Cover Band?

JenL1125

I have very few pet peeves surrounding this band and my experiences with them thus far. I don't mind drunk people talking and enjoying their night their on way. It's a concert, and I expect it. Heck, sometimes I may even be doing it myself without realizing it. They don't even register in my brain once the music starts. If the dancing space is crowded, I usually just retreat to higher ground. What does bother me, though, is when people refer to DSO as a cover band, and say it with a degrading tone. I had the opportunity to meet Rob Eaton very briefly in the hotel bar after they played Harrisburg a few weeks ago and to thank him for the fabulous show. Moments later, I found myself outside in somewhat of heated debate with some guy over whether or not DSO was nothing more than a cover band. Actually, he was heated. I've seen cover bands. Splintered Sunlight is a bar band/cover band. Double Dose was another one back in the day. They are/were definitely good bands, but DSO is something different, something more. Just because a band didn't pen the lyrics and the music, does mean they should be forever labeled a cover band? That title diminshes the quality and the overall experience that the band produces, as well as the heart, soul and skill that goes into creating it. Is the Boston Symphony a cover band? Or the Mormon Tabernacle choir? The Three Tenors? All this tells me is that Hunter, Garcia, Barlow, and Weir wrote what will prove to be timeless masterpieces worthy of recreating. It takes magic to actually pull it off. Any thoughts?

I do not get offended if someone calls DSO a cover band and you won't find a bigger fan than me. On paper and by definition, with only a few exceptions, they cover songs exclusively written and/or performed by the Grateful Dead and members of the Grateful Dead.

But anyone who posts on this forum knows they are so much more than that and then some.

I certainly do not use words cover band, but if someone called DS0 the best band in history of contemporary rock music to cover and interpret the body of work of another group of artists.. well call it what you want...But I think that is what they are.....

I used to get offended myself about the whole "cover band" thing, but my husband brought up a good point that..... let people think of DSO as "just a cover band" and they won't get as inundated by fans and the extreme craziness as the Dead got in the last decade of their shows. I understand, it is very selfish of me (sorry guys and gal) but I love the small, intimate shows and nice vibe of the fans right now, the way it is. Dead shows became too frenzied from getting tix to getting and experiencing the show. Toppled port-a-johns and broken fences are no fun, not to mention the Dead not allowed to play certain places :( To us, DSO is the best band that plays Dead, Dylan, Johnny Cash, The Band, Beatles, Neil Young, Jefferson Airplane and many others. Thanks DSO for sharing your wonderful talent with us!!

Peace

• Forum MVP

Heck even the Grateful Dead played a lot of tunes that they had not written!

It doesn't bother me if someone else uses "cover band" for DSO, but that's certainly not how I see it. While they play music of the GD, I see all of this as some sort of strange, mystical hybrid of beauty being crafted and delivered at the finest level in dreamy intimate environs. More than anything, I just feel that we are very lucky to get to be around during this particular time and space for this particular band, no matter what you call it, or how we define it...

:)

Heck even the Grateful Dead played a lot of tunes that they had not written!

It doesn't bother me if someone else uses "cover band" for DSO, but that's certainly not how I see it. While they play music of the GD, I see all of this as some sort of strange, mystical hybrid of beauty being crafted and delivered at the finest level in dreamy intimate environs. More than anything, I just feel that we are very lucky to get to be around during this particular time and space for this particular band, no matter what you call it, or how we define it...

:)

I could not agree more, Island Bro, that we are indeed lucky to be here in the present to witness this incredible band work its magic night after night. It never ceases to amaze me, and each show I see just blows my mind in new and exciting ways. Cover band, tribute band, whatever people choose to call it, I will simply call it the best band at interpreting and delivering the music of the Grateful Dead as I enjoy hearing it.

• Forum MVP

Phil always told me Grateful Dead music should be music for repertory. DSO is the living embodiment of that concept. But, unlike a symphony orchestra which reproduces classical music note for note, we have the luxury by design of improvising the whole show. Mind you, you pay strict attention to thematic motifs and the like. The rest is completely our own creation.

