A Growth in the DSO Fan Base?

Alabama Getaway

• Forum MVP

I hate to say this but I get more pleasure out of a DSO show than what I'm hearing from Furthur.

1. why do hate saying that?

2. What took you so long?

3. It's all good .... but I travel for DSO.

Answers:

1. General attitude is that bands with core members are better. Not true.

2. I'm a little slow.

3. I'll travel in mid-west, my cross country traveling days are over.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Gotta revive this thread in lieu of the recent experiences at series of venues.

The quality of the venue is not so much the basis of this post (although it sucks that Ft. Lauderdale was such a debacle) but rather to see what folks think of DSO possibly needing to move up in venue-size. In a nutshell, the word is indeed out about DSO being a stalwart in the jamband music scene and the gold-standard for the expression of the GD catalogue.

I think we are at an inflection point of fan-demand for DSO.  While the tour-by-tour rotation of venues hasn’t changed markedly, the number of people wanting to see them looks to have stepped-up.  Don’t get me wrong – I am really happy that the band has increased its visibility and hopefully there is more fruit for that labor.  2300+ shows are a testament to the bands life-long commitment as well as wonderful affirmation of its place in this important genre.

With success come obvious challenges.  The one that I can relate to the most is the over-sold condition at a growing number of venues.  While the band keeps finding new heights with the quality of their play, the experience of fans has suffered to some extent.  Sure > there are some venues where there is enough space and everyone gets what they want.  Other places are a different story.  I’m no longer a prolific DSO show-goer (if I ever really was) so I can’t see this effect as well as some others, but I don’t think I’m wrong.  I will endure the travails of cramped occupancy but it does degrade the experience.  I’ve tried very hard to overcome this but the truth remains.

If DSO continues with no wholesale changes to venue consideration, there are going to be some folks who decide that they have to be more and more strategic about where they decide to see the band.  This may mean they will have to see fewer shows – which would be a shame.  Maybe this effect causes more folks to ‘bow-out’ of most shows and then the crowd levels will recede a bit.  I really have no idea what would happen.  Darts at a dartboard.

I understand that moving up in venue will increase the operational costs of the performances which might lead to higher ticket prices.  I also suspect that the DSO experience will be different at larger facilities which may serve to disillusion a group of fans.  It’s a tough Catch-22 for sure.

I think the lesser of the 2 ‘evils’ would be to move-up in venue as I think more of the DSO experience could be better maintained when compared to the effect of a chronically over-sold show.  Maybe they just move up in certain ‘hot-spots’ but keep the occupancy the same for some the interior locations of the US.  I’m probably clueless here as there are people who have forgotten more than I will ever know about this subject - Just my .02.

I’m not afraid of change.  I’m just afraid of losing too much of what makes DSO what it is to me.  I'm told there's a song or 2 about this fear :)

Either way – Buckle Up.    

• Forum MVP

Good points to bring up, Tea. I think part of the issue is that the venues that hold 1000-1500 are fairly plentiful, but 2500-3000 (which might be the right size for DSO to step it up in some cities) are quite rare (I'm sure someone will post examples of this size to prove me wrong). It seems that there is a gap and the next step up tends to be in the 5000 range which would be too big of a step to take at this point.

Another possible solution, which I've mentioned before, would be for tours to focus on more double headers (same venue for two, or even 3 shows) to help spread the crowd out and simplify the operation for the band, crew, and heads out to catch 5 or 6 shows. Of course that might limit how many towns they reach, but if growth is what is happening, won't people come to them wherever they are?

Should be interesting these next couple years,,,may we all find the space to flail as needed on the dance floor...

• Forum MVP

I'd say the issue is there aren't alternatives in many areas. Plus selling out shows is prob better than selling a few extra tix and spending way more for a bigger venue if there are even bigger venues. Places with seats generally suck. DSO gravitates to venues with open floor plan which we need. Plus a packed show can be lots of fun too. I've loved empty shows and packed ones alike. But....I hate bad sound!!!!! Lexington was really weak on speaker setup. I'll take a packed show and epic sound vs tons of room and weak sound any day of the week. That being said I don't get the big sold out shows. Midwest allows for usually plenty of room to move so I can't speak for u guys who get packed in in DC and other places like that.

