This has probably been done before

gr8fulpair

• Forum MVP

I'm sure this has been done in one form or another, but oddly I think about this often while listening to Dead music. That is, what one song would you choose if told you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life? The reason I think about this is because I will often listen to a song and think "that was so flippin good I could listen to that over and over for the rest of my life". For me this decision comes down to a short list of songs that exploit the Dead's range while highlighting the diverse skills of each band member. My finalist include Terrapin, Dew, Wharfrat, Scarlet, Loser, Brokedown, Cumberland, Good Mornin Lil Schoolgirl, Dark Star, etc.

My choice would be Hard to Handle from the 4-27-71 Fillmore East shows (released as Ladies and Gentlemen). This song, for me is the perfect length (about 10 min.) and during that time takes the listener on a roller coaster ride of escalating jams that literally runs chills down my spine. While this song really highlights Bill K beating the shit out of the drums, Phil dropping raw bombs, Bobby strummin like a somebitch, it absolutely drips Pig Pen blues and sizzles with some of Jerry's best work IMHO. Jerry's lead in this version peaks about 5 times and is some of the most fluid stuff I've ever heard from him. I'm sure I've yet to hear a version of another song that will make me change my mind, but that's the fun of listening.

So, what say ye?

• Forum MVP

Great submissions Chris! Terrapin, Wharf Rat, and Stella Blue are my finalists. I have decided to count Scarlet > Fire as 1 song and would be my choice for the perpetual loop. So many twists and turns with certain scales and chord progressions that compliment one another ever so perfectly.

I freaking dig the Hard to Handle from 4.29.71. I really want to give the nod to 8.6.71 (Hollywood Paladium) save for the fact that Pig doesn't shine on this to the level of his mates. He is obviously not feelin so hot as the coming months would ultimately confirm.

Here Comes Sunshine - first track on Dick's Picks 1, November (I think) 73. I will never get tired of listening to that track, and I pretty much have to play it every time it pops into my head. Great harmonies, great weaving instrumental lines, great band dynamics and tight transitions, and hope in the face of hopelessness in the lyrics. Other 73 versions are almost as good but I've yet to hear a better one.

I've chosen to block the 1995 version out of my head entirely. It's just plain sad to hear how bad they were.

• Forum MVP

Here Comes Sunshine - first track on Dick's Picks 1, November (I think) 73......I've chosen to block the 1995 version out of my head entirely. It's just plain sad to hear how bad they were.

Rusty, try 12/13/92, a respectable "modern" Sunshine (and by all means continue to pretend that '95 didn't exist). Just don't listen to a '73 version 1st! My favorite, however, is 12/6/73 Cleveland. I much prefer that to the Dick's Volume I, which is Tampa 12/19/73.

• Forum MVP

Does it have to be one VERSION of the song or just one song? I think that would make a huge difference.

I'd say no doesn't have to be a single version, but I'd want to specify due to the evolution of some songs working out better than other songs. In that Hard to Handle that I chose Jerry's guitar work is unlike anything I've ever heard him play. For me it is absolute euphoria. I enjoy that tune regardless, but if I could not specify that particular version I'd choose a different song.

• Forum MVP

Here Comes Sunshine - first track on Dick's Picks 1, November (I think) 73. I will never get tired of listening to that track, and I pretty much have to play it every time it pops into my head. Great harmonies, great weaving instrumental lines, great band dynamics and tight transitions, and hope in the face of hopelessness in the lyrics. Other 73 versions are almost as good but I've yet to hear a better one.

I've chosen to block the 1995 version out of my head entirely. It's just plain sad to hear how bad they were.

OMG I burned that CD up lol. It was like the 1st new released live show CD in forever. I remember jamming that CD in 1996 at the Furthur fest at Glowood campground near Deer Creek. And it also brought back memories of 95 at Deer Creek where they opened with it after all the rain in Pittsburgh and then the gate crashers busted in and the house lights were glaring in our faces the whole 2nd set :/. With the cops using tear gas, we saw people running in with like white powder all over them. I was convinced we were being invaded by a weird cult or something of super pale people. It was a very strange night. Thats my Here comes sunshine memory :P

I like all your guys's choices. I think if I really had to I'd go with Mississippi 1/2 Step from September 3, 1977 in Englishtown, NJ. This version is off of Dick's Picks Vol. 15. It brings me to tears of joy every time.

That Hard to Handle (04-27-1971) is out of control! The dead really bring the fire on that one. Pigpen full force, reminds me of other great moments of his, which there are many, such as the Lovelight from Hollywood Palladium 08-06-1971.

Picking one song isn't for me. I can't do it. A 30 minute+ Dark Star seems practical though.

Two specific versions already mentioned are two of my favorites.

That Here Comes Sunshine from 12/19/73 is special. If you love Here Comes Sunshine and you haven't heard this version, drop everything and get it. NOW!! I compare all Here Come Sunshine's to that one and I believe they always come up a bit short. John A, I will give that 12/6/73 a listen with as open a mind as I can. I hope it beats the champ.

The other is Hard to Handle. The 4-27-71 I just downloaded so I will get back to you on that. It sounds good, and very much like my favorite 8/6/71. Jerry's solo from 8/6/71 gives me goose bumps and a big smile everytime. I just realized I only have the audience version from Fallout From the Phil Zone. The board of that should be out there cause it would be a part of the missing houseboat tapes. I want it now.

No Eyes lovers out there huh?

I just hit the repeat button on Eyes from DSO's show at the Fillmore in Oct with Phil....Loooooove it

I love Eyes. It is up there in the top 10 probably. I agree with you on the Winterland 1974 version, it is divine. I might like August 6th, 1974 at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, although truthfully any version from '73/'74 will bliss me out. The song brings such peace and comfort. My friend just got a tattoo with the Cassidy lyrics "let your life proceed by it's own design;" I always thought if I were to get a tattoo of lyrics it would be "sometimes we live no particular way but our own."

Archived