Ogden Theater Denver 3/30/13

jimsulli1010

• Forum MVP

3/30/13

Saturday's show at the Ogden Theatre would be the culmination of a great 3 day run of shows with the DSO and some very dear friends here in Colorado.  I am so glad some of you made the trip out.  The first two shows were solid efforts, but I would certainly argue that tonight's show was the best of the run.

Minglewood Blues
They Love Each Other
Cassidy
Dire Wolf
Looks Like Rain
Brown Eyed Women
Lazy Lightnin' 
Supplication
Sugaree 
Music

Samson and Deliah
Scarlett Begonias
Fire on the Mountain
Estimated Prophet
He's Gone
Truckin'
drums
Terrapin Station
Around and Around

Casy Jones

• Forum MVP

Ok... Recovery mostly complete. This show was a thrill and a half from start to finish. They played hard and the crowd reciprocated and it went on and on and on....

So great! This was my favorite of the run when I reflect on the big picture but moments like makes no difference, Russian lullaby (my buddy talked about Rob B in lullaby all sat night and sunday! I still get chills remembering Rob E presenting makes no difference...) and WRS were all standouts in my mind. Tour opening w eyes and opening 2nd set w wheel palm Sunday will also remain distinct in my memory because they play so gosh darn well!

This recreation was one I am sad my boyfriend had to miss bc his fave number is 1009 and he has a shining to shows from that day... His loss! He promised to cone with me all weekend for the mish and statebridge, so it'll all roll into one soon enough.

The place was sloppy and crowded w a long line, so different from the majestic theatres we had the nights before. That made this particular show all the more appropriate and no one was wishing they were anywhere else.

Always grateful for such a twirling and whirling lazy lightning and my supplication was answered time and again by the band's refusal to release my mind. The drumming was exceptional this night and I often coudnt pull my attention from that nonstop relentless duo.

Mmmmmm sugaree! Really wanted to hear that one and the really drunk guy singing it in my ear at the highest possible volume didn't even bother me bc it seemed appropriate. Shake it up now!

Samson took the break right out of our minds and by scarlet I could see fire on the mtn and I have to say it was one of my favorite transitions bc the whole.show was just so um, electric, hehe, that when they dripped and stretched through this transition it seemed extra incredible! So good! Fire was particularly groovy and to get he's gone and terrapin in the same show was 77 at its finest stereotype. Not to dismiss estimated, with all the longing and cynical moods coming to life through their instruments. Wow!!!!

Lisa really grabbed the crowd in scarlet and many other times throughout the night. I feel blessed to have had her in the stage all three nights of this run.

Grateful for a splendidly serendipitous weekend with all of you and I am eager for the shows here this summer. Jubilee may not be doable if I can just swing DSO high but who knows? Never can tell

I'm back in Buffalo after a very special trip to Colorado. I've only been to the state once before and almost forgot how beautiful the place is. Sadly I'm short on time with pilling school work, but I'd like to at least right down some of my thoughts on this fantastic 3 show run I got to experience. I apologize for my consolidated review, but like a said I'm sadly short on time. Hopefully this won't be the case anymore after I graduate in May.

Beaver Creek: Really cool venue! Honestly might be one of my favorite indoor venues I've been to, next to Penn's Peak and the Paramount in Huntington I really enjoyed too. The combination of top notch sound and space to dance will always win my seal of hearty approval. Staff was very kind too, and I did get to see that one usher really grooving out down below; she put a nice smile on my face that night. I was talking to Chuck before the show began and he mention how he began seeing the dead in 73', so when the show started off with Eyes I saw the look of pure joy on Chuck's face and it put me in a very great mindset the rest of the night. I thought the Eyes that night was very unique and I hope to be able to listen to this version again someday for it had such wonderful ebb and flow. I wonder if others happened to find the Eyes that night unique in its composition? Other highlights for me were Stop That Train, I've always always always wanted to hear this song performed and am so very grateful I got to experience it. Peter Tosh (although he didn't originally write that song he helped make it popular with his fantastic rendition) was a great man to me. I read more into the Rastafari movement during that time and I've gained great respect for what they were trying to do, and so I truly mourn over Peter Tosh's murder. Other highlights for me had to be Loose Lucy, The Wheel>Palm Sunday>Cats Under the Stars and Help>Slip>Franklin's>Visions. People got a little weirded out by the drums/space, but I feel that happens often. I still enjoyed it quite a bit. Thanks DSO for daring to take it out there!

