Obama's First Year

bs69

• Forum MVP

Ease up my friend... it is all in good fun (at least I thought it was)

and in terms of my spelling... I think it is grate ! .. get it .. grate !! ...

I think I hear San Fran calling me....I got a "Obama Sucks" shirt I need to wear ...

do I need to post my disclaimer - ok I will.. I am trying to be light hearted...

But if you like Obama then darn it good for you... BUT PLEASE TELL ME WHY HE IS SO GOOD INSTEAD OF BUSH STATS !!! ... back it up man... back your stuff up

I see why you avoid San Francisco...thanks for that...and let's hope your chalkboard has a built in spell checker...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Matt - how's the teacher development day going?

I did wear a Bush/Cheney '04 tee-shirt last time I was in SF. (Don't ask; it is a short boring story.) It got a few looks in the Fillmore but most people were probably focused on other things, if they could focus at all. I know I was having cognitive difficulties, if not cognitive dissonance... :wacko:

Jon - really looking forward to April, brother!

Ease up my friend... it is all in good fun (at least I thought it was)

and in terms of my spelling... I think it is grate ! .. get it .. grate !! ...

I think I hear San Fran calling me....I got a "Obama Sucks" shirt I need to wear ...

do I need to post my disclaimer - ok I will.. I am trying to be light hearted...

But if you like Obama then darn it good for you... BUT PLEASE TELL ME WHY HE IS SO GOOD INSTEAD OF BUSH STATS !!! ... back it up man... back your stuff up

No worries Matt...I am no fan of Obama at the moment....major disappointment for a liberal like me...I may be wearing one of those shirts in time if he continues down the corporate path he's chosen!

• Forum MVP

Cool... I will say this... when we do met I am 100% we will get along... it is all good and maybe San Fran in April...

just because I do vote to the right makes me no more or less than those that support the left...

and I am totally unbiased when it comes to explaining the political process to my students.. and that is 100% true...I love and take teaching very serious...

No worries Matt...I am no fan of Obama at the moment....major disappointment for a liberal like me...I may be wearing one of those shirts in time if he continues down the corporate path he's chosen!

Hmm...

I usually go to another board when I'm in the mood for a little political mayhem. Well, I voted to remove the separate political forum, so I got no one to blame buy myself.

Yes, Obama has been a disappointment so far. His big mistake has been this nonsense about trying to be bipartisan. He should have done what that alcoholic sociopath Bush did, and just ram through what he wants and ignore the other party. If little things like the Constitution gets in the way...just ignore it. Hey that garbage was written over 200 years ago--who cares anymore? Don't like something in a bill? Just issue a "signing statement" and say you will ignore that part. Of course, Cheney was really running the country. Bush spent much of his Presidency just hanging out on his fake ranch, riding around on his bike, and reading his bible while the country went spinning down the toilet.

The fact is, Obama was left with the biggest shit sandwich in American history. It will take way more time than his potential two terms to dig us out of this mess. However, as much as I'm disappointed with Obama's lack of backbone to stand up to the Jesus Party, err.. I mean the GOP, at least we don't have that crazy old fool McCain and his idiot sidekick Palin in charge. Can you imagine who terrible it could get if McCain died and we were stuck with a moron who thought Africa is a country running things?

• Forum MVP

Don't know who inherited the "biggest shit sandwich in American history." But I think Lincoln was served a steaming helping in 1860. For a vartiety (and controversial) number of reasons, things were set up for quite a dustup starting the next year...

Guest deadheadmike
Hmm...

I usually go to another board when I'm in the mood for a little political mayhem. Well, I voted to remove the separate political forum, so I got no one to blame buy myself.

I'm never really in the mood to talk politics , I do all my talking in the voting booth .... I for some reason thought the vote was to remove politics from the whole forum , silly me ... be very careful what you ask for , or in this case , be very careful what or who you vote for , the outcome may not be pleasing ... ;)

Don't know who inherited the "biggest shit sandwich in American history." But I think Lincoln was served a steaming helping in 1860. For a vartiety (and controversial) number of reasons, things were set up for quite a dustup starting the next year...

Good point! It's always risky to use terms like "biggest" or "greatest". Nevertheless, Obama was dealt a pretty miserable hand. As much I have been disappointed with his lack of "audacity" and "change", I feel that McCain would have been a disaster. Thankfully, when faced with his most important decision as a party's candidate for President of the United States, he failed miserably and the rest is history.

