Furthur

Guest deadheadmike

• Forum MVP

I think it's a little shortsighted to not think about the advantages for DSO regarding having a Furthur section on this site. There is a strong possibility that now and in the future, people who have never seen DSO might come here to talk about Furthur because of John's presence in the band and because John used to be the lead guitarist for DSO. Not to mention that people might be drawn to discuss the band here and stay here versus the other places because this place is better and it doesn't take newcomers long to figure that out. That means there is just as much potential for these new people to check out the DSO review section and become interested to check out this band for the first time--a band who seems to be ripping it up.

If I don't make another post regarding Furthur on the DSO forums, I honestly wouldn't care one bit but if you are talking dollars here, I think having a Furthur forum on these boards has the potential to help DSO .

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I had some time to see what I wrote and thought about it. Talked with a trusted friend, and I must say, I was wrong. Won't be the last time I will be wrong either. I understand and see things a bit differently, discussion, open dialog, it's all fine by me, Furthur, DSO, The Grateful Dead, just as long as we keep it civil and treat everyone with respect. Maybe just maybe, someone who saw Furthur and wants to talk about it will come here and talk, and maybe they'll have a listen to DSO, and maybe....another Starhead will be born.

I really love this place,

Looky

Guest deadheadmike

I had some time to see what I wrote and thought about it. Talked with a trusted friend, and I must say, I was wrong. Won't be the last time I will be wrong either. I understand and see things a bit differently, discussion, open dialog, it's all fine by me, Furthur, DSO, The Grateful Dead, just as long as we keep it civil and treat everyone with respect. Maybe just maybe, someone who saw Furthur and wants to talk about it will come here and talk, and maybe they'll have a listen to DSO, and maybe....another Starhead will be born.

Looky

I'm with you Dave !!! I could see lots of Furthur fans that never saw DSO wanting to see the KICK ASS band that JK came from ...

Bandwidth - think of it as renting space in a warehouse to store a certain amount of cargo and all of the sudden you start ramming more cargo in the warehouse than you have room for , you have to rent more space ... thats my take on it anyway ... I was informed about this by a very trustworthy person and the only who know these issues ... we had issues towards the end of last month , forum running slow , cant log on and crashing ... bandwidth usage doubled last month and extra needed to be purchased to keep the forum open and running ... the Furthur threads and post with all the over size pictures and amount of post played a big part in that ... that's what I know, that's what I'm telling you all and again this place does not run for free ... help out if you can :)

Just for the record.....here's the definition of bandwidth

the transmission capacity of an electronic communications device or system; the speed of data transfer: a high-bandwidth Internet connection.

sounds more like a storage issue than a "bandwidth" problem. if more bandwidth was purchased it probably was to handle the higher load of traffic to the site. i certainly don't know the inner workings of the servers and networks used here however.....blaming this on multiple threads for furthur instead of the increased traffic to the site doesn't quite seem like the right. wether all the furthur posts go in 1 thread or 1,000 it most likely has absolutely nothing to do with bandwidth and more to do with storage. the bandwidth comes into play when more and more people are trafficking the site.

• Forum MVP

Looky

Looky,

Doing something like you did here is not just really hard, it takes a good-sized pair of balls. Because of what you did here, and because of other people's acceptance of it, and because other people do the same type thing around here regularly, I LOVE THIS PLACE TOO...... Thanks Bro.

one of my favorites..

25564_375121626439_679636439_4363144_7155258_n.jpg

As for the detective's post.. I don't really know what to say. I was posting the lists as I enjoy following any shows Phil and Bob are playing... I figured it be worth posting them in this corner of the Grateful Dead internet world.. especially considering John is on stage with them. I sound repeated, but it's not Furthur advertising or being a "poster boy"... its for loving this music so much to the point that looking at a list of songs, reviews, and pictures of a show I wasn't at interests me.

see you at the NJ & NY DSO shows in May!..

The photo is taken June 11, 1981 by David Callahan. It's from an interview in BAM magazine with Jerry. David Gans and Blair Jackson wrote the article. Picture and article can be found in "Conversations With The Dead".

I think it's a little shortsighted to not think about the advantages for DSO regarding having a Furthur section on this site. There is a strong possibility that now and in the future, people who have never seen DSO might come here to talk about Furthur because of John's presence in the band and because John used to be the lead guitarist for DSO. Not to mention that people might be drawn to discuss the band here and stay here versus the other places because this place is better and it doesn't take newcomers long to figure that out. That means there is just as much potential for these new people to check out the DSO review section and become interested to check out this band for the first time--a band who seems to be ripping it up.

If I don't make another post regarding Furthur on the DSO forums, I honestly wouldn't care one bit but if you are talking dollars here, I think having a Furthur forum on these boards has the potential to help DSO .

i agree that both bands stem from the same music...turing folks on to one directly supports folks to the other...

• Forum MVP

The photo is taken June 11, 1981 by David Callahan. It's from an interview in BAM magazine with Jerry. David Gans and Blair Jackson wrote the article. Picture and article can be found in "Conversations With The Dead".

