The Light Show At The Dso Concerts

kruston

So, I saw DSO in St. Louis this year. Excellent show. However, on more than one occasion, I found myself completely distracted by the light show going on. There's a ton of lights, which is cool and gives them a lot of power and flexibility. But I think its a little overdone. Seemed like the lights were always moving, changing, etc. Even more than I had remembered at past shows. I don't know if its a new guy running it or what.

I think the light show should enhance the experience and the music, not distract from it. I didn't say anything to the guys I went to the show with, but after it was over, one of them said, "I don't know about you guys, but I thought the lighting guy sucked!" The rest of us pretty much agreed.

Anyone else notice this or have a different reaction?

So, I saw DSO in St. Louis this year. Excellent show. However, on more than one occasion, I found myself completely distracted by the light show going on. There's a ton of lights, which is cool and gives them a lot of power and flexibility. But I think its a little overdone. Seemed like the lights were always moving, changing, etc. Even more than I had remembered at past shows. I don't know if its a new guy running it or what.

I think the light show should enhance the experience and the music, not distract from it. I didn't say anything to the guys I went to the show with, but after it was over, one of them said, "I don't know about you guys, but I thought the lighting guy sucked!" The rest of us pretty much agreed.

I think the lighting guy changes the locations of the lights depending which show is being recreated. I had no complaints on the light show at the Indy show. He had the lights set up differently at the Newport. The DMX lights (the ones that move, change colors, designs) were placed on the floor behind the band for the show at the Newport (they were hung up high at Indy). He did not use the DMX lights during the first set at Newport. He was going through the traditional lighting during that era (1976). He then turned the DMX lights on during the second set. He used the DXM lights to light up a huge tapestry behind the band. Two completely different set ups with two completely different ways to approach lighting the band. He changed the set up every night at Gratefulfest last year as well. That's very creative in my eyes. No complaints here.

If I am not mistaken, he used to be The Schwag's lighting guy and specialized in back drop lighting. I went to Schwagstock in 2005 and thought he was shining the lights into the crowd too much.

• Forum MVP

The lighting guy you are talking about is Brian,I believe he's been doing lights as long as I've been seeing the band ,02.He's a hellava guy& Everynight he is dealing w/ the house lights execpt the newer ones that the band travels with.He always trys to stay true to the era that the band is playing,less for early shows and more for later shows or elective sets.Watch him near the board sometime,I think he's pretty amazing especially when the tapistries are hanging.-peace

• Forum MVP

Bryan is the 8th Man on stage. He a s true professional at what he does and I must agree with a poster above......I have never been distracted (in a bad way) by the lights. For me, it always added a "little something" extra.

Thanks Bryan for all that you do.

• Forum VIP

Bryan has mastered his trade over the years and I think he has been with band since 01, in the last year Bryan has upgraded the lights with 8 moving lights that he places in different spots on the stage depending on the era and stage set up. They also added 6 large light towers to elevate the lights to give them even more depth. The band continues to upgrade the production, they are investing in sound and light constantly to gives us the best experience. Bryan does not get a lot of recognition for his work, but He is guy who goes out every night trying to do a little bit better than last night and I am a fan who appreciates and enjoys his efforts. Cheers to Bryan.....Dr. V

• Forum MVP

Bryan has been with Dark Star Orchestra as lighting director since 1999. He does an amazing job and the band appreciates him very much. He is a true artist. BTW, his home town is St. Louis. Perhaps what the original poster was noticing was his extra zeal in preforming for his home town audience.

I think the lighting guy changes the locations of the lights depending which show is being recreated. I had no complaints on the light show at the Indy show. He had the lights set up differently at the Newport. The DMX lights (the ones that move, change colors, designs) were placed on the floor behind the band for the show at the Newport (they were hung up high at Indy). He did not use the DMX lights during the first set at Newport. He was going through the traditional lighting during that era (1976). He then turned the DMX lights on during the second set. He used the DXM lights to light up a huge tapestry behind the band. Two completely different set ups with two completely different ways to approach lighting the band. He changed the set up every night at Gratefulfest last year as well. That's very creative in my eyes. No complaints here.

If I am not mistaken, he used to be The Schwag's lighting guy and specialized in back drop lighting. I went to Schwagstock in 2005 and thought he was shining the lights into the crowd too much.