Aspen: Pretty cool venue. Not a favorite for minor reasons, but definitely still made for a great time. Wow it was really awesome just in how many songs they played! Have they ever played more songs in a single night before? Got to hear some great songs I wasn't familiar with. Highlights of the show would be: FOTD, Rosa Lee Mcfall, I Shall Be Released, Strange Man (Yes Lisa!!!), Jack-a-Roe, I've Been All Around This World, It Makes No Difference, Okie From Muskogee, the two Mother McCree's songs, Monkey and the Engineer, Russian Lullaby, Talkin' Money Tree, Ripple, UJB. Definitely the most ritzy crowd I've ever experienced at a DSO show, but they eventually got grooving. In my eyes there is nothing at all wrong with being wealthy, they just are a little timid when it comes to letting loose, which is understandable considering the social environments they have probably been ingrained in most of their lives. For my first acoustic show I can see now why others favor the electric shows. I guess the only thing I like about acoustic shows is you get some good banter from the stage. Thanks for giving me some good laughs you guys. I always love the banter from Jerry and the boys back in the day in the old acoustic recordings, additionally I always thought Jerry brought some serious fire and soulful playing when it came to the acoustic shows; I find those recordings very cathartic.

Denver: Alright so I must confess. I love 76-78 set lists, and I've noticed DSO has a bit of affinity for them, which I can understand because they are wonderful set lists and the cover a lot of crowd favorites. I feel you can have safety in playing a 76-78 set list, where as 60s dead may scare some people and 80s/90s dead is not loved by all (although I personally do really enjoy 80s and 90s). This is my assumption, but maybe the band themselves have very different reasons? Either way although the majority of the recreation shows I've seen have had 76-78 set lists, I really enjoy it when DSO really nails it, and tonight they certainly did. Highlights would be: New Minglewood Blues (I've really grown to enjoy this song), Lazy Lightin'>Supplication, Sugaree (like this song; find it hard to dance to; hear it it ton, but they just did such a great job I thought and it got me groovin'), Music Never Stopped, all of second set. Oh let me not forget to mention one of the best parts of the night! Okay so up in the balcony where Chuck, Jenna, Rick, and my good friend Mitch were dancing there were these awesome fans blowing to keep us cool! Great idea Jenna to ask if we could turn on that other one; I really do wish we could bring those every venue we dance! Oh and the bartenders were so nice too! They kept giving us free waters and probably thought we were a little weird, but they seemed to be very cool with our strange dancing about. I appreciated their kind gesture so very much.

All in all: Got to do some awesome hiking all throughout this beautiful state and saw some fantastic shows. Personal notes: thank you once again DSO, and thank you Rick and Jenna for everything. I hope you found the note I left on your fridge. It was great to meet you Chuck and dance with you at the shows, you are a very intelligent and insightful individual. Supplicated Velvet Thunder, although we didn't properly get to meet and chat I hope that I get the chance to talk with you someday down the road. Really looking forward to the upcoming shows in May I'll be at. Apologies for any poor grammer, but I gotta run. So long everyone.

• Forum MVP

Thanks Mike,

That's a heck of a review for being tight on time!

When you referred to the awesome fans blowing to cool you off, at first I thought you meant dso fans (people) were standing around you guys and trying to blow the air to cool you off,,,and I thought wow that is kind of them however futile it may be,,,but then it hit me what you meant by fans....heh, heh, heh (that was a funny image in my head at first!)

Archived