Atlanta 3/1/08

• Forum MVP

Original set list at Varity Playhouse in Atlanta was full of songs I've never heard DSO do before. It was seemed like a night just to pull out some rare songs and different arrangements. "Jack Straw" opened the show but a few songs after that the show drifted away from the standards. It was a wonderful show to hear something a bit different from The Best Band in the Land.

"Sitting on Top of the World" was done as a sort of county song....totally different from the blues version

"Visions of Johanna" with Kevin taking the lead.

A Drumz that was more jazzy than usual, Rob was throwing in lots of nice percussion sounds

A special guest for a couple songs, Isaac Doubletree (I think that's his name) was on B3 for some blues

How about someone else giving us the set list.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jack Straw

Dire Wolf

King Bee*

That's What Love will Make You Do*

Stuck Inside of of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again

Sittin on top of the World

Easy Wind

On the Road Again

Lazy River Road

Passenger

Liberty

II: Viola Lee Blues

Midnight Hour

Visions of Johanna

Corrina >

Drums >

Space>

Days Between>

Watchtower>

Midnight Moonlight

E: Tom Thumb Blues

Revolution

*with Ike Stubblefield joining RB on keys

whole show featured interpolating Lisa Mackey contributions

If I remember correctly the first two songs met the criteria for being 3-24-87, which would have been three nights in a row recreated. But once Ike Stubblefield came out on the organ, things turned in a different direction.

Different, but fun. JK appears to have hit a level of comfort after spending the last few nights continuously adjusting the newest addition to his equipment rack. He hardly touched his new device last night (I think he had the device serviced or altered upon arriving in ATL), and appeared to be enjoying exploring the sound he is getting out of set-up.

Sold out show last night. Good times.

• Forum MVP
If I remember correctly the first two songs met the criteria for being 3-24-87, which would have been three nights in a row recreated.

That Jack Straw opener was a prank alright. 3/24 did indeed open with Jack Straw, but then goes on to Candyman rather than to Dire Wolf. Dire Wolf hit the spot just right.

Overall, it was a pretty weird setlist, almost like secret gems for the attentive and befuddling curve balls for newbies.

King Bee and TWLWMYD cooked with Ike Stubblefield, and then the Rob nailed Memphis Blues (foreshadowing mucho Dylan!), kicking it into overdrive, which John and Baracco kept locked in with the "oldies twofer" of SOTOTW and Easy Wind. Where to next? I was convinced that this was a sign of an impending Alligator. Boy was I ever wrong!

A nice zippy On the Road Again gave way to a decade-leaping Lazy River, Passenger, Liberty set-closer. Lazy River was well-received and beautiful, locking in a real Jerry ballad trend for the night as well. The Passenger was concise and hot while Liberty stretched out into some spaciness before abruptly peaking to end the set.

Set 2 was an enigma. The oldies/90s mashup that had been the first set should have provided a clue. The rollicking Viola opener kept my "Alligator" hopes alive, and then Eaton threw another curve ball with Midnight Hour. Still feelin that 60s vibe I swore I could smell the Alligator coming, but no dice. Instead JK downshifts to "introspective" with Visions, only to be run down by a monstrous Corrina, and off we go into synth-a-mani-drumz with me crossing all my digits for Alligator after the space.

but wait, does that sound like Dark Star? anybody else hear Dark Star trying to emerge from the space? I was so sure of it right up to the telltale Days Between riff. JK insists on keeping the vibe restrained with ballads. So be it. The guitar outtro was just magical. Nice job John!

BEST WATCHTOWER EVER!!!

....and then the biggest curve ball of the night, the Midnight Moonlight closer! Never saw that coming. Alligator Schmalligator. Looks like that'll have to be another day.

......and speaking of curve balls, Tom Thumb encore? Dylan-licious man. Never saw that comin either.

Revolution indeed.

Thanks and see you again soon I hope.

:D

Guest augustwest

I've seen DSO many times in Atlanta and couple of times in other cities where I happened to be and I've always had a rockin good time. Last night, however, I was supremely disappointed. While they played well, what a sucky, indulgent setlist! It might have been good if this had been one of a two or three night run. But they usually only come through here a couple of times a year, and when they do I look forward to classic deadset. Not this time.

As usually I was up near the front and, at one point, I turned around and the entire audience behind was sitting down motionless. I've never seen that at a DSO concert.

Why would they do that to their Atlanta fans?

Two really good points, though: Voila Lee Blues and an especially good Drumz.

