DSO at Wolftrap Aug 3

Late to the party

• Forum MVP

Wow......this has been a long time dream come true!

This venue is 10 minutes from my house. Excellent choice for the band! Think of a considerably smaller version of Merriweather Post Pavillion.

Caution to all.......this venue is condidered a federal park.......so getting busted for any illicits is a federal offense.......hence proceed with caution or consume before you walk in.

On the lawn, people bring in picnics. Should be a blast.

Why do we need cabins. Free place to stay 10 minutes away. I'm assuming that's why the reference?

• Forum MVP

Wow......this has been a long time dream come true!

This venue is 10 minutes from my house. Excellent choice for the band! Think of a considerably smaller version of Merriweather Post Pavillion.

Caution to all.......this venue is condidered a federal park.......so getting busted for any illicits is a federal offense.......hence proceed with caution or consume before you walk in.

On the lawn, people bring in picnics. Should be a blast.

Why do we need cabins. Free place to stay 10 minutes away. I'm assuming that's why the reference?

That's one way of reading it.      :580:

The area is probably not as woodsy as some of you might think. Sits in the middle of Fairfax county, which is the third wealthiest county in the US. I don't know how the law enforcement is in that area; the niceness of the area does make me wonder a bit.

• Forum MVP

acududeman ... If I had a DSO summer show 10 minutes from my house I would allow tents/camping in my back yard ....

just saying ... :friends:

heck if you charge 2 bits for a shower and 4 bits for bacon & eggs you could pay for your ticket ...

Giddyup !!

Yeah, townhouses don't tend to come with sprawling yards but rather rather tiny back patios, which right now house my and my girlfriend's motorcycles.     :shakehandhug:

• Forum MVP

I am pleased and a bit surprised that Wolftrap agreed to have DSO play there. The setting is bucolic, but decidedly suburban. In essence the venue is surrounded by very nice neighborhoods. The wealthy residents around Wolftrap were apparently mildly freaked out when thousands of hippies came to town when Phish played there in the early 90's. Since then the programming has stayed pretty safe and sanitized (think Tony Bennett and Chicago). String Cheese Incident and a couple of other "jam bands" have played there in recent years, but I think the management will be watching carefully to see how the crowd behaves (or not). This is a terrific opportunity for DSO to move to the next level of venue prestige (perhaps leading to places like Red Rocks and The Greek), so I am hoping that lots of tickets are sold and that the crowd is respectful. I, for one, would be THRILLED if Wolftrap became a regular summer stop for the band.  :grouphug:

There are lots of hotels within a 10-15 minute drive to the venue. Here are a few........these are all quite close to each other.

Best Western Tysons   8401 Westpark Drive           703-734-2800

Embassy Suites Tysons      8517 Leesburg Pike      703-883-0707

Residence Inn Tysons    8616 Westwood Center Drive    703-893-0120

Sheraton Premiere Tysons    8661 Leesburg Pike     703-448-1234

Comfort Inn Tysons      1587 Spring Hill Road       703-448-8020

Wolftrap is a very nice venue to see a show. It's clean, got class, and there isn't a bad seat in the house. I stopped over for the only show I've seen there back in the summer of 2001 during a day off from Phil's Summer Tour. The rumor was that Bobby and Phil would show up at Hornsby's show and we decided to be there if it came true. 

While it did not come true, Hornsby played a great show. His now deceased nephew R.S. Hornsby played killer guitar and they did play a magnificent Black Muddy River. John Molo, bruce's former drummer and then Phil drummer, did show up and do a jig on the stage. 

The scene was not the typical dead scene whatsoever. Some of us from tour were there, but it was a clean cut very upper middle class scene. Families brought in picnic lunches and the indoor vendors were selling glasses of wine. 

I managed to find a spot on the lawn to light up some herb, but I was the only one there who did so and was very nervous about it the whole time. I think with the DSO crowd it will be very cool. If I won the lottery, I'd fly in to see this Wolftrap show. It will prove to be special. Great job DSO!

• Forum MVP

The venue looks great.   Upperclass area definitely.   Actually its near one of the richest zipcodes in the country!!!   Just a warning to potential drivers.......I will not be driving, but I will be dancing at this place.  Its looks huge, speakers set up out of the seating zone for the lawn.  I hate dancing on inclines, so I will get a nice seat in a open isle, but I cant wait for open air DSO!!!!!!    The music is just that much better when dancing to the outside air!!!!   

• Forum MVP

String Cheese Incident and a couple of other "jam bands" have played there in recent years, but I think the management will be watching carefully to see how the crowd behaves

recent years? Sci played there one time and was summer of 2001

• Forum MVP

String Cheese Incident and a couple of other "jam bands" have played there in recent years, but I think the management will be watching carefully to see how the crowd behaves

recent years? Sci played there one time and was summer of 2001

Time does fly doesn't it ;)

• Forum MVP

it sure does! the talk of venue's surrounding location is reminding me of that Fredericksburg Va show at Celebrate Virginia Live i believe it was called, summer '09 show right after Gratefulfest..except it was just one huge lawn..they did an '86 show

it sure does! the talk of venue's surrounding location is reminding me of that Fredericksburg Va show at Celebrate Virginia Live i believe it was called, summer '09 show right after Gratefulfest..except it was just one huge lawn..they did an '86 show

that was a fun one!

Archived