Let It Grow

Help On The Way>

Slipknot!>

Franklin's Tower

Encore:

Johnny B. Goode

• Forum MVP

Vincent,

I dont believe that is Big Brown, it looks like a Modulus Bass from looking at the head, but the pic is hard to tell....we need more info....Dr. V....I am hearing rough start tonight, kinda all over the place....

Dr. V... you're right, I naturally assumed it was Big Brown just because it I knew it was a brown Modulus and I couldn't see why Phil would go out and get another Modulus after his love for the Jens Ritter basses. We'll have to wait and see though..

Either way, its awesome.

• Advisory Board

so so SO glad i got to go. was settled into my neighborhood pub with friends and NO intention of going anywhere in the shit weather we were having, get a phone call, and an hour later i'm at radio city. fun fun show. great energy. i think there's some good stuff going on there...

• Forum MVP

so so SO glad i got to go. was settled into my neighborhood pub with friends and NO intention of going anywhere in the shit weather we were having, get a phone call, and an hour later i'm at radio city. fun fun show. great energy. i think there's some good stuff going on there...

I hear spontaneous show going/dancing is the best! And looks like carpe diem really paid off last night for ya! See ya soon? wink.gif

As stated above, this is Big Brown, aka the Godfather:

4179.jpg

The bass in the pic is a Modulus Q6, sometime in the 90's he had them build two with a 34" scale (same as a Fender) vs. their usual 35" scale, so I'd assume it's one of those two.

It's still a pretty interesting breakout. He's got two of the alien basses, not sure why he didn't just play the backup one.

• Advisory Board

I hear spontaneous show going/dancing is the best! And looks like carpe diem really paid off last night for ya! See ya soon? wink.gif

carpe diem, indeed! i'm really into that lately. makes things so much more interesting. whoever said that thing about spontaneity is clearly brilliant.

As stated above, this is Big Brown, aka the Godfather:

4179.jpg

The bass in the pic is a Modulus Q6, sometime in the 90's he had them build two with a 34" scale (same as a Fender) vs. their usual 35" scale, so I'd assume it's one of those two.

It's still a pretty interesting breakout. He's got two of the alien basses, not sure why he didn't just play the backup one.

YOW--that's a lot of knobs!!

Can you explain the configuration of all of these? My first guess was that there are a certain number of knobs for each string+ a couple for all of them together. However, it doesn't seem to work out evenly for all four strings that way.

• Forum MVP

My brother came up to my school last night to rendezvous before the show. Got some pizza and got to the train station as soon as the train was pulling up. Met some deadheads on the train and shot the breeze with them. We then proceeded to (briskly) walk from 34th st. to 51st. The line outside to get in was crazy but we just made it. We got in our seats at 7:50 right as they picked up their instruments.

Jam - Just some noodling

Other One Jam - started up with an explosion. Nothing crazy happened but it was very wild to start off with this. Had a pretty good transition into

Playing in the Band - Bobby sounded real strong, i thought the whole band unit sounded real tight. The jam afterwards didn't really get as psychedelic as i hoped but it was still cool.

After Midnight - Soooo much fun. Back up singers sound great on this track. JK was leading this one the entire way. Third favorite song of the set. Strong solos and a real quick transition into

The Love Each Other - Two JK songs back to back is always nice. Not the best version i've heard them do, but they were all on the same page and Jeff was jamming for sure, really groovin.

When I Paint My Masterpiece - This was the highlight of the first set for me. Had goosebumps the entire time, hair on ends. Bobby hasn't sounded this good vocally in a while. Had so much passion.

The Race Is On - Great up beat dancing song. Everyone got on their feet and Jeff and JK were shredding back and forth on the solos. Great navigation by the two.

Dear Mr. Fantasy - Probably my second favorite song of the set. I think JK was really prominent the entire night but a few people around me went crazy for this as did I and we all shared a group high five. Jeff did some cool Brent-esque keyboard playing and JK's lead lines were soaring.

Jeff's Solo Jam - Scratch everything I said before. I had the biggest fucking grin on my face during this. Such a monster on the keys.

Two Djinn - Never heard this before. I sat down for it since I had been dancing for every song before and my legs begged me for a break. But it had some cool lead lines and melodies. Sounded good to my ears.

