Furthur 2014 hiatus!

Alabama Getaway

• Forum MVP

MHB > Rock solid. Good change of pace although it doesn't always feed my need for straight up GD. Furthur is not cutting edge in terms up execution but they have great moments and are what they are.

I'm not a Furthur homer although my posts might suggest otherwise. Just offering it up since this board had been movin at a crawl during DSO's 6-week hiatus.

I'll post a/some Red Rox streams when/ if they come. 2nite is gonna be a good show - just a hunch :)

edit:  http://www.ustream.tv/channel/coloartist-streams

editx2:  hunch questionable after 2 songs....slow and sloppy.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Seems when dso breaks so do the boards. MHB was wonderful to hear at jubilee. If they came close to me I would gogo see. I c where they could be decribed as techno...had my spin with that stuff in euro for a year. I however hear MHB as a earthy electric mix of african rythm. Loved it. GD is my real love...and though it was nice to hear furthir recently. ..they don't move me like DSO. MHB moved me more than furthur. Hoping DSO plays another Roanoke show. I like hearing tjem in the mountains. Actually still jonesing over pisgah. 3 DAYS.......4 DAY FESTI EVENT. BRING IN Very Garcia for a opener. Honesrly furthir just recently teased me for dso. I really can't get over how good DSO sounds. I can't belive furthir filled virginia with 15000-20000 and dso had 3000-5000 @ jubilee. Better for us, but the level of music at jubilee far surpasses everything I heard at interlocken.

Thanks for keeping us updted T. Many of us enjoy your post and updates. Any one listened to casey jones from furthur workmans dead..interlocken? Thoughts on vocals toward end?

• Forum MVP

John K Band:

Thu - Oct 31 - 2013 Rams's Head Live

20 Market Place - Baltimore, MD - 21202

Halloween show! 

Sat - Nov 2 - 2013  The Southern Cafe & Music Hall

103 S. 1st St - Charlottesville, VA - 22902

Might check out charlotsville show. Might u be going late to the party?

• Forum MVP

Here is Night #2 at RR:

SET 1

JAM>

Hell In A Bucket

Ship Of Fools

Looks Like Rain

Pride of Cucumonga>

Truckin' Jam>

Pride of Cucumonga

Wharf Rat>

Throwing Stones>

NFA

Set II

TRUCKIN'>

New Potato Caboose>

St. Stephen>

Birdsong

Scarlet Begonias>

Fire on the Mountain>

Death Don't Have no Mercy>

Viola Lee Blues>

Touch of Grey

Donor Rap:

Attics Of My Life

1st set was ....,well .... Not good. It had its moments but some of them were bad and not enough good ones.

2nd set was....excellent! Much better tempo and energy and reduced sloppies. They were feelin it for the 2nd set. For 2nd nite, JK was the best of the bunch.

• Forum MVP

Sept. 21st 2013

Red Rocks Amphitheater

Set 1:

Feel like a Stranger>

Althea

Jack Straw>

Doin' that rag

Peggy-O

Mason's Children>

Promised Land

Set 2:

Dear Mr. Fantasy>

The Wheel>

Estimated Prophet>

Dark Star>

Standing on the Moon

Terrapin Flyer>

Unbroken Chain

Shakedown Street

All along the Watchtower

Turn on your Lovelight

E. Box of Rain

• Forum MVP

Red Rox closeout. Looky here > A friend for the 2nd set :)

Set 1

Samson & Delilah >
Foolish Heart >
Black Throated Wind
Brown Eyed Women
The Music Never Stopped
New Speedway Boogie
Deal

Set 2 (* w/Branford Marsalis on sax)
Weather Report Suite >
Let It Grow > *
Eyes of the World > *
Dark Star v2 > *
The Other One >
Morning Dew > *
Help on the Way > *
Slipknot! > *
Franklin's Tower *

E: Donor rap
Brokedown Palace

http://archive.org/details/Furthur2013-09-22.Audix_Omni

Hopefully with brother John having a lighter calendar next year, we can see some level of contribution with the DSO family. Been way too long to not share a song. Life is about family and JK is family.

