To Gun nuts and/or Gun Owners

Herdygerdy

maybe , fertilizer , diesel fuel and truck rentals should be banned , also ...  a certain nut case proved not so long ago ,  that you don't need assault weapons to cause a ruckus ...

this is my last legitimate post in this thread , the rest will have absolutely no meaning to the thread and will be riddled with  sarcasm  !!!

:dsorocks: 

From San Antonio Express News - On Line

"

Harmon Chester Strunk Jr. recently got sentenced to 10 years in prison in South Texas for selling a weapon to a felon and selling without a license, two separate charges.

If you are selling guns for your livelihood, you are required to be licensed. If you are a licensed gun dealer, you are obligated to do a background check on buyers.

Here's a question: What if Strunk were deemed a hobbyist, private owner or collector simply selling from his collection. Would that felon he sold to be any more worthy of gun ownership under the law or in other practical terms? What if the buyer was someone judged mentally unfit to own a gun?

Lawmakers have credibly deemed both categories of people to be too high risk for gun ownership. And yet both can buy from private unlicensed sellers without a background check.

Ignorance is bliss for the seller pocketing the money. As long as the seller doesn't know of disqualifying conditions, he has broken no law.

"

If I am not mistaken the right of the private gun owner hobbyist, to sell their guns without background checks is hard fought for by the "gun lobby".  Makes no sense to me and illustrates the need for level headed people to come up with rational guidelines governing gun ownership 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I think guns are pretty fun to shoot under the appropriate circumstances, but I guess I'd just assume they weren't around. I think that people that want to kill people will figure out how to do it one way or another. Guns just happen to be easier than hand grenades, swords, spears or Japanese throwing stars and we make 'em easy to get. 

Here is the Second Amendment As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.    
 High Lights mine.       For all of you second amendmenters. What militia do you belong to? Who do you report to and who is your commanding officer? How often does your militia get together?
That is the way I read the 2nd. Besides we didn't have a standing army at the time so guns were needed and they were muskets. 
I'm a Nam Vet, When in landed in country we were given and M16 and a sidearm, mine was a 45. All they are for is to kill people, so I don't why we need guns like those. 

Some posters have said they they bought an AR or Glock for protection. I have asked 100's of people if they ever had to use a firearm to protect themselves or family or if they know of anyone that has had to use a firearm for protection. So far none.  I get the story that they know someone who knows someone who knows someone that had to use a firearm for protection. Kinda like playing telephone.

Besides what are you scared of? 

I don't see anything wrong with rifles or shotguns, just not firearms that their sole purpose is to KILL PEOPLE

Here are some pictures of the types of firearms used when the second amendment was signed. Just a little different than a Bushmaster. I don't think the framers had AR's in mind when they wrote it. Try drive by shooting with these. Better yet drive by muskballing
The-new-guns.jpg

Thank you Gary. Thomas Jefferson was a wise man. Is it from each other that we need protection?

"Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established, should not be changed for light and transient causes; and, accordingly, all experience [has] shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But, when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce [the people] under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security."

I am grateful to be alive in America but there are many that suffer the threat of having their freedom taken away or other infringements on their pursuit of happiness in the name of "just law" Martin Luther King said that "just law" was in accordance with common moral code or the laws of god. There are people alive (I won't call it living) in America hungry and dying from lack of proper medical treatment while laws and lobbying keep the current hierarchy of those that have and those that don't have in check. Yes there is a middle class that greases and finances the wheel that is out of balance.

Many times in my past and present I have asked myself from whom or what do I need protection. (No I am not paranoid.)

• Forum MVP

I think they should be careful of Roy and Carolina in round 2. I keep a 30" long 23 oz. aluminum baseball bat next to my bed. I haven't had to use it yet, but it helps me feel safe at night.

How about them Jayhawks

I think they should be careful of Roy and Carolina in round 2. I keep a 30" long 23 oz. aluminum baseball bat next to my bed. I haven't had to use it yet, but it helps me feel safe at night.

How about them Jayhawks

How about them Jayhawks

>

How about them Jayhawks

r u saying they're going to beat them twice? :)

Easy now! Do we need Bat Control?

Actually, Once upon a time, in my (Wild & Reckless) youth, I was arrested for having a baseball bat in my car. I was charged with carrying an UNconcealed weapon!  Didn't matter that I also had a baseball and glove.

• Forum MVP

Easy now! Do we need Bat Control?

Actually, Once upon a time, in my (Wild & Reckless) youth, I was arrested for having a baseball bat in my car. I was charged with carrying an UNconcealed weapon!  Didn't matter that I also had a baseball and glove.

Theres no way that held up?