Samson and Delilah - Starts off with only the vocals now, it's cool as a novelty thing but Samson needs to start out with some monsterous drums. Sounded tight though and ended really strong, great set closer.

Chit Chatted with this guy was at the Fox shows in Oakland and he thought those were the best shows Furthur has played. Not for vocal reasons, but just energy level wise, he though they tapered off afterwards. I disagree but maybe i'll have to give those shows another listen.

Viola Lee Blues - Very cool set opener, band was together and had good harmonies. Drums really set the groove but Bobby, Phil and Jeff really helped carry it. First solo sounded good but didn't go too far. The second solo came to a complete psychedelic breakdown and then built back up, just great.

Shakedown Street - Funky to the max. Again, the backup singers really made this tune a stand out. John's playing sounded so jerry-esque and everyone in the band started melding together. Had some great jams going on. Boaow- Chicka- Boaow- Chicka - Boaow - Chicka- Bao Boaowwww. Thought it was gonna kick the set off but this was 100% awesome after VLB. Second favorite song of the set.

Hard To Handle - Bobby sounded really great on this tune. He can belt this number and make it sound good. JK totally lead the jam with his solo, he was just shredding and everybody loved it.

Deal - Was a great follow up and didn't let up at all. Everyone was firing on all cylinders and playing their asses off. This set was sooo smoking.

Mason's Children - Sounded leaps and bounds better than the first time they played it in Asbury Park. really happy this tune is starting to come together a lot more.

Days Between - I'll be honest, I like Bobby's version. No crazy solos but it was completely serene and perfect slot for a ballad. Needed a rest, so it was nice to really relax to this song. Had a powerful ending too.

Let It Grow - Bobby was kicking and raging to this song. Had a little bit of a calypto groove to it. John blazed the trail. Had a some really crazy jams and a perfect return to the ending. Great transitions and communication.

Help On The Way and Slipknot - I was waiting for this all night and knew it was coming in the middle of Let It Grow. Started just a wee bit lack luster but quickly turned on the turbo jets. Slipknot sounded so good, my blood was P-U-M-P-I-N'! I couldn't dance enough. Prolly my favorite song of the night due to the end jam but as said before, the shakedown and masterpiece were both really beautiful.

Phil's Tower - Phil sounded fine on it. Wasn't even really disappointed by the vocals. Started off mehh, but finished really strong. Seems like it takes them a little while to ease into their songs but once they start listening to each other they can do some really special things.

Johnny B Goode - Felt the set closer. It was ripping and roaring. Me and my brother left after JK's solo and ran and jumped all the stairs during the last chorus.

We then proceeded to sprint 15+ blocks to catch our 11:49 train. My legs felt like a rubber afterwards. After 2 hours and 45 minutes of dancing and running all over the city, I was beat! We just made the train by a minute. This was a night of such close timing but it turned out so epic in the end.

I feel like everyone in Furthur really gets their chance to shine. Furthur has Arrived! and you should go see them if you get the chance. I gotta say, I think it's a great thing that John takes a back seat on some of the vocal changes. I mean, he's playing with absolute heros. He's worked so hard to get to where he is and i couldn't be happier for him. Progress is still being made as well, so all good things in all good time. Overall, I think a better show then the one i caught in Ithaca but not song was as big as the DEW there. Also, really cool lights and back drop but a few too many light going out into the crowd, besides that, it was all good. Great crowd and energy too.

On the flip side, DSO has been fucking tearing it up all over the country. They haven't slowed down at all with their musical progression. I see nothing but great things all around. Sure the transition was a little rough, but this really is a beautiful time for GD music. Grateful to be alive right now. I can't even put all my feelings into words.

I just gained a great sense of trust with all the members of Furthur and I believe they are really working towards putting out the best music possible given their circumstances and the times.

Anyways, Furthur gets better every time I see them. Can't wait for AC, but I realllllly can't wait for May, June, and JUly cause I'll be going bonkers with DSO.

ahh, true... isn't called Big Red? or something... I remember there being a name for the Modulus.

Big Red was also Big Brown aka the Godfather, back when it still had the Hagstrom pickups on it, before all the paint was stripped off of it. It was originally a Guild Starfire II. It changed names when it underwent it's transformation.

I don't believe any of the basses had names after Mission Control, the prototype Alembic Series II that's featured in the Grateful Dead movie and was retired in 1979 or so.

Archived