• Forum MVP
Good point! It's always risky to use terms like "biggest" or "greatest". Nevertheless, Obama was dealt a pretty miserable hand. As much I have been disappointed with his lack of "audacity" and "change", I feel that McCain would have been a disaster. Thankfully, when faced with his most important decision as a party's candidate for President of the United States, he failed miserably and the rest is history.

D'Accord!

• Forum MVP
However, as much as I'm disappointed with Obama's lack of backbone to stand up to the Jesus Party, err.. I mean the GOP, at least we don't have that crazy old fool McCain and his idiot sidekick Palin in charge. Can you imagine who terrible it could get if McCain died and we were stuck with a moron who thought Africa is a country running things?

A classic you've probably seen (and a personal fav), but makes you feel better about the result we got.

• Forum MVP

If Bush truly led us to the bottom, there would be nowhere to go but up. Obama would have to look great in comparison. Unfortunately he looks like the same old thing. This country desparately needs a real independent thinking leader pronto. I think things were pretty bad when FDR took over also and you couldn't even legally get drunk to forget about it.

It seems like all of the US's problems went from Clinton to Obama. I did vote for Obama but I am not affiliated to either party. Obama could be doing some things better but after eight years of (corruptness) W's regime means a lot of mopping up.

• Forum MVP

QUITE BLAMING BUSH !!! .... come on get real.. give me some real reason why Obama is good... what has he done ??

you people that voted for Obama only have one card to play... blame Bush card... GET OVER IT>> Obama is not living up to what YOU PEOPLE MADE IT TO BE>>> so blame somebody else...

It seems like all of the US's problems went from Clinton to Obama. I did vote for Obama but I am not affiliated to either party. Obama could be doing some things better but after eight years of (corruptness) W's regime means a lot of mopping up.

• Forum MVP
QUITE BLAMING BUSH !!! .... come on get real.. give me some real reason why Obama is good... what has he done ??

you people that voted for Obama only have one card to play... blame Bush card... GET OVER IT>> Obama is not living up to what YOU PEOPLE MADE IT TO BE>>> so blame somebody else...

I'm quite sure that if we quit blaming Bush, we'll have to find another diversion from Obama. I also don't think he has quite lived up to promises, but I don't think he's going to quit trying to make good on the big issues like ending the war and health care reform. I'm not quite sure he's heading in the right direction with either issue at this point, but if he quits on them, I'll quit on him. :rolleyes:B):D

• Forum MVP

Fuck Repubs and Demis. As long as we stay locked in this two party system we're going to keep being subjected to the same old, same old.

We should quit talking the blame game and start using our heads about how we can actually better ourselves as a country in a realistic manner and then take action. Viva la resistance!

• Forum MVP

I don't know what i made it to be but, I am extremely satisfied that millions more americans will recieve health insurance. I am satisfied that obama helped stop the bleeding in the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression. I am satisfied that there will be an end of two wars within his first term. I am satisfied that many of the environmental loop holes that Bush and his cronies pushed through have been overturned.

Right direction in year one.

Oh boy... I could have a field day with this one but I'm not gonna!!! However, I'm with you Matt... "the buck stops here" and the 'here' is in Camp Obama, period. If he didn't want to take responsablility for the 'mess' he was inheriting, then why did he run? We need leadership, not excuses. And heaven forbid that there is one more terrorist event... he will be thru and his legacy irreversibly damaged. Now I'm totally stoked to get on that airplane tomorrow, arghh!! Hugz to y'all...

• Forum MVP
Oh boy... I could have a field day with this one but I'm not gonna!!! However, I'm with you Matt... "the buck stops here" and the 'here' is in Camp Obama, period. If he didn't want to take responsablility for the 'mess' he was inheriting, then why did he run? We need leadership, not excuses. And heaven forbid that there is one more terrorist event... he will be thru and his legacy irreversibly damaged. Now I'm totally stoked to get on that airplane tomorrow, arghh!! Hugz to y'all...

We were so much safer under W's command. Give me a break.

• Forum MVP
I don't know what i made it to be but, I am extremely satisfied that millions more americans will recieve health insurance. I am satisfied that obama helped stop the bleeding in the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression. I am satisfied that there will be an end of two wars within his first term. I am satisfied that many of the environmental loop holes that Bush and his cronies pushed through have been overturned.

WORD.

Guest jazz-man

First of all Bush WAS all that bad! But here's the bottom line: as long as our elected leaders play politics WE THE PEOPLE lose. The corporations get richer and get more power and we get screwed more. This country should be called the Corporate States Of America. The rich people we keep electing to office do NOT represent us.

