bertha> Queen Jane Approximately, Crazy Fingers> Franklin’s Tower> Throwing Stones, Evangeline, Hell in a Bucket, Twilight>Fire on the Mountain> Saint of Circumstance

• Like (+1) 1