Incredible longevity

Ammagamalin Crew

• Forum MVP

8/22/72-2/20/95

21 1/2 year span

Tells you how important it was to Jerry and Bobby and the band. 

They were at every one!

Both songs evolving from the GSET second leg 72 jam out to the growling Bertha in 89.

Can we get a dissertation from someone who has every version in their collection?

• Forum MVP
11 hours ago, BillK522 said:

That is JohnA's wheelhouse.

Praise DSO.

Amen to that.  

I was racking my brain to see if there was a show-opening 2-song combination that had a longer running tenure than Bertha > Greatest Story.  I'm thinking next longest would be Help > Slip which would might be 75-95 despite the 85-89 hiatus.  Deadbase anyone ?

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Tea said:

Amen to that.  

I was racking my brain to see if there was a show-opening 2-song combination that had a longer running tenure than Bertha > Greatest Story.  I'm thinking next longest would be Help > Slip which would might be 75-95 despite the 85-89 hiatus.  Deadbase anyone ?

How about Promised land>Sugaree?

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Not much of a hiatus, but a notable 76, 77 and 78, coming back solidly in 79 with it's new pairing Alabama Getaway > GSET (think Riverbend 85 as a rendition), then Pittsburgh 89 tripping with GSET>Bertha

Weird evolution of both songs as they changed radically. Lots to consider, esp the actual words of each song bleeding together for one message, one song.

Both uniquely Grateful Dead and indicative of Jerry and Bobby alternating songs at a show.

• Forum MVP
On 1/31/2023 at 6:58 PM, BillK522 said:

That is JohnA's wheelhouse.

Praise DSO.

You rang? 😀

Bertha > Greatest Story was played 63 times, whether opening the show (obviously more typical), closing the first set, opening the second set (rare but not vanishingly so) or in the early 70s sometimes showing up in that order later in the 2nd set.

Perhaps more surprisingly, Greatest Story > Bertha occurred 11 times - and this also spanning from '72 through '95!

• Like (+1) 5

• Forum MVP
On 2/1/2023 at 6:03 AM, Tea said:

Amen to that.  

Don't forget the 6-9-77 through Spring '83 Help > Slip hiatus. 

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP
On 2/7/2023 at 9:29 PM, Tea said:

So Bertha > Greatest is the longest runner for show opener combo?  Gotta imagine it took off a couple years here and there..

Not so much "here and there", but this is correct.  The combo itself was on hiatus from 10-18-74 through 6-7-80, and the show opening combo was on hiatus from 9-19-72 through 12-14-80. In fact, it was only an opening combo 3 times prior to 1980.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Because the Grateful Dead is all about serendipity and coincidence, of course in my car yesterday when I tuned into the Sirius channel they were playing Greatest Story -> Bertha from Portland 6-24-73.  Pretty damn sweet transition into Bertha to boot. 😀

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1