Awesome reference, greyhead. I was guessing '79, but in retrospect Jerry does seem a bit more grizzled than that. And he didn't start to really gain weight until a little over a year later.

• Forum MVP

agree with Dstone point! in addition .... If there is a problem with band width then we need to fix it. It's going to be a problem sooner or later because DSO is only going to grow!

• Forum MVP

Slacker !! ... I resemble that remark.... :wacko:

Looky, I disagree with your post. I think that it is totally appropriate to discuss an Ex-DSO member's band in this forum. Plus who really cares, we are all just a bunch of slackers with apparently too much time on our hands.

I got this loud neighbor ... can you send him a nasty email for me.... :blink:

Woo hoo! I won a fight on the internet. I rule.....

"Let It Grow"

agree with Dstone point! in addition .... If there is a problem with band width then we need to fix it. It's going to be a problem sooner or later because DSO is only going to grow!

What's with this so-called "bandwidth problem"?

Is there actually a measurable problem with bandwidth at all, or is this more accurately an issue about egos and/or hurt feelings?

Jan 2009 7.38 GB

Feb 2009 7.31 GB

Mar 2009 6.50 GB

Apr 2009 7.67 GB

May 2009 6.86 GB

Jun 2009 6.76 GB

Jul 2009 6.58 GB

Aug 2009 7.27 GB

Sep 2009 8.17 GB

Oct 2009 9.78 GB

Nov 2009 12.31 GB

Dec 2009 15.60 GB

Jan 2010 17.31 GB

Feb 2010 19.02 GB

These numbers are just the B/W used by forum posts and do not include search engine spiders.

Just for the record.....here's the definition of bandwidth

the transmission capacity of an electronic communications device or system; the speed of data transfer: a high-bandwidth Internet connection.

sounds more like a storage issue than a "bandwidth" problem. if more bandwidth was purchased it probably was to handle the higher load of traffic to the site. i certainly don't know the inner workings of the servers and networks used here however.....blaming this on multiple threads for furthur instead of the increased traffic to the site doesn't quite seem like the right. whether all the furthur posts go in 1 thread or 1,000 it most likely has absolutely nothing to do with bandwidth and more to do with storage. the bandwidth comes into play when more and more people are trafficking the site.

In this instance it is the transmission capacity. I have adequate storage space, but have had to pay for overages on B/W. I will be increasing the allotment, again, since we are now at 12 GB and just past half way through the month. All in all you are right-on.

bandwidth and storage were both issues last month ... large increase in size of the other bands forum along with the normal storage use in the rest of the forum and a very large increase in visitor traffic and lots of search engines digging through the forum for information ... :)

You are right about traffic and search engines but storage space is OK

I am taking care of B/W, it would just be nice if the people coming here for furthur would donate.

I don't read, or for that matter will I moderate this forum. On the header bar for the categories on the right side if you click the minus sign (-) it will hide the forums in that category.

Guest deadheadmike

Jay lane is the first to go. More to come I mean go. Peace :unsure:

Wow , its true ... and Phil says he's not being replaced ... I like Jay and thought he added lots of color to the band in the beginning but as Furthur progressed he seem to slip into the background and loose all that fun animation he had in Oakland ....

Guest deadheadmike

Apparently here's why?

By Phil Lesh (Kilowatt) on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 06:39 pm: Edit Post

Well, well, well, you can't never tell.

Yet again, the rumors and disinformation are flying thick and fast.

In clarification:

Over the past year, both Jill and I have come to know and love Jay for the great guy that he is.

At the end of our tour he rode back on Bob's bus and informed Bob that he had an opportunity to play drums with Primus.

He and Bob discussed it, and they decided that the logical time to make the change would be after the birthday show. I only found out about this the day before the show; as their relationship goes back a long way, I told them both then that I support any decision they might make. I will miss Jay's enthusiasm and ebullience; he's a great guy to hang and play music with.

Shame on you Phil for putting NEGATIVE shit to rest...

-Stagger

Musicians quit bands , we just experienced that in our own little world here , just like folks move from job to job to try and improve their lives ... I think Jay wanted to get back behind a drum kit , and maybe the paycheck is better , they have to provide for their families , I could be wrong , but that's what I think .... and shame on Phil for announcing this so quick and not allowing us to spin it out of control ...

Best of Luck to Jay !!!

• Forum MVP

This is what Phil had to say about the switch back to Modulus..

"I discovered that the Ritter wasn't getting out front as well as I'd like; it sounded great on stage but not in the PA. I'm thankful I had the Modulus to go back to."

And I will miss Jay with Furthur..

26048_1302751221937_1625164162_733319_1133321_n.jpg

One drummer now, eh?

I like Jay alot. I think him and Joe were a great team. Having said that I'm excited about this. I think 2 drummers is one to many. I've always been a huge "just Billy" shows fan. 74 is my favorite year, or one of them just because of that sound.

Archived