Weir walks off stage due to chatty crowd

John A

• Forum MVP

I tried all morning to find the video, as it seemed to be ereased.  Hope The link above works.    GUYS-------the worse is when you are dancing, and some dude and his chic stand right were you are dancing, and start talking on their cell phones!!  This happened at 930 club to me.  Hard enough to dance, let alone some snazzy boot up chic who is there for no other reason than to go out stands in your way between groovin to tunes, and just standing with a little bit of sway. 

Yea, I admit, I accidently bumbed the phone right out of her hand, and apologized to the boyfriend.   Lucky, my eyes deter many, but in this day in age you never know, so always polite and nice!!!

Bobby....  I have bashed you many, on different levels, but GOOD FOR FUCKING YOU!!!!!!

Shut up and dance.  I get talking in between tunes, wow, what a great jam, or something else, but shut the fuck up!!     I got to the Louve, and I get to look at art with some sort of silence.  YOu been there, you know!!!    This is for visual media, fuck, Bobby, I would bouncer that shit for you, or at least say a bad word or two to the jackasses not digging the tunes.

Fuck.....how much Bobby is there left?  Yea, I agree above, new found respect, and I took the day thinking about it!!!   Dont buy a ticket unless your there to enjoy the art.  YEA----I am a ELITIEST!!!!!    When it comes to this shit!!!

Thank God Bobby. Two Thumbs Up. Talking Loud whistling and yelling all through the show gets on my nerves. Usually Drunk or on X. You can be drunk and on X and not act dumb. Joseph gets alot of shi... on the forums but at least he gets the drunks to shut up. Shut Up and DANCE. Yea Bobby......   

I tried all morning to find the video, as it seemed to be ereased. Hope The link above works.

Looks like we can't post YouTube videos on this site anymore. I tried a few times to post the video of "Knockin On Heaven's Door" on this thread with no luck. I tried posting just the url of the video from YouTube on this thread as well, that doesn't work either. During the song, Bobby tells "the show talkers" to STFU and he also says during the song "You geezers don't get it, do ya?!"

Here's the title of the video on YouTube: Knockin On Heaven's Door- Bob Weir Quartet live stream strum along- March 4,2013

I havent seen the video but my first reaction to this story was damn Boobie, why you gettin your beans all up over your franks? Its A BAR, where people like to meet and greet. Some Dead family never see each other except at a show, and you know some of Bobby's tunes makes you go get a beer (although Estimated , Stranger and Sailor /saint is bad ass). I cherish the man and the legacy he upholds but there is a fence post on this one to me. I think the acoustics in Sweetwater must be resonant and he was getting some reflection. I know the chatty fucks that ruin so many tapers and the drunken droolers spittin bad breath when uncle johns get played but......its a bar. He has not played a bar like that since ........???   I appreciate his compassion for this music and I myself am a musician that plays acoustic gigs from extra cash outside the band. Its a weak gig. It doesnt demand your attention like say.......DSO live at the Fillmore. There are very few people who can cast the light from a single guitar and take you on a ride. And yes, Jerry was one of those cats.  Here is one without John 

Its allllllgood Bobbie, all those tours with packed arenas, screaming hippie chicks and worshipers still love ya man, just take a step back pumpkin...

ohh, so we cant post links....well go check out 4-10-82

• Forum MVP

I havent seen the video but my first reaction to this story was damn Boobie, why you gettin your beans all up over your franks? Its A BAR, where people like to meet and greet. Some Dead family never see each other except at a show, and you know some of Bobby's tunes makes you go get a beer (although Estimated , Stranger and Sailor /saint is bad ass). I cherish the man and the legacy he upholds but there is a fence post on this one to me. I think the acoustics in Sweetwater must be resonant and he was getting some reflection. I know the chatty fucks that ruin so many tapers and the drunken droolers spittin bad breath when uncle johns get played but......its a bar. He has not played a bar like that since ........???   I appreciate his compassion for this music and I myself am a musician that plays acoustic gigs from extra cash outside the band. Its a weak gig. It doesnt demand your attention like say.......DSO live at the Fillmore. There are very few people who can cast the light from a single guitar and take you on a ride. And yes, Jerry was one of those cats.  Here is one without John 

People were talking like crazy during the DSO filmore shows. And sweetwater may be a bar, but it's his bar, and one that you pay significant money to get into to see shows. So it's not like it's 'just some bar'.

People talkin at the Filmore was fine with me and just my point exactly. There is always chatter at a show.  At an acoustic show there is obviously no wall of sound to hide behind. Its not "his" bar, he is part owner and regardless, thats the one place he should be laid back and cool. I mean most of the tunes he played that night were other peoples tunes.  I admit its easier to be bitter (especially the older we get)  I would have given him props if he made a joke out of it and embarassed their ass that way instead of gettin his capri's all in a knot.

