2023-02-09 @ Belly Up, Aspen, CO

Tea

• Forum MVP

Elective

Set 1: The Weight > Iko Iko ; Black Throated Wind ; Let Me Sing Your Blues Away ; Friend Of The Devil ; Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues ; Brown Eyed Women ; It's All Over Now ; Gomorrah ; On The Road Again ; The Valley Road

Set 2: Cats Under The Stars ; Man Smart (Woman Smarter) > Bird Song > New Speedway Boogie > Man Smart (Woman Smarter) > drums > Uncle John's Band > Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) > Death Don't Have No Mercy > One More Saturday Night

Encore: Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 ; Quinn the Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)

Show Notes
One drummer anything goes. Dino on drums, Rob Koritz on drums for Encore

Nice Women R Smarter Sandie!  Not sure I've ever seen that one sliced up before... 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Forum MVP
8 hours ago, Tom Banjo said:

I think this was my first time hearing valley road. Maybe a Hornsby sit in coming at jubilee?

Genius level call there.

Never got a DSO Valley Road, 

my two were both Dead variety.

Songs I heard the Dead perform,

that I have not got from DSO, hmmm.

Valley Road, Fever, Samba....

Thread drift.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
15 hours ago, Tom Banjo said:

I think this was my first time hearing valley road. Maybe a Hornsby sit in coming at jubilee?

weren’t you at that Cleveland house of blues in like 2017. I think I did that whole tour with mei and think you were on the road as well. 

• Forum MVP
7 hours ago, BillK522 said:

Songs I heard the Dead perform,

that I have not got from DSO, hmmm.

Valley Road, Fever, Samba....

I was also at that Landover show with the lone GD Fever.  That seems like something Eaton would want to bust out in an elective.  Maybe they've recreated that show?

Don't think anybody is gonna get a Samba at a DSO show.  😆

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Back to Valley Road, The Dead seemed gung-ho about it, at least briefly. Of the 6 versions, the last 4 were all in Dec. '90 and all 6 were 1st set closers. And just like that, it was gone. 🤭

The other Hornsby song they did, Stander on the Mountain, also saw all 3 of its appearances toward the end of '90 and again all as 1st set closers.

I wonder what made them shelve the "Bruce slot" come the turn of the year.  Likely Bruce himself I suppose.  Hey, one could ask him...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
On 2/10/2023 at 4:17 PM, Tea said:

Elective

Set 1: The Weight > Iko Iko ; Black Throated Wind ; Let Me Sing Your Blues Away ; Friend Of The Devil ; Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues ; Brown Eyed Women ; It's All Over Now ; Gomorrah ; On The Road Again ; The Valley Road

Set 2: Cats Under The Stars ; Man Smart (Woman Smarter) > Bird Song > New Speedway Boogie > Man Smart (Woman Smarter) > drums > Uncle John's Band > Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) > Death Don't Have No Mercy > One More Saturday Night

Encore: Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 ; Quinn the Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)

Show Notes
One drummer anything goes. Dino on drums, Rob Koritz on drums for Encore

Nice Women R Smarter Sandie!  Not sure I've ever seen that one sliced up before... 

There was a 2-man acoustic band in NJ; Only Footprints, that did Man Smart > Bird Song> Man Sart quite Freakuently.  Them two numbers go together like socks and sneaks!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
On 2/12/2023 at 1:22 PM, John A said:

I wonder what made them shelve the "Bruce slot" come the turn of the year.  Likely Bruce himself I suppose.  Hey, one could ask him...

it’s just the way it is. Some things will never change. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • LMAO 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
On 2/12/2023 at 2:11 PM, John A said:

Don't think anybody is gonna get a Samba at a DSO show.  😆

Always hated that song - decent jam vehicle but the lyrics and Vince’s vocal stylings made me facepalm every time it popped up.

I’ll bet DSO could make some hay with that tune.  1st set, please.

Hyryder does a pretty smokin rendition. They made it slap!

As is the case with others in the band......Hunter had lost his fastball or clearly mailed it in when he came up with Samba in the Rain lyrics.  These lyrics are cliche, elementary, and an appeal to the least common denominator.  Velnick was clearly not a good choice to replace Brent.  His songs were horrible and his vice was awful. 

Luckily, history has not judged the Grateful Dead on their efforts such as Samba In the Rain, Long Way to Go Home, Eternity, Easy Answers, and Wave to the Wind.  New songs in the mid 90's were tough to endure. 

Interestingly......as the story goes, Jerry was the member who was most disinterested in the mid 90's.  Yet, in my opinion, he seemed to be the only one introducing music with some level of integrity and awareness of the standards that had been established over previous decades.   So Many Roads is a classic.  I think Days Between holds up as a solid Jerry ballad.  Given more time, I think Lazy River Road would have developed into a great first set song.  While I never preferred Liberty, it certainly sounds and feels like Grateful Dead music, which is a lot more than can be said of Eternity and Easy Answers!

Ten and ten is thirty, if you tell me it is so
Let's get down and dirty, baby. Let's get sweet and low
Any way you call the shot, That's how it's gonna be
You can serve it cold or hot, It's all okay by me
Tie me with a ribbon bow, Wrap me in cellophane
Send me out to steal the show or Samba in the Rain
Samba in the rain oh baby, Samba in the rain
Let's get down and dirty, Don't bother to explain
Don't care if they call a cop and say we are insane
We'll keep goin' til we drop. Samba in the rain

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
13 hours ago, John A said:

I consider Days Between as much more than "holding up as a Jerry ballad."  It's A-list, and I know that high praise, but it's simply brilliant.

It not quite Stella or Terrapin but it’s close.  Masterpiece writing