Norva Norfolk Tribute

smoseywales

OK in addition to a great show (list follows) the band for the filler played a great tribute to Norfolk, first with Gary US Bonds' "New Orleans" which was recorded just blocks away in 1960, and then "Promised Land" with its bookend references to "Norfolk Virginia."

The set was described as a "Holy Grail" show--Filmore West 2/27/1969. Personally, I prefer more "songs" but this was great stuff. Any doubts the crowd may have had about Jeff's covering Jerry were resolved in the second set with an incredible energy and range of styles, all with precision and capturing "the sound." Rob took off as a delta bluesman for both the opening and closing numbers.

Good Morning Little School Girl

Doin

• Forum MVP

OK in addition to a great show (list follows) the band for the filler played a great tribute to Norfolk, first with Gary US Bonds' "New Orleans" which was recorded just blocks away in 1960, and then "Promised Land" with its bookend references to "Norfolk Virginia."

The set was described as a "Holy Grail" show--Filmore West 2/27/1969. Personally, I prefer more "songs" but this was great stuff. Any doubts the crowd may have had about Jeff's covering Jerry were resolved in the second set with an incredible energy and range of styles, all with precision and capturing "the sound." Rob took off as a delta bluesman for both the opening and closing numbers.

Good Morning Little School Girl

Doin? that rag

Cryptical envelopment>Other One>Cryptical envelopment

Duprees Diamond Blues>Mountains of the Moon>

Dark Star> St. Stephen>the Eleven

Lovelight

Encore: Cosmic Charlie

Filler:

Lindy Rag(?)

How sweet it is to be loved by you

Too hot to handle

New Orleans

Promised Land

Ummm....wow! Looks like a special evening indeed! So bummed to pass on this one....

I remember sitting in a hotel room in Burlington a few years ago talking about how we will probably never get to see a pre-72 show. And now look at these boys and gal shine! Wish I could be there this weekend...but I'm there in spirit. If you feel some phantom hair smacking you in the face, thats me!

• Forum MVP

(Lindy Rag?) ...

I would think that is Doin The Rag... "Momma killed a chicken and she thought it was a duck and but it on the table with its feet sticking up!"

anyway you slice it that setlist is sick !!! ... :wacko::blink:

Lindy Rag is a tune from the jug band garcia had back in the early sixties that the dead did in 66 and 67 Doin that Rag was in the set list last night and the momma killed a chicken line comes from a tune called aint it crazy- the rub

Lindy Rag is a tune from the jug band garcia had back in the early sixties that the dead did in 66 and 67 Doin that Rag was in the set list last night and the momma killed a chicken line comes from a tune called aint it crazy- the rub

Wow, Ain't it Crazy. I haven't thought about that tune in a long, long time. That would be a great one to pull out in an elective set!

• Forum MVP

Well Rob it looks like I must pay a punishment....

lets see ... how about 4 Our Fathers ..... OR..... 4 DSO shows when ya all come out west... ....

how about the latter ??

But I still stand by my statement ... that it is a sick setlist !!!!!! .... Keep on Truckin my friend

Archived