He's Gone

stlblues

• Forum MVP

I didn't know much about the lead-up to this so this article was a bit of an eye-opener.

So sorry this happened and it is indeed a cautionary tale for festivals going forward.

dont_tread_on_me.86154047_std.jpg

• Forum MVP

This has been discussed in other threads, and his case epitomizes the invidious nature of asset forfeiture laws. Unfortunately they work from a law enforcement perspective; the chilling effect on any large concert or other entertainment venue is obvious. And even on the individual level (forgotten roach in the car ashtray) they can be one more tool in the one-sided arsenal. I doubt these laws (state or federal), along with similar civil RICO laws, are going away anytime soon. They are just too tempting a cash cow.

• Forum MVP

Chuck you won't see it but Americans are raised proud. As soon as the farce of government promoted fear around "terrorism" is erased, the people will pry their rights back from the cold dead fingers of authority. I will not participate. I don't have the heart for violence but this country is spiraling itself towards revolution. America will have a second independence day. Once the seeds of freedom are planted, anything less than freedom will not satisfy the soul.

Interesting note. The NSA collects all this data to fight terrorist. Yet we ignore the data an 9/11 happens. Then the Russians warn us about 2 crazy kids in Boston. We ignore those warnings and let that deal go down too. I don't fully believe this but it seems like they let bad things happen to strengthen their strangle hold on the power and consequently, the money.

It is time to wake up. The laws in this country are a farce. The exist to empower and enrich the ruling class.

In 1776 and more importantly 1789, the fathers of this country started a grand experiment. The results are in. The American people have proven they aren't worthy of freedom or democracy because they will freely sacrifice those things for security and comfort. A government can guarantee your freedom but they can only pretend to give you security.

Thomas Jefferson would be asking you to assemble with your pitch fork and rifle. Sam Adams has already fired shots. 53 % of Americans care so little about privacy rights that they support the NSA spying on everyone in the name of terrorism. Jefferson and Adams have rolled over in their graves. We collectively myself included piss on their legacy and have failed our forefathers.

It's a sad time to be a proud American. You are so proud but you really don't have anything to be proud about. You are not free and you are not secure. You have abandoned your core values and for what, so people can die at a marathon and the government can read your email.

• Forum MVP

Oh ya almost forgot. I was a member of amnesty international in high school. Its time to write letter to free political prisoners. This time at home. Free Jimmy and all the other prisoners of the American war machine.

• Forum MVP

The first sentence in your initial post is a bit of an internal non sequitur, but I guess I get the gist of it. I absolutely agree that some form of reckoning, be it a resort to Second Amendment rights or by ballots rather than bullets, is coming. It could arrive sooner than some might think, possibly even within my short remaining life span. Things take on a life of their own and seem to accelerate more and more quickly these days. The whole world really is watching. I just hope politics don't become a contact sport here.

I am not getting into a dialogue here but I would like to make two short comments that stem from very deeply held convictions.

First, I am extremely proud to be an American and believe that there is much in this country of which to be proud. For all of our country's flaws, here is no other place on this planet where I would rather live.

Second, I have no doubt that a hard rain's going to fall. Shadow dancing the apocalypse won't be easy. But you know, it's gonna be all right.

• Advisory Board

Let the apocalypse come.... im armed and ready...this country needs to be shaken like a baby that wont stop crying.... maybe that was a bad analogy but you get what im sayin....

• Forum MVP

Chuck,

I think the fear of terrorism will keep the hounds of revolution at bay long enough for you to past onto another more beautiful place. One you can truly be proud of. Members of your generation including my mother constantly say that there is no better place on earth and that they are very proud to be an American. I'm proud to be alive and find my own place on this rigged system. I get that but I would also have been proud if I was English or Saudi or Brazilian. I don't feel like you or my mom have much to compare your experience with. Sure you visited other countries but have you ever been a citizen elsewhere. The there's no place better statement to me lacks context and comparision. I truly believe that everyone and anyone who wants to avoid depression and pointless life must be proud of their track and their life. I'm just saying that the rest of the world may have agreed at one point that America was the best place on earth but I certainly don't think they believe that now. There opinion is just as valuable to the outsider as yours and just like your opinion is more valuable to you personally, their opinion is more valuable to themselves then yours.

This has been discussed in other threads, and his case epitomizes the invidious nature of asset forfeiture laws. Unfortunately they work from a law enforcement perspective; the chilling effect on any large concert or other entertainment venue is obvious. And even on the individual level (forgotten roach in the car ashtray) they can be one more tool in the one-sided arsenal. I doubt these laws (state or federal), along with similar civil RICO laws, are going away anytime soon. They are just too tempting a cash cow.

show me an example of asset forfeiture due to a roach 

Chuck you won't see it but Americans are raised proud. As soon as the farce of government promoted fear around "terrorism" is erased, the people will pry their rights back from the cold dead fingers of authority. I will not participate. I don't have the heart for violence but this country is spiraling itself towards revolution. America will have a second independence day. Once the seeds of freedom are planted, anything less than freedom will not satisfy the soul.

