Furthur and DSO in LA on the same night, and Dylan the same month

busybeingborn

• Forum MVP

Why should they let go? Love is real. I wouldn't stop loving my mom if she becomes a shell of herself. My real concern here is why care about how the others enjoy themselves. Some like coffee and some like tea but no one is excactly like me. Ha that ryhmed. I know velvet is out doing what she loves so this isnt really directed at anyone. Just don't understand the rain on others parades. Different strokes for different folks.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand that furthur can be very musically inconsistent and I'm sorry that you caught them on a night where it was not as good as you wanted it to be. I had that experience in Chicago at furthur. however the next night was stellar in Rochester hills. Vegas was an amazing show as well. I certainly wasn't pretending to have a great time.. at the end of the day its bob weir and Phil lesh and they were members of the grateful dead and they are why we are all here in this community. I think we should respect the way they are evolving as a new band. the grateful dead was evolving all the time. I don't think they deserve to get bashed like that. if its not your cup of tea then leave it alone.. don't go. but furthur can be a great band. I've seen it. yes they have their flaws but don't we all. I think sometimes we get spoiled by the consistent A+ game that dso brings every night. I think bobby and Phil have earned the right to do whatever they want up there on stage. they've been blessing us with music for decades. and like bix said, people must like what they hear if they keep selling out these big venues. this is just my opinion.. but I felt the need to respond and let you know that not everyone shared your experience and not everyone is pretending.

• Advisory Board

I doesn't matter who is playing the music, it's how they play-Amen!

100% agreed!!

I have friends that enjoy Bassnectar or Pretty lights.

Pretty Lights is fucking AWESOME!! I went to the Columbus show before The Jubilee and was BLOWN AWAY... I'm totally not into that style of music, but I went with an open (and clear) mind, and had a BLAST!

I understand that furthur can be very musically inconsistent and I'm sorry that you caught them on a night where it was not as good as you wanted it to be. I had that experience in Chicago at furthur. however the next night was stellar in Rochester hills. Vegas was an amazing show as well. I certainly wasn't pretending to have a great time.. at the end of the day its bob weir and Phil lesh and they were members of the grateful dead and they are why we are all here in this community. I think we should respect the way they are evolving as a new band. the grateful dead was evolving all the time. I don't think they deserve to get bashed like that. if its not your cup of tea then leave it alone.. don't go. but furthur can be a great band. I've seen it. yes they have their flaws but don't we all. I think sometimes we get spoiled by the consistent A+ game that dso brings every night. I think bobby and Phil have earned the right to do whatever they want up there on stage. they've been blessing us with music for decades. and like bix said, people must like what they hear if they keep selling out these big venues. this is just my opinion.. but I felt the need to respond and let you know that not everyone shared your experience and not everyone is pretending.

he (Weir) still didn't ('nt?) have the right to run me over on Coney Island

• Forum MVP

i even get jumped on the DSO boards for speaking my mind about furthur? remember when I was miss "i love furthur" and "i see each band equally"? I know ya'll are pretending to not remember but that's cool. and sure, it's cool to enjoy the scene and enjoy seeing phil and bob play with johnny but you know what i noticed? people are getting off on THAT, and when you get down to the nuts and bolts of the music and the pedal (we just reviewed the "highlights" of shoreline and it sounded the same as it did then, sad!) it was very disheartening and made me want to cry.

I gave STS9 a lot of my money once, bassnectar, too. i didn't even GO TO A FESTIVAL until I was 24 years old. I HATED THE GRATEFUL DEAD until I stumbled into this cover band called dark star orchestra at the insistence of true friends and my life has not been the same since. it wasn't the grateful dead that DID IT to me, and going to see the Dead and Furthur, while amazing like looking at dinosaur fossils is amazing (DUDES, that tarpit was COOOOOL! dire wolf!) I live in 2012 not 19whatever and today we can look at the living beast thriving and breathing and living and singing and dancing in the ritual of seasonal universal progression through the galaxies that gives us each a reason to DANCE and that beast is DSO.

the STUDENTS are SUPPOSED to surpass the MASTERS! DUH! it doesn't make the masters not the masters, just makes me want to go support the students that have devoted their lives to a cause that is more worthy than any of our individual egos or personas..... keeping the Grateful Dead ALIVE!

sorry I was harsh about the shoreline show, they REALLY disappointed me and made me question my own ears at other shows of theirs and I KNOW it is just because I have seen SO MANY EPIC DSO shows this year and have grown used to that caliber of musicianship where all the people are playing together for the fans like all our lives depended on it. but seriously, it made me sad to see my heroes (phil and bob and jk) up there on that stage playing that crappy show and everyone make EXCUSES for it (i used to, too) instead of LISTENING and just dancing because its the dead and the should not because it really MOVES them and if THAT moves them they should come see some REALLY MOVING music asap with an open mind. or not. i like dance space.