To stimulate an economy you put money in people's hands, not give tax breaks to millionaires and billionaires. And that's what Bush did. People buying washers and dryers and home improvements and cars...that moves the economy. Not billionaires getting an extra $20 million. Next issue to that is make these items in America. Have import duties (like in China and Japan and Korea, for example) that make it profitable to keep the jobs here rather than import goods from overseas.

I give Obama a B-. I had such high hopes when he took office. Like he was going to be a once-in-a-lifetime leader like FDR or JFK but so far he hasn't delivered. But the big issue with Obama is that the Dems in the Senate and House have sold out to insurance and banking and screwed us again. Without good Senators and Congressmen Obama can do nothing byhimself. They pass the laws, not the president.

On a plus side Obama told the feds to back off on busting legal Medical Marijuana folks. Maybe it'll be decriminalized/legalized in my lifetime.

• Forum MVP

Those that say Obama inherited a the biggest messes or one of the biggest messes ever need to do some research. Outside of Lincoln and possibly, Washington no president here in the US can compare the mess they inherit to the mess that other presidents, dictators, rulers, etc inherit in other countries throughout the world. This is the fucking United State of America; the place I still happen to believe is the greatest place on Earth. This country had and its people for the most part still do, value; values that promote freedom and respect. Obama inherited America and the American people to lead and help foster growth. The American people are all ready and willing to grow or at least, the vast majority of Americans I have talked too.

Yes, I am aware the economy was in shambles, the financial industry fucked America and its people, and a seemingly un-winnable war was being fought in both Iraq and Afghanistan. After all, I am a finance major at Georgetown that started as an International Affairs major. And as a super senior, I have been here for a long time, taking more classes than I needed too, and although on tour a lot, spent a good deal of time reading and learning.

However, instead of trusting the American people to work their way through the troubling times and to respond to difficulties with determination, hard work, and perseverance, Obama has assumed we need a continuous hand out. Instead of letting some of the monied class in this country go broke for the transgressions of their stockbrokers, we continuously bailed them out while nothing has changed. No financial regulation and there at it again. Right now, they are deceiving Americans and buying life insurance policies, setting them up into tranches, and selling securities. For the most part, these people all kept their jobs and their bonuses. We should have let them fail and lose their jobs for the mistakes they made. Unfortunately, the results of this decision would have create a much bigger mess than exist today, but real change would have happened and those in the financial industry would've had to learn or be replaced with those that know how to make sound financial decisions. It doesn't bother me how the economy has performed - yes, I am sorry many don't have jobs - its cyclical and depressions happen; I'm just not happy that Obama doesn't see the problem or at least, doesn't address it. The people with large stock accounts don't need your helps. The guy that says I'm worth one third my money now and only have 26 million dollars does not need government assistance. Hell, even those without jobs don't need government hand outs, they need jobs or like Thoreau, need to learn to live for the most part with out a job.

Sorry for the rant. Matt, please teach kids in a nonpartisan way that this is important and they should get involved.

EDIT: BTW, I voted for Obama. I won't do it again. I'm a registered Democrat, but for the most part, I consider myself more a liberal or libertarian in the same vein as J.S. Mills and unfortunately, neither party represent these values.

• Forum MVP

Millions more Americans will be forced to buy health insurance, the bleeding has not been stopped, the two "wars" are still plodding along like they were (maybe not in the news as much, but still going), and Obama has pushed environmental issues to the back burner because he is too busy dealing with health care (see: no progress in Copenhagen). I know you really want to believe things will be different, but I don't think they will be. My hope is that after Obama's term all people will see that there is really little difference between the party's and force some real change. Shrink the government down to a workable size.

• Forum MVP
Millions more Americans will be forced to buy health insurance, the bleeding has not been stopped, the two "wars" are still plodding along like they were (maybe not in the news as much, but still going), and Obama has pushed environmental issues to the back burner because he is too busy dealing with health care (see: no progress in Copenhagen). I know you really want to believe things will be different, but I don't think they will be. My hope is that after Obama's term all people will see that there is really little difference between the party's and force some real change. Shrink the government down to a workable size.

Who will be forced to buy health care? Give me some stats here? How will it work from your perspective? How would you have handled the wars? Your right, Copenhagen was a failure but there are other nations involved that had to buy into cutting emissions, and China, India and other "developing nations" were unwilling to make that type of commitment. After health care gets passed and the economy continues to stabilize, Obama will push hard for a cap and trade system on emissions.

It's easy to say Obama is letting you down, play Monday morning quarterback, saying he didn't do this, he didn't do that in year 1, but how would you have liked to see him handle health care? the wars? the enviornment? the economy? Sounds like the right- criticize everything Obama does and come up with no solutions on how to handle the problems that plague us.

Archived