Interesting note. The NSA collects all this data to fight terrorist. Yet we ignore the data an 9/11 happens. Then the Russians warn us about 2 crazy kids in Boston. We ignore those warnings and let that deal go down too. I don't fully believe this but it seems like they let bad things happen to strengthen their strangle hold on the power and consequently, the money.

It is time to wake up. The laws in this country are a farce. The exist to empower and enrich the ruling class.

In 1776 and more importantly 1789, the fathers of this country started a grand experiment. The results are in. The American people have proven they aren't worthy of freedom or democracy because they will freely sacrifice those things for security and comfort. A government can guarantee your freedom but they can only pretend to give you security.

Thomas Jefferson would be asking you to assemble with your pitch fork and rifle. Sam Adams has already fired shots. 53 % of Americans care so little about privacy rights that they support the NSA spying on everyone in the name of terrorism. Jefferson and Adams have rolled over in their graves. We collectively myself included piss on their legacy and have failed our forefathers.

It's a sad time to be a proud American. You are so proud but you really don't have anything to be proud about. You are not free and you are not secure. You have abandoned your core values and for what, so people can die at a marathon and the government can read your email.

there is zero chance of a second revolution. they (we) can tape my every move - plant a chip in my brain that records my every thought for all i care.  the only thing i need in exchange is the 16th amendment repealed

• Forum MVP

Rick, the quality of your writing does help to alleviate your myopia. Know, young grasshopper, that context will come to you in time and you will appreciate the callow nature of your current view. Life experience grows from more than a short life spent in front of a computer screen and a trip to a beach in Jamaica. I acknowledge that you are getting down from your mountain regularly on your Dean Moriarty trip but remember, the highway is for gamblers.

Ducats, I guess if we didn't have you we'd have to invent you for comic relief. Thanks for helping to liven up the days between.

Rick, the quality of your writing does help to alleviate your myopia. Know, young grasshopper, that context will come to you in time and you will appreciate the callow nature of your current view. Life experience grows from more than a short life spent in front of a computer screen and a trip to a beach in Jamaica. I acknowledge that you are getting down from your mountain regularly on your Dean Moriarty trip but remember, the highway is for gamblers.

Ducats, I guess if we didn't have you we'd have to invent you for comic relief. Thanks for helping to liven up the days between.

my pleasure

and Rick; keep speaking with wisdom like a child, but remember the grass aint greener either side of the hill.

• Forum MVP

I'm glad you found context Chuck. I feel I may have more context than you think but its okay I don't have 30 years upon my head and you can still call me child. I certainly have a lot of loving and growing to do. I would like to say that even though Nixon and Vietnam may have shook your foundation in the goodness of almighty US. It was not nearly the police state its become today.

Ducats

I can't say for sure any new revlotuion is coming. It would take an intellectual revolution first and America seems to be digressing intellectually. More kids with degrees but less intellectuals. Even thinkers like Chuck have become so hardened they believe things can't be changed. The social condition will not shift. You work to get by and then ya die. You can't improve your society.

Even if the US is the best place on Earth. Shouldn't we strive to do better? Become more free not less. Allow more people to enjoy the riches not less.

I've been called a dreamer. You dreamt once too.

• Forum MVP

When I was significantly younger there was a war on, as Rick noted. Times were pretty damn polarized, then as now. Some said "America, love it or leave it." The counter position was articulated as "America, change it or lose it."

As a proud member of my g-g-generation, I went with the latter view. For all the subsequent strange ch-ch-changes, I still believe. That's one reason I flail.

• Forum MVP

If by context you mean getting old, I'm glad I'm not at your stage yet.  If by context you mean catching some shows, your year of bliss has been over for a while old man.  I have much more recent contextual clues than you.   :dsorocks:

My friend had his car confiscated in Tennessee for a roach.

show me an example of asset forfeiture due to a roach 

• Forum MVP

I did a quick and dirty Google search under "asset forfeiture egregious" and found some true horror stories. I admit I didn't go on Westlaw and look for any reported cases. Anectodal tales seem to be bad enough. Even though Congress acted to amend some of the worst aspect of the Federal law, I think they will be with us until the revolution brings the Jubilee.

• Forum MVP

I am afraid revolution probably means military dictatorship.  The scary thing is that the only complete solution may be a complete tear down and rebuild.  A major population change.  Something that I'm not even sure man can bring about or at least not without nuclear weaponry.  The stuff of Gods.

Archived