I don't know shit about the grateful dead, i wasn't there, ya'll. but i know a little something you won't ever know, and it is DSO. i got rhymes too, bro.

no one is jumping you steph. i think other people just have a different opinion than you. there is no "right" opinion here, we are all entitled to our own. some chose to go on further tour, some chose to go on dso tour, and others fall somewhere in between. if dso is your only thing, then thats okay. i think the problem i have is the overgeneralizations in some of your posts. it might have seemed to you that people were faking it, but maybe that was just your perception of what was happening. i certainly do not fake it at furthur shows i go to, nor do any of the friends i go with. i also have good ears and can hear good AND bad music when i hear it. i have admitted that sometimes furthur does not bring their A game, but i dont think a couple of bad shows here and there should get a sweeping stamp of disapproval. i dont dance JUST because of the musicians that are playing, furthur moves me just as much as dso can. just in different ways. furthur generally has a more quiet strength and beauty.

my parents were deadheads and i grew up with nothing but the dead blasting throughout the house. the grateful dead always did it for me. going to shows is like going to church. you could call it my religion. sometimes the sermon isnt as great as it could be, but i left getting what i needed. i found dso much later, maybe in like 2005 ( i was 18) and quickly latched on. they kill it every night with their raw, in your face, grateful dead perfection. and look at me now. i once quit my job so that i could go on dso tour when work wouldnt give me off. am i going to stop touring with dso bc phil and bobby are playing together again? no. but i will go pay my respects. just as i go see donna, mickey hart band, 7 walkers, etc. the grateful dead IS still alive, 6 of them! they count too. they're just dont all play together anymore, but they do keep the spirit alive. as does dso.

i dont think you should apologize for your review of the shoreline show, negative reviews and experiences happen. i just wanted to mention that not everyone shares your perception of faking it or whatever. i think rick said it well when he mentioned different strokes for different folks..

• Forum MVP

I remember when furthur first started; the advisory board decided to create an other bands section. This thread although involving are beloved dso appears more suited for discussion in that section of the board. The positive furthur excitemented needed its own place and the sharing of negative experiences shld probably be placed there as well.

Steph you've earned your opinion. You've done your time and paid your dues. Your opinion are well respected and with strong foundation. Your posts provoke thought and often elicit responses from those that disagree.

Some of your statements I simply disagree with or can't relate too. I saw you fake it for the wharf rats once. I couldn't even stand inside but you looked to enjoy yourself faking it or not. Ive managed to grow from that experience and i am much more likely to dance to gd acts not on the level of dso. Sometimes i even get lost in the inferior playing and get to that point beyond which you really can't fake.

I'm sorry you hated the grateful dead. We all have our own paths to take and no one can fault you for your opinion. My statement that gd recordings and some talk of ppl living a different way of life led me on this journey. For me, it was always about jerry garcia and the gd but primarily garcia. In my opinion, jk, jeff, stu, abear, or any other jerry guy hasnt even scratch the surface of the master. Recreating and creation are 2 vastly different things. My opinion doesn't make yours any less valid.

Do i agree with some of what you say? Yes, for sure. I think dso plays the music of the grateful dead at the highest level of any local or touring jerry band or gd act. I disagree that i or someone else would have to fake it to dance and get lost in inferior music. I do it routinely at splintered shows. At the end of day i like options and when the music is the highest priority dso is the only choice for me but sometimes other factors must be considered.

At the end of the day, if I had come to la, I would have without a doubt gone to see dso. I heard it was a great one.

I look forward to dso salt lake city and boulder. Then a real treat the rocky mountain gd revue. Where i suspect my ears will tell me the music is inferior but i will choose to dance w my heart and get lost in the love jerry, hunter, and the rest of the boys poured into the creation of what has become a dream life. Thanks to all who keep that spirit alive. Bands, crews, and fans. Love is real...