Ain't no time to hate, barely time to wait...

• Forum MVP

Hopefully with brother John having a lighter calendar next year, we can see some level of contribution with the DSO family. Been way too long to not share a song. Life is about family and JK is family.

Ain't no time to hate, barely time to wait...

Randy , you speak more truth than anyone !!! but I really want to see JK fire up that little band of his and get on the road ... maybe have Melvin join in , get a better drummer and bass player ...

John K Band:

Thu - Oct 31 - 2013 Rams's Head Live

20 Market Place - Baltimore, MD - 21202

Halloween show! 

Sat - Nov 2 - 2013  The Southern Cafe & Music Hall

103 S. 1st St - Charlottesville, VA - 22902

Might check out charlotsville show. Might u be going late to the party?

I am going to try and make the Halloween show.  I was also at Lockn'.  I thought it was great.  I am with you nothing matches the vibrancy of DSO.  They let it all hang and take chances that pay big dividends.

I think the bass player is great.

I agree.  He's great and fun to watch

Red Rox closeout. Looky here > A friend for the 2nd set :)

Set 1

Samson & Delilah >

Foolish Heart >

Black Throated Wind

Brown Eyed Women

The Music Never Stopped

New Speedway Boogie

Deal

Set 2 (* w/Branford Marsalis on sax)

Weather Report Suite >

Let It Grow > *

Eyes of the World > *

Dark Star v2 > *

The Other One >

Morning Dew > *

Help on the Way > *

Slipknot! > *

Franklin's Tower *

E: Donor rap

Brokedown Palace

http://archive.org/details/Furthur2013-09-22.Audix_Omni

Full show in HD!

:dsorocks:

• Advisory Board

I went to 3 out of the 4 Furthur shows at Red Rocks last weekend, and I must say I was greatly impressed... Thursday night lacked the punch, but the music was still good... Friday was a great show, and Sunday was my favorite out of the 3 I saw.. I'm pretty sure that they'll be back for 2015 for the 50th anniversary..

• Forum MVP

I went to 3 out of the 4 Furthur shows at Red Rocks last weekend, and I must say I was greatly impressed... Thursday night lacked the punch, but the music was still good... Friday was a great show, and Sunday was my favorite out of the 3 I saw.. I'm pretty sure that they'll be back for 2015 for the 50th anniversary..

Good to c a public post from u Herdy! ! Happy u got some good tunes from Furthur. Must say to u... good job on your forum name. Though i dont know u, I think about u everytime I hear china doll, usually smile than say bastard afterwards. Never even knew what a herdy gerdy was until forums.

Be well!!

• Forum MVP

Red Rocks would look pretty empty if DSO played there. Just saying

Probably.  Wouldn't bother me a bit although I know RR would be tough to pull off without an expectation of a reasonable draw.  Something early in the season maybe?  I don't know enough about the business to know what's possible and what's not.  Blind faith can be a good thing....sometimes.

• Forum MVP

And that's what I don't get.   3 nights of Furthur at RR or 3 nights of DSO?    How can anyone who appreciates this sound even blink before answering that question?  

It is very obvious who is playing better sounds!!!!   But this stuff is all subjective.  All I want is dance space and loud sound:}!!!!!!

Further just has the crowd energy. Maybe because there are more people. I saw Sunday and it was as good if not better to me than any DSO or further show I have seen and I've been seeing DSO since 2004 and Further since their start. 3 nights of DSO at RR is just unrealistic. But I'll be at Boulder Theater!

• Forum MVP

Furthur has their moments but they honestly do not have the mojo that DSO does. Is Furthur way more popular? Sure they are. "Its Phil and Bobby maaaaaan!" I love those guys but Bobby is more of a liability musically. Plink, plink, plink, clang, screech. Phil can still bring it as can JK when the choke chain is loosened. I guess my point is that Furthur is a bigger draw - but not because they're better. Legacy.

So maybe RR is a pipe dream and unrealistic. So what - it has a very nice ring to it. DSO at Red Rocks > It just rolls off the tongue.

Have fun at the Boulder shows - even though you unsuccessfully tried to rain on my parade :)

Archived