Pardon My Ignorance

Tea

• Forum MVP

I am looking for some general advice about where the best place in a club/theatre to dance my face off to DSO. The sound junkie in me sends me close to the front and I end up with head shakin and little else (along with some spilled beer and a few high elbows). I have found myself very near the front for every DSO show I have seen (10-12). I only need a little space to channel the music to my soul but I still want the best sound I can get. I realize that each venue has it's unique characteristics so it may be hard to easily generalize the right answer.

I can have the time of my life just about anywhere during the DSO experience. I would rather find the -right- spot that will also likely have the -right- people.

Please share some wisdom!

• Forum MVP

You will always find me in the back, makin' my own space. Closer to the center is usually better sound, but I'm not enduring a show packed in at the front. I also find it really important who is around me (drunk college guy, guy who thinks he sings better than the band, guy who wants to make sure everyone knows he knows the words, talkers, tall people, people taking BO to new levels). That shit probably shouldn't bother me, but sorry it does. I can control who is around (to some extent) by hanging in the back and moving around til I find the sweet spot (usually a gorgeous girl twirling in a sun dress). Packed in up front you end up being distracted by somebody pissing you off. JMO, cause there seem to be a pile of those that thrive on that.............cool, without them up front, there is no back.

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

watch out for drunk people and talkers.. the rest should fall in to place...

there is NOTHING worse than drunk people and talkers...

I had the worst one ever at Barton Hall last night during looks like rain. i told him to keep it down... yeah, he listened.

I find there is usually a lot of room to dance on the sides, close to the front. There might be spinners there, but I love their energy as long as they don't bop me on the head (and I have moments of spinning myself). The sight lines are good when you want to see the band, and the sound is also usually fine and LOUD. Just my two cents...

I have never been a fan of going to the front. I usually stay to the right or left of the soundboard or light board. I need my space to dance. I also don't mind going all the way back. At the Indy show, I was to the left of the light board. I placed my coat on the rail and my beers under the rail. At the Newport show, I went to the back of the balcony. Perfect overhead view and perfect to sneak a toke.

Guest Lisacat

I don't think there is one "right" place to be! Its wherever you want to be at that very moment in time. My favorite place to be is in the front on either the left (preferred) or right side of the stage, where I can usually find a good bunch of spinners and dancers, but one man gathers what another man spills- some folks can't stand being in the midst of a bunch of spinners.

• Forum MVP

I think it depends on what you mean by dancing. Some people like to hold the rail and sway their heads. What type of dancing do you like to do?

I am not a spinner, but I like kick up my heels a bit. You would notice me if you were shoulder-to-shoulder with me but I always try to be respectful of other people's space. So to ask what kind of dancin I do?....well......Groovin. Heads shakin......legs movin......arms too ---- Man to describe this it sounds like I am having a freakin seizure.....

As much as the reason for this question was to find the right spot, I think my questions is really this......Where should I go where I might find the largest collection of true DSO fans who:

Think a DSO show might as well be called CHURCH

Would travel untold distances just to catch the 2nd set

Who seek enlightment through music and through the people they meet along the way

Does this help better frame my qustion? Maybe it should be: Where do I find the people from this Forum at any given show? I would love to meet people from this community, and have a great time!

• Forum MVP

I am not a spinner, but I like kick up my heels a bit. You would notice me if you were shoulder-to-shoulder with me but I always try to be respectful of other people's space. So to ask what kind of dancin I do?....well......Groovin. Heads shakin......legs movin......arms too ---- Man to describe this it sounds like I am having a freakin seizure.....

As much as the reason for this question was to find the right spot, I think my questions is really this......Where should I go where I might find the largest collection of true DSO fans who:

Who seek enlightment through music and through the people they meet along the way

Does this help better frame my qustion? Maybe it should be: Where do I find the people from this Forum at any given show? I would love to meet people from this community, and have a great time!

Let us know what shows you are attending and we can usually arrange a little meeting of board members attending that show. You probably won't want to dance back with ChuckV or the spinners because they sometime sacrifice sound for space, but you should meet them anyway and they usually create enough space that if you can't find space to dance you can find a safe haven there. Look forward to meeting you down the road.

• Forum MVP

Rick has addressed one of the salient points - the tradeoff of sound for space, if the latter is of major importance. If you see people lathered up, moving with grace or at least enthusiastically and appearing pretty God damned transfixed, you are with fellow congregants.

As for specific locales, some are more notable than others. A major variable is your willingness and ability to travel. The East coast girls really knock me out, then there's the Midwest farmers' daughters, but I wish they all could be California girls.

We Are Everywhere !!! dsorocks.gif

Word.

Rick has addressed one of the salient points - the tradeoff of sound for space, if the latter is of major importance. If you see people lathered up, moving with grace or at least enthusiastically and appearing pretty God damned transfixed, you are with fellow congregants.

I also trade sound for space. I'm not a spinner though. I like to have at least three feet of personal/dancing space around me cause I can move around when dancing.

I attended Indy and Columbus with at least 3 fellow starheads. We all do our own thing during the show. I stay back with my gfriend (base camp) while the rest find different spots throughout the show and every now and then they return to base camp.

Guest crazy digits

Let us know what shows you are attending and we can usually arrange a little meeting of board members attending that show. You probably won't want to dance back with ChuckV or the spinners because they sometime sacrifice sound for space, but you should meet them anyway and they usually create enough space that if you can't find space to dance you can find a safe haven there. Look forward to meeting you down the road.

Where do you live? That will help me identify the venues near you great to dance. I have been to a couple different halls.

yup... sounds like you've at least found the right board....

I don't get around like some of these folks ;) but I almost always meet some new (to me) board member just by dancin'. like recognizes like for me at a show, those 3 similarities you mentioned above... usually (not always!) they're visible. :)

for me.... sometimes I have to wander a bit. I've got to be able to move... find just the right spot.... definitely space to spin, move, d-a-n-c-e... and the energy has to be right too. Many of us are blessed with knowing others at shows, during some point I usually take refuge within the comfort of familiar smiles, but if it's crowded I can almost always expect to end up near Chuck. :) He's got good energy! :) and great smiles. usually the smiles are directed to his inner being with his hands together, eyes closed, and mouthing the words "...you are the song that the morning brings..." but it makes me smile just the same. :) Being conscious of others is important, being aware of space, not taking up too much but allowing your self enough to get "lost", grooving along with others. ahhh it's the best!!!

oh god, I need a show!!! :) smiles, e

Guest SaintMatt

watch out for drunk people and talkers.. the rest should fall in to place...

there is NOTHING worse than drunk people and talkers...

No. There is NOTHING worse than thoes who must bitch about others trying to enjoy a show in their own way...

Archived