Is it Rude to tell talkers to shut up?

Some chick is on a cell phone?  What?  , But I laughed at her, cause she was talking over the music and people.   "What the fuck, your on your cell phone sweetie?"

You reminded me that I called my girlfriend during the 2nd set and just held it in the air for 2 solid minutes. If it wasn't for her allergies she would have came :\

I totally agree with you on the dancers. Although it may be neat it can be very distracting and the end result isn't what the band would want...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good friend of mine says to wear a tank top, hold your arms up high and dance real close to the talkers....  not many like to visit a flailer's

pity city    :rofl:

I do this.  I spread my wings a mile long, and I spin faster than professional ice skaters!!!      It does not always work.    My frustration in yelling at people to shut up was a culmination of several experiences.

1st.   I was spinning and some kid out of no where locks arms with me, and starts doing the docie doe..  I tried to free myself, but he literally locked up.   Its not fun for me.  I enjoy dancing with others, but not drunk kids that think they are having fun and get that close.  Not cool.

2nd.  Some chick is on a cell phone?  What?  , But I laughed at her, cause she was talking over the music and people.   "What the fuck, your on your cell phone sweetie?"   She stood right in the middle of the section I was dacning in.   Her little big hippy male friend finally found her, and they both stood right in the middle where I was dancing.

I use up a lot of space, but share it with other dancers-------they would not move, so I danced circles around them!!   Literally, and made it obvious for everyone to see!!  They were my fire ring, and I was a spirtual indian dancing to my legends:}!!!     I am confident to say I can dance circles around some, and proved it to all who saw:}    For me that is a kind tactic!!

Finally got frustrated during China Doll.  That song is so special, and so gentle.  It  builds up to a overwhelming vocal extreme, and to really enjoy and feed from that power, you got to hear it in all its glory.  

Yea---I can move to sweet spots, and I did.    People in VIP stage area, were ALL kind of enough after first night to give me good dance room!!    And the sound near the hill and Porta potties Barraco side was good, with plenty of room.  Just a lot of children playing, which I am super careful about!!!   The white pvc cable covers took out a lot of people, and that is where I was first night, near the sound board. 

At times though, you get very comfortable where you are dancing--- for many reasons, and it sucks to have to move to enjoy the music that others are taking for  granted.  

I even disagree with the fire dancers.  They encourage people to not dance for themselves, and watch others.  I know I am sounding like an elitiest snob.   oh well----perhaps......I just love the magic so much.

-----It is really nice to see all the post Jubilee energy on the boards!!!!   

JamminOnthe1-----I have always said, and many agree----get a group of dancers in a area, and we are power in numbers.  People tend to stay away!!!!!  

Sudds94--------That is why I do not wear deodarant to shows.  I do try the stink method!!!!

shhhhhhhh

I use up a lot of space, but share it with other dancers-------they would not move, so I danced circles around them!!   Literally, and made it obvious for everyone to see!!  They were my fire ring, and I was a spirtual indian dancing to my legends:}!!!     I am confident to say I can dance circles around some, and proved it to all who saw:}    For me that is a kind tactic!!

Scott and I noticed this move on the first night and it made us laugh, we thought it was pretty cool.  We did this a few times ourselves.  I was just super impressed that on night 3 with all our flailing,  and people walking all around us, we didn't touch or bump into one person....  Now that's some positive, electric energy that was created

• Forum MVP

I can't stand talkers, really can't stand them.  However, I despise at shows even more, just ruins the vibe.  I think the solution is working with the band your seeing and the venue.  A little pre-planning to gather like minded show goers and take over a NO TALKING SECTION.  Maybe coordinate with the venue to put up "this is a no talking section...if you want to chat or answer your phone please go someplace else"  or even everyone who joins in wear a SHUT THE FUCK UP WHEN THE BAND IS PLAYING shirt from Heather's store :)http://www.cafepress.com/bubblebrain/7792209

I usually just move.  However, at a Furthur show in Cincy a few years back, the crowd was singing along with the band so loudly that I could not hear the band singing.  That was much worse than talkers.  There is no escaping that.  It was like they were singing to prove they knew the lyrics.

Back in the day, someone would tell the singers "Hey! I paid to hear Jerry sing it!."  LOL.

• Advisory Board

On the subject of the talkers... I have NO problem telling people to shut the fuck up... when ballads are being played, shut the fuck up...

Selling nitrous at the Jubilee huh? Well if I was there and would have seen it, I would have snapped that fucking valve in a New York minute, like I did one other time when some wooks were slinging it right next to the bus. Hippie crack, bad for the scene. Can't stand it or the scumbags that sell it.

Greg, these werent wooks... they were just a few kids who had a personal tank, and were being VERY discreet about it... I had no issue with  a personal tank, but those assfucks on the east coast, who call themselves the mafia... fuck them

************************************************* SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU GUYS :lol: ***************************************

really though, I had a really good friend that loved the show  ( Variety Playhouse, his first) but we had two girls in front of use that we like OMG and LOL and WTF and all that shit. Really spoiled it for him, I know he was a little juiced but he really just wanted to hear the music and chill, not hear about boyfriends and curtains in so and so's apartment,

I can't stand talkers, really can't stand them.  However, I despise at shows even more, just ruins the vibe.  I think the solution is working with the band your seeing and the venue.  A little pre-planning to gather like minded show goers and take over a NO TALKING SECTION.  Maybe coordinate with the venue to put up "this is a no talking section...if you want to chat or answer your phone please go someplace else"  or even everyone who joins in wear a SHUT THE FUCK UP WHEN THE BAND IS PLAYING shirt from Heather's store :)http://www.cafepress.com/bubblebrain/7792209

those shirts and the Star head shirts are so cool

• Forum MVP

I don't wear deodorant (boss had to tell me to do so for work now that I gotta 9-5 and I do but ONLY for work lol) and i have had success pit-facing people, for sure. A nice fart can really sweeten my own vibe and ruin theirs. Hehe.