IMHO, JK, Abear, Stu, and any other guitarist ive heard don't even come close to what Jeff brings to the table. Honestly my ears tell me that Jeff has taken jams farther than Jerry has even in his prime and is the only guitarist ever to do that. Musicians evolve with their influences. Jerry was playing licks from his favorite musicians that influenced him, he just took it further than those influences of his. Thats what I feel Jeff does, with jerry being his biggest influence. To me, no other living guitarist can compare with the great Jeff Mattson.

"while amazing like looking at dinosaur fossils is amazing (DUDES, that tarpit was COOOOOL! dire wolf!) I live in 2012 not 19whatever..."

Ouch, kid. That comment made my lower back hurt. I'm gonna go sit in a bath of epsom salts and peruse my tv guide for the next episode of Cheers, all while sweetly reminicisng about the days when those gentle giants roamed the earth with their 4 fingered leader every spring, summer, and fall;)

• Forum MVP

sorry your back hurts, (i meant the music not them personally) so did mine after hearing what they gave me at shoreline. but DSO has me all recovered and ready for more. I did fake it at wharf rats, i KNEW i was faking it. i can def dance at an awful Dead event as long as we all know its awful, but seeing people ENJOY that GARBAGE made my soul sad. still does. sorry ya'll can't understand and still enjoy the scene and names enough to get off. sorry you missed el rey. i know my opinion is my own perspective and NO ONE else but Mango and Noah and Riley understand, but HEY that is why WE were the only ones that didn't even go to furthur lot cause we love what we love and we want it that way.

if you feel PERSONALLY insulted by what i said about the boys, that is your problem. they were great once, and now DSO is great. the wheel is turning. THANK GOODNESS!

if you grew up with the Dead you were blessed. i found it on my own through some real fucking crappy music out there and i am sorry i think furthur plays the same way for the same reasons as ALL those other crappy groups... whereas DSO has some real magic for me. JUST ME :) (and mango and noah and riley and all the people that don't even post anymore because of this crap lmao)

Personally, I'm with you as far as the Furthur thing goes. I went once in 1996, when they first tried it out, and then not again until 2009. I left half way through, and I feel no need to go back. That's after a fair number of years touring around with the Dead. Some of them were musically very good, but most of them were not the best for the Dead performance-wise. I ENJOYED THE HECK OUT OF ALL OF "EM, THOUGH!!! For me, quite frankly, Furthur blows, but I feel like whoever gets real enjoyment from it - that's awesome! Who am I to comment on someone else's experience or their interpretation of an event, musical or otherwise. I don't have to understand it, but I do want to try to respect it. You and I share the same feelings on this, but to each his own. Whatever. What I like about this forum is the opportunity to exchange ideas with somewhat like-minded people. I think that when we start telling each other what we can and cannot say or talk about, we're defeating it's purpose and putting out its light. Everybody has interesting points to make. We should be safe to talk to each other on here, as long as no one is being hurt. RickE, I don't think anyone can control where a thread leads. They take so many weird twists and turns sometimes. It might be kind of futile trying to redirect them to certain areas of the boards.

• Forum MVP

I wasn't trying to move the thread or discussion. Just pointing out the obvious hypocrisy of now allowing negative furthur talk in the general discussion section but when this whole furthur w jk thing started and positive excitement was flowing, enough of a stink was made to create another section on the boards. To be honest, I never saw a need for an other bands section then or now.

Im going to leave this alone. Some of the things said i just can't agree with but i don't have to. I have much love for those sharing their thoughts and really don't care to bicker back on forth when no one is going to change their stance. I, for one, believe Mozart or Bach to be the real genuis not those who now routinely play their music to perfection. When its all said and done, its all about jerry and hunter to me. I didn't get to see the gd and its still like that for me. I guess i choose to live in yesterday's tomorrows.

I guess my most important point here would be that nobody is right and nobody is wrong. Were all just doing what works for us. Saying jeff surpasses jerry sounds like blasphemy to me but its not wrong to feel that way; i just strongly disagree.

Time to leave it alone.

Long live the legacy of jerry garcia.