• Forum MVP

Here is the Second Amendment As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A
well regulated militia
being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.    
 High Lights mine.       For all of you second amendmenters. What militia do you belong to? Who do you report to and who is your commanding officer? How often does your militia get together?
That is the way I read the 2nd. Besides we didn't have a standing army at the time so guns were needed and they were muskets. 

I'm a Nam Vet, When in landed in country we were given and M16 and a sidearm, mine was a 45. All they are for is to kill people, so I don't why we need guns like those. 

Some posters have said they they bought an AR or Glock for protection. I have asked 100's of people if they ever had to use a firearm to protect themselves or family or if they know of anyone that has had to use a firearm for protection. So far none.  I get the story that they know someone who knows someone who knows someone that had to use a firearm for protection. Kinda like playing telephone.

Besides what are you scared of? 

I don't see anything wrong with rifles or shotguns, just not firearms that their sole purpose is to KILL PEOPLE

Here are some pictures of the types of firearms used when the second amendment was signed. Just a little different than a Bushmaster. I don't think the framers had AR's in mind when they wrote it. Try drive by shooting with these. Better yet drive by muskballing
The-new-guns.jpg

I was actually in VA millitia for 6 years.  Its callend the Virginia National Guard.   The Govenor of Virginia was my and in some ways still my Commander in Cheif!!   Just cause you leave the military does not mean they can not reactivate you in time of National need!!

But yes, I did join a State Militia, for I was more of a patriot of my State than I was of my country at the time.   Still do not care for much for the feds.    

As fare as what the framers envisioned--sure, they envisioned a growing and evolving society.  That is why the gave the Feds the power to ad additional ammedments to the constituion.   If I am not mistaking, the bill of rights can be altered by 2/3rds ratification in both houses, and than it goes down to the states for another 2/3rds approval.  If that goes through, it goes to the Presidents desk, and the Constitution is ammended!!   

When the majority of the country believes as some of you, than there are means to repeal what the Framers thought so very important!!

Been a while since Constitutional law class, but I think thats how it works!!

Good point Sun 1869 I believe a 2/3 vote is needed for ratification according to parliamentary procedure.

"As fare as what the framers envisioned--sure, they envisioned a growing and evolving society.  That is why the gave the Feds the power to ad additional ammedments to the constituion.   If I am not mistaking, the bill of rights can be altered by 2/3rds ratification in both houses, and than it goes down to the states for another 2/3rds approval.  If that goes through, it goes to the Presidents desk, and the Constitution is ammended!!   

When the majority of the country believes as some of you, than there are means to repeal what the Framers thought so very important!!

Been a while since Constitutional law class, but I think thats how it works!!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually don't believe in our democatic process as it stands today. When politicians work for the common good of their people instead of the political and financial ambitions of themselves true democracy will be attained.

• Forum MVP

Good point Sun 1869 I believe a 2/3 vote is needed for ratification according to parliamentary procedure.

I actually don't believe in our democatic process as it stands today. When politicians work for the common good of their people instead of the political and financial ambitions of themselves true democracy will be attained.

My Friend, I think you make a more valid, legitimate, and more realistic point.  I too am very disheartened by our political landscape!!  But I still have some hope. 

I pulled this from a blog I frequent

The 1800's Wild West Had Stricter Gun Control Than We Have Today.

-snip- 

Today’s anti gun control forces count their strongest support among society’s leaders from the states that once formed part of the Old West. The actual Old West pioneers of historical fact viewed matters differently, however. They would certainly hail the campaign to protect an American right to bear arms, but the record puts them behind "moderate, common-sense measures" for gun control -- 

-snip- 

Pioneer publications show Old West leaders repeatedly arguing in favor of gun control. City leaders in the old cattle towns knew from experience what some Americans today don't want to believe: a town which allows easy access to guns invites trouble. 

What these cow town leaders saw intimately in their day-to-day association with guns is that more guns in more places caused not greater safety, but greater death in an already dangerous wilderness. 

By the 1880s many in the west were fed up with gun violence. Gun control, they contended, was absolutely essential, and the remedy advocated usually was usually no less than a total ban on pistol-packing. 

The rest: http://www.ndsu.edu/pubweb/~rcollins/scholarship/guns.html 

other source: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/23/nation/la-na-tombstone-20110123 
---------------------------------------------- 

It's kind of comical to think that even back then townspeople would have loved the 2nd Amendment so much they wouldn't have minded bullets flying around, dead children & family members being killed. Because love & wanting to live are 21st century concepts I guess? 

Other articles state that guns were banned in public and in many towns you had to hand over your guns before entering. There would literally be a line in the sand you couldn't cross with a gun.

Archived