Gratefulfest i believe is a different animal than most. Stood in front of the lighting rig last year and struck up a few converstaions with the lighting crew. Sounded like the ledges brings in their own setup for the big festivals - the setup that lit up the trees on either sides of the stage was not DSO's rig .

• Forum MVP

I have found that the lighting over the years has progressed, grown and evolved consistently. The level of dedication and attention to detail that Bryan brings is a testament to the power of the music and DSO's professionalism. But what do I know? I just dance. Namaste.

Gratefulfest i believe is a different animal than most. Stood in front of the lighting rig last year and struck up a few converstaions with the lighting crew. Sounded like the ledges brings in their own setup for the big festivals - the setup that lit up the trees on either sides of the stage was not DSO's rig .

Didn't realize it was nlqp's lights. I loved the lights that lit the trees.

I had mistakenly read somewhere that the Schwag's lighting guy was with DSO. So I assumed it was Brian. I didn't like the fact that the Schwag guy had lights on the crowd too much. It was blinding my eyes. Made me leave the stage area and listened to their set from my camp site.

• Advisory Board

I've always been a fan of Bryan's light shows... He's a true professional and an artist when it comes to his light shows.... His light shows always makes my musical experiences a great one..

Thanks Bryan for all you do... You rock!

• Forum MVP

Bryan is very good at lighting design. Even so he sometimes does more than I personally want to see.

The real bottom line is this...

too much lights...............close 'dem eyelids....

I actually use some lightweight sunglasses for almost all shows I go to anymore.

Bryan is very good at lighting design. Even so he sometimes does more than I personally want to see.

The real bottom line is this...

I actually use some lightweight sunglasses for almost all shows I go to anymore.

and if the sunglasses don't work, you put your hair over your face B)

Distraction? Shocking! Maybe it was the venue or where you were located? The lighting guy does not suck! He is a GREAT GUY who is passionate about his craft and is VERY GOOD at what he does. As Dr. V said, he is always trying to get better and constantly asking the band for more lights to enhance the experience. Do we all have off days/nights? Yes and MAYBE the night your talking about was one of them but I would guess it was more of the venue and your location. Anyone who was at the NYE show, will tell you the lights were outstanding. Bry Guy nailed the entire show. HE'S THE BEST!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

I always have admired the light show that accompanies the DSO experience! Thanks to Bryan for his magic that goes along with the music.

The sound and lighting guys often go unmentioned in many of the discussions here, however they are as important a part of Dark Star Orchestra as the musicians themselves. They are the extended members of the band. Keep up the great work you all do!

dsorocks.gif

Guest deadheadmike

I always have admired the light show that accompanies the DSO experience! Thanks to Bryan for his magic that goes along with the music.

The sound and lighting guys often go unmentioned in many of the discussions here, however they are as important a part of Dark Star Orchestra as the musicians themselves. They are the extended members of the band. Keep up the great work you all do!

dsorocks.gif

I'm with ya Bernie , the people behind the scene always do a fantastic job and we love what you do ... cheers to the crew !!!

Sitting up and back in the seats at the Nokia some years ago, it was mine and my friends' very first DSO show...and it blew our minds. Not only was this music absolutely incredible, masterful ~ I was immediately hooked! ~ but the light show was fantastic!! Here, right before our eyes and ears, was this heartbreakingly beautiful joyous beloved music of the Grateful Dead, with a choreography of liquid light synchronistically expressing what we were hearing, a true moment of aesthetic synesthesia, in which we were seeing the music, and hearing the light...at moments sun rays splintering into a million pieces of iridescence shimmering on water, becoming psychedelic solar winds sweeping rainbows through our cosmos, then kaleidoscopically unfolding into geometries of dreams...

After some several shows thereafter with this same amazing lighting, I had the opportunity to ask, when meeting the band greeting the audience after a show, Who is this talented lighting director?, and I learned his name is Bryan! ...From a mere technical standpoint I've more recently learned there can be some limitations on light work in some venues, while others are constrained to house lights, so of course we're going to have a different experience of lighting at places like the Nokia, the Bardovan Opera House, or the Carnegie Music Hall of Homestead than at, say, Toad's Place or the like,...but no matter where, whether with 'marble' or 'clay,' Bryan creates a stunningly beautiful visual experience and is truly an artist...

Archived