• Forum MVP
King Bee and TWLWMYD cooked with Ike Stubblefield, and then the Rob nailed Memphis Blues (foreshadowing mucho Dylan!), kicking it into overdrive, which John and Baracco kept locked in with the "oldies twofer" of SOTOTW and Easy Wind. Where to next? I was convinced that this was a sign of an impending Alligator. Boy was I ever wrong!

Set 2 was an enigma. The oldies/90s mashup that had been the first set should have provided a clue. The rollicking Viola opener kept my "Alligator" hopes alive, and then Eaton threw another curve ball with Midnight Hour. Still feelin that 60s vibe I swore I could smell the Alligator coming, but no dice. Instead JK downshifts to "introspective" with Visions, only to be run down by a monstrous Corrina, and off we go into synth-a-mani-drumz with me crossing all my digits for Alligator after the space.

....and then the biggest curve ball of the night, the Midnight Moonlight closer! Never saw that coming. Alligator Schmalligator. Looks like that'll have to be another day.

Sounds like Alligator has become your new Louie Louie...To me at least, you are moving up in the world...:)

• Forum MVP
I've seen DSO many times in Atlanta and couple of times in other cities where I happened to be and I've always had a rockin good time. Last night, however, I was supremely disappointed. While they played well, what a sucky, indulgent setlist! It might have been good if this had been one of a two or three night run. But they usually only come through here a couple of times a year, and when they do I look forward to classic deadset. Not this time.

As usually I was up near the front and, at one point, I turned around and the entire audience behind was sitting down motionless. I've never seen that at a DSO concert.

Why would they do that to their Atlanta fans?

Two really good points, though: Voila Lee Blues and an especially good Drumz.

the nerve...How could you do that to the city of Atlanta and their fans???

the nerve...How could you do that to the city of Atlanta and their fans???

I'm absolutely appaulled.........I mean....speechless.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon August......climb off the horse and enjoy life brother!!!!

• Forum MVP

Some of you people really have to lighten up and let other people express viewpoints..

what is wrong with someone saying what they feel in a organized respectful manner...

where you at the show ? ... did you look at it from his perspective ?

I for one applaud augustwest and the other people that express there viewpoints on this forum instead of being one of the people who "drink the water because it is there"

• Forum MVP

augustwest is not alone. Around me, many folks were wondering aloud whether DSO was trying to drive fans away. As always, one gathers what another spills. Like I said, treats for repeats and baffling curves for droppers-in.

Hey DStone, Louie is still my Louie. I was just expecting ATL to get Alligatored but in retrospect I was barking at the moon, what with Langerado right around the corner in the heart of the everglades. Anyway I'm still hunting the evasive Louie.

Guest Rob Eaton

No matter what we do we seem to always come up short these days. It's funny, we put so much heart and soul into whatever songs we are doing but it's not getting through to the audience. Maybe we're so familiar with the material that no song seems obscure anymore. Maybe we're to close to the music and need to step away too really see. I can't wait to be a ski instructor again....... The mountains are healing every single day...... I miss home more then ever!!! :(

• Forum MVP
No matter what we do we seem to always come up short these days. It's funny, we put so much heart and soul into whatever songs we are doing but it's not getting through to the audience.

I would, respectfully, have to disagree, Rob. The way I see it, you guys are getting to the point where expectations are so high that it is inevitable that some will be disappointed. And when you get to THAT point, you know you are doing something right. Just think about the comments that flew around The Dead from at least the mid-80s on. To some, they "never came through like they did back in the day" and to others it was "the greatest thing ever". If everyone loves you, you're doing something wrong. If everyone hates you, you're doing something wrong. When some leave thinking that it was a waste of money and others leave thinking that was the greatest 3 1/2 hours of their lives, you know you are on the right track. As a musician, would it really make you happy if there were never people who didn't like what you did on a particular night? If you are making EVERYONE happy, that leaves space for you to become complacent and take the audience for granted. Just like if you guys came out and played a "decent" show every night: eventually the attitude would become "sure, let's go see DSO. At least we'll hear a couple of hours of Dead." But now, you guys are killing it and people are planning trips and vacations around being able to catch your shows.