It doesn't matter much what people call us. We play to experience the journey and for all those who are there for it!

I completely understand the frustration with peoples nature to want to clasify things..... But, like Rob said it really doesn't matter what you call the band. What matters is what you get out of the whole experience (The journey to the venue...the pre concert activities :D the anticipation of what show and tunes that might be played...finally the show, dancing and getting in a musical euphoria where nothing else matters)

I also like the idea of Repertory...If you really respect the music you should Perform it rather than going through the motions and just playing it....Every DSO show that I have been to I get the impression that every band member respects the music enjoys peforming for us...Thank you for that :dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

I think part of the stigma lies with the term "cover band" itself, which has taken on a pretty negative feel. And I am not sure I wouldn't agree if the cover band in question played something like Beatles arangements, and note-for-note (unless you are talking about the performance art of the Fab Faux or something of that nature). But in playing the Grateful Dead sets in the song arrangements and using the instrumental sounds that were utilized at the time of the original show, there are also a whole lot of other components there. First, I do not believe that anyone in DSO ever tries to play an exact copy of any solo, and second, there are so many jams! I believe that just about every member of DSO--fine musicians all--has said that they play the jams in the spirit of what made the GD themselves famous--collective improvisational jams. You just never know what's gonna happen! Third, the music of the GD just needs to be played--it is truly great music from any point of view. We all love these songs and there is a reason for that--they are great songs!

I don't see what the big deal is. A cover band is any band that plays another band's/musician's music. That is what DSO does. Same with the Grateful Dead for half their repertoire. Who cares? Cover band carries a bad connotation probably because there are many poor cover bands out there but the concept is the same. Call it what you want, they still play someone else's music and that should not take away from the perceived quality of it or talent of the band members.

• Forum MVP

This is a great conversation...it's interesting to hear everyone's perspective. As has been said around here before, there are MANY grateful dead cover bands out there across the land. What's different about DSO is not just that they are superb musicians that are exquisite at their craft, but there is some sort of unusual synchronicity within the band that is so hard to put my finger on...but it's what keeps me wanting MORE! It reminds me of the Neil Young lyrics,"Love is a rose, but you better not pick it, it only grows when it's on the vine,"

I (we?) want so bad to pick it, hold it, define it, KNOW it, but IT by nature simply doesn't allow for that...Live DSO grows such beauties!

I find a big difference in a tribute band to a cover band, To me a cover band is some one who takes the song and they dont give two fucks what they do to it EXE: splintered sunlight they take the songs do what they want with them it sounds like crap well this is to me, Dark star is a tribute band but they are also and orchestra: A large group of musicians who play together on various instruments, usually including strings, woodwinds, brass instruments, and percussion instruments. Orchestras play the music the way the composer wrote it.

• Forum MVP

Hehe. At one of the first festivals I went to as a deadhead selling my flower crowns, crystals and accessories, I was stopped by a couple in their late 40s who said they used to do the same to make it to the next show. I talked about DSO (I will put my deadhead "honor" on the line to be ridiculed every time cause I love this band and besides NOW a days it is respect that is given, not humiliation, which is what most of you got for YEARS for following this band!) and she said,

"I don't know, the Grateful Dead were the best cover band of all time..."

and I thought that was a pretty interesting statement.

DSO is the only band that does what they do. What shall we say, shall we call it by a name? Naaaaaaaah, why tarnish it?

Damn, this is some good stuff - where were you all when I was stuck talking to this guy? He said he plays with the band Slipknot, and that they write their own music, which, therefore, makes them superior to Dso because Dso is "just a cover band",etc. He went on and on. Me, being slightly inebriated at the time, only came up with "Dude, they're AWESOME! They made magic up there! Did you HEAR IT?!!!" Repeatedly. I don't think he found me to be a worthy adversary, 'cuz he seemed bored and slightly aggravated when he left :D.

:dsorocks: !!!!

Archived