Billy Kreutzmann With Not So Kind Words About John K And Furthur

hereyugo

• Forum MVP

I wonder what these interviews would read like if they actually said in plain all American English what is really on their minds ... I mean just go nuts and say it how you mean it with total truth and all the emotion you need to get your point across and no danceing around with these cheep shots , just fucken air it all out and put it to bed ...

• Forum MVP

I wonder what these interviews would read like if they actually said in plain all American English what is really on their minds ... I mean just go nuts and say it how you mean it with total truth and all the emotion you need to get your point across and no danceing around with these cheep shots , just fucken air it all out and put it to bed ...

I think civility would be best in this case. I've heard there is a lot of animosity amongst the core four. I hope billy knows that jk creates more lasting interest than warren.

Kreutzmann is certainly entitled to his opinion. However, I think he's way offbase. Perhaps some of this may be due to his not getting the gig. Furthur is certainly not just doing the same thing that has been done in the past. The music is significantly different that performed by the GD, Other Ones, The Dead,... They just seem to keep getting better all the time, and are branching into some new directions. His dig at JK in comparison with Warren is completely inappropriate. I don't know anyone who would prefer Warren playing in Furthur.

As far as his cheap shot at DSO and other bands playing GD music--you almost could get the impression he doesn't appreciate what he was part of. DSO is recreating this music because it is so special and deserves to be heard.

civility is always best no matter what the case ... ;)

Instead of backpedalling.....I choose to just remain silent !

It's alot easier to avoid the foot in the mouth syndrome that way!

It 's just another reminder of what Ma used to say...."If you got nothing nice to say , just remain quiet !"

Peace, my friend,

Rob

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

Instead of backpedalling.....I choose to just remain silent !

It's alot easier to avoid the foot in the mouth syndrome that way!

It 's just another reminder of what Ma used to say...."If you got nothing nice to say , just remain quiet !"

Peace, my friend,

Rob

Rob, How's it going? Hope all's well with you. I'm not planning to be at NYE this year in CT........hope you are :) reid.

Rob, How's it going? Hope all's well with you. I'm not planning to be at NYE this year in CT........hope you are :) reid.

NYE ain't in the cards this year for me either......due to economic downturn <_<

Hope you have a grate holiday season and to run into you in the New Year @ a show !

Peace,

Rob

BK's entitled to his opinion but in MY opinion he is way off. Different doesn't always equal better, and what he's doing with these songs does not even compare to what furthur or DSO is doing with them. I think it's funny he says he hasn't listened to them yet criticizes them. If he is so excited about new things why does he still rely on doing those old songs just as much as Bobby and Phil? I hate to say it but I'm sure it infuriates him that DSO does better than his bands do. I can understand that, although that is so for a reason ;)

I may not agree with what he says, but I respect his right to his opinion. With all of the dissension amongst all camps involved. I leave everyone with this quote. "What do I think of Western civilisation? I think it would be a very good idea." - Mahatma Gandhi-

DSO @ the Fillmore this Saturday (12/11)

Furthur @ FBC in Broomfield, CO (2/11-13)

Love it all !

billy is just bitter cause he wasnt asked to join with furthur-russo is a beast on the drums and billy knows it! no need for the hate,just continue doing your thing with the 7 walkers and enjoy life.......

He is not called the octopus for nothing. Damn skippy he's the beast.

billy is just bitter cause he wasnt asked to join with furthur-russo is a beast on the drums and billy knows it! no need for the hate,just continue doing your thing with the 7 walkers and enjoy life.......

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that Billy/Mickey were not involved in any discussions after Dead '09 Tour.

But my uninformed opinion is that there must have been a falling out among the remaining members,which led to formation of Furthur.

I'm not trying to stir the same shit pot that's been repeatedly stirred , just pointing out that there aren't many folks who know the real deal leading to the creation of Furthur !

In my opinion there really ain't no comparison between Kreutzman & Russo.....Maybe I'm just still in awe over the music of The Grateful Dead.

