Furthur and DSO in LA on the same night, and Dylan the same month

busybeingborn

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I will say that because of the show on the same night we've planned something very special for the folks that do choose to come see us in LA. There will be a DSO first at this show!

Let the prognostications begin. Hmmmm :huh:

Rob-

Thanks for the input...really helps to hear the whole story from someone who is so deeply involved. Totally understand that you can't change the whole tour around. I plan on being there on Saturday night. As much pleasure and enjoyment as I've received from Phil/Bobby, etc. over the years, I can honestly say that I am more psyched up to see a DSO show than a Furthur concert. Just too bad that they are both on the same night. Keep on rockin'!!!

• Forum MVP

For the record we had our tour book with contracts signed well before Furthur announced. Even if we had not announced to the public. We actually went back to the El Rey and told them and their response was "we are cool with it". We couldn't change a whole tour because of this one show. We figured we'd take our lumps if that's what it comes to. I will say that because of the show on the same night we've planned something very special for the folks that do choose to come see us in LA. There will be a DSO first at this show!

Nice ...... :rolleyes:

• Forum MVP

I was guessing a JGB recreation although I don't see Eaton not singing lead on any tunes. I think I am leaning towards a <69.

how could they do a JGB recreation with a Rhythm guitar player? It wouldn't really be recreation and on top of that it wouldn't be a first.

I was thinking that a DSO first meant something more like pulling something out that they've never played before. Personally, I hope its jgb. As much as I LOVE hearing Rob rip into tunes, I only ever get to hear great jgb renditions when DSO plays them, and i'd love to see more added to their rotation.

Having Dylan show up would be pretty frickin' awesome, tho!

I was thinking that a DSO first meant something more like pulling something out that they've never played before. Personally, I hope its jgb. As much as I LOVE hearing Rob rip into tunes, I only ever get to hear great jgb renditions when DSO plays them, and i'd love to see more added to their rotation.

Having Dylan show up would be pretty frickin' awesome, tho!

no way Dylan ever plays with DSO

• Forum MVP

We've had this discussion before and a lot of us did stay at Jeff's first Gratefulfest instead of leaving for Furthur. THAT was a no brainer for those of us that stayed.

Its not about loyalty. Its not even about the venue comparison. What it is about is what we were talking about with Improvisational music.... DSO has it. Furthur is "controlled" on far too many levels (band doesn't pick set, this is Phil's band and he steers in musically) from fewer people than I would prefer. I feel DSO is actually a band with a group effort towards greatness whereas Furthur is just another band in a long chain of bands that the members of the Dead have kept going with and this IS GREAT because you get to hear each guys take on the music now,

but give me some good ol' grateful dead EVERY day of the week.

at the Ashekenaz here in Berkeley last night I spent a good deal of time talking about DSO and how they "do it for me" as opposed to other acts. also was plugging David Nelson Band, as they are my fave west coast act- its in the Improv.

when you talk loudly and proudly about DSO on the west coast you used to get REALLY freaky looks but you know, now its pretty damn friendly since Rob B came and played with Phil.

It's love again. maybe it never left and was just hidden. you don't ever know.

we might come to LA that weekend just to have the choice laid before us to choose in the moment. but we ALL know where mango and I would be

cause i'd rather be with YOU, dear DSO family and band.

they played like a road last night and I thought of penns landing and REALLY missed you guys.

when you get confused.......

It seems as though the Phil/Bobby combos are now more like a GD cover band and DSO is more like a flat out GD experience with the raw energy and unpredictability, the smaller venues just add a nice cozy, friendly quality with greater impact. Didn't realize Stu Allen was w/ Dylan now, his recent European shows sound better than ever and he seems to be playing more sound conscious venues and music halls.

Archived