• Forum MVP

Good contributions here.

I realize that the devil is in the details and things are not as simple as they may appear.  I agree with the 'seats' part for sure.  Even if it's still GA, that would take some air out of the balloon for me.  Still, getting forced further away from the sound is also very unappealing.  Dealing with oversold conditions is a younger-mans game even though I'm young at heart :)

The only comment I have on  this thread is that to the extent, balconies or additional room in the venues are roped off where having them open would add to the Aesthetic and comfort of  the show, to the extent possible strongly suggest the venue open them up.

Nothing worse than being packed in like a sardine, impossible to get a drink for move when there is room for an additional 300 people upstairs not being utilized.  Makes no sense.  The Pageant in St. Louis is an example of this and I am sure there  are others.  Having said that I realize that most and perhaps even all of the time, the Band has zero control over this.

• Forum MVP

This is not an issue for us to decide .....

sorry but that is the plain honest truth ....we are the FANS ....we are not the band, manager, etc ....

I'm the arbitor of nothing - I just thought it would be intersting to discuss even though it won't make any difference.  I was just curious if the oversold conditions were impacting FANS perception of the experience.

The bottom line from Island Bro sums it up though

I saw my first DSO show in Feb. 2000 at the Newport in Columbus Oh.

DSO have been playing together for a long time and I've watched them go from playing clubs and festivals, To headlining festivals, to hosting their Jamaica trip, and their own festival.

I'd say their stock is on a definite upswing.

I'm hoping they don't have to stop playing the Newport and switch to the LC Pavilion ( stricter security )

I think their future is pretty secure

I love the idea of playing multiple nights in cites. That I could go to both nights. Back to back shows they did in Buffalo last year were awesome. I really have never felt too crowded at a show. Whatever happens Please NO SEATS!!! SEATS SUCK!!!  If you are at a DSO show and you are sitting then you might be at the wrong show or possibly sick or injured.

• Forum MVP

gratefulWEST? can't we have a summer festival here in CO with DSO all to ourselves? why just the jubilee in trusty ol' ohio (i mean, I get the REASONING, but still)….?  isn't state bridge tucked away enough that we can keep it cozy?

oh. i get it.  that's the whole issue.  thanks, Tea, this is a concept that needed some renewal.  so many of us wanna see em, and it really is getting bigger every day.  we help to make sure of that! ;) what will I do when there are security telling me, "keep back!" and asking, "where's your ticket?" as I try to flail in the front? what will I do when the ticket prices are regularly over $50 per night? 

eh, would still do what I do every night, take over the front with unicorn magic, and get in with miracles and money from sales of groovy dead gear….. so…. really….

the issue is much more just simply where would they play, as Island Bro pointed out. there just isn't a proper size venue in most places that fits that comfy just exactly perfect spot.  

this is what brings me to the 'play longer at outdoor venues' thing cause really, there are no better venues than those we spin under the moon within.  spreading it out over longer nights in areas is def the ticket, and going outside is always an alternative to a too big or too small situation.

and, hey, since when was this forums not a place that we all tell the band EXACTLY what we think and what we think they should do?  i mean, come on, it's not like we've ever changed anything………. :P

• Forum MVP

Totally and completely agree with more multiple night runs. I'm traveling to regional shows anyway, but for one night. In my neck of the woods they used to routinely play 2 nights in Asheville and 2 in Charlotte. Now we do get the epic 2 night run in black mountain over summer, but haven't enjoyed a 2 night stand in Asheville or Charlotte in several years now (for the winter dates). Got a grate 5 night run in NC last summer but it was 1,1,1,2 nights. Lots of road miles, but 5 shows in 6 days = happy camper. Fuck it, the reward still trumps the effort!!

I really have never felt too crowded at a show. Whatever happens Please NO SEATS!!! SEATS SUCK!!!  If you are at a DSO show and you are sitting then you might be at the wrong show or possibly sick or injured.