See 'Ya on the Road,

Rob

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that Billy/Mickey were not involved in any discussions after Dead '09 Tour.

But my uninformed opinion is that there must have been a falling out among the remaining members,which led to formation of Furthur.

I'm not trying to stir the same shit pot that's been repeatedly stirred , just pointing out that there aren't many folks who know the real deal leading to the creation of Furthur !

In my opinion there really ain't no comparison between Kreutzman & Russo.....Maybe I'm just still in awe over the music of The Grateful Dead.

See 'Ya on the Road,

Rob

i never compared the two..just stated the fact that russo is a beast on drums,and billy and anyone who has ever seen him knows it. also im sure that bill k& the 7 walkers play to a crowd of 100 to 200 fans and jk &furthur play to a crowd of 10,000 to 20,000 fans must hit a nerve aswell.. peace

• Forum MVP

My guess would be that this is a lot more personal then he is letting on. His comments about furthur were shallow and and unfounded but I bet he has some good reasons for being bitter towards phil. I've always had a lot of respect for billy, one of the smartest and most interesting guys in the band, and i'm not ready to throw him under the bus here.

• Forum MVP

Comparing Russo is Billy is pointless... that is like comparing JK and Jerry there is no need for it.

I love Billy but this is just not cool. There is obviously something else going on here that probably has to do with what happened after the last Dead tour.

"should have hired a good solo guitarist"

oh please... Billy is smarter than that and knows how ridiculous that statement is. Warren is great but no for Grateful Dead music.

I also do not agree with his feelings about Furthur being like a cover band. They have changed so many arrangements and are consistently playing new songs...

No cool Billy, not cool.

Different doesn't always equal better,

Hit the nail on the head right there. Too many people pat themselves or each other just for doing something different with the music. It's a lot harder to learn the exact nuances of the music and then play it back with emotion, interaction and adventure than it is to just half-ass learn the chords and play it your own way.

Billy takes a jab at JK for making a living copying Jerry. I'd say Billy made an even better living just by being lucky enough to have ended up as Jerry's drummer. If he hadn't joined the Warlocks he would have been just another good but anonymous local or session drummer IMHO.

• Forum MVP
Billy takes a jab at JK for making a living copying Jerry. I'd say Billy made an even better living just by being lucky enough to have ended up as Jerry's drummer. If he hadn't joined the Warlocks he would have been just another good but anonymous local or session drummer IMHO.

Indeed. Way to point out the irony in Billy's comments.

billy is right.....JK is a cover band boy who only has the gig because he was "cheaper" to me that sounds like he doesnt deserve the job......lets have some random black guy parade around covering jimi hendrix then put him on tour and call it the jimi hendrix experience..... JK is great at what he does but i feel being apart of further hes sold out the members of DSO that helped him have this opportunity......hes not dead material no matter how many times he covers their songs

Guest Ammagamalin Crew

Kruetzman's living in Maui, I think he's pretty happy with his current situation. He can say whatever he wants; just as we all do on this internet whipping post.

• Forum MVP

billy is right.....JK is a cover band boy who only has the gig because he was "cheaper" to me that sounds like he doesnt deserve the job......lets have some random black guy parade around covering jimi hendrix then put him on tour and call it the jimi hendrix experience..... JK is great at what he does but i feel being apart of further hes sold out the members of DSO that helped him have this opportunity......hes not dead material no matter how many times he covers their songs

Eaaaasyyyy petey, easy now. While Warren is an accomplished musican who would command some $$$, JK is way above the class of cover band boy. i have seen my fair share of cover bands and JK can seriously channel some soul and is the main driver in what Furthur is accomplishing. I would venture to bet that Warren would not have evolved to the extent that JK has. I saw the Dead 5 times with Warren and outside of 1 nite in Philly, my socks stayed on my feet.

While the departure of JK sucked, he didn't sell DSO out. He had a chance to play with his idols who recognized his obvious talent. I am glad JK got a chance to live his dream and that we now have the chance to see JM rippin it up nite after nite.

Billy can have his opinion, but he is no savant on the skins now - if he ever was.

Archived