Verbally.... It is always wrong in my not so humble opinion to rudeley tell ppl to shut the Fuck up. Bad form. It misrepresents us. Remember that MOST ppl, esp at a festive in Ohio are used to going to shitty shows (aka, electronic dubstep or whatever the kids r calling it today) and at those shows there is nothing to do BUT talk and catch up and snort a lil more.

A gentle and heartfelt explanation about how this is my fave band, this is the GD for me, or something very very often works really well if the person is not to wasted to understand the words exiting my mouth. The wasted ones that won't budge from quiet and kind exchanges r not worth you ruining your show over, so its best to just move.

NO spot is YOUR spot and that mentality is what is wrong w so much of the world today and I go to shows to escape that vibe. I have been punched in the gut at furthur for silently blocking a dude from pushing through and I admit I was taken to telling girls they were "disrespecting the goddess" for a number of tours, but at this point I know each asshole distracting me is put in my path so that I have to do the RIGHT thing, not just what makes MY ego feel better. Many lessons learned as a rail rat and I know many will continue to present themselves.

And as for drugs.... It's like anything else, do what makes you happy, look out for everyone, and keep that nitrous shit in your HOUSE I PROMISE its waaaay better on your couch listening to gd music than in a lot or field where u only supported turning the scene into a greedy sketch party.

Are you kind? Ask yourself that bf speaking to ppl at shows (or anywhere!) This thought (thanks Rick n Jenna) is on my mind constantly.

• Forum MVP

I think its best just to move on and find a new space ,,,, no need for any ruckus ,,,, always be a part of team fun , not the crazy annoying flag waving team fun ,,,, be a part of  the team fun that don't cause any stupid shit and has a damn good time ...

At least their flags were above the band.  I hate the people that have signs or whatever that blocks my view. 

I didnt notice as many talkers at Jubilee up front, but at that Bloomington accoustic show, the talkers were so annoying!!!  OMG this idiot was turned around all night not even watching the show and yapping in this weird high pitched voice.  I think the slower pace of that accoustic show caused an increase in the talkers.  During space you always get more people chatting than during the jams.

I usually get pretty close to the stage and boogie, so if you're talking, I ain't listening.  But what drives me nuts is out of control, fucked up, dancing.  Everyone, bumps someone every now and then. A quick nod and a laugh and it's all forgotten.  But when the same fucked up asshole, constantly crashes into you, over and over... lets just say, it gets my Irish up. And THAT is totally counterpoint to what I'm trying to accomplish.

I usually get pretty close to the stage and boogie, so if you're talking, I ain't listening.  But what drives me nuts is out of control, fucked up, dancing.  Everyone, bumps someone every now and then. A quick nod and a laugh and it's all forgotten.  But when the same fucked up asshole, constantly crashes into you, over and over... lets just say, it gets my Irish up. And THAT is totally counterpoint to what I'm trying to accomplish.

here here. but u got some discenters on this board. i think they call it thrashing. or flailing i think.

• Forum MVP

There is a huge difference between the graceful twirling of the flailers and the inconsiderate boorish behavior of which Scott is rightfully complaining. And whatever it is that we flailers do, we don't inflict it on the folks enjoying themselves up front.

Yeah, flailing requires space and the back is usually where you'll find me, plus I rarely bump into someone unless they walk right into me, I try to feel everyone's energy around me and it's amazing how little you bump into even a group of 15 or 20 of us dancing around in a smaller space.  Very cool feeling....

• Forum MVP

Yeah, flailing requires space and the back is usually where you'll find me, plus I rarely bump into someone unless they walk right into me, I try to feel everyone's energy around me and it's amazing how little you bump into even a group of 15 or 20 of us dancing around in a smaller space.  Very cool feeling....

what you are describing is, for me, an integral part of the experience without which I probably would have spent way less of my life pursuing all that is the Grateful Dead.....movement, in harmony, on the crest of a wave rolling away the dew.

• Forum MVP

if you are alone, not dancing in a group, the front is a great place for dancing. sometimes there is more room there than anywhere but maybe in the chuckzone.  Phil's first show with them comes to mine, when I only left to be with friends, cause that front area was divine!

at this point, however, I know too many people, and they ALL COME TO THE FRONT when I am dancing there and it makes me feel a little bad for the talkers that we cut off by dancing in a group on top of them. they are just trying to enjoy in their own drunken way.  I do love the girls that end up surrounding me at most shows, now, and the boys, too, makes me feel less alone up there on the rail.  i feel like the band would rather watch dancers, not people on their cell phones.  so i do my part.  

dancing in the back has never kept talkers away from me or lowered "incidences" but it SURE IS fun to dance with all you dork stars that kick it in the back all night, flailing away the dew.  

flailers, you guys, don't run into people.  now, the moshers with the ego issues, THEY fuck people up and I don't like dancing around people who are attached to "THEIR SPACE" cause wtf, its GD, WHAT SPACE!?!?

love!

• Forum MVP

There's something, maybe a lot, to be said about dancing with other people. Like the band members communicate musically to each other we do in movement. Not trying to put you or your ways down, Velvet, so don't get your panties in a ruffle over it :o

Archived