Totally want to know what you guys think!

JenL1125

After Garcia died, I went to the first Furthur tour in 1997. It was hard for the band, the crew and the audience. I couldn't bring myself to go back again until 2009, after hearing continuously good reviews from fellow heads. I, for one, didn't really like it, and didn't have much of a desire to see that particular incarnation of the Dead again. I'm certainly not trying to open up that can of worms on this forum. I'm not even going to touch on my personal reasons why I didn't love it, although the show absolutely did have some high points that I thought were terrific. For those who love Furthur - wonderful! I'm thankful to have found DSO shortly after that particular concert.

ANYWAY...the day after the show I sent an email to a Philly DJ named Pierre Robert. Pierre is a HUGE Deadhead. He brought all their concerts to Philly live on air; he knows the band, the crew, etc. He still talks about them all the time. In my email I told him that I thought the boys should project holograms of Garcia playing different shows and just play with him! I thought that would be amazing, and I know I would much rather see him back on stage with them in that way then see what I had seen the previous evening. Well, Pierre never responded in any way, shape or form and I figured I was just blown off as some sort of nut, so I moved on.

Well, today I read that Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre closed out Coachella last night with a finale that brought down the house with them and a hologram of Tupac performing together! So I ask you, am I

a SUPER GENIUS?!!! Or a goof ball? I'm going with SUPER GENIUS!!!

Really, what do you guys think of the idea?

Ok, so no one's gonna touch this with a 10 ft pole. Either that, or no one's that interested. Well, I have good friends, but none who care much about the Dead, so I was hoping to chew on this with some of u folks, whether or not u agreed with me. Come on! Some one say something!

I can see how the complexity and depth of this concept could possibly be misinterpreted as cheesiness:) I can roll with that, for sure! But for just one or two songs? You wouldn't like to see him on stage again, just for that? We listen to all those live recordings all the time, and watch him play live in recorded concert footage. If that could just be projected onto the stage for few songs with band - you wouldn't care to see that? It would certainly be unsettling in some ways, but I think it would be amazing some ways as well. Thanks for your input!

• Forum MVP

I've read some reviews of the Tupac show, and they featured the words "creepy" and "amazing" in about equal measure, often in the same sentence. That about sums up my initial reaction to the notion.

The technology is incredible, no doubt. And to do it for a whole show would run the risk of ranging between something approaching morbid and a strong effort to play upon the wow factor for it's own sake. I'm not specifically referring to giving Jerry this treatment, as I believe this would be true for any late performer for whom there exists tapes of sufficient quality to render good credible holograms.

I also believe that doing this for whole shows would become tedious and/or limiting for the other members of the band - talk about recreations! I'm not sure that this would lend itself to the kind of spontaneity DSO offers, especially if you did it for a whole show. If you varied it up by different clips or projections from different shows, then I could see continuity issues.

I guess I sound more negative than I mean to be. The idea of doing it for selected songs at selected Furthur or whoever shows would indeed be way cool. They said when Tupac hit the stage "he" opened with "you all know who the fuck I am." Now if they had Jerry come out with that, that would be some awesome shit!

I love everything you said, Chuck. The more I think about this whole thing, the more I realize that I don't really know at all how I feel about it, yet before I was so sure. On the one hand, I would LOVE to hear the notes start dripping from Jerry's guitar, hear his lonesome voice open up a magnificent Stella Blue, and then look up to find him standing on the stage before me again. On the other hand, I'm a big believer in the idea that "you can't cross the same river twice". An event like that could most certainly be very beautiful and awesome, but the circumstances would have to be very specific. All of this just comes down to the fact that I miss seeing/hearing him. Life goes on and people have to move forward, but new technology opens up surprising opportunities that no one ever imagined before! This would be an interesting subject for a college philosophy or ethics paper.

Come to think of it, though - George Lucas thought of this in 1977!

I love everything you said, Chuck. The more I think about this whole thing, the more I realize that I don't really know at all how I feel about it, yet before I was so sure. On the one hand, I would LOVE to hear the notes start dripping from Jerry's guitar, hear his lonesome voice open up a magnificent Stella Blue, and then look up to find him standing on the stage before me again. On the other hand, I'm a big believer in the idea that "you can't cross the same river twice". An event like that could most certainly be very beautiful and awesome, but the circumstances would have to be very specific. All of this just comes down to the fact that I miss seeing/hearing him. Life goes on and people have to move forward, but new technology opens up surprising opportunities that no one ever imagined before! This would be an interesting subject for a college philosophy or ethics paper.