IMHO, JK, Abear, Stu, and any other guitarist ive heard don't even come close to what Jeff brings to the table. Honestly my ears tell me that Jeff has taken jams farther than Jerry has even in his prime and is the only guitarist ever to do that. Musicians evolve with their influences. Jerry was playing licks from his favorite musicians that influenced him, he just took it further than those influences of his. Thats what I feel Jeff does, with jerry being his biggest influence. To me, no other living guitarist can compare with the great Jeff Mattson.

Amen! At last it's been said!!! A very good Dead-friend and I have been saying exactly this since 1985, when we were first directed to the Volunteers- an early incarnation of the Tricksters. WIth Jeff, never did we question what we were hearing, we just wondered if other people were hearing it too. I consider myself extraordinarily fortunate to have been turned-on and tuned-in for so long---- his weekly gigs at the Right Track Inn and monthly gigs at The Wetlands---- my life has been immeasurably blessed by this musician's pure artistry, vision and outpouring of creative self.

I first saw the Dead at MSG in '83. From that very first show I understood immediately that the music they created (and adopted) was NOT a nostalgia trip. Their immediate lesson to me was that of the importance of being in THAT very moment..... and then THAT one...... and then THIS one......wait...wait......and now THIS one. For a decade I never had to worry about choosing between Jeff's band vs. GD on the same night in the same city, because you always knew that Jeff would be attending the GD shows!! Most important for me during those times was that Jeff helped me to appreciate the GD even more!! Yes we had our bootleg GD cassettes and yes I saw 150 live shows and yes the adventure was always there, but the music was always much more intimately alive, celebratory, theatrical and passionate when played live by Jeff and crews. This excitement and energy I brought with me to GD shows, which spun me back to Jeff, which I then took with me on tour, etc., etc. Not at all a wicked cycle. It was a good time, particularly in the times. My high school and college years were spent directly under the umbrella of the Reagan years. Remember those?? There was a clear "us vs. them" in those times, and if you were a part of the scene, it didn't matter which band you followed, you were a part of the "US". And being a part of the "us" meant that you did not "Just Say No".

Life took over and for 20 years now I've been a Dad and all that implies. My geographical location means that the opportunities to partake in our blessed community are few and far between. I happily attend any of the GD-iterations whenever they are in the neighborhood, and do so willingly, with dancing shoes on and an open heart. Do you remember how it felt post-Jerry??? The uncertainty??? Where was the scene going to go next?? Was there even going to be a scene?? I attend these shows not for nostalgia, but for the continued PRESENCE of the spirit, and to contribute to our community. I take no sides, it is all a positive to me---you know the synonymous bumpersticker, "A bad day fishing is better than a good day at.........."

But I will simply ask you, musically, and from the privacy of your own listening space, if you saw both a new Furthur show and a new DSO show were posted on archive at the same time, which one would you listen to first??""

Although I saw DSO with JK several times and listened whenever a new show was posted, I feel a part of the scene because of Jeff and Rob. This band's performance goals jive so completely with my hearing desires that I do indeed feel true bliss. This is a dream band! Now that I am an empty-nester my travelin' shoes are back on my feet more often, and this year I had the pleasure of the Birchmere, Statebridge and Santa Fe. As long as this line-up is together I am going to make sure I am a part of the experience as often as possible. Because at a DSO show, "no matter how much I give, and I give it my all, I leave with so much more".

Much peace, love and safe travels to you all---

See you on the dancefloor!!

• Forum MVP
Saying jeff surpasses jerry sounds like blasphemy...

Wow does it ever.

To be charitable, I'll assume such a comment stems from the power of live music one just witnessed vs. a decades old memory and/or tapes (on a boombox?). But nonetheless, charitable has its boundaries...

• Forum MVP

My high school years were spent under the Nixon regime. There was a war on then (participation in same not being voluntary if you were a man-child of a certain age), and I love pimento cheese. Try it with some crunchy peanut butter! Culinary bliss!

• Forum MVP

No, pimento cheese generally is based upon mild cheddar and (not to be facetious at all) pimentos of a non-spicy variety. Add mayo and sugar to taste. You certainly can make it hot; growing up during the LBJ ("how many kids did you kill today") we made it from scratch. Be careful with that cheese grater.

Now I just buy it at the store. Kroger brand is pretty good.

Archived