Well if you want to alientate at least a decent percentage of yor fans, that would definitely be the approach to take.  While the demogragphic these days decidely is a younger crowd, not everyone is.  I'm 51 and like to dance, but I respect that there are older fans who might like to partake occasionally that frankly might have physical limitations,  and to DSO's credit they play a variety of venues many which include GA seating.  My point is in a situation where the venue closes the Balcony which includes seats, those older folks are in for a rough night. Understanding it's a young mans game.  The real interesing irony to this is when I was 16 and saw the Dead 6 times at the Uptown Theater in Chicago in 1978..People remained seated during the more quiet parts of the show...rising up in unison to dance at certain points...I love the dancing for the whole show  but point being it is interesting that this was not always the norm.  Some youngsters find this amusing (lol)

Let me amend my previous statement. I  did not mean no seats at all. I mean I prefer venues like Cleveland Hob, the Newport , Towne Ballroom where there is limited seating but an open floor in front for dancing. I am gong to see Ratdog at Shea's in Buffalo next week and will be forced to dance right in my seat area and that kinda sucks. I need room. I can respect older folks that may need a seat as I am 47 and may need a seat myself someday. But that day is not today or next Tuesday the 4th.

• Forum MVP

I would love to see DSO play Red Rocks.  For me it would be a 14 year completed arc.  It would truly be a sight to see.  Me thinks that if this were to happen it would be up to the loyal fan base of DSO to bring 10 people with them.  Red Rocks holds 9000+ we would need serious boots on the ground to fill the joint.  While I would like to see DSO solo at Red Rocks it would probably need to be a gathering of a few bands over a longer show.  How about Railroad Earth, Karl Denson, DSO trifecta?

I totally agree with the weekday shows being a less packed scene!

I tend to like the weekday shows better. Way less crowds especially in the cold months here on the east coast. The leaving work early, travel 5 or so hours, check out a show (Wilmington DE, some little theater on South Street Philly, comes to mind) and travel back to be at work at 8AM has taken a toll on me over the years. Not sure I am up to it any more. Surely, I will give it a shot sometime soon tho :)

Peace,

Joe

• Forum MVP

After seeing 20 GD or so shows back in the late eighties and early nineties, I was absolutely blown away by the scene at DSO this past August in Black Mountain. A crew of 12 old faithfuls trucked up to the shows and none of us knew what a treat we were in for with this band at this juncture. I think the band has grown since 2010 when I saw them at the Neighborhood theatre....a fantastic venue. The crowd at Pisgah Brewing was loving and appreciative with tons of good vibes. The passion and energy is there, for sure, to make a real heart opening experience. Man, my chakras were wide open by the end of the first night and bright as they had all the muck everyday life can bring cleared out. This is the time and place to fill your cup in my opinion. It is the resonating words sung from a true space and emotion the bands pour into the music that has my full attention and dedication. I am so thankful to have a spiritual place to express so I might share my gifts in a blessed way to my community in my job. After all, it really is about expressing those heart qualities within and growing in a synergistic space those qualities.

I think it will grow. For certain.

"This must be heaven, tonight I cross the line.

You must be the angel, I though I might never find.

Was it you I heard singing, Oh while I was chasin' dreams.

Driven by the wind, like the dust that blows around,

And the rain fallin' down, but I never know.

Got to be heaven, cause here's where the rainbow ends.

If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend.

When that wind blows, when the night's about to fall.

You can hear the silence call, it's a certain sort of sound,

Like the rain fallin' down."

• Forum MVP

Orpheus .....by me

We gathered in rings

To weave a mesh of sounds

With tambourine and drums

Reflecting the tune of our souls.

It begins in murmurs

As we move with certain purpose

Slowly working and writhing to climax

As our bodies move in tunes

Vibrating in electric intensity.

We made love to each other

Through sunshine and dance

A crystal of motion

Refracting paths

Barefoot in the treetops

With celestial rainbow rhythm.

Atlanta 1989, drum circle outside the Omni.

Archived