Either way, he at least came back out with a Jerry tune . He could have punked em all and just left .  

People talkin at the Filmore was fine with me and just my point exactly. There is always chatter at a show.  At an acoustic show there is obviously no wall of sound to hide behind. Its not "his" bar, he is part owner and regardless, thats the one place he should be laid back and cool. I mean most of the tunes he played that night were other peoples tunes.  I admit its easier to be bitter (especially the older we get)  I would have given him props if he made a joke out of it and embarassed their ass that way instead of gettin his capri's all in a knot.

Either way, he at least came back out with a Jerry tune . He could have punked em all and just left .  

From my point of view (as opposed to Bobbie's), when I pay good money to see an artist, I want to hear the artist, not the conversation of the people next or behind me.  A goog rule of thumb is if you have to talk above the music to be heard by you friends, then put a lid on it. 

• Forum MVP

He may be getting a little cranky at his age ... but he's Bob Weir ... so I'm cool with these little things he may do from time to time ... just hang in there with us as long as you can , Bobby !!! :wub:

• Forum MVP

I'm sorry but I can't help but feel that if you want to talk the whole show that you must not like this music very much.  The fact is, a lot of the time you catch someone chatting during the show it may be the only time they talked all show....so it's tough to start calling people out. Talk before the show, during setbreak, or if you have to between songs. It's one thing to turn to your friend and say, 'that was sick!!' and it's another to engage in discussion about your coworker drama etc. I think he had every right to get upset about it. Frankly, I don't understand your attitude concerning it. Bobby is definitely laid back and cool practically all the time there. Additionally he made several comments before leaving the stage. People are ignorant and disrespectful. Have enough money to dish out for sweetwater shows and buy drinks no doubt but not enough presence of mind to enjoy the music. What difference does it make whose songs he is playing??? the grateful dead played MANY covers. "there is always chatter at shows"...A. Not even true...B. so that makes it okay to engage in that behavior?

Come on, Man.

persoanaly im glad bobby made a stand. id get pissed too if i was so passionate about something i was trying to share with others and they chose to talk and not pay attention. the "talker debate/conversation" will never end as we all choose to experience things differently. ill go ahead and say that nothing bothers me more than loud talkers at shows when it gets in the way of MY experience and ME being able to hear the music. ive made more than my share of comments to talkers at shows and have gotten the full spectrum of responses, some have respectfully understood and stopped talking or moved, while some, like this chick at the nokia, got angry and tried to punch me. i applaude bobby. i also know that i avoid talker shows like the 930 club etc and will most likely never go to a sweetwater show. the crossroads can be the same way sometimes, however i just cant say no to dso playing with phil on my birthday.

one day i want to be rich enough where i can afford to regularly have dso play for just me and my friends :)

a girl can dream...

• Forum MVP

3"Speak you who are older, for it is your right, but with accurate knowledge, and do not interrupt the music." 4"Where there is entertainment, do not pour out talk; do not display your cleverness at the wrong time." 

Sirach 32:3,4

It has been commanded of you by the Holy Father, shut your mouth and dance.....

• Forum MVP

It's funny b/c I would think that accoustic shows would have more talkers, but Bloomington was an absolutely amazing crowd but the following St. Louis show had so many idiots that wouldnt STFU.  You couldnt focus on the jams with them yapping so loud.  Many were turned around half the show talking to people behind them.  Pissed me off.  Wish the band would once in a while say shut the fuck up for the ones that dont want to hear chatter.  Im guessing they would get a huge round of applause!

What difference does it make whose songs he is playing??? the grateful dead played MANY covers. "there is always chatter at shows"...A. Not even true...B. so that makes it okay to engage in that behavior?

Come on, Man.

The difference to me was that it wasnt Neil Young playing Pocahontas in a theater with chairs. It was Bobby jammin some tunes in a bar. And yes, I am well aware of GD cover tunes sir/madam .  A- your saying people dont talk at shows?  B - I wasnt there and I am sure they weren't doing it to piss Bobby off, but when you go diva on a people like that it kinda puts you in the same behavior category.  I agree that they were idiots for disrupting the whole show, Im not trying to stick up for that and come on man, I dont have an attitude here. We are jivin around the kitchen table right?  I dont have time to talk during a show cause Im singing and dancing, even at an acoustic show. I just wish the anger wouldnt have got him so bad. It happens, we are human. Sometimes we just need to take a step back. Bobby gets the love, its all gravy maing !!! 

Archived