A Growth in the DSO Fan Base?

Alabama Getaway

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Yes, yes I have. A very marked growth. I don't know that things will ever become mainstream in the sense that post-Touch GD became mainstream (to the extent that it was), but the DSO fan base is now more than a niche market under the jam band umbrella. This is simply my observation; your experience may differ.

What I see and this is only me, are allot of people myself included that loved the GD but were not able to get on the original bus b/c of age. We found Panic, Phish or what have you and went on tour for ourselves. Then you have Furthur come on the scene and we are stoked at our chance with the dead and the original scene. We dig Furthur and are told of this other thing JK had going called DSO and that it may be what we r really in search of. A little taste of DSO and bam here we r happy and wondering how deep the rabbit hole will go, but a little uneasy that the secret will get out!

• Forum MVP

Mainstream= party is key, band is background

DSO= music is key, party is inevitable

My girl from Cali just came to stay a spell and we were just talking about this kind of thing last night.  It seems that most performances these days are just background for our busy bee talking party as humans- putting the focus at those shows on EACH OTHER which is pretty cool, I guess.  I was content with it until I found DSO, myself.  Then I realized that there are acts that facilitate the cosmic, non-verbal oneness that we can all communicate with at anytime but forget to or ignore.  I realized that by watching jawdropped in rapt attention and then remembering to spin, I learn more about the people around me most nights than if we had all used words to share what we were feeling and doing.  THIS is where its at for me.

From the moment I stepped through the doors at a DSO show, I realized THIS was not a cover band in the normal sense of the word.  That first night my mind kept circling on the thought "these are the kid brothers and sisters of the grateful dead!" though I knew nothing about the Dead.  it felt right.  SOOOOOO RIGHT!

And now i am about to go to my 85th show.  I lost a boyfriend cause he couldn't handle when JK left (man, we used to CRY like ALL the time, and I STILL go to shows and have hug/single tear sessions of reverie from those days that I only got a few of! That ol' weeping willow.... man, I'm stoked for JKBand this weekend w some RMGDR fri and DSO all next weekend, I don't get 2 weekends of GD in a row much anymore, ugh!) I lost the other one cause he's been to more shows than me (hehehehe lmao) and the most recent one I left because he couldn't see why a 30 yr old wanted to just go see a cover band all the time.  I can't keep a job for longer than a few months/a year because touring is more important. But you know, EVERY TIME I can feel the times a changing, EVERY TIME I think I can't take this sick, sad world anymore, BAM, there I am at DSO standing at Jeff and Rob B's feet and somehow whatever needs to happen always happens whether I move, meet someone, change professions, etc, all it takes is a night of magic and I can always handle the rest.  

Cause they aren't a "cover band" and as more people realize they got what we need so desperately these days (you know what I'm talking about, that special sparkling feeling in your heart that makes you go to the show and pine for it when you can't and post on here like a big dork star every day).  So, the crowds will grow.

But, Chuckles is right.  I think it would be hard to ever categorize them in ANY mainstream category.  But I must say, it is AWFULLY nice that after JK went off to make dreams from ashes, all kinds of people in the community that just LAUGHED at us or WORSE before have really come around.  I say this more with knowledge from stories of others, but in the short time I went before he left I got PLENTY of that crap.  Now, people think I'm cool cause I saw them with JK.  Silly world.

Let it grow.  But don't let em dominate the rap and let everyone who is already there shine the light in those strange places to keep the love in the dream.

Red Rocks, Star Child, RED ROCKS! THAT will be the show! 

• Forum MVP

he probably thought that no star heads can afford an airplane ticket because HE is the ONLY professional that listens to the grateful dead.....  :rofl:

being a weirdo, myself, with dreads and a free love attitude grounded in my own silly spiritual quest, I find that those like me, often erroneously labelled as hippies (a dead culture, hahaha) are actually quite the minority at this music.  Though he had dreads to his ass, and a GIANT, WONDERFUL tape collection, he was more into counting it all up than letting it all go.  bummer.  

can't date a guy who is gonna insinuate that Chuckles is a bliss ninny!!!! (btw, lets be bliss ninnies together again sooooooon!!!)

• Forum MVP

Just goes to show it doesn't matter what you wear. And I will be at Red Rocks in a month. I think I could squeeze in a trip next year for a worthy cause. That would be bliss for sure. I'd ninny out!

• Forum MVP

Red Rocks:

simpHomerDrool_2006f.jpg

Blues Traveler and Moe have the 4th of July slot.  Ummmm.......REALLY?!?

I also see John Mayer and Barry Manilow for chirst sakes!!

DSO:  You got this.

:dsorocks:

I think DSO has all the mainstream popularity it wants. The cool thing about what DSO does is they don't need mainstream popularity. With the talent each member possesses and projects the have on the side I consider DSO an All Star group. They have respect within the improvisational music community and that's all you need if you're truly all about the music like the GD was...

If you play good music, live music lovers will find you :)

• Advisory Board

Red Rocks is 20 minutes from my house... so fuck yeah, let's do it...

As far as the DSO scene and the fans, yes it's definatly gotten bigger in the 13 years I've been seeing/touring with them... I remember when they used to play this shithole in Baltimore called The Funk Box, definatly would not work there anymore.. now, they are playing places like The Capitol in NY, The Fillmore in DC (soon to come), and other big halls, yes, they are getting a much bigger fan base...

Red Rocks is 20 minutes from my house... so fuck yeah, let's do it...

As far as the DSO scene and the fans, yes it's definatly gotten bigger in the 13 years I've been seeing/touring with them... I remember when they used to play this shithole in Baltimore called The Funk Box, definatly would not work there anymore.. now, they are playing places like The Capitol in NY, The Fillmore in DC (soon to come), and other big halls, yes, they are getting a much bigger fan base...

Hi Does DSO have a plan to come to the Fillmore in DC (actually Silver spring)  If so I assume that it would be instead of the 930 club?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

On a different note, How about Hawaii?? I believe that there are only two states in which DSO has not performed....Hawaii and South Dakota. I've been looking for an excuse to go to Hawaii for a while, essentially just waiting for a dark star field trip. Alaska was a freakin blast.....Let's do this!!!!

Hawaii!!!!

!!

• Forum MVP

I hate to say this but I get more pleasure out of a DSO show than what I'm hearing from Furthur.

1. why do hate saying that?

2. What took you so long?

3. It's all good .... but I travel for DSO.

• Forum MVP

the few... the proud.... the dork stars.........

it IS all good(ish).  but I would do about ANYTHING to see DSO any given day.  and i do.  regularly.  reference prev post. 

any other performance by any other band and its a price and convenience weighed very carefully kinda game.

DSO, and its a "what can I go without so I can have this" attitude because they are the only ones worth the sacrifice because they always fill you up more than what you gave up.

ah.... drooling over dreams of fall west coast tour and making my pile of give this shit up so we can get there ;)

• Forum MVP

Several times in my life I have relearned the simple fact that there is a price for being free. I am also coming to terms with the realization that it all rolls into one. But I'm still excited to get on jet airplanes to go see them. And to see you all.

• Forum MVP

This year hasn't quite panned out they way I like it show-attendance-wise but I'm getting it together for a big year in 2014. Look out. If things go well I'll be returning to my old stomping grounds for some good ol' fall/winter east coast DSO. Yay.

Archived