The VIC

Tea

• Forum MVP

DSO recreated: 5/15/83

Set One: Touch Of Grey ; New Minglewood Blues ; Ramble On Rose ; Cassidy ; Brown Eyed Women ; Hell In A Bucket ; Althea ; Looks Like Rain > Deal

Set Two: Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower > Samson And Delilah ; He's Gone > Drums > Space > Truckin' > Stella Blue > Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away

Encore: It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

Filler: * Let Me Sing Your Blues Away ; *#That's What Love Will Make You Do

Notes: * with Pat Mallinger on Saxophone

*# with Pat Mallinger, Kevin Rosen on bass, and Ed Stevenson (Web Ed) on B-3 Organ.

• Forum MVP

Was not there, but brings a smile to my face that Kevin got to jam.  I am sure he misses playing for us DSO/GD addicts!!!!!

Seems like there was a packed stage as well!!     Would of love to seen how they fit the extra three on stage, but second guess, I guess two others took a break?

Just curious.   But I really wonder how a organ and a grand together would play out in sound.

If given the chance, you should always go?    I hear its a real good time:}

Great opening show to start off my 10-show run, as I get the chance to follow them from Chicago to Nashville.  The Vic started off spacious enough but filled in rapidly to the point of maximum population density.  Parking was $26, 12-oz drinks were $7.  Chicago welcomes your wallet and warms you up with toll roads to get there.  Help-Slip-Frank's was a great second set opener.  Lisa helped out for the encores and the sax was a nice additive, in just the right amount.  

Set One: Touch Of Grey ; New Minglewood Blues ; Ramble On Rose ; Cassidy ; Brown Eyed Women ; Hell In A Bucket ; Althea ; Looks Like Rain > Deal 
Set Two: Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower > Samson And Delilah ; He's Gone > Drums > Space > Truckin' > Stella Blue > Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away 
Encore: It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
Filler: * Let Me Sing Your Blues Away ; *#That's What Love Will Make You Do

• Forum MVP

Great opening show to start off my 10-show run, as I get the chance to follow them from Chicago to Nashville.

Awesome run. You will have a blast!!! This forum makes me jealous daily. I like to live vicariously through lots of guys here.

this was a solid show.  I really like 1983 Dead/JGB something about jerry's tone and ferociousness that really gets to me in his 1983 performances. 

Overall, if I am to be objective of the 3 shows I saw, I'd say that Madison thursday was best, followed slightly by Saturday, then this Friday show at the Vic.

Highlights of the show for me: New Minglewood, Cassidy, BE Women, Althea, Help on the Way, Stella Blue, Not Fade Away, and of course the Baby Blue encore.

I had a really great time.  I sure do wish they would allow re-entry into the damn venue.  It was super roasty inside, and taking a cigarette break was unfortunately not an option.  Add 7$ beers to the list (way pricier and worse selection than barrymore and pabst) and the venue itself really can't hang with the Barrymore or the Pabst.  Chicago is infamous for shaking down people for $$. 

• Forum MVP

The VIC is the worst venue i've ever been to. Maybe. No re-entry, bathrooms too small and people were smoking down there. cigarettes. gross. and grossly oversold....one of my least favorite DSO shows ever of which there are very few. Of course the show i'm referring to was two years ago...perhaps policies have changed..

• 4 weeks later...

Been to quite a few Chicago shows since the late 90's. They really had the magic happening at the Vic show. The venue is kind of a hindrance but despite that fact the place sounds fantastic.

just curious if there are ANY copies of this show floating around. This new forum guy would appreciate it greatly! :)

Scott

• Forum MVP

Aww. The Vic was my 1st ever DSO show in 2011. My ex was the how long is this song gonna last type so I didbt achieve nirvana at the show. But I've never been in a show that packed. Literally no way to move down low. We even tried to escape to the balcony but there was no room there either.

Archived