Come to think of it, though - George Lucas thought of this in 1977!

u got to let it go

• Forum MVP

Let the beauty, the joy and terror of Princess Leia's plea for Obi Wan Kenobi's help go? No way! That is a defining moment in American cinematography and modern mythmaking. Hold it tight and don't let go!

• Forum MVP

The movie is gonna be a kick ass good time this thurs !!!

OK, so it's two more days until Alpine's 2nd night show, so this is like the night before the first Alpine show and we're all driving along on some great highway heading for the lot, got to get through those Chicago toll booths or across the windy, desert plains, but tickets are in hand and the show is gonna happen in just a few more short glimpses of daylight followed by a night and then hopefully heading through the turnstiles, grabbing a beer at the beer garden, safe in the fold of the dead

• Forum MVP

OK, so it's two more days until Alpine's 2nd night show, so this is like the night before the first Alpine show and we're all driving along on some great highway heading for the lot, got to get through those Chicago toll booths or across the windy, desert plains, but tickets are in hand and the show is gonna happen in just a few more short glimpses of daylight followed by a night and then hopefully heading through the turnstiles, grabbing a beer at the beer garden, safe in the fold of the dead

I got goosebumps and tickets are in hand !!! :)

http://xfinity.comca...120418/b309702/

You may be on to something Jen...but let's not forget...... :headbang: .

:dsorocks:

I've enjoyed the Jackson 5 ever since I was a kid, and The Victory Tour in 1984 was my first concert ever, I'm proud to say. This 13 year old girl thought it was freakin' awesome! I am not at all surprised, however, that the Jackson family business machine would think to put Michael onstage with them for world tours. It just seems to be so much about the business with them. THAT does feel a bit creepy to me. If they actually do it, who knows what will follow. MJ in his own Cirque du Soleil show? As far as Garcia goes, Koons probably owns all the rights to his image anyway. The more I think about it, the more I don't like any of these public displays of deceased people. What people are able to do or not do in the privacy of their own homes down the road will be a very personal and individual choice, but trying to profit from people's emotions like this just feels gross. It seemed to me like it would be different somehow with the Dead, though. Anyway...

Rip, Levon Helm. Thank you for all the great music:)!

• Forum MVP

It's a terrible idea. It's Walt Disney in a psych ward; it's depression on steroids; it's a wax museum in a B movie. The Dead on stage were an unscripted, unpredictable event...a happening. Playing a hologram of Garcia is not only freakish but runs directly contrary to the original purpose. It's watching a videotape of yourself hugging your wife. Is it hugging your wife or is it a sadly distant depiction in an impersonal medium of an ecstatic moment of joy? Whatever it is, it ain't any part of hugging your wife.

It's a terrible idea. It's Walt Disney in a psych ward; it's depression on steroids; it's a wax museum in a B movie. The Dead on stage were an unscripted, unpredictable event...a happening. Playing a hologram of Garcia is not only freakish but runs directly contrary to the original purpose. It's watching a videotape of yourself hugging your wife. Is it hugging your wife or is it a sadly distant depiction in an impersonal medium of an ecstatic moment of joy? Whatever it is, it ain't any part of hugging your wife.

you have a terrific way with words! And you made a very good point about the beauty of the unpredictability of Dead shows, but I don't totally agree with you about people's personal use of this type of technology. That subject is depressing, but if it brings some people some type of joy, which surely it will, then that's good.

Yeah, yeah.I'm pretty much wishing I never started this thread at this point. The discussion really got me to think this through a lot better, and now I'm just doing a lot of back-peddling. I hate that. Goes against my personality.

Since Tupac's hologram has already been outed I would vote for the Core Four backing up a Tupac lead vocal on Shakedown Street...

A hologram of Garcia on stage all digital Audioed up may be the single worst idea I have ever heard in the history of live music.

No disrespect intended.

No disrespect taken. I'm no longer on the hunt for the super genius title. It wasn't a great idea, in hindsight. I'm dodging tomatoes over here! Oh, well!not the first off the wall thought i've ever had, and i hope its not the last:)

Archived