I agree with Teacher Matt, I love the fact that all opinions are welcome here. I mean seriously, I bet that anyone who left disappointed was disappointed because the last time they saw you, you floored them and this time they just weren't floored. But they will be coming back next time because they know that the magic is out there. its like golf: you can go out and play absolutely horrible. But you hit two really nice shots at the end and you can't wait to get back out there. And it at least appears that for augustwest, those two great shots were the Viola and the Drums. He'll be back. We'll ALL be back. Shit, if I can just win the Lotto, my whole family is going on tour!! :D

• Forum MVP
No matter what we do we seem to always come up short these days.

You can't possibly please all the people all of the time Rob.I for one am very thankful for what you guys and girl do.....day after day.I'm sure the traveling on the bus gets old, and eating on the run all the time sucks but,in the many times that I have seen you guys, never once have I seen you mail it in.Don't lose your spirit Rob.Keep on truckin' brother.....We love you!

i will ALWAYS keep coming back. i enjoy writing up reviews of shows i see because it makes me feel like im part of it. if i was ever too hard on a show or too critical of song selection, i never meant it as an attack on rob or any of the other members of the band. while a review on this message board might be a way of venting temporary frustration, it only motivates me to see more shows and travel furthur than i may have previously planned.

another interesting thing i have noticed is that there are songs i have heard dso play recently where i recall not thinking much of them during the show based on wanting to hear other tracks more. then i find myself listening to these same songs on my own days after the show. brother esau is a recent example of this as i have not been able to get the tune out of my head.

i cant even begin to express the appreciation and admiration i have for what the band is doing. you guys are touring machines. true professionals in every way. if my reviews have given the wrong impression, im ready to not write another one if it assures me the chance of seeing this band more in the future days, months, and years. i will always keep coming back

rob for senate

Guest Charles from Oregon

setlist looks awesome to me, can't wait for Colorado shows, bought my Portland tickets last week, You guys rock!!! Man I'm getting excited!! Love what you guys and girl are doing night in and night out. Thanks again!

To be honest, there is a certain percentage of fans that are simply tied in to a certain era or simply connected to recreated shows. So there will some small percentage of folks that might be dissapointed. The only slight point I would make..and there is no remedy is that newbies most of the time have been marketed with the concept of recreation. An argument can be made that an Original IS a recreation in a sense so it might be largely moot point. But I think when you have 90 percent of people engaged on most nights that's pretty impressive.

While I am biased towards the 70's and much prefer Recreated Shows..I try to keep an open mind. When I arrived at the Pagaent a few weeks ago and saw the stage set up....I was dissapointed...but knew it was like Ice Cream...all good...I ended up really focusing on the show as this was a year (1989) where I was completely removed from the Grateful Dead...You learn something each night..with DSO from a history standpoint, particularly with respect to sound and instrumentation.....

No matter what we do we seem to always come up short these days. It's funny, we put so much heart and soul into whatever songs we are doing but it's not getting through to the audience. Maybe we're so familiar with the material that no song seems obscure anymore. Maybe we're to close to the music and need to step away too really see...

I disagree completely about coming up short in ATL. (Or "these days") I don't think that is the common perception.

You can't please all the people all the time. I think the majority of your fanbase recognizes that your processes are yours, and most of us our happy to stand way back apart and allow you to do things your way.

Think about it: How tragic would it be if Brother Essau or whatever song was actually removed from the rotation because of someone's rants? That makes me feel icky just to think about.

Would we have chosen that setlist in ATL? Me personally, I would not have come up with it on my own. Did we have a good time? Yes. Was the concert good? Yes, very enjoyable. Will we see this band again? Whenever possible.

Carry on. We can see the heart and soul being put into the work; it shows.

Guest Rob Eaton

There are so many facets to life... I'm finding myself questioning everything. What am I doing with my life and what do I want and need to do with my life. I'm missing so many of the little things life has to offer being on the road. I miss my family and friends. They put up with me being away almost 3/4 of the year. I miss having a "normal" life. We've been doing this a long time..... and it seems to be changing, I can feel it. The thing is I don't know if it's for the better. When I first joined this band it was because I believed in this music and the scene. I decided to sacrifice many of the things in life I love to do just that. How it got this out of control I have no idea.... I am at a crossroads. I want to see my daughter grow up. I want to be there for all her discoveries and beginnings. I'm missing all that now and my spirit is taking a beating. I spent most of the night thinking about all this and realized one of the things that has kept me going was knowing that we are making people happy.... Recently I see that this is not the case. I'm glad these reviews are honest because it helps ground me and remind me of the really important things in life... The little ones, friends and family..... I miss being normal and want very much to be!

with sincerity

Rob Eaton

Archived